EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egypt police bust antiquities traffickers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt police bust antiquities traffickers
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt police bust antiquities traffickers

By AFP
First Published: October 15, 2006

CAIRO: Egyptian police have broken up a trafficking ring that was trying to sell stolen and highly valued ancient busts of pharaohs and mythical figures at an undercut rate of two million dollars, a security source said on Sunday.

The five-person ring included a former employee of the Superior Council for Egyptian Antiquities and acquired the busts, valued at 10 million dollars, through illegal excavations, the source said.

The ring was cracked after a policeman posing as an intermediary for an Arab buyer made contact with its members, who were subsequently arrested in a Cairo suburb.

The busts include the ancient Egyptian pharaoh Ramses II, the falcon-headed god Horus and the goddess Sekhmet, among others.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=3459

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm glad they caught those theives and desecrators!

In a way I do feel sorry for them though. Many of the descendants and heirs of ancient civilizations are now poor people who are desperate to make money for themselves or their families and are even willing to literally sell out their heritage. [Frown]

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I am relieved that these criminals got catched before committing immense harm to Egypt's heritage. And at the same time I wonder how much possibly goes on undetected? I am upset that things like that can happen even these days....
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com