EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » How do you pronounce Km.t? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce Km.t?
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a native speaker of American English, when I first came upon the word "Hors D'Oeuvres", I pronounced it as "hors.d.Ouv.res." I later discovered that the word was properly pronounced "or.drv" and was the little snacks passed around at bourgeois social affairs. I knew by then that the word "bourgeois" was properly pronounced "burzh.wah" and NOT "boor.gee.ois!" I had the same problem with the Vietnamese surname of "Nguyen"; I thought it was pronounced "N.goo.yen" but NO, it was pronounced "win" with a nasally "n" included...

So I can sympathize with those who pronounce the African word "Km.t" as "Kem.et." But it was never pronounced this way. The ".t" ending was just an indicator that the word is a noun and the "t" ending was silent.

Km.t in Coptic
In Coptic there are several forms of this word; an adjective/noun that means "Black."
Khme - "kHm"
Kame - "KaHm"
kemi - "Kam.ee"
kmme - "Km.May"
kmom - "Km.ohm"

Km.t in Mdu Ntr
While the above words in Coptic are the same in the older Mdu Ntr, there are several more words based upon this root "Km.t" not found in Coptic:
Kamemou - "KaH.mem.oo ; the "oo/ou" denotes a plural and is sorta like the Hebrew "im" ending.
Kmemou- "Km.em.oo
Kemetiou - probably "Kam.oo" and not "Kam.ay.ti.oo"
Kemu - as the above

Km.t in Wolof
Khem - burnt to black
Keem - burnt rice at the bottom of the pot

Other word examples
--Take for example, the word "Rm.t" for man. In Coptic, it is;
"Rohm" or pronounced the same way as Rome, Italy. In Wolof, the word for "body" is "Ram." But in Coptic, a word to express "Egyptians" is "Rmnk" which seems a corruption of "Rm.t n Km.t/"Rome n Kame"
--Take for example, the phrase "per.Isi" - pronounced "pair.ee.see", which has been suggested as the origin of the name for "Paris" or "Pair.ee"; this isn't absurd if we consider "Memphis Tennessee" or "Cairo Georgia"...

(...to be continued...)

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maat , it's not!
If you were to pronounce the french wine "Pinot (noir)" as "Pee.not", you would probably get a funny look from those around you. Of course, it's pronounced "Pee.noh". No one would look at you funny if you pronounced the word "Maat" as "Maht", but they should...
The word "Maat" , a noun meaning "Truth, Just, True person" is pronounced "me, mee, meei" in Coptic.

Pe.t - Heaven
You probably understand now that "Pe.t" is pronounced "Pe" - and to make it plural, you follow the same rules of the Wolof language of Senegal; to make a word a plural that begins with a "P", the "p" is changed to an "f" or "ph". In Coptic you get "Phue (fu.ay)" or "heavens"; this same rule is used with "per"/house and "fer"/houses...

Het.Kip.Ptoh or "Egypt" is an African word!
It's the Greeks and the Romans, whose world view was that of the City-State, rather than Nation-state. To the Italians, it was Rome and to the Greeks, it was Athens. So they projected this onto their designation of the name of its great capital city of "Memphis" (actually Memfi), which was popularly called "Het.Kip.Ptoh" ("Temple of the essence (ka) of Ptoh)
a) "Het" is pronounced "Hay"
b) "Ki" is a form of "Ka" and the "p" from "Ptoh" is added giving "Kip"
c) "Ptah" is "Toh" in both Coptic and Yoruba, denoting the same god
Thus we have the African word "hAy.Kip.To" which was written in Greco-Latin languages as "Aigypto"...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
...the "Me, Mee, Mei" in Coptic for "Maa.t" is pronounced "May, May.ay, and May.ee" respectively.

...In African/Coptic "Pe" is pronounced "pay"

Alexandria before Alexander
The city of Alexandria was named after the young Macedonian barbarian, who allegedly sat down and wept because 'there were no more peoples left to slaughter.' The original African name for this port city was "Rakoti (Rah.koh.tee)"...

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Wally, Great thread.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ co-sign. [Cool]
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
bw, bu, bou - they all spell 'boo'
This word means "place" and oftentimes is used in conjunction with other words to indicate a condition. It occurs in the Mdu Ntr, Wolof, and Yoruba; Coptic, however, missed the boat on this one, it uses "ma" instead. Here are some examples:

Busiri - Osiris' place (Mdu Ntr); Greek: "Busiris"

Bu Nafre - a nice place (Mdu Ntr)

Bu Rafet - a nice place (Wolof)

Bu Bon - an evil place (Mdu Ntr)
--- Coptic would say: ma (bwwn)(baane)(bani)(boni)(boone)(bwne)

Bu Buru - an evil place (Yoruba)
Bu Huru - an evil place (Mdu Ntr)

Ephestion
Member # 12836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alexandria before Alexander
The city of Alexandria was named after the young Macedonian barbarian, who allegedly sat down and wept because 'there were no more peoples left to slaughter.' The original African name for this port city was "Rakoti (Rah.koh.tee)"...

Bait?

He wept because where ever he went he saved them from those war mongers you see today. I just finished reading a Japanese history of Alexander the Great and from what he says is that the Japanese were not just influenced but in as much as Rome had a claim to be continuators so did the Japanese. The Wine they drink the noble samuri and the statue cultures all indicative of the Greek culture that spread along the silk road which alexander tried to open up and free from pirates and barbarians.

http://www.orient-matsudo.com/gandara.html

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alexander never went to Japan.

I don't know if Alexander wept because he didn't have any more people to kill, but such a fit would not be out of character for a person who went around conquering and killing people.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephestion
Member # 12836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I know he never did. But what he didnt take by his army was later influenced by the opened route that chaneled all the way to Japan (Silk Road). It was the increase in traffic that also increased the volume of the exchange between east and west. Anyway they shared culture which by the way took with it Alexandrian/Egyptian culture with it all the way to Japan. In particular I think the faith sytsems although influenced by the Greeks were still rooted in some archaic theological knowledge from Egypt perhaps by Nubians or the Old Kingdom?!

Greek Sphinx
 -

Japanese Sphinx
 -

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamui R.
Member # 12040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamui R.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Wally.

This is the reason that I come to this forum.

Real info not the kind of stuff that floats around mainstream culture.

Speaking of which and OT, does anyone hear the kind of crap that is spread on the Art Bell show ?

Wally, if you have more and would you please make a text file with all this on it? perhaps something to be made available as a download.

Again, thank you.

k.

--------------------

Posts: 14 | From: Hampton Roads, Va | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Coptic colors and other stuff...

The following is taken from
A SHORT ENGLISH-COPTIC CLASSIFIED VOCABULARY
WITH ILLUSTRATIVE SENTENCES...

39. Colour
>to be black kmom kem*

neffw etolm sesEt eukem nthe n henabooke.
His curly hair streams out, being black as ravens.

>to be white oubash ouobsh*

ainau eupugy m moou noc esouobash Nve N ouxiwn.
I saw a great fountain of water, white as snow.

>to be red trosh torosh*, troshresh treshrwsh*

auw afei ebol Nci ouhto eftreshrwsh.
And a red horse came forth.

Gold
noub = gold
P^hamnoub = goldsmith
ouaNouba = Nubian
NaNouba = Nubians
This sentence is taken from another source:
Anok ang ouKame (Coptic; Song of Solomon)
I am Black...(Song of Solomon)

For the complete Pdf, see
http://www.coptic.org/language/coptvocabexx.pdf

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Kamui R.:
Thank you, Wally.

This is the reason that I come to this forum.

Real info not the kind of stuff that floats around mainstream culture.

Speaking of which and OT, does anyone hear the kind of crap that is spread on the Art Bell show ?

Wally, if you have more and would you please make a text file with all this on it? perhaps something to be made available as a download.

Again, thank you.

k.

You can cut and paste information on this forum to your own personal files. It's unfortunate that we don't have the search feature here, but you can manually work your way through; I recommend the following posters that you should pay attention to:
Ausar
Djehuti
rasol
AlTakruri
supercar
Myra

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helene Hagan has said that the word KMT would be related to the Berber word "Akham" meaning "Home" in the Berber language. If i recall correctly.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Ancient Egyptian is older than Berber, so whether or not Berber words are of Ancient Egyptian derivation has no bearing whatsoever on the meaning of words of Kemetic origin.

In mdw ntr Km.t means 'black', not home.

No credible linguist denies that Km.t means black, nor claims that the AE word is of Berber origin, so why attempt to mislead?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Ahmoses??
This is the conventional spelling for the first 'formal' Pharaoh of the 18th dynasty. We know that this was essentially a clan name; "Son of the moon", the "moon" being the name of the king's mother; the Queen-Mother.
The word for moon in the Mdu Ntr is "ioh" (yoh) and in Coptic it is "ooh" (ooh), so is the proper way to pronounce the king's name "Yohm.ohs.es" or "Oohm.ohs.es"? There is also a rendering in a non-African language of "Amasis" which sounds a lot more like "Oohm.ohs.es", which is probably the correct way to say this king's name...

Ankh from Wnkh & Onkh
Here again, is the occasion of the ubiquitous "A", and even while it is pronounced as an African "A" (Ah), it is still (most likely) an incorrect pronunciation. It should be pronounced "Uhn.kh" or "Ohn.kh"

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The astute will have recognized that the Coptic word for "Nubian" (OuaNouba) is also more closely related phonetically to another group of Africans:

OuaNouba = Wa.Nuba (wah.Noo.bah) = "One Nuba"...

quote:

The Nuba peoples who live in the geographical center of Sudan are the largest of many groups in Northern Sudan and are the descendants of the peoples of the Kush kingdom of the 8th century. They form a collection of dozens of different ethnic groups with different cultures and languages.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NorthAfrocentric nonsense easily dispelled by one
lookup of the word in any Rn Mdw lexicon/dictionary
which Helene didn't know how to do and is counter to
her agenda.

Her booklet may have a gem or two in it but only
someone already well versed in Egyptology, Africana,
and related fields will be able to sift through its
erroneous and inaccurate enthusiast material.

quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:
Helene Hagan has said that the word KMT would be related to the Berber word "Akham" meaning "Home" in the Berber language. If i recall correctly.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
^
Ancient Egyptian is older than Berber..

Who told you this? [Big Grin]
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

^ Linguists Joseph Greenberg and Christopher Ehret. Berber is the youngest of the mdw ntr related [Afrisan] language families.
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Nice, how did they reached that conclusion?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please name any linguist who ranks Tamazight as other
than the last or next to last phylum to seperate from
Afrisan (Afrasian/Afro-Asian/Hamito-Semitic [sic])?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
I have no idea about the languistiek. I think i read some nice article on the history of the Berbers, and i think the history is God of the languistiek when it comes to the ancienity.

It would be strange that there is no readable egyptian inscription older than the existence of the Berbers in Egypt. The oldest readable Egyptian inscription has mentioned the Berbers. So, can we say that the Egyptian language is older than the Berber one.

Still in the historic category i can provide some sources that Berbers might be the ancestors of a considerable part of the Encient Egyptians.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Here is a citation, which i just found concerning the origin of the Egyptians:
"We have already alluded to the opinion of Prof. Ritte and others, that the old beja and modern bishareens were derived from the Berber or Libyan stock of nations. I am ready to go farther, and adopt the sentiment of the leaned Dr. Murray, that the Egyptian and monumental Ethiopians were of the same lineage, and probably descended from a Libyan tribe.

"This view of the case [be continued] at once reconciles the statement of Champollion, Rosellinin, Heeren, and Rüppell, they they could detect the Nubian physiognomy everywhere on the monuments; but, at the same time, it supersedes the necessity of their inference that Nubia was the cradle of civilization, and that the arts, descending the river, were perfected in Egypt."

In further support of the common origin of the Egyptians, Berbers and other tribes of Northern Africa, Morton refers to evidence furnished by Ritter, Heeren, Shaler, Hodgson, - showing how the Libyan or Berber speech was once the language of all Northern Africa," and infinitely more ancient than the Coptic -probably as old as the monumental language of Egypt's pyramidal period..."

Source:
Types of Mankind Or, Ethnological Researches: based upon the ancient monuments, paintings,..., George Robins Gliddon, Henry Stuart Patterson, Josiah Clark Nott, Samuel George Morton, Louis Agassiz, William Usher - 1855 p. 230

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

Segue:
to make a transition from one thing to another smoothly and without interruption;
The conversation segued from travel anecdotes to food.

This is a tactic often used by those who can't add to the topic at hand. For example:
The attempt to change the conversation from words in the Mdu Ntr and their meanings and correct pronunciations to:
A) a pointless discussion about Alexander of Macedon by Ephestion and
B) a discussion of Berbers by Mazigh, who uses the Berber nationalist writer Helene Hagan as a source...

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
1855?
George Robins Gliddon & Josiah Clark Nott??
The very racists authors of Types of Mankind???
http://www.understandingrace.org/history/science/one_race.html
Tell me you're joking!

And sorry Wally but I had to comment on that one.
Won't allow myself to be distracted from your
thread's stated subject again.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
An example of non-answer:
"Helene hagan is Berber nationalist."

Correction: Helene Hagan is ethincally Spanish and Berber, and above all, it didn't say it a notionalist conference, but in a book as an antropologist.

Sorry for disturbing this topic, i though the Berber pronuciation can help, i myself can recognize some Berber words in the Egyptian language...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:

I think, perhaps, that both you and Helene Hagan are confused as to how words in different languages are related; it isn't enough that the words are similar in spelling, they must also be similar in their meanings:

Example A) Let us first look at the word "Ran" as it appears in 5 languages:

1) Mdu Ntr: Ran = "Name"
2) Coptic: Ran = "Name"
3) Yoruba: Ran = "Name"
4) English: Ran = past tense of "Run"; a word of motion
5) Japanese: Ran = "chaos"

Clearly, the first three African words are not only similar in meaning, but are exact matches! - the English and Japanese words are not related to the African words or to each other.

Example B) Now, let us examine the words for Black or Negro in several languages.

1) Mdu Ntr: eKame = "Black/Negro"
2) Coptic: ouKame = "Black/Negro"
3) French: le Nègre = "the Negro"
4) Spanish: el Negro = "the Negro"

One can readily see how the words used to express a concept differ between the African languages and that of the Romance languages...

Now, let us look at the incorrect assessment that "Kmt" (Black) is related to the Berber word "Akham" (home); ie, how is the word "Black" similar to the word "home?" Simple, it isn't...

1) Berber: Akham = "home"
2) Mdu Ntr: Ekham = "Black"
3) Coptic: OuKham = "a Black (person)"
Obviously, there is no correspondence between the Mdu Ntr and Berber in regards to the word "Kmt."

Simple Examples from the Mdu Ntr:
Res = "south" - Resu = "southerners"
Tawi = "Two Lands" - Tawiu = "Two Landers"
TaMeri = "My Beloved Land" - Tameriu = "My Beloved Landers"
Kem = "Black" - Kemu = "Blacks"

Because the Ancient Egyptians referred to themselves as "Kemu" or Blacks is an irrefutable fact and is why modern 'revisionists' like to ignor this significant fact and would rather harp on "Keme.t" or "Keme.tiou" which is more easily 'toyed' with than the more absolute word of "Kemu"...

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Bu Nafre !
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
question for wally. I recall one of the threads mentioning how africans view each other and that in hetergenous societies color descriptions are given. NOt as a race nomenclature but description. I read one memeber saying that the fulani were the redman of africa and i saw somewhere concerning mali or chad that the southerners called the tuareq white or red. similarities, i think, exist in mauritania where it is written of sudanees and bidanees. I noticed that from the information that i have aquired, that in african societies, that are dominanted(in whatever sphere)by dark skinned peoeples, tend to name other groups color epithets such as red. While in contrast that you find that lighterskinned dominating societies have descriptive names for darkerskinned peoples. Like in the ancient arab world where the black arabs or darkskinned arabs, what have you, are called aghribat-ul-'arab which is translated LITERALLY as the crows of the arab. Italians say eggplant. the romans say aiethiop, but in dynastic egypt, red ochre is used for blue eyed blond or bruenette haired light skinned people. Color description for people tend to be a mark for societies who maybe have hatred, despisement, or even amazement and astonishment for the recieving party of the color description. WHy don't the nehusi have a color description. I mean if you look at the sudan , the word aswad is reserved for jet black sudanese mainly non-muslims. In saudia those same sudanese who would be considered arab in the sudan are now zanooj(literally:blacks) in that part of the world. I'm assuming nehusi were people who were basically not feeling egyptians at all, so why not then these people be called wretched blacks or something like that. something to deal with the color. I see that for a reference to color to be made then it would either be by a people who viewed the others color as different. Africans of different shades always fight each other but i never referenced color separation such as tamahu. It reminds me of people saying redneck or redshanks. The word aamu i recall from other threads is a name meaning people who traverse the sand and then materialized itself into a meaning similiar to that of slave, which is no different from the word slave itself from slav of course. The same in the muslim world when euro slaves became out of stock and attention turned towards "black africa" then black became synonomous with abd. What is your take?

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
WHy don't the nehusi have a color description.
They do. It's the same color distinction as the rm.t.

There are two color descriptions in mdw ntr - black and red. Both rm.t and nehesi are classed as km.t. [blacks] and are descendant of Heru, both Aamu and Tamehu are classed as reds [dshr] and are descendant of Seketh.

quote:
so why not then these people be called wretched blacks or something like that. something to deal with the color.
Because black is not wretched to the km.t. Black was sacred. Therefore they themselves, and their ancestors and their gods embodied 'blackness'.

"Ancient Egyptians" called themselves Blacks.

They named their nation Black.

They symbolically painted their Gods and ancestors in literally pitch black SKIN.

When they did this they referred to their ancestors as -> The Great Blacks. kem wer.

The blackness in question was both shown and stated to be in the skin -> kem ho [black face].

If you can accept this, then all of these questions have self evident answers.

But....if you can't, if you continue to see the world thru the anti-kemitic lenses of ws.t and arab racism.....then you will never understand, because in your psyche it is impossible for 'black' to be inherently intrinsically...good.

quote:
I see that for a reference to color to be made then it would either be by a people who viewed the others color as different.
^ This is another example of anti-kemetic psychology.

I know you don't want to recognise this, but it is clear.

How can you say the above when you have the example of 'white people' who chose to call themselves 'white', thefore directly contradicting what you just asserted?

In order to harbor your view - somehow you must feel that it is 'natural' for people to choose to call themselves white....but somehow un-natural for people to call themslves black.

Let's be clear about this then:

In order for a people to *give themselves* a label, one thing is required - the label must be seen by said people as positive. And that's all.

quote:
The word aamu i recall from other threads is a name meaning people who traverse the sand
No, that is namehu, a different word altogether.

quote:
and then materialized itself into a meaning similiar to that of slave, which is no different from the word slave itself from slav of course.
Correct. The irony here that few people understand is that both Aamu and Slav are words that carry the connotation of 'slavery', and both originate as ethnic names of Eurasian peoples.

In the modern ws.t discourse - slav - effectively comes to mean 'black' and/or 'negro'.

In the mdw ntr - of course - there is no association between the word black and the concept of slavery.

The anti-Kemetic world view whose lies are held as self evident truths, and that you take for granted was inconceivable to the Km.t.

Conversely their world view is very hard for you to fathom.

rasol
Member # 4592

^ Irony of the above is that 1st translations of mdw ntr by Europeans immediately picked up on this.

Only later did Europeans start lying about the AE referring to themselves as Blacks.

Really they had no choice but to lie - 19th century Europe was based on white supremacy...which is a lie.

Correct translation of mdw ntr is a direct threat to one of the sacred ideological foundations of ws.t civilisation.

Once they figured out what lies to tell, and exploited the fact that there was so much contempt for modern Blacks...that almost any excuse could be proferred over the truth.

In this atmoshere it is possible to simply make
references to Black Greatness disappear....even when it is written down in plain text for all of history to see.....

Osirus, Kem Wer, la grande Negre', the great Black - translated by Champollion.

It is striking that the goddess Isis, according to the legend, has precisely the same skin color that Nubians always have, and that the god Osiris has what seems to me an ethnic epithet indicating his Nubian origin. Apparently this observation has never before been made".--Amélineau, Prolégomènes

^ Do you even see that this answers your question about nehesu and resu [ancient egyptian and 'nubian'] ?

Or are you still somehow blinded by the ws.t word-fog, wherein black cannot mean 'black' anymore whenever the context exposes the fraud of white supremacy? ?

fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to rasol, Thank you for the clarification. Did you know that the root word for black in arabic is sud or sood or su'dood or su'dad which is used for sayyid=master. the verb aswada can mean to be born black or to be born a master. Question? There are no tribal references to ancient egyptians while the egyptians know distinct names of tribes from gold land down to the cataracts and western lybians. Could this be due to their amalgamation like nations such as france, usa, and etc. whereas in the us there are people who know very little of their ancestry except that they and their known families are native to the land. Could rmt n rome be the fact that they are superior socially compared to their homogenous neighbors who insist on living like jeds instead of the cosmopolitan way of life. I see sometimes kings to common people wearing ostrich feathers like nubians and lybians. the rope around the hair like asiatics. khol like the asiatics. Is this evidence for a nation open to vast cultures but unified on a state culture. A nation not specifically made up of tribal or family relations.

--------------------

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abdulkarem3:

There are no tribal references to ancient egyptians while the egyptians know distinct names of tribes from gold land down to the cataracts and western lybians.

What do you make of names like "Anu" or "Medjay", none of which represented nation states to my knowledge?

According to Steven Brandt, dated ca. late Old Kingdom, some heiroglyphs have been located in the Eastern desert of Egypt mentioning pastoral groups: the ‘3M and/or IWN.TYW / ST.TYW / MNTW N SWT., which were likely Semitic speaking groups, and then the MD3 and BK / BKK / B3KT, who were some other Afrasan speaking groups, perhaps Cushitic speakers.

Many a times, when the Kemetians referred to the southern regions [which were perhaps not necessarily all viewed as independent nation states] they would name them by 'district names, as opposed to names of what you call "tribes".

quote:
abdulkarem3:

Could this be due to their amalgamation like nations such as france, usa, and etc. whereas in the us there are people who know very little of their ancestry except that they and their known families are native to the land. Could rmt n rome be the fact that they are superior socially compared to their homogenous neighbors who insist on living like jeds instead of the cosmopolitan way of life.

That is why it is called a nation state, because citizens ultimately identify with their nationality. While Kemet is the earliest known nation state, the idea of nationality was not confined to the Kemetians in the Nile Valley, for the Kushites too identified by nationality, not by "tribes" [whatever that means to you]. With nationality, usually comes a sense of chauvinism, where one presumes their nation is better than others. So that too, not confined to Kemet.

What do you mean by 'jeds'? Are you suggesting that the Kushites didn't have a "cosmopolitan way of life", whatever that means to you?

quote:
abdulkarem3:

I see sometimes kings to common people wearing ostrich feathers like nubians and lybians. the rope around the hair like asiatics. khol like the asiatics. Is this evidence for a nation open to vast cultures but unified on a state culture. A nation not specifically made up of tribal or family relations.

How do you know that the band on heads comes from Asiatics? What do you mean open to 'vast cultures'? While various aspects of Kemetic cultural traits can be traced back to Saharo-tropical Africa, are you implying that the essence of Kemetic culture is a hodgepodge of ‘all’ the said cultures?
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
...comments on some mistakes posted...
Aamu means servant in the Mdu Ntr. As one Nigerian poster previously (some time ago) added that the word is similar in meaning to the Yoruba word, which means that they are "particularly clumsy servants" at that, always breaking things.

Namu Sho is the correct term for Nomads - Namu = travelers and Sho = sand, which the Kememou portrayed as a specific ethnic group distinct from themselves, and wearing the costumes of various peoples whom they considered to represent the Namu Sho.

Tamhu - means "Red" ones; a word distinct from "Deshru" which means "red" as well as "evil." Today, it would be the equivalent in meaning to "White folks." The Deshretu were all those peoples, collectively, who were not Blacks...

It is higly likely that prior to Blacks having any contact with non-Blacks, the word "Red" was used to describe lighter skin Blacks, and is common in the Black world. "Chicago Red" and "Detroit Red" were names given to Redd Foxx and Malcolm X by Black folks. In the Black world, the word "Black" was one of esteem, sacred and honored. It is difficult for those steeped in the present world of White dominance to comprehend that which is, in fact, quite simple and obvious...

Budge's dictionary is in most public libraries. So most of the words in the Mdu Ntr are available. There are also other reference sources for the language of the people we're discussing on this forum. There is very little need for guesswork...

Sud, Sudan, Aswad, Kush
All these words in Arabic and Hebrew appear to be derived words. "Kush" or "Negro" in Hebrew is a word that is given pre-imminence in the Bible(of course, all the "Sons of Ham" were "Negros"), "Kush" is said, by some Bible scholars to have been given this position because it was in such a position when the Bible was being written; Kush, Mizraim, Phut, and Canaan. The words "Sud," "Sudan", and "Aswad" in Arabic seem to be derived from the Mdu Ntr words "Suten" which essentially means "Land of the Sedge plant" or "those from the Sedge country (Upper Egypt/Sudan)

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
It is higly likely that prior to Blacks having any contact with non-Blacks, the word "Red"
I agree with this - black & red labeling occurs rather frequently in africa.

These are native African ethnic constructs.

This is why we can disregard the ws.t dissembling to the effect that 'black/ethnicity' is somehow a western invention - the purpose of this argument being that it follows then that it is for the ws.t to arbirtrarily dictate who is and who is not black.

The ws.t invented black to approximately the same degree that it invented agriculture, writing...and pyramids.

fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
sorry supercar for my poor choice of words of jeds because I spoke in reference to the wolof meaning of nehasu: good for nothing. I also spoke in accordance to what you said about national chauvinism in which a kemet king called their southern neighbors names such as wretched. the word ret na rome is basically saying nobody can touch us unless you do our way. we respect yours but not as much as ours.
no different from the feelings of the french towards the british or the americans towards mexicans. Do not the united states citizens call itself americans while knowing that above them and below them are people who also exist in THE AMERICAS. yet still latinos and hispanics are employed along with many other foriegn representatives in the united states military. Matter of fact you can obtain your citizenship by doing so.

The hodgepodge question was my presumption of the fact that majority of prospering nations heads, who achieved worldly fame, have borrowed customs and cultures from their subjects, neighbors, citizens, you name it they did it.

The prophet muhammad(saw) would use ethiopian words. The arabs would use dinars and dirhams which are not native to the country. They would were yemeni, egyptian and persian clothing wear.
Alot of the arab culture along with its people are take from here and do my own thing. The prophet (saw) himself was descended from non arabs.

the greeks did the same thing according to their own testimony
even the backwards qelts and gauls mixed their stuff.
look at the brits who are prime example they are a people of
danish rapist
normans
celtic pride
angles
jutes
picts give us freedom
roman soldier bastards
pakistani
caribean
egyptian
i say like in the history of khaldun
" people of the cities are made by their environment(physically, socially,etc)" meaning they have to associate by necessity.

--------------------

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abdulkarem3:

sorry supercar for my poor choice of words of jeds because I spoke in reference to the wolof meaning of nehasu: good for nothing. I also spoke in accordance to what you said about national chauvinism in which a kemet king called their southern neighbors names such as wretched. the word ret na rome is basically saying nobody can touch us unless you do our way. we respect yours but not as much as ours.

Okay. I guess we are clear on that.

quote:
abdulkarem3:

The hodgepodge question was my presumption of the fact that majority of prospering nations heads, who achieved worldly fame, have borrowed customs and cultures from their subjects, neighbors, citizens, you name it they did it.

Well, you made some specific claims with regards to these borrowings, which I questioned and would still welcome answers for. Naturally, through trade and immigration culture flows from place to place, but core Kemetic culture put in place by dynastic Egypt, was largely the local Nile Valley development. These 'borrowings' are trivial to the issue of the core Kemetic culture inherited from the consolidation of the core pre-dynastic Nile Valley complexes.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Some more derived words (reposted)
update...
K= Kemetian original; G= Greek derivation; L= Latin derivation
K: He(t)kuptoh (Memphis) > G: Aiguptos > Egypt
K: Nami (nomad)/Namu (nomads) > G: Nomas (nomad) > L: Nomas > Numidia (Nomada)
K: Nubi (gold miner) > L: Nubia
---
K: Afri Ka (hot highlands above the Nile)
(note: ka afri= "hot highlands" and afri ka ="heat of or from the highlands")
K: Afer (to be hot)
K: Afri (heat, steam, hot vapors)
?: Afer (a Numidian people)
K: Ka;Kau:Kao (hills above the Nile valley)

Probable origin of the term "Ethiopia"
K: Ethaush (frontier, border) > Coptic: Ethosh (and Ethoshi, Ethoshu), a name given to all peoples that lived on the frontiers of Egypt. Ethoshi ("Nubian"; Budge's take EWB-p760b)

Saba/Shaba/Sheba: Original name(s) for Meroe - source Flavius Josephus, who relied heavily upon the works of Manetho, an Egyptian priest (c300 B.C.E.)

K: Fenkhu (foreigners) > G: Phoinikes > Phoenicians (Khaftiu)? > foreigners

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
It's not "Punt" as in football
This is another one of those words that's simple to understand but has been so disfigured as to render it almost unintelligible.
So, here's the reality of the word:
It is written P.won.t and is pronounced "P.wohn" or "Pohn" - the "P" in the word means essentially "the" and the "Won" means "original/first/beginning"; thus "Pwon" means "The original" and with the determinative "foreign country" it implies that this "Pwon" is the original country or country of origin, which as Budge and others have pointed out is essentially East Africa; Ethaush, etc.
Yet another emphatic statement by the Kememou as to where their nation originated...

salah
Member # 11739

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats interesting is that black is called in somali MADOW.
Egyptian language=Mdu ntr

sounds close.

Posts: 216 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by salah:
whats interesting is that black is called in somali MADOW.
Egyptian language=Mdu ntr

sounds close.

this is an interesting comparison...
In Coptic we also have
mtau= wizardry; magic words; words
In the Mdu Ntr we also have
Mdu ro en Keme= "words from the mouth of Black"
keep in mind, however, that Mdu doesn't mean Black... [Confused] [Smile]

Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
Maat , it's not!
If you were to pronounce the french wine "Pinot (noir)" as "Pee.not", you would probably get a funny look from those around you. Of course, it's pronounced "Pee.noh". No one would look at you funny if you pronounced the word "Maat" as "Maht", but they should...
The word "Maat" , a noun meaning "Truth, Just, True person" is pronounced "me, mee, meei" in Coptic.

Pe.t - Heaven
You probably understand now that "Pe.t" is pronounced "Pe" - and to make it plural, you follow the same rules of the Wolof language of Senegal; to make a word a plural that begins with a "P", the "p" is changed to an "f" or "ph". In Coptic you get "Phue (fu.ay)" or "heavens"; this same rule is used with "per"/house and "fer"/houses...

Het.Kip.Ptoh or "Egypt" is an African word!
It's the Greeks and the Romans, whose world view was that of the City-State, rather than Nation-state. To the Italians, it was Rome and to the Greeks, it was Athens. So they projected this onto their designation of the name of its great capital city of "Memphis" (actually Memfi), which was popularly called "Het.Kip.Ptoh" ("Temple of the essence (ka) of Ptoh)
a) "Het" is pronounced "Hay"
b) "Ki" is a form of "Ka" and the "p" from "Ptoh" is added giving "Kip"
c) "Ptah" is "Toh" in both Coptic and Yoruba, denoting the same god
Thus we have the African word "hAy.Kip.To" which was written in Greco-Latin languages as "Aigypto"...

This particular thread is extremely important ... especially for African American who don't understand the dynamics African languages. With this being said ...

How is 'Paut' pronounced? I usually see the word in sequence with 'Net[j]er' but it is frustrating to read a word that you don't know if your properly pronouncing. Above you have the word 'Pe' but I'm almost for sure that it doesn't carry the same sound as do 'Pa'. Secondly, is the 't' always silent or does it carry the 'D' sound.

This part of Egyptian studies have been the most difficult to grasp!

Thank you in advance,

Peace!~

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by KaBa Un Hru:
This particular thread is extremely important ... especially for African American who don't understand the dynamics African languages. With this being said ...

How is 'Paut' pronounced? I usually see the word in sequence with 'Net[j]er' but it is frustrating to read a word that you don't know if your properly pronouncing. Above you have the word 'Pe' but I'm almost for sure that it doesn't carry the same sound as do 'Pa'. Secondly, is the 't' always silent or does it carry the 'D' sound.

This part of Egyptian studies have been the most difficult to grasp!

Thank you in advance,

Peace!~

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean the expression "Pw.t Ntjr?"
or "Heavens of the god/saint?"- if so, in Coptic it would be "fu-way ntchair"; or pretty close to that. Can you post the glyphs for what you're asking?

Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Exactly!!

Thank you very much ... I didn't express that to well.

I don't have the glyph ... I was actually reading this link when I came across the word.

http://www.aasorlando.org/tree.htm

Peace!~

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
^ Exactly!!

Thank you very much ... I didn't express that to well.

I don't have the glyph ... I was actually reading this link when I came across the word.

http://www.aasorlando.org/tree.htm

Peace!~

Ah, I think you mean "Pw.t nteru" or loosely "bread of the gods/saints." This would probably sound something like "Poh ntchair.oo"

There are some excellent Coptic language (the latest stage of the Mdu Ntr) sites on the internet where you can, in some cases, hear how the words are pronounced. You should try them. This isn't a hidden or mysterious language at all. [Smile]

Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Thanks a lot ...

Do you have any suggestions as concerning sites?

They will be appreciated ...

Hotep!

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Thanks a lot ...

Do you have any suggestions as concerning sites?

They will be appreciated ...

Hotep!

I have listed some previously, but until we get the search function restored I'm not going to repeat them again, HOWEVER, just Google "English Coptic" and you'll get a plethora of sites...
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Hotep!
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Topic...
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^lol

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com