EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Translations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Translations
jmpmstr82d
Member # 6076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmpmstr82d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need a hand. I am trying to translate some heiroglyphs, I have the Budge Dictionary and cant find this symbol anywhere. its the arm 2 of them back to back connected. text seems to be reading left to right (animals facing left) it has the symbol for N directly beneath it. I am a ROOKIE at translations but am eager to learn can anyone tell me what this symbol is. I would draw it but my artistic skills are even worse than my hieroglyphic translation skills.
Posts: 6 | From: Wentzville,MO,USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jmpmstr82d:
Need a hand. I am trying to translate some heiroglyphs, I have the Budge Dictionary and cant find this symbol anywhere. its the arm 2 of them back to back connected. text seems to be reading left to right (animals facing left) it has the symbol for N directly beneath it. I am a ROOKIE at translations but am eager to learn can anyone tell me what this symbol is. I would draw it but my artistic skills are even worse than my hieroglyphic translation skills.

Have you already tried looking for the picture of the symbol anywhere on the internet? Otherwise what you are referring to here is anyone's guess.

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 11 December 2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmpmstr82d
Member # 6076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmpmstr82d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked at a 1/2 dozen sites but havent found anything similar yet. if you have a good reliable site I would like to explore that.
Posts: 6 | From: Wentzville,MO,USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmpmstr82d
Member # 6076

Rate Member
found it. arms shrugging = not.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If you care to answer: how can one get access to Budge's dictionary by mail order? Does it also have a grammar? I am just interested in learning a bit of AE just to show off.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psusennes I
Member # 6053

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psusennes I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot translate hieroglyphs with Budge's dictionary alone. Do you know any grammar? It sounds like you are referring to "nn", the non-enclictic particle that negates standard verb compounds.

See: http://www.jimloy.com/hiero/dict14.htm
(about 3/4 way down on the left)

Buy Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar and read up on grammar in general. Budge's dictionary is horribly out of date, and you probably won't be able to just start translating before you know the grammatical basics.

If you have any more questions then feel free to ask. I feel pleased that my knowledge has come in useful. I'm "just learning a bit of AE just to show off" too. Just kidding. I love Egypt, and it seemed the obvious thing to do.

I'd advise you to do some practice exercises before you jump into actual texts- they are stunningly difficult in places and use some really elaborate wording. Also, Budge's dictionary is filled with innacuracies and is not at all trustworthy. Don't feel upset- I bought it too, and then found out the hard way that it was almost completely useless. The king list in book II is quite good though. But he has Psusennes I all wrong- damn him! He's put all of his throne names the wrong way around and mixed them up with the other Psusenneses.

Have a look- and laugh.

[This message has been edited by Psusennes I (edited 12 December 2004).]

Posts: 24 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmpmstr82d
Member # 6076

Rate Member
I am gonna have to check that grammer thing out cause I am basing all my translations from those dictionaries and from some stuff I'm finding on the web....NOT an easy task to say the least.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The best hieroglyphic dictionaries are all in German. Worterbunch is the one I am thinking about. Unfortunately, it's too expensive for the layman,and it's too detailed for a laymen to appreciate.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

The best hieroglyphic dictionaries are all in German. Worterbunch is the one I am thinking about. Unfortunately, it's too expensive for the layman,and it's too detailed for a laymen to appreciate.

Some Worterbunch:
posted previously by altakuri

aCHEIKH ANTA DIOP
Parenté génétique de l'égyptien pharaonique et des langues négro-africaines
Dakar: IFAN-NEA, 1977

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmpmstr82d
Member # 6076

Rate Member
HAHA unfortunately My german is limited to about 5-10 words. Thanks for the posting though I might be able to translate some of that. anyone know if there is a english translation version of this dictionary?
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually that was C.A. Diops text, as already pointed out, translating German translations of Kemetian words into French, and Wolof.

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 12 December 2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This hieroglyph means
nn = en en; anon;
the single n would be "ni"

They both mean no; not; without
Ex: "nn anok nafre" - not I am good - I am not good

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmpmstr82d
Member # 6076

Rate Member
[/QUOTE]
This hieroglyph means
nn = en en; anon;
the single n would be "ni"

They both mean no; not; without
Ex: "nn anok nafre" - not I am good - I am not good

[/QUOTE]
This is where I get confused. If this means en en or anon, then wouldnt a double symbol for the "N" be the same? forgive my ignorance on this perhaps I am trying to piece things together in a spelled out function rather then piecing it together as a combination of letters and symbols. I do thank you for your clarification on this. more research is needed.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dont sweat yourself. If this is what youre seeing

then know that the glyph on the bottom is what you
call a unvoiced phonetic compliment. Its only there
to reinforce the last consonant of the glyph above
it. So dont translate the bottom glyph.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psusennes I
Member # 6053

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psusennes I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And remember- after 'nn', the personal pronoun is used as the object rather than the subject- so watch out!
Posts: 24 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is where I get confused. If this means en en or anon, then wouldnt a double symbol for the "N" be the same? forgive my ignorance on this perhaps I am trying to piece things together in a spelled out function rather then piecing it together as a combination of letters and symbols. I do thank you for your clarification on this. more research is needed.

To help in your research, here's a suggestion:
The expression "nn" is the exact same in;
Yoruba: en en
Coptic: An On (Anon)
If you know how it's used in these languages, then you'll have a good idea how it is used correctly in Mdu Ntr (Mtau Ntair in Coptic). You can usually find a text on the Yoruba language at your local library. It'll take more leg-work for the Coptic.

For further clarification, go to page 339b in Budge's dictionary to see the various ways 'n' and 'nn' are used.

Happy hunting!

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 15 December 2004).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com