EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » why are there so few images of khufu?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why are there so few images of khufu?
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just always wondered... There are plenty of images of Menkaura, there's that sculpture of Khafre (plus the sphinx, if that's him), but Khufu only has the little carving below, just a few inches high, to represent him...

Are there other images? (& if not, why not?)

khufu

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunstorm2004:
Just always wondered... There are plenty of images of Menkaura, there's that sculpture of Khafre (plus the sphinx, if that's him), but Khufu only has the little carving below, just a few inches high, to represent him...

Are there other images? (& if not, why not?)

khufu

Good question. In general, earlier sculptures of the earliest pharaohs appear to be rare, presumably because many have been lost over the years. It was certainly traditional for pharaohs to have more than one representation of them via painting and sculptures.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The answer: tomb robbers, and defacement by foriegnors and renegade religious leaders...
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psusennes I
Member # 6053

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Psusennes I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I can help?

The little ivory statue of Khufu (Cheops) that you have linked to is the only figure of the Pharaoh that can be verified by inscription. The Horus name of Khufu can be seen to the left of the Pharaoh.
A whole host of other statues have been found that are also believed to represent the Pharaoh. The following picture is of a red granite statue that has recently been linked to Khufu by a strap of clothing around its neck (linking it the famous heb-sed festival), and of course the white crown.
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/francescoraf/hesyra/huni.jpg

(Copy it into the address bar- it won't work otherwise)

The website says that it might be Huni, but this is now though unlikely. There is another bust of Khufu in the Agyptisches museum in Berlin, but I couldn't find a picture (Item 14396). This next head is in the Louvre and has also been linked to Khufu (sorry about the low-res)

http://www.narmer.pl/dyn/ima/chufu.gif

(Copy it into the address bar- it won't work otherwise)

There are about three more images in a book that I have beside the computer- but I cannot find them on the internet. Inscriptions depicting Khufu on walls and papyri are equally scarce. Remember that this is the fourth dynasty here, lots of objects will have been stolen or destroyed by now.

Psusennes I

[This message has been edited by Psusennes I (edited 09 December 2004).]

Posts: 24 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pics, Psusennes, I'd never seen the second. I've seen the first one as "Huni", as you mentioned.

quote:
Remember that this is the fourth dynasty here, lots of objects will have been stolen or destroyed by now.

The interesting thing is lots of images of menkaura (also 4th dynasty) survive ... however, now that I think about it, I've only seen one image of Khafre: the famous statue with heru at his back...

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psusennes I
Member # 6053

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Psusennes I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just take a look at the sphinx- it was built during Khafre's reign, and is suspected to be in his likeness.

There other images too- like these:
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/new_pyramid/PYRAMIDS/HTML/el_pyramid_khafreh.htm
http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/gmuvava/html/gallery_oldking_11.htm

There are some great big tomes that you can buy with loads of wonderful pictures of rare statues and monuments. That is how I managed to find these images, but there are many more in the books that I have. Perhaps you should invest in one for Christmas?

[This message has been edited by Psusennes I (edited 10 December 2004).]

Posts: 24 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com