EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » E3a in Ireland? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: E3a in Ireland?
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for walklikeanegyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's due to the one drop rule that people like Mariah Carey are identified as black. she's also 1/4 Venezuelan and half Irish, so how is she a "black woman"? most people would agree she doesn't look like what most people would identify as black.

the one drop rule was invented in the days of slavery to separate white people from people who looked white, but with minimal black ancestry. they saw black heritage as dirty blood, in a way.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boqor:
The one drop rule sounds silly like it\'s made to protect white folks from \'nigger blood\'.

LOL Boqor, that is exactly what the 'rule' is for!!!

As Walk says, some whites think it shameful to have black ancestry, so the purpose of the one-drop rule was to segregate "pure" whites from those tainted by African blood.

Posts: 26413 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for walklikeanegyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which is why people like Mariah Carey are seen as black. white people don't accept her as white, even though she is mostly white and looks it, because she has black ancestry.

as i always say, the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
LOL Boqor, that is exactly what the 'rule' is for!!!

As Walk says, some whites think it shameful to have black ancestry, so the purpose of the one-drop rule was to segregate "pure" whites from those tainted by African blood.

Going by that mentality of "purity", it is any wonder that suicide hasn't been the ultimate option for the said advocates, as a way to restrain themselves from facing biological connections with Africans; ~ 99.9% [if not ultimately "all"] of human biological content is inherited from the first modern humans, who were Africans!...rejection of any African biological ties, might as well extend to that "African" inheritance.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread for me. I am part Black but I have never identified myself as a Black person and never thought I needed to based on some American Slave Tradition. Nobody calls me Black or even remotely recognizes me as anything but say Middle Eastern or Mideteranean.

My appearance is not that much different than Jennifer Beals in terms of complexion, hair texture, etc.

-

Should I claim to be Black?

;-)

Actually I have time to time claimed to be Black for political reasons - or just to see if it made any difference.

I remember one time I was going to met a person at a restaurant. I had only had a business relationship over the phone for over a year w/ this person. The person had come to believe I was Black. When I got to the restaurant I waited in the Foyer waiting area and this young Blonde guy came in. He walked right by me and began to look around. I walked by me again and went outside and looked around. Then he finally came in and stood right by me and looked at me and kinda just nodded and then stood around waiting. Finally I asked him if he was looking for me and you should have seen the look on his face. Its actually kinda funny to explain it to him.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is evident that the "one drop rule" was enforced in segregated america, but today is a very different situation. It disturbs me to see the likes of mary lefkowitz using the extreme case of the one drop rule (a very european looking person with some, no matter how little recent african lineage claiming black racial category) to mis-direct and confuse who the ancient egyptians were. In my experiences here in America, I have not seen or know of anywone who uses that extreme one drop rule. Honestly, how common is this? I think its is very rare. For the most part ones who claim it look black or shows obvious traits that one itentifies as black and usually have a grand parent or parent that is black.

??

??

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Stage Darkness:
quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Stage Darkness:
To put it the words of an article I once read online:

"The United States is the only place on earth where a white woman can have a black child but a black woman can't have a white child."

Thought Writes:

This sounds like a rule. Please tell me WHO enforces this rule and keeps the Black mother from recording her child as White if she so pleases?

The one drop "rule" was a law period! If a child was born to a white mother and black father the child was classified as white period, according to the law, a black mother giving birth to a child from a white father could *NOT* and would not be classified as white, its as simple as that, it wasn't up to the black mother to decide because the *LAW* stated any amount of black ancestry made one black. You can't tell me nor pretend that you didn't know this. I grew up in the Deep South where the one drop law/rule was rigidly enforced, though this was before my time, so I know this to be the case. If a person was found to be "passing" as white they would be immediately known and branded as a "nigger". No speculation, just cold hard fact there. A black woman who has a child period, be it born to white, brown, red or yellow man cannot have that child classified as white. The one drop rule was created specifically for this purpose, to keep "blacks" passing as white from having the privileges and social advantages of whites, thats why a child born to a black mother could never be white!

Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
the one drop rule is still present, unfortunately. Mariah Carey is often seen as black.

-

but i don't think she has distinctively African features. do you guys think she looks black and view her as it? she's 1/4 black. a lot of people also think she looks white and identify her as white.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a better example of how un-Black Mariah Carey is:

-

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't she identifies as mixed heritage?

quote:
Originally posted by osirion:

-

Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
she identifies as mixed, and has always said she's 1/4 black, 1/4 Hispanic, and 1/2 Irish. but she doesn't mind extra emphasis on her black heritage. i don't think she looks very black at all actually.
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
 -

she's hardly a black woman.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Don't know what to say, I don't consider myself to be Black so I don't see why someone like Mariah should have to?

Far offtopic thoug: Egyptians were clearly primarily Black as I understand it.

walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
Egyptians today from all parts of Egypt show clearly black African influence, especially in Upper Egypt where many people could pass as Ethiopians or even northern Kenyans, as i see it. so i would say Egypt today has black influence as well (but it's in Africa so it shouldn't be a surprise at all).
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

How precisely is that a better example? [Confused]
Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
i think most pictures of Mariah show that she is mostly non-black, with Irish as her primary heritage. but i don't deny she has black in her.
mali
Member # 7606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats with the pics.. lol..but anyways.. pretty light topic...

whats ironic... dont want to dig into family relations.. but my sister looks quite similar to the miss belse.. skin color wise... dont want to post a pic of her.. but facially has the atypical ethnic somali profile.... and doesnt look mixed... but

walk... "the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice'' altered quite of Mr. Shakur.. isnt quite true...

but i see where ur getting at.. mariah is socially viewed as a black or afro american artist... i think it benefiets her ...market wise....

Posts: 321 | From: t.o | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
i don't know why Mariah is viewed as black when people who i think look more black than her are viewed as white.

are you Somali?

mali
Member # 7606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea... walk...

OT:

but mariah is a entertainer... she has crossover appeal.... marketing wise it benefits her to tap into both and relating to both races... which she has done....

Posts: 321 | From: t.o | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
she identifies as part black, part latina, and part white.
mali
Member # 7606

Rate Member
she has universal appeal.... race probably doesnt matter to her..lol.. just assuming... the dollars shes making.. she can claim every ethnicity....
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, you guys have gone way off with the Mariah thing. Although she is hott.
Posts: 26413 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
:lol: we did talk about Mariah a lot, didn't we?
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought Writes:

OK, I thought if I "beat around the bush" long enough the REAL crux of the matter would dawn (as in the dawn of a new day and light = knowledge) on some of you. It has not! So please allow me to break this down into more digestible terms.

The concept of human 'Races' pre-date modern population genetics. The concept of 'Races' is based upon the psuedo-scientific multiple-origins theory of human evolution. This theory postulated that humans evolved in DISTINCT geographic regions with DISTINCT appearances, bloodlines and psychographic abilities - AKA essences. Modern anthropological thought and genetics indicates that all humans originate from a small population of tropical Africans ~70,000 years ago. The idea that modern humans are DISTINCT from each other phenotypically or genetically (blood) and hence constitute RACES is invalid.

TRENDS in human population affinities can be detected, but these trends, like any data series, fall within a Bell-Shaped Curve when said traits are analyzed. This cluster becomes type when a modal, median or mean series is taken as representative of the whole. Type in turn become stereotype when the statistical generalization is leaped-on by novices. Stereotype becomes Race when novices spread there distorted conceptualizations.

In reality, these variables are not clear-cut. There is White-Space and/or Outliers between and within any given population. Where one population ends and another begins is SUBJECTIVE. Hence, the concept of 'Races' is subjective and cannot be scientifically gauged. Human populations are NOT DISTINCT from one another.

There **WAS** indeed a One-Drop Rule enforced by the dominant society. To continue to speak of a One-Drop Rule in a present tense is either ignorance,stubborness or deceptive. This One-Drop Rule WAS abolished long ago. Under this old rule the children of Black/White offspring were only allowed to be classified as Black because Whiteness was allotted social prestige and privilege. The descendents of said relationships overtime responded by attempting to build-up the Black group that they were slotted into. Over time this value system became imbedded as the One-Drop CHOICE and was a counter to White Supremacy. This was the purpose of this One-Drop CHOICE and this is why this self-classification system continues among most African-Americans after the demise of the One-Drop Rule was abolished. The ultimate aim and purpose of this choice was to deconstruct Racism and hence White Supremacy, NOT to foster the concept of DISTINCT 'Races". What is the aim of those who are advocating for some nebulous Multiracial paradigm on this forum? Whose cause are they advocating......

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
I am simply use to thinking of myself as multiracial. I didn't know that was considered racist in and of itself. Its just a term used to describe someone like me and I don't take it too seriously.

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its just a term used to describe someone like me and I don't take it too seriously.

Thought Writes:

How are we to know when to take you seriously and when not to on this forum?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Its just a term used to describe someone like me and I don't take it too seriously.

Thought Writes:

How are we to know when to take you seriously and when not to on this forum?

If you are not sure just ask. This forum is also about entertainment; atleast to me some of it is entertaining.

Especially the chic pics.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
If you are not sure just ask. This forum is also about entertainment; atleast to me some of it is entertaining.

Thought Writes:

Certainly learning can be entertaining. But there is no value-added when others assume you are making a serious post and in reality you are simply "Jaw-Jacking". This indicates that we should take most of what you say with a grain of salt, no?

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Thought Writes:

Certainly learning can be entertaining. But there is no value-added when others assume you are making a serious post and in reality you are simply "Jaw-Jacking". This indicates that we should take most of what you say with a grain of salt, no?

I am a layman like the rest of everyone else here.

My opinion is worth what you make of it and nothing more.

Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Quincy Jones
 -

-

Peggy Lipton(Quincy's ex-wife and mother of daughters)
 -

Kidada Jones(Their daughter)
 -

Rashida Jones (Their other daughter)
 -

Interesting story behind how they got along and how each girll defined themself. Kidada identifies more with "black culture" while Rashida identifies more with her "jewish" religious culture.

walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
it's amazing, because usually when someone is half black and half something else, they get at least one prominent feature from their black side. i have two cousins (actually i have more), but they are both half Puerto Rican and half Egyptian American. one of the cousins (Taya) looks totally black and identifies as such. but her sister Nathalia doesn't look black, and she identifies as a latina.
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
OMG i just remembered something that totally slipped my mind. Rashida is an Egyptian name, meaning "righteous".
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com