EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » modern Nubians are more mixed than Sa3eadi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: modern Nubians are more mixed than Sa3eadi
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For instance, Mokhtar takes it for granted that his friend Salama cannot be Nubian because of his fair complexion, only to discover that his intellectual friend belongs to a group called the Megraab, the local term for Nubians who are of Hungarian origin (during the Mameluke period many people from Eastern Europe, the Balkans and Cacasus were brought to Egypt, some of whom assimilated with the Egyptian population in the area known as Nubia). As the southern intellectual tells his Cairene friend, the people that are lumped together as Nubians are in fact a mixture of different ethnic groups (African, Arab, Hungarian, and Turkish) united, perhaps, by a common spirit. In this way Mokhtar stops believing in one more stereotype about Nubia - and so do we.

http://metimes.com/cgi-metimes/nph-count.cgi

If you don't believe me then compare these sa3eadi children to Mohammed Mounir,a Nubian singer.

http://www.kirikou.com/egipto/familia/familia.htm

http://www.sis.gov.eg/realpg/html1/monier.htm

_____Mohamed Mounir Notice in contrast to his apperance to Upper Egyptians

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar,
I'm not sure what you are stating.
1) Are you saying some nubians are mixed?
2) All nubians are mixed?

You first and third link doesn't work

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestion is that Nubians are not one homogenous group,and that many are more mixed than Upper Egyptians.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, much work is being done in Nubia and in my view this is where the greatest discoveries will be made. No doubt there is some mixing in Nubia but there is a difference. in Nubia you have some outside mixture into a basically african population. The opposite is true in upper Egypt. Aswan is where African and med cultures came together.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody is mixed in that part of the world. I haven't met many Egyptians who aren't half-this or half-that. How can Egyptians outside the isolated rural areas claim to be pure?
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Horemheb,no Medditerean even existed in pre-dyanstic Upper Egypt. The sa3eadi Upper Egyptians are sometimes darker than Nubians with more African features. Go to Egypt and see for yourself.
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe Mediterranean is the correct term to use when describing North African people. All of the people of North Africa can be tied to the Sahara Desert region. Perhaps Berbers is a good term. There are many different ethnic groups that describe themselves as Berber in North Africa.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been to Egypt five times. Had a Egyptian girl in one of my classes a couple of years ago. She had classic Egyptian looks....you could have dressed her up and put her picture on an AE relief and it would have been a perfect fit. She was not negroid, not even close.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
I am from Egypt,and most of my family is dark brown with kinky hair. Egyptians vary depending which part of Egypt you go to. I am a sa3eadi and most of the sa3eadi are dark brown with various hair textures. Many could be called black. You cannot pick and chose Egyptians here and there to represent the entire population. Not many sa3eadi migrate to America so it is hard to use that as an example. Most tourists to Egypt never go outside Cairo or venture into the rural villages.

Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is difficult for tourists to venture out of the main 'tourist centres' though isn't it? There aren't usually hotels in small rulral villiages.
Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horemheb,

What part of Egypt you visited?...lol
Everyone has posted pictures of black people
in Egypt and you keep denying it..lol
Ausar is actually from Egypt and gave
evidence of blacks there since time immemorial..lol...Do you teach at a high
school or college?...Aren't educators suppose
to be open to facts?

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Hore is known to be not very honest about certain things. [Wink]
Posts: 26261 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com