EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Book of Dialog with the Soul

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Book of Dialog with the Soul
zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I.
I spoke to my soul that I may answer what is said: To whom shall I speak today? Brothers and sisters are evil and friends today are not worth loving. Hearts are great with greed and everyone seizes his or her neighbor's goods. Kindness has passed away and violence is imposed on everyone.

To whom shall I speak today? People willingly accept evil and goodness is cast to the ground everywhere. Those who should enrage people by their wrongdoing make them laugh at their evil deeds. People plunder and everyone seizes his or her neighbor's goods.
II.
To whom shall I speak today? The one doing wrong is an intimate friend and the brother with whom one used to deal is an enemy. No one remembers the past and none returns the good deed that is done. Brothers and sisters are evil and people turn to strangers for righteousness or affection.

To whom shall I speak? Faces are empty and all turn their faces from their brothers and sisters. Hearts are great with greed and there is no heart of a man or woman upon which one might lean. None are just and righteous and the land is left to the doers of evil.

To whom shall I speak today? There are no intimate friends and the people turn to strangers to tell their troubles. None are content and those with whom one used to walk no longer exist. I am burden with grief and have no one to comfort me. There is no end to the wrong which roams the earth.
III. Thus,
Death, to me, today is like health to the ill, like going outdoors after confinement. Death, to me, today is like the smell of myrrh, like sitting under the sail on a windy day. Death, to me, today, is like the fragrance of lotus, like sitting on the shore of feasting.

Death, to me, today is like a well-trodden way, like returning home from war. Death, to me, today, is like the clearing of the clouds from the sky, like a person discovering that which was unknown. Death, to me, today, is like longing to see home after spending many years in captivity.
IV.
Surely, one who reaches the beyond will be a living god, punishing the offenses of the wrongdoer. Surely, one who reaches the beyond will be one who stands in the Sun Bark of Ra, causing abundant gifts to be given to the temples. Surely, one who reaches the beyond will be considered wise and will not be prevented from appealing to Ra when he or she speaks.

And the soul said to me; Cast your complaints aside, my comrade and brother. Make offerings on the sacrificial fire and cling to life as I have said. Love me, your soul, here. Set aside thoughts of death and desire death only when your body joins the earth. Then I wll alight on you after you have become truly weary and we shall dwell together forever.

Selections from the Husia by Maulana Karenga

[This message has been edited by zulu (edited 07 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by zulu (edited 07 July 2005).]

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Interesting piece.

Would you mind explaining the history behind it and the others you posted (Sorry I never got to reply about the others)??!

Like what time period, Middle Kingdom or New Kingdom?

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 07 July 2005).]

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The piece is set around the First Intermediate Period when the Khety clan ruled from Middle Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IN the Book of Dalog with the Soul a man expresses despair at the changed social circumstances and contemplates death. This is the earliest known literary example of a soul in turmoil comfronting unjust suffering and raising the question of why and what is to be done. It predates the Hebrew Book of Job approximately fifteen hundred years which represents a similar concern and question and to which it has been prepared.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Wow! Interesting piece.

Would you mind explaining the history behind it and the others you posted (Sorry I never got to reply about the others)??!

Like what time period, Middle Kingdom or New Kingdom?

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 07 July 2005).]

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YuhiVII
Member # 5605

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for YuhiVII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post zulu! It gives a vivid image of the total anarchy that this period must have been.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com