EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Abused women on E.S

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abused women on E.S
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe other people have noticed, but it seems that there are ALOT of women on E.S that have been in, or are still in abusive relationships.

This may seem platinudinal to some, but it never really occurred to me until I started reading the "Well here I go" thread.

And I'm not just talking the usual suspects like M.H either.

Some very established board members have mentioned former marriages or relationships wherein they were abused, verbally and emotionally for the most part.

I might catch some flak for this, but I wonder if this "phenomena" has alot to do with why many of these Western women are willing to move Heaven and Earth to be in a relationship with Egyptian men from a completely different culture, that are well known for having soothing tongues.....atleast in the courtship phase [Big Grin]

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmmm...the only abusive relationships i have been in (one physical and one emotional) were both with american men...and i moved heaven and earth to be with them...

i'm not so sure it has to do with a different nationality as much as it has to do with the individual...

i think it's fairly common knowledge that most woman who stay in an abusive relationship have low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness and co-dependency issues...

these things aren't easy to work through, especially with the media throwing half-naked beautiful woman in our faces...sex seems to sell everything and if a woman doesn't feel sexy, she can feel obsolete...i mean a size 10 is considered fat here! that's just ridiculous!

it took me about 3 years to work through my crap and get to a place where i love myself and stop letting people treat me like a doormat...

i think when people can be happy with who they are and with where they are in life, then they don't need someone else to do it.

all this being said, when i arrived in egypt, all eyes were on me...i had SO MANY MEN hitting on me, talking to me, looking at me, etc... at first, it was kind of nice...all that attention, thinking that everyone thought i was beautiful...but it soon wore off and i remembered that it didn't matter what anyone else thought, only me and God (and he doesn't care what i look like!) so, i think that when some women aren't feeling good about themselves, and they come to a place like egypt and get all this attention, it can cloud their minds and judgment. of course, all this is my most humble opinion [Wink]

OM

--------------------
"It's very important to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel." ~Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samegy
Member # 15090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samegy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by walkingathinline:
hmmmmm...the only abusive relationships i have been in (one physical and one emotional) were both with american men...and i moved heaven and earth to be with them...

i'm not so sure it has to do with a different nationality as much as it has to do with the individual...

i think it's fairly common knowledge that most woman who stay in an abusive relationship have low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness and co-dependency issues...

these things aren't easy to work through, especially with the media throwing half-naked beautiful woman in our faces...sex seems to sell everything and if a woman doesn't feel sexy, she can feel obsolete...i mean a size 10 is considered fat here! that's just ridiculous!

it took me about 3 years to work through my crap and get to a place where i love myself and stop letting people treat me like a doormat...

i think when people can be happy with who they are and with where they are in life, then they don't need someone else to do it.

all this being said, when i arrived in egypt, all eyes were on me...i had SO MANY MEN hitting on me, talking to me, looking at me, etc... at first, it was kind of nice...all that attention, thinking that everyone thought i was beautiful...but it soon wore off and i remembered that it didn't matter what anyone else thought, only me and God (and he doesn't care what i look like!) so, i think that when some women aren't feeling good about themselves, and they come to a place like egypt and get all this attention, it can cloud their minds and judgment. of course, all this is my most humble opinion [Wink]

OM

AMEEN.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no abusive husband here [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are you doing online Micky??? don't you have a party to prepare for!?!?!?!? we're leaving in about 20 minutes! see you soon!

--------------------
"It's very important to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel." ~Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sic Luceat Lux:
Maybe other people have noticed, but it seems that there are ALOT of women on E.S that have been in, or are still in abusive relationships.

This may seem platinudinal to some, but it never really occurred to me until I started reading the "Well here I go" thread.

And I'm not just talking the usual suspects like M.H either.

Some very established board members have mentioned former marriages or relationships wherein they were abused, verbally and emotionally for the most part.

I might catch some flak for this, but I wonder if this "phenomena" has alot to do with why many of these Western women are willing to move Heaven and Earth to be in a relationship with Egyptian men from a completely different culture, that are well known for having soothing tongues.....atleast in the courtship phase [Big Grin]

~Alistair

I think it probably has to do with the women, especially if they have been in more than one abusive relationship, not what nationality of man they marry.
Many of the women you will find here (who claim abuse) have also had abusive relationships with men from their countries of origin. My mother used to say damaged goods attracts damaged goods. Not to say a woman who is abused deserves it, not at all...but if you constantly are attracting losers, cheats and abusers, you have to ask yourself what the common denominator is. More times than not you will find it is you.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

OM

Thats a very good post [Wink]

I guess the point I was trying to make was whether women that had suffered past abuse in relationships were more susceptible to the charms of Egyptian men, compared to women that had no prior abuse?

And by charms, I mean the stereotypical Egyptian male flattery that you hear about so much on these forums...

The desperate sort of flattery that no woman in her right mind would listen to in her own country.

It would seem that after months or years of being in a relationship with an abusive husband/boyfriend that offered nothing but scathing criticism and obscenities, a few overthetop compliments uttered by an Egyptian man might seem like a much needed Monsoon after a drought.

Or if you want to make things even more controversial, you could ask whether the women that consistently go to Egypt to be in relationships with Egyptian men (whether short term or long term) have experienced a MUCH HIGHER RATE OF RELATIONAL ABUSE in their past compared to the general population?

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

i'll think about that and post later (not that you are eagerly awaiting my response or anything [Wink] )...off to Micky's for her party today! cheers!

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
when i arrived in egypt, all eyes were on me...i had SO MANY MEN hitting on me, talking to me, looking at me, etc... at first, it was kind of nice...all that attention, thinking that everyone thought i was beautiful...but it soon wore off and i remembered that it didn't matter what anyone else thought, only me and God

It took me a while of living here to figure out that most likely it isn't necessarily that they think you are BEAUTIFUL but that they think you are EASY because you're a foreigner.
There are drop dead beautiful Egyptian women in Egypt much more attractive (IMO) than the majority of Western women. Your looks had very little to do with the attention you received. It was probably because:
a. you're a woman and had female parts
and most likely because:
b. you were obviously foreign and they knew they had more of a chance with you because in their minds you give it up easily

but as you said not that it matters, just putting it in perspective. [Wink] When I first arrived I thought the same as you, 'wow I must really be hot!'. LOL [Big Grin] Nope, they just assumed I was really slutty. [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I think it probably has to do with the women, especially if they have been in more than one abusive relationship, not what nationality of man they marry.
Many of the women you will find here (who claim abuse) have also had abusive relationships with men from their countries of origin. My mother used to say damaged goods attracts damaged goods. Not to say a woman who is abused deserves it, not at all...but if you constantly are attracting losers, cheats and abusers, you have to ask yourself what the common denominator is. More times than not you will find it is you.

You know, I don't think I phrased my first post correctly. The post didn't really adequately explain what I was getting at.

With that said, my second post rectifies that so have a look there [Big Grin]

And the only reason why I even considered posting this was because I just all of a sudden noticed how many women on E.S had openly spoken about, or alluded to abusive ex-boyfriends or ex-husbands in their past.....usually a Western man.

~Alistair

of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is different than yours WTL.

I don't feel my self esteem was low going into the marriage and I never chased him. I also really don't think that I stayed in the marriage because of low self esteem although, I did develop a low self esteem from the abuse. I stayed because I didn't believe in divorce and because I thought that I was doing it for my children. I didn't have to work so I was a stay at home mom. I also believed him when my first born was son was about 1 month old and he told me that if I ever tried to leave him he would take my son. I remember calling attorneys to see if he could.

As for as getting attention from men here. I have always had that, still do. For me, dating isn't that much fun. It seems the men are ready to get serious after the first date, some before, and I want time to get to know someone. There have been some really nice guys who if they would of just backed off and given me a little time maybe feeling would develop.

What meeting someone online does for me is give me that space. It has nothing to do with Egyptian. It has to do with having time to get to know and trust someone.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all woman think they're rather normal, don't have a low self-esteem, don't feel worthless by starting a relationship with a man.

And no man will behave abusive right from the start.

No woman will think that one day he is going to treat her as a doormat, and she is not intended to behave as a doormat.

They just start a relationship, and starting to know each other, and slowly the bad properties are entering the relationship. This goes accompanied by collision because no woman will ignore voluntarily herself in favour of a man, and every time again SHE is the one who is moving her limits, untill to a certain time, it is enough.

I think the mist important is not the fact that the relationship didn't bring what she thought it would be, but the awareness that there are a certain type of men able to make her move her limits every time. That there is a certain type of men on this earth who are dangerous to her!
Because likely she is missing some skills to see behaviour in the right perspective.

I also think nobody knows that from herself, untill it happens! Just then there will be a proof if she recognises that behaviour or not.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
quote:

You know, I don't think I phrased my first post correctly. The post didn't really adequately explain what I was getting at.

With that said, my second post rectifies that so have a look there [Big Grin]

And the only reason why I even considered posting this was because I just all of a sudden noticed how many women on E.S had openly spoken about, or alluded to abusive ex-boyfriends or ex-husbands in their past.....usually a Western man.

~Alistair

Ok I went back and re-read your 2nd post and that's an interesting observation. I think there are many women in this world (not only the West) who have been in abusive relationships. While my point was that finding yourself in an abusive relationship time and time again is probably a personal flaw...your point was more that there could be a susceptibility to find yourself with an abusive man from another country if you had already been abused by someone in your OWN country. Is that right? [Confused]

I know a lot of people don't like Dr. Phil but I happen to like him. One of the things he says is that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. A woman who finds herself in an abusive relationship relationship may have just had bad luck or found a real con artist. HOWEVER, a woman that finds herself constantly in abusive relationships probably doesn't know much different. I think the difference in forming a relationship with a man from another country is that the women fool themselves into believing that 'other men will be different' when what they don't realize is that it isn't THE MEN, it's their judge of characters...it's their magnetic attraction to abusive men.
I don't blame women who have been abused, but I do think they probably need therapy if they keep finding themselves constantly in a state of abuse. You can only continue to blame someone else so long.
But Alistair, your observation is definitely interesting. [Wink]

Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can catagorically state i have never been in an abusive relationship, physical or emotional. [Smile]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I can say I was in a bad relationship with the ex and I'm with an Egyptian now, but I can't say one has caused the other. Who knows who you are going to meet!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.. this "phenomena" has ..

~Alistair

Phenomenon. [Razz]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been in an abusive relationship and I have never believed any of the usual charms of men from foreign lands. You know, the standard chat that they say in every country (bar England and America) "I love you, I need you, I want to marry you" ( to the point that it has become a standard joke between friends) But yet I find myself falling for an Egyptian who when I met him the 1st time could barely speak any English. Still don't know why myself yet. But it's not low self esteem or bad previous relationships because i am happy being a size 14 and i have been the one to end every relationship in the past so i have not even been broken hearted (yet)
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

quote:
It took me a while of living here to figure out that most likely it isn't necessarily that they think you are BEAUTIFUL but that they think you are EASY because you're a foreigner.
There are drop dead beautiful Egyptian women in Egypt much more attractive (IMO) than the majority of Western women. Your looks had very little to do with the attention you received. It was probably because:
and most likely because:
b. you were obviously foreign and they knew they had more of a chance with you because in their minds you give it up easily

but as you said not that it matters, just putting it in perspective. [Wink] When I first arrived I thought the same as you, 'wow I must really be hot!'. LOL [Big Grin] Nope, they just assumed I was really slutty. [Razz]

WTF Smuckers? thinly veiled insult. it doesn't matter what i believed they thought of me...the fact was, it was flattering and felt nice...for about a week and then it got annoying and plainly obvious that most of them were just sex crazed scoundrels... i am fully aware of what most of those men are thinking and don't need you to put anything in perspective for me...it only took me a week to realize what was happening...but nonetheless, it made me feel even more attractive and gave me a huge confidence booster... i felt like a rockstar walking around... regardless of their intentions

MY POINT IS, that if a woman has low self esteem and all of the sudden she gets a bunch of attention, her judgment may be warped and she may accept certain behaviors that she normally wouldn't...thankfully, this didn't happen to me as i had already worked thru my issues before arriving in cairo, and even tho i felt good about myself, the added attention boosted me even higher.

Alistair: as far as your other point:

quote:
I guess the point I was trying to make was whether women that had suffered past abuse in relationships were more susceptible to the charms of Egyptian men, compared to women that had no prior abuse? ...
...It would seem that after months or years of being in a relationship with an abusive husband/boyfriend that offered nothing but scathing criticism and obscenities, a few overthetop compliments uttered by an Egyptian man might seem like a much needed Monsoon after a drought.

that's an intersting point and i'm sure some women fall into this category...but like i said before, i don't think it has to do with nationality but the individual instead...i agree with Smucker's/Dr. Phil's assessment...history does have a way of repeating itself and if a woman is constantly in abusive relationships, she will be in them with anyone from any country... and yes, i think this warped state of mind may cause a woman to fall for that (as you said) "stereotypical Egyptian male flattery that you hear about so much on these forums..."

but this is really for women who have been in abusive relationships for a long time and have really low self esteem...

if you look at of_gold's situation, it is different...it started out good, got bad, ended, but perhaps that situation made her stronger and LESS susceptible to flattery.

i dunno.....takes all kinds, huh?
OM

civil society
Member # 14880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for civil society     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
I think all woman think they're rather normal, don't have a low self-esteem, don't feel worthless by starting a relationship with a man.

No woman will think that one day he is going to treat her as a doormat, and she is not intended to behave as a doormat.

They just start a relationship, and starting to know each other, and slowly the bad properties are entering the relationship. This goes accompanied by collision because no woman will ignore voluntarily herself in favour of a man, and every time again SHE is the one who is moving her limits, untill to a certain time, it is enough.

I think the mist important is not the fact that the relationship didn't bring what she thought it would be, but the awareness that there are a certain type of men able to make her move her limits every time. That there is a certain type of men on this earth who are dangerous to her!
Because likely she is missing some skills to see behaviour in the right perspective.

I also think nobody knows that from herself, untill it happens! Just then there will be a proof if she recognises that behaviour or not.

i have to agree with this. i have been in one abusive relationship, never before and not since. it didn't start off as abusive. it slowly entered and i was more tolerant to the abuse, shrugging it off as 'cultural differences.' now i know that is not at all the case and i have been more aware in subsequent relationships.
Posts: 253 | From: canuk | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
if you look at of_gold's situation, it is different...it started out good, got bad, ended, but perhaps that situation made her stronger and LESS susceptible to flattery.
I don't know about stronger but definatly less susceptible to flattery. I usually think "yea right". In fact the last date I went on a hundred years ago [Roll Eyes] the guy told me that most women would of had him in bed by now. I just looked at him and said "most women are trying to catch a man, Im not". [Big Grin]

I do get lonely but no one is yelling at me and I'm not crying on a regular basis. I just know I do NOT want to be in another bad relationship. Maybe I'm overly cautious though. Well, not maybe, yes, I am overly cautious and I push men away.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

quote:
Originally posted by civil society:
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:

i have to agree with this. i have been in one abusive relationship, never before and not since. it didn't start off as abusive. it slowly entered and i was more tolerant to the abuse, shrugging it off as 'cultural differences.' now i know that is not at all the case and i have been more aware in subsequent relationships.
i do agree that a lot of abusive relationships start out good and then along the lines deteriorate... but not all women can be as strong as you Civil...some can't pick themselves up after being kicked down and many blame themselves for the abuse...they begin to believe the abuser - especially physically abused women...so if they are fortunate to get out of one abusive relationship, they may find themselves in another b/c their self esteem is shot...

i don't think that ALL women think they are normal...there are plenty of women out there who hate themselves and think they don't deserve something good...i used to be one of them. that is why i stayed with an emotionally abusive man for 5 years. will i allow it happen again? i doubt it. but if i ever fell back into the self hatred, it very well may. now, with the physical abuse, i nipped it in the bud...he hit me one day, i gave it a week, listened to his excuses and decided to forgive him (i was a dumb kid); 2 months later he did it again...that was it (i learn fast)... so in that case, i did rebound easily and became aware of certain aggressive behaviors... but not all people do.

walkingathinline
Member # 11504

quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
quote:
I don't know about stronger but definatly less susceptible to flattery. I usually think "yea right". In fact the last date I went on a hundred years ago [Roll Eyes] the guy told me that most women would of had him in bed by now. I just looked at him and said "most women are trying to catch a man, Im not". [Big Grin]

I do get lonely but no one is yelling at me and I'm not crying on a regular basis. I just know I do NOT want to be in another bad relationship. Maybe I'm overly cautious though. Well, not maybe, yes, I am overly cautious and I push men away.

well, IMO (for what it's worth), i think you are stronger just by being more selective and cautious....many women would rather NOT be alone than unhappy - they settle for misery just to have someone by their side...you are strong for not being one of these women! i just hope one day you can open up to a man and find love.

OM

seabreeze
Member # 10289

WTL it wasn't NOT a thinly veiled insult at all, it's really what they think. Not to say you aren't beautiful, I'm sure you are, but to assume THAT is why you received the attention you did is probably incorrect.
IF your self esteem was intact you wouldn't have let my comment about what they were probably thinking be like an insult to you. I even said I felt the same thing when I first arrived but know better now. Jeesh, calm down. [Roll Eyes]

of_gold
Member # 13418

Smuckers, You may not have meant it but it did come off as an insult. At least that is what I felt when I first read it.

Even this last apology post seems belittling, when she is trying to share something hurtful about herself and what she went through you are telling her, "IF your self esteem was intact you wouldn't have let my comment about what they were probably thinking be like an insult to you." What is that about?

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Well, is it wrong? [Confused]

Did anyone else find what I said to be insulting or simply factual? [Confused]

walkingathinline
Member # 11504

thanks of gold, but isn't that the way of ES? you share something hurtful and people want to twist it and try to hurt you more?! [Roll Eyes]

but it doesn't really matter...Smuckers, i feel you have simply missed my point, over and over...that's ok, sometimes it's hard to understand a person over the internet...maybe my tone came off as defensive, but if you read the entire post, you'd see that the point i was trying to make isn't about my self esteem... it's about women in general and how they react to artificial flattery and how they accept lies and tell themselves half truths, when they are feeling down...

and i did use the word "thinking"...not knowing...

quote:
thinking that everyone thought i was beautiful
it doesn't matter what these men are actually thinking, what matters is how women perceive it...especially women with low self esteem... and like i said a few times, it didn't take me long to catch onto the game [Wink]

remember the article that was posted recently in another thread about the "sex tourism?" there was a woman (i think her name was Sarah) who said that she was feeling bad about herself, 50 and divorced, overweight, whatever...and when she received attention from a much younger waiter, she fell for him and gave him a truckload of money, only to find out months later he was using several older women... she allowed herself to be sucked in because she had no confidence...

this is what i'm talking about...

OM

oh, and by the way, here's a pic of me in the desert back in january...i feel pretty good about myself now...5 years ago, forget it

http://i25.tinypic.com/33f870w.jpg

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, is it wrong? [Confused]

Did anyone else find what I said to be insulting or simply factual? [Confused]

I did not find it insulting.I've read your posts for a few years now and find you to be one of the more,if not the most,fair poster here.Intelligent,smart and honest.
[Smile]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

quote:
WTL it wasn't NOT a thinly veiled insult

hehe...it wasn't not

so, it was not not

meaning, it was?

LOL!

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Sorry WTL, I must have posted that when I had not yet had my coffee (need a sleepy avatar here).
IF I offended you I apologize, but I did mean my first interjection as a general type of information about men oogling women in Egypt, and even inserted my OWN feelings as mirroring your own when I first arrived. Please accept my apologies.

On that note, it really has nothing to do with how you look (you didn't need to post your pic). [Wink] Unfortunately we Western women get a bad rap just for being born in (in our case) America and it wouldn't matter if we looked like sleestacks (remember land of the lost?). [Big Grin]

Big hugs to sashy, now send me some pharmaceuticals! [Big Grin]

walkingathinline
Member # 11504

no worries! [Smile]

OM

--------------------

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only skim-read this thread (sorry, too preoccupied with the 'well, here I go-thread' [Wink] )
but I think Smuckers summed it up pretty good when she said; foreign women get attention in Egypt because of a) and b) (see her post)

Certainly as a tourist you are completely 'surprised' by all this attention, even when walking right next to your husband.
My first thought was; Heyyy, those Egyptians are definitely more friendly than the Greec guys. [Big Grin]
It is like Lumos (I think it was her) once wrote; you are so ignorant as a tourist, you hardly realize you are in a country with a total different culture/religion. Everyone should be better informed. (maybe read a few posts on ES first)

Back on topic: Abusive relationships [Frown]
I think women get out of relationships where they get physically abused more quickly than when emotionally abused.
Cause being 'emotionally abused' is less obvious.
It is more hidden and much more difficult to spot.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Phenomenon. [Razz]

I bet that just made your day, didn't it my dear MK? [Razz]

See, I made a rhyme [Big Grin]

You and Dalia are the only women that ever correct my English, so thanks for that [Wink]

~Alistair

Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Your looks had very little to do with the attention you received. It was probably because:
and most likely because:

I never perceived the attention as positive or related to my looks, not for a single day. I always felt it was derogatory and triggered by a particular perception of Western women.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"... I always felt it was derogatory and triggered by a particular perception of Western women."

Absolutely true.

Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alistair

It is a good point that you've made and I do think that your right in part. I think that abusive relationships are actually more common than you think, I can only really speak for the UK but most women I know have been in or are still in an abusive relationship of some kind.
Remember also that what one person calls abuse is not someone elses interpretation of it, it can range from extreme violence to controlling behaviour, jealousy, speaking in a bad way...its so vast and will vary from person to person, relationship to relationship.

It also varies cross culturally, for instance, in Egyptian society a woman might consider it o.k for a man to tell her if its o.k to leave the house, in the U.K this would be seen as controlling behaviour. Hence one of the problems with cross cultural relationships is interpretation.

However the point you made about sweet talkers is undoubtedly true. If a woman is looking to be 'rescued' of course she will fall for that, but there are plenty of players in the UK and the rest of the world, that will play on womens vulnerabilities too.

So in reflection I dont think there are more women that have had experience of 'abusive' relationships on here, I think it is just spoken about more freely on here than in many other places, women can be fairly annonymous here wheras at work or in real life most will not bring these sort of things up. [Smile]

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com