EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What's the protocol??? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
biker babe
Member # 11108
 - posted
Hi all, I'm sorry if I'm covering old ground here, but a little advice would be appreciated.

Next week, I fly out to Luxor to spend time with the BF and to get to know his family. I have never met them before, and I am wondering how you actually greet them for the first time? I am fully aware of the no physical contact with the son in front of the family, but when it comes to the mother and father do you shake hands or what? Do you wait for them to offer their hand before you offer yours? What about the cheek kissing thing? Are there any do's and don'ts to be aware of?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!

ihthus
Member # 8318
 - posted
The first time I met family of my bf I was shaking hands and defenetly kissing cheecks. But I really don't know if there is any do's and don'ts. I was acting the same way as with other egyptian friends he has. I think it depends on his family. For an example he calls his mom with "khadretek" so i talk to her the same way

mike rozier
Member # 10852
 - posted
take off your shoe and hit each family member upside the head with your shoe...

this way they understand your not playing...then start laying the ground rules right off the bat...

if you let them start makeing the rules you can kiss your liberty goodbye..

oldbag
Member # 9889
 - posted
My visit to my BFs parents was very informal, but we hadn't been 'seeing' each other for long, and he'd only told them he was bringing me for a visit the day before. (We were in Luxor, they are in Qena).
When I arrived, mother and I exchanged 'salam a laikums' but didn't touch in any way. (She only comes up to my shoulder so don't know if size had anything to do with that actually - me being 'man sized'!). Father was sleeping as he had just returned from working in Saudi. After chai etc, H & I were left alone in the front room. After a while, H was snoozing so I went to the upstairs flat with H's brother and wife. Brother asked me outright if I loved H - I said it was 'too soon'.
When we left, mother and father came and stood in the doorway to wave us off, again no touching.
I definately have the impression that they are a very sweet, close and informal family and its apparent H loves them very much.

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
Do not touch any men. Respond to the women as they offer, if they kiss then kiss if they shake hands then shake hands. Take a gift, Twinkies pastries are suitable. Ask you fellas advice about how you should behave, afterall it is his family

ihthus
Member # 8318
 - posted
About not touching any men it depends on family [Smile] It's not only that i shake hands with friends, brothers of my bf but also giving them a hug and kiss when we meet. Sometimes my bf is whispering me "give him a kiss". But surely it doesn't apply to all his friends only to close ones.

margarita
Member # 9940
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by mike rozier:
take off your shoe and hit each family member upside the head with your shoe...

this way they understand your not playing...then start laying the ground rules right off the bat...

if you let them start makeing the rules you can kiss your liberty goodbye..

[Big Grin]

biker babe
Member # 11108
 - posted
Thanks all, you've put my mind at ease!!!!! [Cool]

And Mike, you were as helpful as to be expected!! [Eek!]

AshkiA
Member # 10944
 - posted
I personally was greeted with kisses and hugs [Smile] They had been expecting me for months and knew that we were in love.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com