EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Lament to Amun

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lament to Amun
zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a prayer found on a New Kingdom papyrus dating to ca. 1200 B.C. The writer describes a world gone wrong and asks God to help him escape it.

Come to me, Father Amun, protect me in this bitter year of confrontation.
God shines in the sun; yet he will not shine, winter crowds hard upon summer.
Months happen backwards; disheveled hours lurch drunken by.
Those cut down in high places cry out to you, Amun; the beaten in alleyways seek you;
And the new generation at the breasts of its nurses wails, "Give us our Lebensraum, Father!"
God find in his heart to return, bringing peace, bringing air, the clean breeze before him.
Or let him grow me the wings of protection to soar like his sky-ship high beyond earth.
-These words came on the poisoned air, Spoken by herdsmen in fields and marshes, by those who beat c!othes on the banks of the river,
By district police deserting their precincts, by horned beasts on our burning deserts.

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com