EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Women in Ancient Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women in Ancient Egypt?
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the role of women in Ancient Egypt? Was it just to be a wife and mother, or were the also allowed to be proffesional people? Were there any women scribes?
Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhi_Sarah,

Woman in AE had considerable rights and freedoms compared to almost all other ancient civilizations. Woman could own property and hold various social positions. I'm not sure if there were woman scribes, however, there were many female priests (priestesses) but there role was generally musical accompaniment of religious rituals. Woman even had equal rights in divorce trials.

Here is a link with more info: http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/shores/7037/woman/woman.htm

------------------
Nesu.t-bi.t neb-taui Neb-Maa't-Re sa-Re Amen-hotep

Posts: 152 | From: Troy,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was aware of the whole freedom and house owning and priestess scene. But if women were this 'free', surly they would be entitled to an equal education as men and therefore have had the opportunity as women, to have been able to become scribes or other jobs of the same caliber?
Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you aware of the female counterpart of Tehuti,Seshat. Seshat was known as the female equivalent of Tethuti which invented the written words.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wasn't aware of that, thanks ausar
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Indeed, Sheshat was known as the wife of Tehuti (Djehuti [Wink] ) and was given credit for inventing hieroglyphics. In this respect she is very similar to the Indian goddess of knowledge Saraswati who is also said to be the inventor of Indian script. Although no relation implied (Clyde).

I must say that I have not read or even heard too much about female scribes, although I do not doubt they exist since we have evidence of female doctors and judges.

Posts: 26260 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com