EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Sobekneferu of the 12th dynasty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sobekneferu of the 12th dynasty
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Twas just re-thinking that ancient Egypt novel I've long wanted to write. Originally I was going to make it fantastical, with completely fictional characters and a completely made-up plot, but now I feel it would be better if I based it more on real Egyptian history. For my subject I have chosen the little-known 12th dynasty Pharaoh Sobekneferu, who was a female ruler like Hatshepsut but didn't enjoy as much success as a ruler. And I want to explore exactly what gave her trouble...

-
Sobekneferu of the 12th Dynasty
My depiction of Pharaoh Sobekneferu (1806-1802 BC), the last ruler of the Egyptian 12th Dynasty. She interests me not only because she was a female Pharaoh who predated the more famous Hatshepsut, but because she had such a short reign and presided over the end of Egypt's "golden age" during the Middle Kingdom. One has to wonder why...

In case you're curious about the dress's color scheme, it has a crocodilian inspiration since she was named after the crocodile god Sobek.

-
Sobekneferu's Nile Valley
A map of the Nile Valley as it may have looked in the reign of Pharaoh Sobekneferu (1806-1802), the last of Egypt’s great Middle Kingdom Pharaohs. At this time the northerly Nile Delta (also known as Ta Mehu or Lower Egypt) lies under the control of a non-Egyptian known as Nehesi, who rules from the city of Hawara (or Avaris). Sobekneferu’s domain, called Kemet, covers Upper Egypt at this point, though she also has frontier outposts in Wawat (Lower Nubia). In the far south there is the kingdom of Kush, which currently has its capital at Kerma. As far as I know, the king of Kush’s name at this time remains lost to time’s ravages, but for my purposes I shall call him Menkhaf.

None of these three powers gets along with the rest all that well. If Sobekneferu had her way, Nehesi and his foreign goons would leave the Delta back to her control, and her dynasty has a long history of rivalry with Kush too. However, if she were to make a move against any one of her enemies, she might need to ask the other enemy for help…

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right, I've put together a cast of characters for my Sobekneferu story:

Sobekneferu: She is Pharaoh of Kemet (Egypt) and the story’s protagonist. After her incompetent uncle and predecessor Amunmose misruled their kingdom for ten years, Sobekneferu wants more than anything to bring it back to its former glory. She also wants to reclaim the Nile Delta from the aggressive Hebrew invader Moshe.

Sekhemre: He is Amunmose’s nephew and Sobekneferu’s younger cousin as well as her chief military aide. He resents that Sobekneferu got the throne instead of him and hungers for the opportunity to seize it from her.

Moshe: He is a Hebrew prophet and warlord who has seized control of the Nile Delta. Rendered lame by a battle injury in his youth, Moshe has turned to religion to justify his rule and has come to believe that he has a divinely ordained mission to conquer all Kemet.

Aaron: He is Moshe’s younger brother and champion warrior for the Hebrew occupation forces in the Delta. He doesn’t share Moshe’s zealous convictions, but he does have the hots for the beautiful young Sobekneferu. He would really like to marry her and become her Prince Consort. He will function as a love interest for Sobekneferu.

Menkhaf: He is the Pharaoh of Kush (Nubia) and an old enemy of Sobekneferu’s father Amenemhat. His country has a long history of rivalry with Kemet, yet the desperate Sobekneferu sees in him a potential ally in her struggle against Moshe.

Amunmose (dead): He was Pharaoh of Kemet before Sobekneferu, having inherited the throne from his brother Amenemhat. His incompetent and corrupt misrule left the once proud country crippled and vulnerable to Hebrew invasion. Sobekneferu killed him in self-defense after he tried to force himself onto her.

Amenemhat (dead): He was Sobekneferu’s father and Pharaoh of Kemet before his brother Amunmose. Although he could be cruel to his enemies (especially the Kushites), he was a strong and effective ruler for his own kingdom, so Sobekneferu regards him as her role model as well as a beloved parent.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of Egypt's greatest dynasties, the
12th, originated from dark-skinned
Nubian stock, according to conservative
Egyptologist F. Yurco (1989). The 12th
Dynasty ruled approximately 1000 years
BEFORE the so-called "black" 25th
Dynasty.

Quote 2:

"the XIIth Dynasty (1991-1786 B.C.E.)
originated from the Aswan region.4 As
expected, strong Nubian features and
dark coloring are seen in their sculpture
and relief work. This dynasty ranks as
among the greatest, whose fame far
outlived its actual tenure on the throne.
Especially interesting, it was a member of
this dynasty- that decreed that no Nehsy
(riverine Nubian of the principality of
Kush), except such as came for trade or
diplomatic reasons, should pass by the
Egyptian fortress at the southern end of
the Second Nile Cataract. Why would
this royal family of Nubian ancestry ban
other Nubians from coming into
Egyptian territory? Because the Egyptian
rulers of Nubian ancestry had become
Egyptians culturally; as pharaohs, they
exhibited typical Egyptian attitudes and
adopted typical Egyptian policies."

- (F. J. Yurco, 'Were the ancient
Egyptians black or white?', Biblical
Archaeology Review (Vol 15, no. 5,
1989)

"Among the foreigners, the Nubians were
closest ethnically to the Egyptians. In the
late predynastic period (c. 3700-3150
B.C.E.), the Nubians shared the same
culture as the Egyptians and even
evolved the same pharaonic political
structure."

- (F. J. Yurco, 'Were the ancient
Egyptians black or white?', Biblical
Archaeology Review (Vol 15, no. 5,
1989)

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ Yes, I already know that. You're preaching to the choir with that post.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com