EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Why do African themed books go out of print quick?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do African themed books go out of print quick?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that many good books within English speaking countries that are African themed go out of print quick or end up in the bargin bin. Why is this? Worth noting is books on Northern Africa, the Arabian peninsula,or eastern Africa are hard to find in English speaking countries.

Some examples of this are most of Ivan Van Sertima,Basil Davidson,and any other authors who have wonderful books but are not acessible. Van Sertima's books are pricey used and will most likely be out of print soon. Diop's books might suffer a similar fate.

Lots of more academic titles on Africa are pricey even when used. Does anybody know any company that specilize in used books about Africa?

What are the factors? Not enough interest?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This search engine will bring up competitive prices for books that are used and out of print. It is very rare that I can't find a book that I'm looking for.

http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/books.htm

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there is quite a bit of interest. I see people that buy them for reasons being as broad as; african/american, history, general interest, for the coffee table in their themed room.

But Africa is just one of those places that we know so much about. We've (general public) seen so many documentaries, movies, pictures, articles, etc. That maybe a lot of it is starting to look the same. ??? I know when I skim one, pretty much the same stuff. Not always, but mostly.

Anyway, just a thought. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want much stuff on African history, perhaps the best place to look towards, is French publications. There are many French speaking African scholars, whose works we are yet to fully glean material from. In fact, Diop was one of them; just happened to be one of the most translated amongst them, from French to English.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephestion
Member # 12836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading a few articles and viewing some higher level so called academics i am starting to appreciate everyone in this field has a hidden agenda or comes to the investigation with way too much bias. Alot of it is fellow egyptologists trying to shootdown others as quickly as possible. This is one of the contributing reasons why someones theory is replaced by anothers'. It will take a pure heart, sole and perhaps an outsider to take a birds eye view of the situation and write something that will last longer than 10 years.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books, any books, go out of print for financial
reasons primarily. No publisher or distributer
is going to kill its golden geese. If book A
doesn't sell N copies in X amount of time, zikt,
its out of print.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
Want much stuff on African history, perhaps the best place to look towards, is French publications. There are many French speaking African scholars, whose works we are yet to fully glean material from. In fact, Diop was one of them; just happened to be one of the most translated amongst them, from French to English.

True indeed, all of books I have, even Hiernaux's are in French so thats where I get alot of info from too.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com