EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » "Antibiotic" Beer Gave Ancient Africans Health Buzz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Antibiotic" Beer Gave Ancient Africans Health Buzz
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0516_050516_ancientbeer.html

"Antibiotic" Beer Gave Ancient Africans Health Buzz
John Roach
for National Geographic News
May 16, 2005

Humans have been downing beer for millennia. In certain instances, some drinkers got an extra dose of medicine, according to an analysis of Nubian bones from Sudan in North Africa.

George Armelagos is an anthropologist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. For more than two decades, he and his colleagues have studied bones dated to between A.D. 350 and 550 from Nubia, an ancient kingdom south of ancient Egypt along the Nile River.
The bones, the researchers say, contain traces of the antibiotic tetracycline. Today tetracycline is used to treat ailments ranging from acne flare-ups to urinary-tract infections. But the antibiotic only came into commercial use half a century ago. So how did tetracycline get into the Nubian bones?

Armelagos and his team say they found an answer in ancient beer. The brew was made from grain contaminated with the bacteria streptomycedes, which produces tetracycline.

The ancient Nubians, according to Armelagos, stored their grain in mud bins. A soil bacteria, streptomycedes is ubiquitous in arid climates like Sudan's.

"We looked at how the grain was used then and came across a recipe for beer," Armelagos said. The Nubians would make dough with the grain, bake it briefly at a hot temperature, and then use it to make beer.

"We're not talking about Heineken or Bud Light. This was a thick gruel, sort of a sour cereal," he said.

Feel-Good Drink

According to Armelagos, the Nubians would drink the gruel and probably allowed their children to eat what was left at the bottom of the vat. Traces of tetracycline have been found in more than 90 percent of the bones the team examined, including those of 24-month-old infants.
But did the Nubians know they were drinking beer contaminated with tetracycline?

"They probably realized the alcohol made them feel better, but there is a whole series of Egyptian pharmacopoeias [medicine books] that talk about things beer can help with," Armelagos said. (The ancient Nubians had no written language but lived just south of the Egyptians who did.)

Armelagos said the Egyptians used beer as a gum-disease treatment, a dressing for wounds, and even an anal fumigant?a vaporborne pesticide to treat diseases of the anus. The anthropologist also believes the tetracycline protected the Nubians from bone infections, as all the bones he examined are infection free.

Charlie Bamforth, a professor of biochemistry and brewing science at the University of California, Davis, said that beer has been a staple of the human diet for thousands of years and that the health benefits of beer were likely known, even if not scientifically explained, in ancient times.

"They must have consumed it because it was rather tastier than the grain from which it was derived. They would have noticed people fared better by consuming this product than they were just consuming the grain itself," he said.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

(The ancient Nubians had no written language but lived just south of the Egyptians who did.)

Thought Writes:

Huh?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Writes:

Huh?

Well the article did come from NG..

Also, maybe they were not talking about Meroe'

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Writes: Huh?

I know Thought. That part was inaccurate, but an interesting article nonetheless.

One question is how old is beer-making in Africa? As I understand it, there are many peoples in Africa who practice the custom of making beer. There are peoples who make beer from grains and millets and even from honey. Nilotic tribes are famous for their honey-beer. I think much attention should go to such people to show that this custom is not only old but widespread.

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 16 May 2005).]

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

One question is how old is beer-making in Africa?

Thought Writes:

I have read some studies that suggest that early pottery production among the saharan-sudanese neolithic is related to millet based beer rites.

[This message has been edited by Thought2 (edited 16 May 2005).]

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know Thought. That part was inaccurate, but an interesting article nonetheless.

Yes, a very interesting article. I just wish they would do their homework before writing this crap that possibly millions of people will read and believe. It doesn't take alot of effort to see that Kush did have a script.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long ago did the Egyptians make wine from grapes? Was this something they invented independently or did they learn this from peoples in the Mediterranean?
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How long ago did the Egyptians make wine from grapes? Was this something they invented independently or did they learn this from peoples in the Mediterranean?

Can Ausar or anyone else answer this question?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I don't really know the answer to this question. What I do know is there is some debate as if wine making started around Iran or around the Caucaous mountains region. Recently discovered material seems to indicate Caucasous mountains.

Wine was drunk in anicnet Egypt by the elite classes. There are also scenes of Egyptians picking grapes and crushing them so I assume that Egypt would have had their own brand of wine.

Herodotus made an error when he said the pharaonic Egyptians were without knowleadge of the vine.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

I don't really know the answer to this question. What I do know is there is some debate as if wine making started around Iran or around the Caucaous mountains region. Recently discovered material seems to indicate Caucasous mountains.

Wine was drunk in anicnet Egypt by the elite classes. There are also scenes of Egyptians picking grapes and crushing them so I assume that Egypt would have had their own brand of wine.

Herodotus made an error when he said the pharaonic Egyptians were without knowleadge of the vine.

They invinted wine in Iran and the Caucasus in ancient times?!

I am so used to seeing wine as a Mediterranean invention, if not Egyptian one. I'd assume it would have been invented in Anatolia or Greece at least.

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 18 May 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com