EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » can someone tell me how to quit smoking?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can someone tell me how to quit smoking?
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any of ma peeps in here quit smokin cigs? i really wish i can stop but i cant cuz' they too tasty.
if yall can think of something wise azz to say to this, you gotst tooo much time on your hands loooool!
[Razz]

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabreeta
Member # 10071

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabreeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can use that Chantix stuff but I've heard from my close friend that the side-effects aren't exactly pleasant.
Posts: 126 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to quit at smoking at the moment. Personally i like the nicorette plastic cig because it gives a shot of nicotine and i can still go outside for a cig break with the girls at work.

Good luck quitting. I'm finding it really hard. I love smoking but its time to quit.

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried before to quit, and noticed that i began to get hungry a lot so i said, ;screw dat!' and went back loooool.
when im smoking, i can go for days without food and not even feel hungry.

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had bad ractions with nicotine patches! Need another solution.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister used the patch and highly recommends it. She has been a non smoker for about 5 years now, I think.

I never smoked cigarettes. [Smile]

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its so hard for sure, i always am stopping and starting.
No solution at all.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've quit and gone back several times in the past few years. You really have to want it. For me, it's relaxing and reduces stress a bit. I hate the taste and smell though to be honest.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kabreeta:
You can use that Chantix stuff but I've heard from my close friend that the side-effects aren't exactly pleasant.

no
i just used it
and it does not work
so i am useing nicaderm cq patches now and im smokin less its my 2 day so far so good
make sure u get the clera patches and not some generic brand!!!
start the first step first and stick too it!!!
also get a big bag of hard candy maybe jolly ranchers to keep yr mouth busy or some friut!!!
just stick with it i have been smokin 23 yrs so if i can quit anyone can!!!

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried just about everything. Nicotine patches and my skin do not get along... I get a bright red spot when trying to wear one.

Chantix I tried also, it's supposedly a mind/chemical receptor altering drug, didn't work for me... just made me feel a bit nauseous. It did suppress some urges at first but then it just started making me sick.. and all around weird feeling.

I just enjoy smoking too much. I wish it wasn't bad for me though. I would like to quit for the health benefits.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect:
I've tried just about everything. Nicotine patches and my skin do not get along... I get a bright red spot when trying to wear one.

Chantix I tried also, it's supposedly a mind/chemical receptor altering drug, didn't work for me... just made me feel a bit nauseous. It did suppress some urges at first but then it just started making me sick.. and all around weird feeling.

I just enjoy smoking too much. I wish it wasn't bad for me though. I would like to quit for the health benefits.

i got the same side affects from chantex i was always heavin but never vomited!!
i got bad migranes
the good thing was it regulated my periods and no meds ever did that!!!
hahahahahah
not even harmone pills

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a lot of people say that Wellbutrin (an anti depressant) works for them...don't ask me how/why, but my doctor once told me that it does help some people...

i quit cold turkey years ago...that was the best way for me...thankfully, it makes me so sick, dizzy and nauseated now that i don't think i'll ever go back.

good luck!

--------------------
"It's very important to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel." ~Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by walkingathinline:
a lot of people say that Wellbutrin (an anti depressant) works for them...don't ask me how/why, but my doctor once told me that it does help some people...

i quit cold turkey years ago...that was the best way for me...thankfully, it makes me so sick, dizzy and nauseated now that i don't think i'll ever go back.

good luck!

i tried that too it just made me mad all the time and irritable
so i quit that too my body hates drugs i think!!!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by walkingathinline:

So did I when finding out I am pregnant. And since I wasn't a heavy smoker it was rather kind of easy to give up this nasty habit!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sneaky_girl
Member # 15175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sneaky_girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just tried to eat chewing gum [Wink]
Posts: 49 | From: in the dessert | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pothead_Barbie:
i tried before to quit, and noticed that i began to get hungry a lot so i said, ;screw dat!' and went back loooool.
when im smoking, i can go for days without food and not even feel hungry.

I was the same last time i quit. I dont normally eat unless someone else is eating and i think mmm that smells nice i havent eaten for days maybe i should eat something ha ha but when i tried to quit i was hungrey all the time. I have got over that this time wil celery carrots and sugar free gum. It keeps my hands and mouth busy. It also helps with the cravings a bit. I have always been a heavey smoker and i really enjoy it so i dont think there is a quick fix to quitting. I wish there was. A lot of my friends have quit. One used a book, one used a hypnotisit some have used the happy pills from the doctors or nicottene replacement patches/gum/cigs. Try them all and see what works for you. I have tried most and not worked for me but i dont think my mind was in it.

This time when i quit i smoked right up till going to bed. threw out all lighters emptied ashtrays etc and when i got up in the morning i had my pretend cig by the bed and i had a few puffs before getting up. Then i went to work with not money and no cards so i could not be tempted to buy any when i was there. Everytime the girls went for a cig i would go out with them with my plastic cig and stand with them. The hardest part for me is breaking the habbit. Going ok so far.

Good luck. It is not easy

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zyban, works well, reduces the desire to smoke. Apparently its an anti depressant which was used in USA and they discovered that many using it had stopped smoking too. In UK they give it on the stop smoking programs. You take it for approx 11 days before you set a date to stop, when you stop you continue taking it for up to 6 weeks..........I think thats how it was.

I used it in 2004 and got down to 1 a day which was more defiance than need [Big Grin] then I came here for 2 weeks on hols and forgot the bring them with me [Frown]

I still smoke and I know I can buy it here, maybe I will stop one day inshaAllah [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend died age 38 with 2 teenage kids 10 months after being diagnosed.

She went through the hell of chemotherapy, then radiotherapy but it grew too fast and was inoperable in the end.
She weighted about 5 stones and was in constant pain for about 7 of the 10 months and on morphine.

Sometimes a sharp shock works.

Cadaver showing 3 tumours

http://www.upstate.edu/cdb/grossanat/imgs/ThLungCancer-Table21.jpg

Lung of a smoker ( probably like my friends )
http://www.faqs.org/health/images/uchr_02_img0171.jpg

If you are lucky all you will have is this if they manage to remove it and cure you.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/KimScar.JPG

If these dont do it for you might like to read Deborahs story folks.

http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Deborah.html

[Frown]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW TO QUIT SMOKING

I quit several years ago (thank God) and I did it cold turkey.

This is what I did:

Made the decision to quit. Give yourself a quit date, get rid of all cigarettes, lighters, etc. Anything to do with cigarettes you need to completely remove from yourself.

Do not go to the convenience stores you used to buy your cigararettes from, change your routine.

Start to exercise...drink more water and buy TONS of fruits and keep them handy. I kept celery and carrot sticks with me most of the time.

In the evenings after dinner when I wanted a cigarette, I went for a walk and had a smoothie. Do anything to take your mind off of it. You will find if you can fight the urge for at least 15 minutes you can usually get past it.

Don't go places where everyone is smoking and ask your friends not to smoke around you for the time being. If you do this for a month, you will see and feel a DRAMATIC difference in how you feel. After 3 months even more, after a year you will already begin to reverse the damage you've already done to your body.

One year after quitting, the risk of dying from heart disease is reduced by about one-half and continues to decline with time.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that's horrible to hear, dying at 38 because of lung cancer? [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davieschristopher
Member # 15225

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for davieschristopher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my mother is trying to quit smoking. She is using those Nicoderm CQ patches. She told me that the cigs. taste like garbage. I haven't picked that up, but I have chewed for a year tho. and than saw my friend go to the doctor and he already has cancer from it...HAD to stop! So I did...gum is ALWAYS a great solution!

--------------------
Peace Out Girl Scout

Posts: 409 | From: Iowa, United States | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
ya im on my last pack of cowboy killaz right now. its gonna be my last also.
i noticed a few tiny little wrinkles popped up under my left eye recently...the side the smoke likes to fly up on.
ya, that did it for me.

death dont scare me as bad as lookin old does.

janie
Member # 11150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for janie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to quit recently using Champix but the side effects aren't good - nausea, headaches and I ended up feeling really depressed without knowing why. Checked it out on the net and found a warning about the possibility of depression and increased risk of suicide!!

Still off them four months later, although I have to say not a day goes past without feeling like I could have one.

Posts: 42 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com