EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: ARE WE STILL ENSLAVING OURSELVES?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: ARE WE STILL ENSLAVING OURSELVES?
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I copied this off a nilevalleycivilisation.com thread:

quote:

Egyptians who enslaved girl 10 get U S prison

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Two Egyptian nationals who pleaded guilty to enslaving a 10-year-old Egyptian girl at their Southern California home, making her work long hours serving their family of seven, were sentenced on Monday to prison terms.

Abdel Nasser Youssef Ibrahim, 57, was sentenced to three years in federal prison and his former wife, Amal Ahmed Ewisabd Motelib, 43, was given 22 months behind bars by a federal judge. Prosecutors said the pair will be deported after serving their sentences.

U.S. District Judge James Selna also ordered the defendants to pay their victim more than $76,000 in restitution, which represents the money the girl should have been paid during the two years she worked for their family.

"The young victim in this case was subject to inhumane conditions that included both physical and verbal abuse," U.S. Attorney Debra Yang said in a written statement.

"As a result of recent changes in federal law she has been granted a visa that will allow her to stay and hopefully prosper in the United States," Yang said.

In pleading guilty in June the defendants admitted bringing the girl to the United States from Egypt in 2000 when she was 10 under an arrangement with her parents, confiscating her passport and forcing her to work 16 hours a day as a domestic servant.

The girl was required to assist the couple's youngest children in getting ready for school, to prepare and serve food, clean the home, do laundry and work in the yard, according to court papers.

She was not allowed to attend school and was told she would be arrested if she was spotted alone outside their home. The couple each admitted to slapping the girl at least once to get her to work, the court papers said. Authorities did not say how her plight came to light.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061023/ts_nm/crime_slavery_dc;_ylt=Art4Ba_LApWqntCHlyZ0Pf9g.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4b3FrcXQ0BHNlYwMxNjkz

I KNOW PLENTY OF NIGERIANS WHO STILL HAVE THESE YOUNG "HOUSE GIRLS" OR "HOUSE BOYS" (EVEN IN THE UK!!!), THEY ARE ESPECIALLY IMPORTED FROM TOGO OR BENIN. THIS REALLY SOUNDS LIKE SLAVERY TO ME, MAYBE THINGS IN AFRICA WON'T CHANGE UNTIL WE LIFT THIS KARMIC BURDEN WE'VE PUT ON OURSELVES...

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What made you think that this happends through out whole of Africa?
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I've heard of places it has, but I doubt it does everywhere.

Yonis, where doesn't it.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Africa is doomed until we stop this sh*t. Karma's a b*tch.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by Sh*t?
Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slavery
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by What Box : carLos manGuiNGez:
^I've heard of places it has, but I doubt it does everywhere.

Yonis, where doesn't it.

First of all the whole of africa does not have the same of attitude as 2pac is trying to propose here, just because Nigerians have slave girls in england and modern egyptians have slave girls in california, does not mean that the whole god damn continent practice this thing.

In somalia most of nomadic society in the north has not had any slavery since 18th century and the southern somalia ended slavery at 19 century throughout beginning of 20th century.

Somalis nomads in the south forgot anything slavery for such along time and intermarriage between all somali speaker despite being of bantu origin was common in the southern riverine region(jubba and shabelle rivers) that slavery was unthinkable. We might at the moment be economical unprivileged, with all useless conflicts, but we for sure don't practice slavery.

It was the Italians who reintroduced slavery in somalia in the 20th century, they basically seperated somalis from bantus, when they sought labour for their plantations and targeted the Mushungli bantus (non somali speaking bantus known as "Gosha") and their farms who were outside the somali clan system..

From the accounts of the anthropologist Catherine Besteman;
By 1935, when labor was not forthcoming for the plantations, the new fascist colonial authorities resorted to forced labor.Their target was the ex-slave communities of the Gosha.
Villagers stressed to me how the Italians definitionally seperated the ex-slave population from the Somali population for purposes of conscripting laborers. One Gosha villager imitated the Italians: " I don't accept saying 'I am Bartire', 'I'm Shabeelle,' 'I'm Cawlyahan,' 'I'm Marehan,' It doesn't exist. Your all lying. You all are Mushunguli Mayasid Bantu. You have to participate. The Italians began relocating men and women from their villages to the Italian plantations by force in 1935. Elderly survivors of the kolonya system hold bitter memories of the Italian plantation experience.

The Ajuraan were a prominent Somali clan in the middle valley at this time, the local leader of the Ajuuran named Sooyan, refused to send his people to work for Italians, although he allowed them to serve as soldiers for Italians in any campaign against Ethiopia.
He was later chosen to be the head of the settled Ajuraan in the area. When the system of forced labor began, he refused to allow the Italians to take anyone from the village of Duqiyo, claiming they all came under his authority. It is clear that the system of forced labor and Sooyan's refusal brought many people of the Gosha to affiliate with Ajuraan. As word spread of his refusal, the people of Gosha fled to the Ajuraan settlements.
Before the Italians could take measures to curtail Sooyan's power, World War II had come to Africa.

By 1941 the war in Somalia was over, the British having crushed the Italians in a matter of days. Gosha from middle jubba returned to their villages and their farms, and continued their lives relatively undisturbed by the changing colonial powers claiming control over their country until 1960.

As you can see it's the Italians who've practived slavery long after somalis.

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Africa
Member # 12142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Africa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slavery was more widespread and is still practiced in West Africa and Sudan and not long ago in Ethiopia and Eastern Coast of Africa, but in the latter countries it's over...Africa is big, you can't generalize...
plan2replan Copyright © 2006 Africa

Posts: 711 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephestion
Member # 12836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article was about the USA, it happened in America not Africa.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^This guy is so stuck on stupid. He doesn't even have the capacity to understand anything.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Clearly, Yonis doesn't understand the concept of 'generalisation for simplicity', so I'll make it simpler for him:

I KNOW PLENTY OF NIGERIANS WHO STILL HAVE THESE YOUNG "HOUSE GIRLS" OR "HOUSE BOYS" (EVEN IN THE UK!!!), THEY ARE ESPECIALLY IMPORTED FROM TOGO OR BENIN. THIS REALLY SOUNDS LIKE SLAVERY TO ME, MAYBE THINGS IN AFRICA (excluding Somalia) WON'T CHANGE UNTIL WE LIFT THIS KARMIC BURDEN WE'VE PUT ON OURSELVES...

Feel free to list any other African countries that should go in that 'excluding' list. [Embarrassed]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com