EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Travelling to Egypt. Advice Needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Travelling to Egypt. Advice Needed
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been following this forum for some time now and I would really love to get some advice from you guys.
I am a British girl engaged to an Egyptian man.We have been together for six months now and are planning to get married at the start of next year.
We met in Dubai which is where we both currently live and work.
I am travelling to Egypt on Monday to meet his family. I am really nervous as I have never been to Egypt before. His parents live in Cairo and he went there earlier this week. We couldn't travel together as I wasn't able to get the time off from my job.
Anyway, I do have a few questions. Firstly what I should wear when I'm there. We are both Christian so no issues with covering up with hijab or anything but I know Egypt is a very conservative country and I'm concerned about what I should wear during the day and when out in the evenings. I have lived in the Middle East for a while now, but I realise Dubai isn't comparable to other countries in this part of the world and normally I would wear things like knee length loose fitting dresses with a long sleeved cardigan over the top, during the day for work and stuff. Would this be acceptable in Egypt? I don't want to draw attention to myself, I will stand out a bit anyway as I have pale skin and blonde hair but I want to be able to feel comfortable.

Also when going out on an evening, say to a bar for example. Can I wear dresses with thin straps that would show my shoulders?
I apologise if my questions sound silly but I'm really concerned and am ready to go and buy a new wardrobe tomorrow if needs be! Lol.I just thought this would be a good place to ask as many of the female members live in or have travelled to Egypt so could help me.
I am really nervous about meeting his very large family and I want to make a good impression.
Any help will be really appreciated :-)

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, appropriate dress in Cairo would be dresses or skirts to at least mid calf or longer, sleeveless dresses are not appropriate, sleeves should be at least to the elbow of if shorter useful to have a light weight wrap handy. Jeans /trousers 3/4 length or longer.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because many of my dresses just have strappy sleeves, I found wearing netted ponchos over them were a huge help. Because it is soo hot out there, they were away of me being covered, but still cool, and it also meant I didn't have to spend a fortune on new clothes.

In bars it is more relaxed. Hossam hated me showing my arms in the street, but in discos he was ok with it. It seems I will be meeting his parents when I'm there in sept (or oct) and I'm petrified, so I feel for you lol.
Sadly, you will get stares and shouts no matter how covered, because of your skin and hair colour.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOO WK, I don't get stares and shouts in cairo. I did in Luxor and that is why I could never spend more than 3 days there in one stint! I felt badgered! (great word!)

I wear netted poncho tops too, I always cover myself in cabs at night but as soon as I am in clubs I am like the Egyptian girls and dressed for clubbing, my skirts just happen to be longer!

I only cover my shoulders, I don't go all the way down to my elbow and my friends never care. I live in 3/4 length trousers and these are fine, no wind mishaps either like yesterday here in the storms lol... Oh my I was nearly flashing!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your advice everyone. I'm going shopping right this minute for some ponchos and 3/4 length trousers!!! Thanks again
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dubai girl - i have a quetion for you. Did you move to Dubai on your own to work? how did you find it, as a british girl?

I would like to move to Dubai/Egypt or consider other places, but I am wondering whether this would be difficult as a woman alone with my child. I know Dubai can be an expensive place to live, if you get offered a job with accomodation do you think it would be enough to send your child to a good school?

I know these are questions you probably cant answer, but I would be interested in your opinion [Smile]

Good luck in Egypt, I'm sure you will have fun.

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Hi Miss Caterpillar. Yes I came here on my own as I was offered a job here.
There are so many expats living here which makes it very easy to make friends as practically everyone is in the same situation. I had never lived outside of UK before I came here but now I can't imagine moving back there! I would recommend living here to anyone.
Yes some things are expensive, like rent, but it all depends on where you want to live. Some companies do offer accommodation as part of your package.

As for school costs it all depends on how much salary you make as to whether it's affordable.

You can save money in other areas though, cars (which is the only way to travel in Dubai as public transport is practically non existent) are practically half price to what they are in UK and petrol is so cheap. I spend the equivalent of a fiver a week to fill my tank and I used to spend fifty quid a week back home.
Traffic here is a bit manic, and it took me a while to get used to driving but my fiancee tells me this is NOTHING compared to traffic in Cairo!!!

Anyway good luck with your decision and feel free to ask me any more questions you have on living in Dubai

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the bars you can wear wht you like, i saw egyptian woman there wearing next to nothing and i was being good all covered up. Cairo is different, its more easy than alex, always wear something over as you can take it off in a bar, coffee shops stay more covered.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Traffic here is a bit manic, and it took me a while to get used to driving but my fiancee tells me this is NOTHING compared to traffic in Cairo!!!
quote:

.....you are in for a shock!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You certainly are.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
always wear something over as you can take it off in a bar, coffee shops stay more covered.
Yeah, that's why I found ponchos great, because I can just take them off as soon as I got in. If I was eating in a hotel, I wouldn't cover, but in a cafe I would, etc.
So anything you can throw over your clothes, that is lightweight, and covers chest and shoulders is a good idea. I would have been too hot putting cardigans over my clothes.

quote:
OOO WK, I don't get stares and shouts in cairo. I did in Luxor and that is why I could never spend more than 3 days there in one stint! I felt badgered!
Cheeky, I don't know why, but I always imagined it was worse in Cairo. Probably because when I was there, I didn't see as many tourists as I did when I was in Luxor, so imagined Luxor was more used to it. Can’t really compare though, because I was only in Cairo for two full days, in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, so didn't really explore the streets.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Well I've been to the mall and I managed to find some poncho style tops. Thanks for all the advice ladies. I'm pleased I can wear more or less "normal" clothes when going out. I didn't want to have to spend a fortune on stuff that I would probably never wear again.

One more question for those who have been to Cairo. I am staying in Heliopolis, where are some nice bars/restaurants you would recommend. I am in my late 20s so not to bothered about nightclubs any more. I could ask him, but he hasn't lived in Egypt for over five years so probably loads of new places are there now that weren't there when he lived there.

PS to Yorkshire Rose and Advocate who were saying I am in for a shock traffic wise, we spoke on the phone yesterday when he was outside and it was SO loud I could barely hear him. I asked if a train was going past it was that bad and he just laughed and said he wasn't anywhere near a train! Guess I will see for myself soon.....!

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Hhehehehehe the noise here is unreal. you cant hear nothing for sure.
Go to deals bars, they are great and very westernised.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

ana.fana
Member # 15467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana.fana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a man is bringing you to meet his family, isn't it more realistic to ask him what would be appropiate.

You will find these hipocrites wearing the tightest jeans they can squeeze their fat butts into with that scarf on their heads, as if it somehow makes them saints just covering their hair.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
always wear something over as you can take it off in a bar, coffee shops stay more covered.
Yeah, that's why I found ponchos great, because I can just take them off as soon as I got in. If I was eating in a hotel, I wouldn't cover, but in a cafe I would, etc.
So anything you can throw over your clothes, that is lightweight, and covers chest and shoulders is a good idea. I would have been too hot putting cardigans over my clothes.

quote:
OOO WK, I don't get stares and shouts in cairo. I did in Luxor and that is why I could never spend more than 3 days there in one stint! I felt badgered!
Cheeky, I don't know why, but I always imagined it was worse in Cairo. Probably because when I was there, I didn't see as many tourists as I did when I was in Luxor, so imagined Luxor was more used to it. Can’t really compare though, because I was only in Cairo for two full days, in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, so didn't really explore the streets.

WK... I saw Luxor to be the Egyptian equivalent of Blackpool... the constant hollering was vile. Tourists really give Luxor a bad name!

In Cairo I just blend in and walk down the street and it is like any city in the world for me, no one cares... Luxor was just way too touristy for my liking. And, I saw the Sun newspaper for sale and I felt snobbery rising and I looked around for Burberry hats and Argos earrings [Big Grin] [Smile] [Wink]

Shame really that the locals ruined it for me as Karnak is he most mesmorising place I have ever been to in my life!

I love it is a get away and a little haven but if I w

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com