This is topic Social Security for Immigrants is this Fair? in forum Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003725

Posted by bettyN (Member # 14096) on :

If the immigrant is over 65 they can apply for SSI and Medicaid and get more than my mom gets for Social Security, and she worked from 1944 till 2004, only getting $791 per month because she was born in 1924 and there is a "catch 22".

It is interesting that the federal government provides a single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00 and each can also obtain an additional $580.00 in social assistance for a total of $2,470.00/month.

This compares very well to a single pensioner who after contributing to the growth and development of America for 40 to 50 years can only receive a monthly maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement.

Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!

Consider sending this to all your American friends, so we can all be ticked off and maybe get the refugees cut back to $1, 012.00 and the pensioners up to $2,470.00 and enjoy some of the money we were forced to submit to the government over the last 40 or 50 or 60 years.

Please forward to every American to expose what our elected politicians have been doing over the past 11 years - to the over-taxed American.

Posted by Om Bubblemouth (Member # 6244) on :

Do you have a link to these figures? It's my understanding that SSI is about $620 for one person per month. Some states supplement it, but by over $1,000? Interesting.

But generally I don't see a problem with it. SSI is based on age and disability, not how long you've worked. If your mother were poor, she'd probably qualify for it, too.

Posted by ????? (Member # 12336) on :

Social security. What is reasonable, and whats not. Fact is that these allowances are there because there was a need for, and fact is that the number of social allowances only has been raising, for numbers of reasons. Change of peoples mentality (they dont feel ashamed to recieve a social allowance anymore), one parent householdings, sicknesses that nowadays are reasons to not work anymore, and not enough instreaming youngsters, and ....abusement.
Simply said there ae not enough people who are paying to keep this on the same level.
And when this point has been reached, its needed to take a look at the institution as it is; what is fair and what isnt?
To me it should look more fair when the ones who have paid for this also are able to get it... like any other insurance...

Posted by Tigerlily (Member # 3567) on :

My husband told me a while ago that there are plans out to privatize social security.

Posted by With a name like Smuckers (Member # 10289) on :

Doesn't matter, SS is running out and will be a distant memory by the time most of us are old enough to get it. [Roll Eyes] Tell your mom and the immigrants to suck it up while it lasts. [Razz]

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com