EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Book on Ancient Egyptian Warfare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book on Ancient Egyptian Warfare
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warfare in Ancient Egypt by Bridget McDermott

quote:
In a book that brings new insights into both military history and the history of ancient Egyptian civilisations, Bridget McDermott surveys three thousand years of continuous development of arms and armour, beginning with the early predynastic culture and ending in the totalitarian supremacy of the New Kingdom. She offers a clear account of the origins of Egyptian military structures, their relationship to other ancient and modern African societies and the fascinating divergences between the 'official' images and records of war and the experience of the Egyptian landsoldier. Warfare in Ancient Egypt takes the reader from the manufacture and use of flint hand-axes, wooden staves and stone bludgeons, through the origins of organised fighting groups under the command of a leader, and into the sophisticated and even elegant military culture that saw the composite bow, the khepesh, the sword, the javelin and above all the chariot. This aspect of Egyptian history has been almost entirely overlooked and, in this lavishly illustrated book, Bridget McDermott is able to present a vivid picture of what battle, training and military life was like for the non-elite members of the Egyptian armies.
Anyone want to check it out?
Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I've read it years ago. It's a good book and I recommend it to anyone interested in Egyptian or military history in general. I especially like how she acknowledges Egypt's African identity and makes comparisons to the warfare practices of other African cultures.
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I've read it years ago. It's a good book and I recommend it to anyone interested in Egyptian or military history in general. I especially like how she acknowledges Egypt's African identity and makes comparisons to the warfare practices of other African cultures.

Anything particularly intriguing you want to share with us?
Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Not much really. One thing the book points out is how Egyptians were really no different when it came to weapons and tactics than their African neighbors, but were eventually forced to advance and adapt when confronted with Asian foes weilding more advanced weapon technology. The author also speaks of wartime propaganda being very ritualistic like other African societies in which the enemies were depicted as being trampled and slaughtered no matter what the actual reality of the war was. And I believe she even brought up the fact that Egyptian warriors would take the hands of their foes as trophies which is something that occurs in other African societies even to this day (sadly including innocent civilians).
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

How much do we know of Egyptian battle tactics, and how do they compare with other civilizations?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to research Megiddo. One of the Ramses, I think,
fought there against the Hittites and militarist studies make
a big deal of it with all kinds of charts and whatnot.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com