EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » North African ancestry in Dinkas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: North African ancestry in Dinkas?
SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlimJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://imgur.com/a/a1mTwv9
This red component is north African/middle eastern related and peaks in ancient Levantine and Moroccan groups and is also seen in high levels in Cushitic and Ethio-Semitic speakers which makes sense as Cushitic is composed of Dinka related ancestry and north African/middle eastern ancestry, which Is often represented by chalcolithic Israel/Neolithic Levant. Its also found in dinka people indicating they carry north African/middle eastern ancestry,
this north east African DNA is reflected in their haplogroups as Dinka people carry E-m215 and E m78 – Hassan 2008

https://imgur.com/a/jaacBlt
This is also seen in the fact that the red component makes up a lot more of the ancestry in PN individuals than the analysis done by Prendergast et al shows, suggesting that there was north east African DNA hidden in Dinka peoples and that Cushitic ancestry is dominated by chalcolithic Israel/Neolithic Levant related DNA which is reflected in afro Asiatic speaking Horners exhibiting craniofacial patterns most similar to north Africans and middle easterners and haplogroups which show a clear dominance of northeast African lineages…

https://imgur.com/a/EQMSh2u

In this analysis dinka people show “non-African” related ancestry at k=2, but they have been found to have no neanderthal ancestry, indicating that they are in fact fully African
I think this non-African ancestry represents a type of indigenous north east African population represented by the red ancestry that I previously mentioned which peaked in ancient Moroccans and Levantines, this population, genetically, had non-African affinities as seen at k=2 that would have carried E-m215 and E-m78, and may have carried M1a1 as this is carried by some Nilotic populations.
Could this be a good representation of the kind ancestry we expect to see in ancient Egypt/Nubia?
Could this be the common ancestry between, Ancient Egypt/Nubia, prehistoric middle easterners and modern/ancient MENA and the horn?

i could be completely wrong so i am ofc open to criticism

Posts: 161 | From: England | Registered: May 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlimJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
papers i cited
Ancient genomes reveal complex patterns of population movement, interaction, and replacement in sub-Saharan Africa-
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/advances/suppl/2020/06/08/6.24.eaaz0183.DC1/aaz0183_SM.pdf
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/24/eaaz0183/tab-pdf

Y-Chromosome Variation Among Sudanese: Restricted Gene Flow, Concordance With Language, Geography, and History

Ancient DNA reveals a multistep spread of the first herders into sub-Saharan Africa

Posts: 161 | From: England | Registered: May 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're onto something here. It would make sense, given their location, for South Sudanese Nilotes like the Dinka to have been recipients of Northeast African ancestry related to ancient Egypto-Nubian populations. However, while I do recall reading that the Dinka have little to no Neanderthal ancestry like you say, I don't remember where I found that. Do you have a source for that to jog my memory?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
I think you're onto something here. It would make sense, given their location, for South Sudanese Nilotes like the Dinka to have been recipients of Northeast African ancestry related to ancient Egypto-Nubian populations. However, while I do recall reading that the Dinka have little to no Neanderthal ancestry like you say, I don't remember where I found that. Do you have a source for that to jog my memory?

You can use Carina Schlebusch 2019 paper on the Ballito bay sequenced samples. They're the latest to report Neanderthal estimates in African samples.

And yes the Dinka should definitely have "North African" ancestry. It's not non-African, but related to ancestors of Taforalt and early neolithic Moroccans.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Not doubting you or anything but how sure are you that this ancestry is related to ancient Egypto-Nubian populations?
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
quote:

Fu et al. [4] assumed that West and Central Africans (individuals from the Yoruba, Mbuti and Mende populations were grouped together as a single population) are outgroup to the East African Dinka population and present-day non-Africans. Then the Dinka represent a population with no archaic ancestry and Neanderthals and Denisovans ‘Archaic’ represent a population with complete archaic ancestry.
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/pdfExtended/S0960-98221731195-8

SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
quote:

Not doubting you or anything but how sure are you that this ancestry is related to ancient Egypto-Nubian populations?
i know you didnt direct this towards me but my opinion is that
this could represent a population of mainly north east African origin, carriers of e-m215, e-m78, m1a1 and other lineages we expect to find/have found in Egypt and Nubia, such as haplogroup k1(found in abusir, Christian Sudan, Neolithic Syria, late Neolithic Morocco which are all populations we expect to cluster with early upper Egyptians/lower Nubians). This population also has non-African affinities at k=2 which is likely to be the case if Egypt and Nubia were dominated by OOA type ancestry

the fact that PN individuals and Afro Asiatic speaking Horners carried high amounts of this red component means this is possibly what comprised Cushitic ancestry to an extent(Dinka related as well), partly explaining the affinities between Nagadans, Badarians and Kermans with horn of Africans and modern north Africans who would carry this type of ancestry, this seems like the kind of common ancestry we would find in populations that cluster with Egypt/Nubia, groups such as Berbers/north Africans, horn of Africans, prehistoric middle easterners(Natufians, Neolithic levant) etc...

also, haplogroup k1 is found in Neolithic Moroccans, abusir and 18th dynasty Egyptians, Prettejohn Gully, horn of Africans and Berbers, the red component seems like a good fit for the kind of ancestry that all these groups contain and would have passed on this haplogroup, k1 is probably Eurasian in origin but the aforementioned north African DNA in Dinkas likely lacked this, as Dinkas have little to no neanderthal ancestry, so they mixed with this population very early or mixed with a subset which happened to be pure

SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
quote:

You can use Carina Schlebusch 2019 paper on the Ballito bay sequenced samples. They're the latest to report Neanderthal estimates in African samples.

And yes the Dinka should definitely have "North African" ancestry. It's not non-African, but related to ancestors of Taforalt and early neolithic Moroccans.

where do you think the ancestors of taforalt/early moroccans came from? im assuming they were apart of a larger north african population? can you shed any light on this?
thanks

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SlimJim:
quote:
quote:

where do you think the ancestors of taforalt/early moroccans came from? im assuming they were apart of a larger north african population? can you shed any light on this?
thanks

You can skim through this. Though simplified the sources can give you even more insight.
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SlimJim:
quote:
quote:

thanks

You can skim through this. Though simplified the sources can give you even more insight.
aight thanks a lot, i appreciate it a ton

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com