EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Why the pyramids were built

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why the pyramids were built
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you buy this? http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/pyramidreligion.htm

Here's a sample:

We see Egypt's ancient pyramids as monumental structures that inspire our imagination with awe and wonder. They were monumental tombs for the kings. but why did they Egyptians go to so much trouble, toiling sometimes over many years in order to build them? In fact, while tombs indeed, the great pyramids were also fundamental to their religious beliefs.

A part of ancient Egyptian life was the Nile inundation. As rains fell during the spring in the Ethiopian highlands the level of the Nile River in Egypt rose above its banks, flooding the Nile Valley between June and October. This turned much of the valley into large lakes, but as the waters receded, they left behind fertile silt from which new life would immerge, at first on the highest mounds of earth.

It was almost certainly this annual experience that the Egyptians linked to their concept of creation. One of their earliest creation myths envisioned the first place in the world as a mound of earth emerging from the waters of a universal ocean. Here the first life form was seen as a lily, growing on the peak of the primeval mound. To the Egyptians, the lily was connected with a god named Nefertum, who's name means "perfect and complete". Nefertum was honored as The Ruined pyramid of Snefru standing at Meidum seems to rise above a primeval seaa harbinger of the sun, which rose from the lily's petals to bring life to the newly created world. Even the mound itself was deified as a god named Tatjenen, meaning "the emerging land".

It seems that the earliest temples of Egypt, particularly in the north, sometimes incorporated a mound of earth as a symbol of the original site of all life. The earliest such mounds may have been a small hill of earth or sand, but the icon eventually took the form of a small pyramid carved from a single block of stone, known as a bnbn (benben). This name comes from the root, bn, which means to "sell up" or "swell forth". The benben also, because of the sun's part in creation, came to be an icon of both the primeval mound as well as the sun which rose from it. In fact, the Egyptian word for the rising sun is wbn, which comes from the same root as benben.

Thus, from the outset, the pyramid shape represented the idea of new life, emerging from a mound of earth to be bathed in the light and warmth of the sun. However, to the ancient Egyptians, the benben was more than just an image. Like the primeval mound itself, the Egyptians thought that it somehow incorporated the very power of life itself and even the force that made it possible for new life to emerge after a period of dormancy.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have recent info on the controversy surrounding 'when' some of the great monuments were actually built. Periodically and archeologists will come along and claim that the Great Sphinx for example, dates back to pre-dynastic times, and perhaps was merely 're-modeled' in the 4th dynasty. (?)
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ratamaq
Member # 6583

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratamaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to bump such an old post but this is a topic I am interested in. combing this section of the forum I have found virtually no debate on the chance of the age of the pyramids being older than 4000 years, so I’ll throw in the question of how w/ the logistics of it.

If the information I read is correct than the great pyramid has aprox 2.3 million blocks weighing from 15 tons to 2.5 tons a piece. It is believed that it took 20 years to build by about 100k men. Which works out to roughly 2 blocks per minute being laid continuously.

Is this information correct?

Just as interesting to me though is the valley temple. Also I must ask if the information I read is accurate in stating that the blocks used in this structure weighed as much as 200 tons. There are only a hand full of cranes on the planet today capable of lifting that much.

thx

Posts: 19 | From: us | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ratamaq:
I hate to bump such an old post but this is a topic I am interested in. combing this section of the forum I have found virtually no debate on the chance of the age of the pyramids being older than 4000 years, so I’ll throw in the question of how w/ the logistics of it.

If the information I read is correct than the great pyramid has aprox 2.3 million blocks weighing from 15 tons to 2.5 tons a piece. It is believed that it took 20 years to build by about 100k men. Which works out to roughly 2 blocks per minute being laid continuously.

Is this information correct?

Just as interesting to me though is the valley temple. Also I must ask if the information I read is accurate in stating that the blocks used in this structure weighed as much as 200 tons. There are only a hand full of cranes on the planet today capable of lifting that much.

thx

I haven't heard of any 200 ton blocks. Also, last I heard only 20,000 men were needed to build the pyramids. This info came from a documentary. I believe it was Herotodus that claimed it took 100,000 men.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ratamaq
Member # 6583

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratamaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ancient-mysteries.com/testpart/valleytemp/ValleyTemple/valleytemple.html
http://www.shaav.com/travel/egypt/sphinx.htm

Information from a book I read.

“…18 feet long x 10 feet wide x 10 feet high and some were as large as 30 feet long x 12 feet high x 10 feet high. Routinely exceeding 200 tons in weight,…”

Is the 20k men theory more accepted? That works out to 115 blocks per man, still laying them at 2 blocks per minute for 20 years(at 10 hours per day 7 days per week).

thx

[This message has been edited by ratamaq (edited 11 February 2005).]

Posts: 19 | From: us | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com