EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Hard to find books!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hard to find books!
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

Does anyone know how to obtain (purchase or borrow) a copy of the book called

Roads and Kingdoms written by Al-Bakri

quote:
Book of Roads and Kingdoms or Book of Highways and Kingdoms (Arabic: كتاب المسالك والممالك‎, Kitāb al-Masālik wa'l-Mamālik) is the name of an eleventh-century geography text by Abu Abdullah al-Bakri. It was written around 1068 in Cordova. Al-Bakri based his work on the accounts of merchants and adventurers such as Yusuf al-Warraq and Abraham ben Jacob. Despite the fact that al-Bakri never left al-Andalus, his writings are regarded as objectively reporting the accounts of other travelers by modern historians, and much of what he wrote is substantiated in other sources. He described a wide array of regions from the Atlantic Ocean to Central Asia, giving descriptions of the geography, people, culture and political situation in each region. The Book of Roads and Kingdoms exists today only in fragmentary form.
Fragmentary form would still be appreciated.

Hotep

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inter-library loan from your local library. Depending where you are located it can sometimes be free or a small fee.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

ausar thanks for the reply, though I would like to know if this book can be bought?
I would rather buy this book if it's possible to get it somewhere, I have seen a french translations though I have not found a English translation of this book anywhere.

Hotep

--------------------
TruthSeeker

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com