EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Egyptian social Classes... Help with the Breakdown........ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptian social Classes... Help with the Breakdown........
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY i feel a need to add this Topic [Big Grin]

I hope u guys can break it down here so us Non Egyptians can understand x (as u well know we tend to ignore class and befriend anyone with what seems a heart [Wink]

So please for those that know give us a breakdown on the classes within Egyptian society from top to bottom.

Are there certain giveaways to class in Egypt? (job,living areas etc...)
Again as most of us foreigners will not get the accent bit straight away [Wink]

What is allowed for these classes? (example work wise) etc.........

And anything else which would be good to know, not that some of us will act on these just so we know what to expect from an Egyptian point of view x x

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic,murray-mint!
Although im not Egyptian,by many visits and some Egy friends and locals in the country, ive become acquainted of the class system existing there.It's something we Westerners might have certain difficulty to understand,but all those of us with genuine interest in the local culture and ways must learn to deal with.Whether we agree or not is another thing,but it obviously exists.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh dear..........Do i assume everyone likes to comment on this but no real info is available???

Come on guys and girls.........

If u don't know for certain, how about we start writing here about our experiences re; social class e.g like meeting the family of yr partner... Did anything differ to how your used to things in yr country?? etc.... Lets get the topic off the ground with some real info which could be of use to some [Wink] unlike many troll stories which go on for pages [Frown]

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a too simple example: clothing. My friend always has told me that I could wear whatever I wanted, because for foreigners it is accepted to wear the clothes they normally wear. Later I discovered that there are certain neighbourhoods and people that don't see it this way.

Gold. In my country wearing much gold is a bit low class, specially heavy golden chains, rings, etc. In Egypt it is a sign of being rich, and they want to show that.

Manners. I earlier mentioned the behaviour what is considered as very anti-social in my country: don't clean the toilet when there are marks left because of your last visit. [Razz] The ones who have a house-keeper don't want to leave this dirt to the housekeeper because it would be a sign of no respect to her. In Egypt they leave it this way because it is the job of the housekeeper and it would be a sign of no respect to her 'art of cleaning' to clean it yourself.
Counts for any work what the staff normally is doing.
The so-called social control vs minding another ones business. Egypt, specially in the rural area's, has a high rate of social control. Everybody is keeping an eye on each other, and the subjects are discussed by the whole neighbourhood and their families. So, it's case to behave properly, otherwise you would give the neighbourhood food for thought and stuff to speak. The strange thing is, that when something realy bads happens, suddenly everybody is zipping their mouth and are starting to play see-nothing-hear-nothing-know-nothing.
In European cities there is much lesser control, people are ended to even don't care what somebody else is doing, but if it is really bad, they like to take action. ( Except when it is life risking)

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really try to ignore the class system, I also don't try to make friends with everyone with everyone that comes along. But there are some things that I don't appreciate about this system. For example - bathroom attendents. I know everyone needs a job, but there are some things I just prefer to do for myself. I don't appreciate being followed around in the bathroom and having bits of toilet paper shoved at me. I usually just try to avoid eye contact with them from the time I enter the bathroom. Not because I think I am better than them - but because I am not in the habit of having someone hovering over me when I'm trying to wash my hands.

Another thing is the guys who try to open and close your car door for you every time you get in and out in front of Metro or just randomly on the street. Again, we usually try to stop them before they can do it with a simple no thank you habibi. And the guys who bag your groceries for you and then want to carry it to your car which is only parked about 3 feet away.

When I go to the gas station and want to get a cup of coffee - I just want to make it myself but they have someone stand there and do it for you. Same thing with the drink disepnser at the new Subway in Maadi. There is a coke dispenser in the restaurant accessible to the customers, but they have a guy who stands there and fills your cup for you.

When I was working in a school and I would take the coffee pot to wash it and fill it - one of the nanny/matrons would always grab it out of my hand and go do it for me. I used to try to sneak out of the room with it so they would not see me.

I really hate being treated like this and I always end up feeling as if I am exploiting these people if I allow them to do anything for me.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bumfegypt
Member # 16494

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bumfegypt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
egyptians have no class.
Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opnion on the class system is don't automatically judge a person based on where they come from or where they live. I know people who live in the remotest of areas, run local businesses, make an absolute fortune, but choose to stay where they are because the area is there home and why should they move to some up town place where they won't fit in.And move away from Family and friends.
Then there are people who live in the more upmarket areas who do actually struggle to live and pretend that all is ok. Its all about what I look like and what I have.
Majority of these things don't really matter to a Forigner and I feel that sometimes I get embaressed by the full on in your face impression some people try to make.

As for the MOCS comment above.... yip the Toilet attendant thing does gets on my nerves as well!

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
My opnion on the class system is don't automatically judge a person based on where they come from or where they live. I know people who live in the remotest of areas, run local businesses, make an absolute fortune, but choose to stay where they are because the area is there home and why should they move to some up town place where they won't fit in.And move away from Family and friends.
Then there are people who live in the more upmarket areas who do actually struggle to live and pretend that all is ok. Its all about what I look like and what I have.
Majority of these things don't really matter to a Forigner and I feel that sometimes I get embaressed by the full on in your face impression some people try to make.

As for the MOCS comment above.... yip the Toilet attendant thing does gets on my nerves as well!

The loners inside the family...for example; the whole family always have been working and living in villages, as farmers. Suddenly one of them, who has the guts and the brains, decides to step out, and go to the city, follow education, and raise thier economical and intellectual level.
That familymember still visits the family on family-occasions, but has a significant different life as the rest.
The rest will consider the other one as someone who doesn't fit into the familyprofile anymore. They might think he/she is sitting on a high horse, or he/she doesn't WANT to be part of them anymore. While the one who stepped out even could enjoy going back to visit the ones where he/she came from...
It's a famous example, happens a lot.

But in Egypt? I think it cannot happen in Egypt. The one who left will never be able to raise above his familylevel. He cannot get a job on his educational/intellectual level, because he is from a poor farmers family. Even not to speak about the fact when HE is a SHE. Because for SHE'S there isn't one possibility to leave and live the life she choosed for.

I also know people who made money and choosed for living in the area he came from. Not becuase he is part of that enviroment anymore, but just to SHOW that former eniviroment how much more he has. What might look like a voluntairy choice for staying in his simple enviroment ( in our opinion = positive), in fact is showing wealth and power. ( in our opinion = negative)
The Egyptians don't see it as negative, they honour him als king of the neighbourhood and are trying to please him and come closer, in order to get benefits.

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me laugh how all the working class folk on here mock the working class folk in Egypt...

How many upper class westerners are here?

The women who marry a tourist guy are marrying their own frigging class!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and the women in the loo drives me mad as well... and baggage handlers at the airport!

But, they are just working like the rest of us [Smile]

I am only financially sound here as the cost of living is way cheaper, in the UK I am poor!

It's not where you live it is how you live [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I'm on a right rant roll here:

Women have meerly fallen in love, what of it. If he is low class then she is an idiot and will get conned and if he is high class she is a money grabbing shallow whore who deserves to be his minion!!! Women here cannot win.

MM, there is no giveaway but it makes folk feel superior if they belittle someone in a job they consider to be menial. I have more respect for the grafter than the pen pusher I can tell ya!

I have a fried who chose to be in a lowly job as he has a rich daddy to subsidise his life... judge him as you wish in his work clothes but you would be wrong to do so as he is pretty damn rich [Big Grin]

Ah... I do love snobbery.

I am off to get my low class out of bed and go about my lowly life. [Big Grin]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
Makes me laugh how all the working class folk on here mock the working class folk in Egypt...

Society has more then two levels, LF. What would you define as 'working class'? The collected workers, with a hammer and a chisel, waiting besides the road to become selected for only one day of work or the bankmanager or the minister who also still has to work to make a living on their own personal level? In between these occupations are numbers of level.

TBH, I have no idea about the class from women who are married to tourism guys. I guess old nobily isn't represented, as also old nobility wouldn't marry the labourers in her own society, except Princess Stephanie from Monaco, she seems to be 'different' and she seems to wear them out as much as she changes underwear. The only good change for the Egyptian guy without perspective! [Razz]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mini you're alergic to the same every day nuisance we all feel in this country, although this isn't what this thread calls for, but it points out that "class" of lame egyptian population making a living out of behaving as parasites to those who can spare some money to them.

What I hate is a vendor who'd come up to me with a smile and a 'good morning may I help you?' thing...AARGHHH! I usually smile back and give them the 'no thanks' reply, but they always lurk around with that idiotic grin, so as to say 'you won't find it' till something happens..its either one of us two who gets the satisfaction of 'there we are'.. [Big Grin] I hate them. [Mad]
I also hate the barefoot dirty little kids in a red traffic light that stick their faces onto my car's window with nothing to offer but that gaze of misery. [Frown]
Sorry guys..I'm not in the mood to input anything about Egyptian social class down here and end up roasted.. [Razz]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:

I'm not mocking the working class. But that is exactly my point. They take one look at me and assume because I am a Westerner that I must be "upper class" and I want to be waited on hand and foot. I don't. I know that they are just trying to make a living, and I do give my fair share of "tips" to those who do things for me without me asking for it or even wanting it. Like the guy who carries my groceries 3 feet to my car always gets 3 LE in the end.

But what I'm saying is I am used to being self-sufficient. I carry my own groceries and dry my own hands and wash my own coffee pot. When I allow them to do things for me it makes me feel as if I am exploiting them, whereas an "upper class" Egyptian might feel as if they deserve to have someone carry a bag for them or open their car door for them. My husband hates being called "Pasha".

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Mini you're alergic to the same every day nuisance we all feel in this country, although this isn't what this thread calls for, but it points out that "class" of lame egyptian population making a living out of behaving as parasites to those who can spare some money to them.

What I hate is a vendor who'd come up to me with a smile and a 'good morning may I help you?' thing...AARGHHH! I usually smile back and give them the 'no thanks' reply, but they always lurk around with that idiotic grin, so as to say 'you won't find it' till something happens..its either one of us two who gets the satisfaction of 'there we are'.. [Big Grin] I hate them. [Mad]
I also hate the barefoot dirty little kids in a red traffic light that stick their faces onto my car's window with nothing to offer but that gaze of misery. [Frown]
Sorry guys..I'm not in the mood to input anything about Egyptian social class down here and end up roasted.. [Razz]

The thread originally called for a breakdown of the social classes in Egypt. Since I am not Egyptian, I am hardly qualified to give such an analysis. But then the poster asked us to relate our personal experiences as westerners in dealing with elements of the "social classes". This I can do. So this is what I did.

I must add that I have never had a vendor come up to me and greet me with a smile and say "can I help you?" I am laughing about this though because that was one of the things I hated about living in the States. I hated all the clerks and cashiers who would smile at you and say "Have a nice day!" It used to drive me insane - they don't even know me why would they care if I have a nice day! LOL

Anyway, it was a relief to be away from this when I moved to Egypt. I have found that most clerks and cashiers never smile at me and never ask if they can help me and never tell me to have a nice day. Whenever I go into any shop they usually just ignore me or act as if I'm not there. Or maybe they are just afraid to talk to me.

And now your saying that it does happen to you. Maybe it is just another difference in the way a foreigner and an actual Egyptian are treated.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mini its OK..I was simply giving an example of a person that pisses me off.

[Big Grin]
*Runs away from the bbq* [Razz]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Mini its OK..I was simply giving an example of a person that pisses me off.

[Big Grin]
*Runs away from the bbq* [Razz]

You can run but you can't hide! [Wink] [Smile]
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good so far peeps [Big Grin]
Personally i haven't met any families yet, all bar a friend of mine's inlaws. They actually came from a very good background very similar to UK i felt. So not any difference there in my experience.But i feel some on here have had very different experiences, to mine so far hence the reason i started this topic so i would not be shocked if i see anything im not used to.....
On to my rant for today [Wink]
Well i must admit i do not have the problem with toilet attendents bless em ;)tho i do understand where u girls are coming from with this x
i just say i don't need toilet paper , which they find amusing coming from a westerner [Big Grin] and after, give em 2LE for nothing (ok maybe after they want to give me a bit of tissue to wipe my hands lol) but i feel they are, after all just doing a job to make a living so i try if i can to help them x after all i work in UK and used to have to rely on tips so wats 20pence to me here and there mounts up for them at the end of the week??? If i lived in Egypt maybe it would become another story...

Now here we go onto UK stores.. yesterday i was in a shop looking at shoes with my daughter.... i had in all of 5 mins 4 girls come up to me 'can i help u? what are u looking for...' I started by politely saying no i'm looking (and all sizes are there anyway)and will ask for help if needed.....(didn't the others see me dismiss no1???) oh no they all tried it, Fukkers [Wink] these girls are on decent money here not like most in Egypt so i really can't tolerate that!! Hence the reason im not too bothered by those in Egypt trying to get a few of my pennies [Wink] cos i feel i may be in a better position to help them with wat little i can give x it may seem like i belittle them in this but im only doing what i think is expected of me??? am i right?? my heart says yes so i don't care, tho i have a sneaky suspicion my BF will want to change this lol

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Dubai Girls Husband.

As an Egyptian, the first thing we will do to judge anyone is see how they look (don't get fascinated by the skin colour and the hair as we all look like that)

Number one is to look at how he is dressed:

What is he wearing? Does it look decent or not?

Number two is look at his job:

Typical Beeaa (comes from a low environment)
will be working in non permanent jobs such as a waiter, delivery boy etc

Number three is look at his Education:

Level of Education is an indicator, ususally people coming from Cairo or Alexandria tend to be educated to university level so if the person is not that educated then no doubt he is low class because it is common in Egypt now that the percentage of University Graduates is very high.
Education before university is rubbish in Egypt unless you have attended a private school.

Number four is how well he speaks English:

How well the Egyptian speaks English can be, although it is not necessarily an indicator of class. For example the tour guides who work around the Pyramids, many of them speak perfect English and other languages although they cannot read or write in Arabic so in these cases you go by the judgement that I mentioned they will be identified as being low class from number one or number two, and if you skip these numbers and go to number three, and the person fails on that one as well then they are most certainly low class

Another example is men working in shops (such as Khan El Khaleely and other tourist areas)The shop owners will hire good looking and charismatic people to attract customers so they will choose carefully as selling jewellry is a delicate business and involves lots of money so it needs someone who is honest and faithful.

They will pass in number in number one and number two and number four but they will fail in number three which is level of Education.

Let's say you meet a handsome man, very well dressed and good looking and he tells you that he is working in sales. You will ask him about his level of Education and he tells you that he is a graduate in either commerce, law or arts.
Those three faculties represent two thirds of university graduates in Egypt. Don't be fooled into thinking this is the same as being a law graduate in UK or USA. So this man has passed the first three indicators, look at the fourth how he speaks English.

Pronounciation of words can be another indicator.
Inability to pronounce the "th" sound. Thanks will sound like Sanks. Words starting with P will become B. The I is pronounced as E. The F is V, such as FIFA becomes VIVA and so on.

The following jobs tend to be respecatable jobs in Egypt:

Pharmacist, Engineer, Doctor, Banker, Teacher in private school, HR consultants, Sales Manager. (dependant on where he is working)

So as a rule of thumb to indicate a persons class in Egypt use the examples I mentioned above. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule but in 90% of cases this is an effective way of identifying their class.

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Thanks DUBAI GIRL'S HUSBAND. My husband just seconded everything you said!
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Yes snap to that [Big Grin] its a gr8 response thx MR DG [Big Grin]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
DUBAI GIRL'S HUSBAND..you've hit the nail on its head, buddy [Wink]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
It is a great answer...and I think I misunderstood what you wanted to know [Razz]
Also I'm afraid majority of the boyfriends is not going to pass all the levels... [Wink]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
I'm afraid majority of the boyfriends is not going to pass all the levels... [Wink]

Duh?? I don't understand ? do you mean 'hubbies' as well?? [Confused]
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by murray-mint77:
my heart says yes so i don't care, tho i have a sneaky suspicion my BF will want to change this lol

My husband encourages tipping since most of these people are living on tips. He makes it a point not to give money to those just asking for it - like the kids Dzosser were saying - just stick their faces into your car with nothing to offer but a sad look. Many of these kids are part of a network that are put up to begging on the street by adults who end up taking all the money they earn.

But we always tip those in service related jobs and sometimes the street sweepers who sit out in the hot sun all day after cleaning up trash on the streets.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
I'm afraid majority of the boyfriends is not going to pass all the levels... [Wink]

Duh?? I don't understand ? do you mean 'hubbies' as well?? [Confused]
My husband passed with flying colors. [Big Grin]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
My husband passed with flying colors. [Big Grin]

Good..now sit back and wait for the rest of the folks to come in with their scores. [Wink]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Their 'score' is the indication of the social class he represents, nothing more, nothing less.
We can make such a describtion of ourselves, and thén decide how 'high class' WE are!

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think that would be the same figure as how many people THINK they are upper class here [Smile]

quote:
Good point! Yes, Sam worked in tourism, and it seems that isn't "considered" a great class. However, I work part time in a bloody cinema! If Sam was low class, then I'm bottom of the barrel lol. Oh well, Sam wore a suit for work, and looked very nice in it, and had a very handy airport pass- his class suited me just fine, lol.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working class, as I work for a living, live in a terraced house and come from a family coal miners, however I have 2 degrees (BA and MSc), own my own house and can afford (just! maybe ! hoping!) to retire to Egypt and could pay for a cleaner (if I wanted to to) - no idea what class that makes me - and PS - Ive no interest in any egyptian man, whatever he's wearing, whatever class, whatever education, just not interested in a man thank you!!

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In England, I think class goes only on occupation (see, much simpler here). I remember many moons ago when I studied sociology, we had a huge book that had pretty much every single job, and what class category it falls under. My dad earns more than my mum, but he considered working class, and she's middle class, madness!

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
OK..for all the folks with Egyptian partners, I guess you all should be socially safe since there's no real aristocracy in Egypt, like an actual 'NOBLESSE' if you like.

Anything rolling in money in this country is looked upon as 'High Society', that's a major mistake, exactly like anything with limited luck in life is considered 'Unqualified Junk'.

*Looks at the bbq to find it burning, and runs.*

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
I don't think that would be the same figure as how many people THINK they are upper class here [Smile]

quote:
Good point! Yes, Sam worked in tourism, and it seems that isn't "considered" a great class. However, I work part time in a bloody cinema! If Sam was low class, then I'm bottom of the barrel lol. Oh well, Sam wore a suit for work, and looked very nice in it, and had a very handy airport pass- his class suited me just fine, lol.

I'm not upper class either. In my case it was the other way around - my husband married out of his class. My husband has an Engineering degree and works as an International Sales Manager. He speaks perfect English (never confusing a "P" for a "B") and dresses in clothes purchased in the USA, Libya, and Italy. According to DG's husband he qualifies as respected class.

I on the other hand, worked as a waitress in the States - which according to the assessment puts me at the lowest of the low according to Egyptian standards. I also worked in a factory and drove a fork truck which makes it even worse in the eyes of those who feel this is a man's job.

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]Good point! Yes, Sam worked in tourism, and it seems that isn't "considered" a great class. However, I work part time in a bloody cinema! If Sam was low class, then I'm bottom of the barrel lol. Oh well, Sam wore a suit for work, and looked very nice in it, and had a very handy airport pass- his class suited me just fine, lol. [/QB][/QUOTE]

By "tour guides" he meant the random ones selling plastic sphinxs around the pyramids not people who have permanent jobs working for companies.

To be honest I find the whole class system hard to get my head round.

Dawn Bev I come from the same background as you, ie mining village etc, but i looked into this recently and if you are educated or own your own home or have a professional job then that makes you lower middle class apparently [Smile]

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Egys wont dare to write on a public board the way they classify their own co-nationals in relationship to classes.

Disclaimer:is not that i agree,but it's the opinion that ive gathered from the Egyptians ive personally spoken to.

They mostly classify "low class" if an Egyptian:
Doesnt have higher education/university degree.
Works in tourism,any branch of,unless you are the hotel owner.Works in entertainment:dancer,singer,musician,actor...
Are a shop/bazaar boy,waiter.

They also tend to consider "low class" an Egy living in villages,other than the main cities of Cairo and Alexandria.And to close the circle of "lowclassness" even more,some neighborhoods are considered very low,like Shobra.
Also found that many consider their family roots to influence if they are of good or low class.

Some have even told me that they can tell if an Egyptian guy/girl is "low class" just by the way they look.And this doesnt have anything to do with attractiveness.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
I on the other hand, worked as a waitress in the States - which according to the assessment puts me at the lowest of the low according to Egyptian standards. I also worked in a factory and drove a fork truck which makes it even worse in the eyes of those who feel this is a man's job.

Nothing wrong with all that ??? [Confused] the least [Cool]
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Well according to my husband Shubra is not low class. He says you can't generalise like that as some places overlooking the nile are very nice. Agha Khan, this is a very nice neighbourhood with very high class educated people living there.

Also Shobra was the first planned suburb in Egypt built between 1860 and 1870.

Afterwards some china towns grew over this place, these were built by the people who were working in jobs to serve those high class people, so this is where the low class comes from in those parts of shobra.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
DG..in Egypt 'China towns' = Slums, we don't wanna give a wrong impression to the public. [Roll Eyes]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
By "tour guides" he meant the random ones selling plastic sphinxs around the pyramids not people who have permanent jobs working for companies.
I wasn't aiming it at that, just that many on ES consider working in tourism rather "low", and their opinions are probably justified with the egy mentality. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the western woman they are with are above their class.
I work part time in a Cinema where if I'm not serving the popcorn, I'm sweeping it off the floor. I'm not exactly having tea with the queen lol.

--------------------
Another one....

DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but I'm quite to stay working class, I'm proud of my ancestors

My gt-gt grandfather Henry worked as a coal miner at the age of 10 on the 1851 census [Frown]

we even had a tin bath in front of the fire!

http://i44.tinypic.com/10mo0ut.jpg

A few years later we even had a day trip to the seaside!

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zq7clv.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/16862x3.jpg

[Smile]

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Is it an odeon cinema? By extensive research i have found that odeon cinemas do the best cheese and nachos out of all the cinema companies :-)
I would go to my local odeon which was in the metrocentre and about 40 miles from home purely for the cheese and nachos!

I tested all the cheese and nachos in the cinemas here in Dubai and the quality is just not the same :-(

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Dubai Girls' better half!
I always cringe at scrutinizing Egyptians' English skills because I'm awed at how fluent the common population is to begin with. That said, I have noticed that other Egyptian mock the P/B pronunciation (which I always found a bit rude until they explained they're judging where the person learned his english, ie class status indicator).

One other tell-tale sign for me is that most people who are fluent in English verbally cannot spell/write in English at all. I've been told this is a major clue as well - if you speak English at one level and write English at lower level.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Nah, it's a Cineworld, and our nachos a vile! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another one....

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Nice pics Dawn Bev. Are you from Yorkshire?
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "very good neighborhood" point is interesting. The truly expensive neighborhoods are those loaded with villas, not with mile high, sky scraping apartments. What's to say the entire farming family didn't throw in some floos to help buy junior that apartment so he could, at age 50, finally get married? It doesn't mean junior comes from money, or even that he has any, only that he has an apartment. Also, it's not unusual for the summer tourists to let poor families live in their flats so they'll keep an eye on them for nine months. Many children hang onto flats after their parents pass away and rent them out for the summer as well. Or, if they've left the country, that's where they stay when they return. Don't forget the "old rent," often less than 5 LE a month, that families live in and keep a lawyer on hand to drag eviction porceedings out to keep from being put out. No, the location within the urban area that someone lives does not speak to their class at all.

It's how they present themselves, their education, their career, and their social manners.

The only way to truly understand it is to watch the locals and who how they treat those that are below them in social class.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
I personally think that Egyptians, and Arabic people in general are extremely skilled at learning foreign languages. [Smile]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
One other tell-tale sign for me is that most people who are fluent in English verbally cannot spell/write in English at all. I've been told this is a major clue as well - if you speak English at one level and write English at lower level.

Who's told you that ?? It isn't fluency in English that puts any Egyptian on a social ladder, since some have learnt English as a third language to French or even German, those are the ones you should meet. [Wink]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

ahh but you can say the same for many Americans and Brits [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
In America,as opposed to Europe,we dont have royals,or monarchy.So is very common to mingle around with soo called lower classes or even marry "lower".But God forbid a "higher" class Egyptian marry "lower". [Eek!]
Most simply shun at the idea,mostly for their families.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Quote: The only way to truly understand it is to watch the locals and who how they treat those that are below them in social class.

I think this is an universal law. You know how people are, if you know how they treat those who are below them. The problem is how to know...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com