EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » African Neolithic: The Saga Continues....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: African Neolithic: The Saga Continues....
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Horn of Africa as a centre of barley diversification and a potential domestication site

TAG Theoretical and Applied Genetics

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Jihad Orabi1, 4, Gunter Backes1, Asmelash Wolday2, Amor Yahyaoui3 and Ahmed Jahoor1

(1) Department of Agricultural Sciences, The University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Life Sciences, Thorvaldsensvej 40, 1871 Frederiksberg, Copenhagen, Denmark
(2) National Agricultural Research Institute (NARI), Ministry of Agriculture of the Government of Eritrea, P.O. Box 4627 Halhale, Asmara, Eritrea
(3) International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA), P.O. Box 5466, Aleppo, Syria
(4) General Commission for Scientific Agricultural Research (GCSAR), P.O. Box 113, Douma, Damascus, Syria

Received: 30 March 2006 Accepted: 12 January 2007 Published online: 6 February 2007

Communicated by F. Ordon.
Abstract According to a widely accepted theory on barley domestication, wild barley (Hordeum vulgare ssp. spontaneum) from the Fertile Crescent is the progenitor of all cultivated barley (H. vulgare ssp. vulgare). To determine whether barley has undergone one or more domestication events, barley accessions from three continents have been studied (a) using 38 nuclear SSR (nuSSRs) markers, (b) using five chloroplast SSR (cpSSR) markers yielding 5 polymorphic loci and (c) by detecting the differences in a 468 bp fragment from the non-coding region of chloroplast DNA. A clear separation was found between Eritrean/Ethiopian barley and barley from West Asia and North Africa (WANA) as well as from Europe. The data from chloroplast DNA clearly indicate that the wild barley (H. vulgare ssp. spontaneum) as it is found today in the “Fertile Crescent” might not be the progenitor of the barley cultivated in Eritrea (and Ethiopia). Consequently, an independent domestication might have taken place at the Horn of Africa.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consistent with my 'pre-existing' viewpoint about the Neolithic of the African Horn being independent from southwest Asian Neolithic, but rather, with an east African provenance.

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. I don't know how I could have missed this. It's too bad you need to pay to read the full article. Does anyone have access to it, or want to buy it and share with the rest of us? Myra? Anyone?

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump. I'd really love to read this article if anyone has more information about it (i.e. access, or access to related articles).

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^If it's a new publication, as its dating suggests, then you'll likely have to pay to get access to it online. Otherwise, your nearest university/college library would be the next place to check.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
I've checked it out, and unfortunately I only have online access to issues including Oct 2006 and before, but not Nov, Dec, Jan, or Feb (when this study came out), at least not online. I'll check for hard copies, but this means that I can provide anyone with access to previous studies if they ask me (pm).

--------------------

Jomo
Member # 12975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h63xx28l3l212711/fulltext.html

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Thanks a lot!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com