EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Beta Israel DNA Profile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beta Israel DNA Profile
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

While searching for the DNA profile of Ethiopian Jews, the Beta Isreal, I came across a claim mentioning that their most common mtDNA type is only found in Somalia, a study by Watson et al. 1997.

1-Does anybody have the full article or know what haplogroup they are refering to here?.

2-Also I find that their most common yDNA is E3b1a,with the gamma cluster dominant, also delta and 1 case of the berber marker. This is very much consistant with other groups in the region.

For those of you who have seen such similar studies, is this more or less a true picture?

Thanks.

Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. Perhaps Yom or the others here have such a study.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behar gives the E3 quotion of "Jewish" NRY DNA.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

I do, in fact, but it's on a forum that's currently down. I don't feel like looking for all that information again, but off the top of my head, you can look up P. Shen et al. 2004 for mtDNA. Y DNA is in a 2000 or 2002 study, possibly by Underhill, and/or referenced by Semino et al. 2002.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

I do, in fact, but it's on a forum that's currently down. I don't feel like looking for all that information again, but off the top of my head, you can look up P. Shen et al. 2004 for mtDNA. Y DNA is in a 2000 or 2002 study, possibly by Underhill, and/or referenced by Semino et al. 2002.
I have seen the study by Shen. Unfortunately, it did not answer my question.

Thanks anyway.

Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Hello,

Could anybody tell me how I could copy and paste a table or graph from a study on to here, for discusion.

Thanks

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shen 2004 is the only one on their mtDNA. A post of mine from another forum:

quote:
E.g., the Beta Israel, who are basically completely local, are (from Shen et. al 2004, which had a sample size of only 21, however), 8/21 L0-L5 (most ancient), 7/15 M[1] (an East African clade), and 4/21 pre-HV. Aside from that, there was one W individual and 1 U1a, representing admixture, which would be 9.5% maternally. The low sample size of the study means that those two clades may be overrepresented by this study, though.
As for Y DNA:

quote:

"It's also found among Beta Israel at ~40%, comparable to Khoisans. The A found in Amharas and Oromos are of type A3b2* (Semino et al. 2002), while a sample of mixed Ethiopians from Underhill et al. (2000, as reported by Semino 2002) had 5.7% A3b2*, 6.8% A3b2b, and 1.1% A3b*. The same study shows Khoisans with 43.6% A, distributed between A3b1 (28.2%), A2 (12.8%) , and A2a (2.6%).

The Beta Israel are 41.2% A3b2* (Shen et al. 2004). The sample sizes in this study were low, though, with only 18 Beta Israel.

Note that the studies may not have resolved A3b2* and A3b* enough to distinguish subclades; whether they were in fact * or in derived forms was unclear (subclades weren't shown, but this may have been because they weren't found)."

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com