EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Black Land/soil nonsense put to bed... no pun intended! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Black Land/soil nonsense put to bed... no pun intended!
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AncientGebts   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newt

-

This word doesn't necessarily mean "urban", but does refer to places related to income...
  • nway (ንዋይ) money, capital (n.) (Amarigna)
As the Tigrigna -t ending can indicate plural and feminine (possibly because babies come out of females), in this case the plural form of nway would be newyat.
Posts: 751 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AncientGebts   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Land

-

This word is the Tigrigna word, adi...

• A'di (ዓዲ) country, village, home (n.) (Tigrigna)

Posts: 751 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
White Land

-

No, ta hetch does not refer to "white land". As the hieroglyph below shows, it is referring to "white bread"...

-

In this case, the T/D hieroglyph is the word for "bread", dabo, and the word hetcha is the word "white"...
  • dabo (ዳቦ) bread (n.) (Amarigna)
  • heCH'a (ሀጫ) white (n./adj.) (Amarigna)

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Of

-

Yes, he is correct that the word in-between means "of"...
  • nay (ናይ) of (adj.) (Tigrigna)

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
So far...

So far, it is impossible for Kemet to mean "black", and therefore cannot mean "black land" nor "black people", even though he attempts to make dabo hecha to mean "white land" (in order to imply the Ancient Egyptians referred to their soil in term of color), which it does not.

Look at it this way, even if his notion is that Kemet is supposed to mean "black people", then why didn't he say dabo hecha means "white people"? So he's not making sense at all. At least he should be consistent.

Plus, suggesting the hieroglyph he refers to means, "charcoal", as some kind of proof that Kem means "black" and therefore refers to "black people", plays into the ridiculous lie that in ancient Greek the word Ethiopia means people with "burnt faces", which is also does not.

Additionally, all Africans are not black in color, in addition to the fact that when you shine a bright light onto the skin of many who appear to be of a black color, you see they are actually brown. So then, why would brown people refer to themselves as black? Makes no sense.

In his part 2, I hope he'll bring up the so-called "red land", so that I can address the so-called word, "red", which does not actually mean "red".

Here's his part 2...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUHGcW8L7E

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Tisha

"Deshret, from Ancient Egyptian, was the formal name for the Red Crown of Lower Egypt. The Egyptian pharaohs... wore the deshret to symbolize their authority over Lower Egypt."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deshret

"Neith... a borrowing of the Demotic form Ancient Egyptian: nt, likely originally nrt", acccording to the Wikipedia article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neith ), her name was Mirtnesh (ምርት ነሽ) and means "you are harvest"...

-

Below we see Queen Mirtnesh. She was the original founder and queen of the Yafo/Dead Sea large-scale farming region of Lower Egypt. Below we can see her wearing the red crown...

-

The crown is actually the shape of a red grain floret awn, as we see below...

-

As she was a farmer as well as a rancher, with sound change, the [T] pronunciation in her name interchanged with the [D] pronunciation to become, Marednesh, from the word mared (ማረድ) to kill, to slaughter...

-

So, the Egyptologist-transliterated word, Deshret does not mean "red". We can see the hieroglyph for Tisha below...

-

We can see the reference to the word Tisha in the Rosetta Stone. In the 196BC passage, the ancient Greeks were complaining that the Egyptian military guarding the Tisha farms were rebelling and refusing to leave their guard posts there, which prevented the ancient Greeks from plundering the Tisha farms...

-

We can see the word Tisha in hieroglyphs below, a word that means countryside...

-

For more, you can download the PDF of my Amazon book "The Women Who Invented Writing and Ancient Egyptian Civilization" for free...
http://files.ancientgebts.org/The_Women_Who_Invented_Writing_and_Ancient_Egyptian_Civilization.pdf

Therefore, since the Egyptologist-transliterated word, Deshret does not mean "red" and in fact is Tisha/"bush,countryside", it does not refer to either the color of land, and so does not mean Red Land. And, likewise, does not mean red people, either.

This eliminates any correlation to the idea Kemet referring to either black land or people, since there is no such white land nor red land.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are entitled to your opinion.

I don't retranslate.

I translate directly from primary sources
as much as possible when available to me
and use standard lexicons and dictionaries
and thus stand on the accuracy of my
translation only per the language the
people producing a document spoke
in day to day life.

They wrote exactly what they meant
without reference to languages from
elsewhere, period.

I haven't responded negatively to your retranslations
Afford my translation the same due respect, thank you.

I don't retranslate Shakespeare based on
Germanic French Latin or Greek meanings
of similarly spelled words. AEL was written
long before any anachronistic comparative
lect which similarities are logged in every
scholastic lexicon. And black scholars have
in print examined lexemes of their languages
to AEL ones like you who has produced it for
Ethiopian Semitic languages -- as there are
plenty Cushitic Omotic Nilotic native speakers.

The archive has posts on apparently 'proto-Oromo'

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=009123#000018
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007406

architects UahKa family founding or included in
several dynasties. As good an AE related Ethiopian
ethnic group as any, and afaik, less if at all effected
by cross the Red Sea migrant women 3000 years
gone. Personally I think the shores of Red Sea/Aden
were just two sides of a Two Shore Empire Habesh
founded more than 3000 yrs ago. Perhaps it was
just an upswing in Yemen to Itiopi ongoing travel
(not migration). Both claim Maqeda/Bilqis as their
very own greatest queen after all.

If only legendary she still attests to a Two Shore Empire
in the popular 'Itiopi-Yamani' mind. True, no strong argument, that.

Sound exchange is nothing new  -

Consider lip produced sound exchanges.

* pail
* bail
* mail
* wail

* fail
* veil

are not interchangeable in meaning though
Volkswagen and FolksWagon have v/f and e/o
correspondences German to English with
meaning intact. It doesn't change into
a different word of imprecise correlation.

I'm not about to enter into debate with anyone
A master at debate could successfully argue
me down that water isn't wet but in a level
discussion that premise is stillborn regardless
non-liquid fluids vapor steam or the solid ice.

I wish you well with your endeavors. However,
your work does not correct mine or the scholars
unnamed who considered and agreed with it.

To each his own.

km/kmt = black as primary definition.
Like most words it has secondary and
even tertiary meanings in AEL, ditto
dSrt. km perfectly describes black
people depended on Itiopi source
Black Nile black inundation silt
be they in Kush Sudan or Ta Meri Egypt.

Likewise niwt. A place where people have
settled and improved the land or also a
"community" will always be its most used
meanings. Seemingly to the extent niwt
suffixed places rep Egyptian domains in
contradistinction to xAst mostly for
foreign placenames.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
To each his own.

I agree.
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
However,
your work does not correct mine or the scholars
unnamed who considered and agreed with it.

Just for the record, I hadn't read anybody's posts, except the initial post of the video by Narmer Menes. So, I was only commenting on the information provided by the host of "Truth and Lies," based upon his specific arguments.

My issue was the host of "Truth and Lies" attempted to show there was some pattern of the ancient Egyptian calling their land different colors. And he presented his evidence of that with "white land" when it turns out that was really "white bread."

But then, he said it was not the land that was described in terms of color, but the people. And later, he did not correct his implication that "white land" then would have been "white people."

He was very selective in which definitions he changed for his argument.

I'm well aware of the concept that Kemet is supposed to refer to either "Black Land" or "Black People." I just don't have an opinion, which is why I personally never published anything on it between my 23 books. I won't publish anything until I'm 99.9% sure.

But the host cannot make erroneous claims based on evidence that doesn't exist. Therefore, I wasn't arguing against anything you or anyone else posted, since I never read anyone's posts in this topic yet, except the original post featuring the link to the video.

Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have discussed in Aaluja Vol. II (2020: 316-320), 1) the ancient Egyptian language is built from monosyllabic CV roots (which nullifies the argument that Egyptian is Amharic or Tigrinya), and 2) the word dSr.t refers to a type of barren land: a land without water and vegetation.

The word dSr.t is built off a √S root, with a d- prefix, and -r and -t suffixes. This √S root has to deal with "deprivation" and "emptiness." To demonstrate that d- is a prefix, we observe, for example:

Sr "threaten"
d.Sr "angry"
d.Sr.w "wrath"

The d- prefix is a nominalizer on the verb. The root √S, dealing with barrenness and emptiness can be seen in the following:

Sw "emptiness, absence"
Sw "be empty, be lacking, be devoid (of), be missing (from), to be vacant, unload (ship)"
s.Sw.j "make empty"
Sw.t "empty sheet of papyrus"
tp Sw "ruin, neglect, decay"

Other variants of the word has the -w suffix prefixed. For example:

wS "to be empty of; to be destroyed"
wS "(vacant) place; space; interruption"

The concept of being "empty" and "barren" leads to words meaning "poverty." We observe:

Sw "needy man, poor man"
Sw.A "to be poor" [-A verbal suffix]
Sw.A "to become impoverished"
Sw.A.w "poverty" [-w suffix of abstraction]
Sw.A.t "impoverishment"

These terms apply to words dealing with "dryness" as can be seen from the following:

Sw "dry, dried; drought"
Sw.jt "wasteland, desert"
Sw.w "dry land; dry pieces of wood"
Sw.yt "a dry place"
SwSy.t "dryness; drought"
Sw.yt "dry spot
s.Sw.j "make dry"
Sw.yw "dry grass, hay; rushes"

Egyptian also has a -r verbal suffix as well as a -r nominal suffix. The verbal suffix is present in the word Sr "to stop, to block up" and is related to ciLuba-Bantu shawula "stunted, to degenerate, to diminish, prevent the growth or development" > di.shala "to remain behind, be underdeveloped." This is what underlies the word dSr.t "desert." It is a place where the growth of life has been halted, stunted. When the S-r root is prefixed with d- in Egyptian, we get the following:

d.Sr "impurity, dirt"
d.Sr.t "fire, flame"
d.Sr.t "desert, foreign country"

We know that d- is a prefix because the same root also has reflexes with the w- prefix. We observe the following:

w.Sr "dry; wither; absence; lacking; be bald"
w.Sr "to dry; to parch"
w.Sr "to be absent; to lack"
w.Sr "dry land; dry area"
w.Sr.t "dry land"

The words wSr/wSr.t and dSr.t are variations on the same theme and root: i.e., S-r. The theme is "absence of water, life, and vegetation." A dSr.t is defined by its LACK of life sustaining resources. The cognate in ciLuba-Bantu is di.Shila "being burnt, desertification" ~ di.shil "parched land." Notice in Egyptian that the -w in Sw "dry land, drought" is replaced with -r in w.Sr "dry land, dry area; to dry, to parch." Notice the correlation between "empty" and "dry" as evident by the words sSw.j "make dry" and sSw.j "make empty." A desert is a land that is "dry" and "empty."

This root has nothing to do with being "red" and the dichotomy between km.t and dSr.t has to do with presence of [+WATER][+VEGETATION] and the absence of [-WATER][-VEGETATION], respectively.

As always, these debates go on forever because people do not want to study the language in depth. There is no "black" vs. "red" land dichotomy. Only the presence of "water" vs. the absence of "water." This is why 99% of all the forms of the word Km.t have classifiers depicting WATER in the form of irrigation canals. When we learn the language, and quit trying to make it Semitic, we learn a lot. Good day people.

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Narmer Menes:
The video also dispels the Nubian Myth by explaining that Egypt was a term used ONLY to describe the Delta region of Kemet, occupied by the Greeks. Kemet referred to the entire region of Egypt/Nubia and there is NO notable distinction used exclusively for the region that we now call Egypt.

In the Rosetta Stone, the ancient Greeks referred to Egypt with 4 different names and in different contexts.

Below are four instances of Kemet using two different hieroglyphs...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -
 -

-

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Below are references to Ta Mer-t. Unlike the refences to Kemet, these all use the same hieroglyphic reference...
 -
 -
 -

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Finally, below are the references to Egypt as Baq-t, also like Kemet using two different versions of the hieroglyphic reference...
 -
 -
 -
 -

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
What strikes me is the difference between the hieroglyphic references to Kemet and Baq-t...

• Kemet: has what appears to be a river bank in the hieroglyph, which I would think refers to Upper Egypt (south Egypt), where the markets primarily were in the Nile Valley
  • Baq-t: has what appears to be a farming region or Lower Egypt (north Egypt), where the fighting was occurring over control of the Tisha Yafo/Dead Sea region that included today's Jordan, Israel and possibly Syria (i.e., "Avenger of Baq-t")

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
In terms of Ta Mer-t, the reference to the "Egyptian month of Mekheir", it is obvious this is a reference to all of Egypt, Upper and Lower, since both obviously share a single month.
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
In terms of whether all of Egypt was Kemet, as Ta Mer-t appears to have been, we have a reference that includes Kemet...

"And he hath made provision that forces of cavalry and infantry, and ships also, should be dispatched against those who were about to invade Kemet, both by sea and land, incurring great expenditure in money and grain so that the temples and all who were in the country might be in a state of security."

This sentence leads me to believe that Kemet was the Nile Valley, possibly including the Nile Delta. I think this because it was the ancient Greeks in the Delta and Nile Valley who needed security.

Soldiers were guarding the Tisha Lower Egyptian region of the Yafo, Dead Sea region, so it was sicure. And I don't believe the Egyptian military guarding the Tisha had any reason to leave it to attack the ancient Greeks in the Nile Valley/Delta, since leaving the Tisha would leave the Tisha/Yafo, Dead Sea farming region vulnerable to ancient Greek military attack.

So, I really think the so-called invasion threat was a lie and part of the propaganda of the ancient Greeks, written to make the ancient Egyptians believe the ancient Greeks were there to protect them.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Maybe somebody else here has a different analysis from mine.

These are the only references to Egypt by any name in the Rosetta Stone.

And one hieroglyphic reference to Kemet does not use the charcoal...

-

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Panapolis/Akhmim

-

-

"Akhmim (Arabic: أخميم‎, pronounced [ʔæxˈmiːm]; Akhmimic Coptic: ⳉⲙⲓⲙ, pronounced [xmiːm]; Sahidic/Bohairic Coptic: ϣⲙⲓⲛ pronounced [ʃmiːn]) is a city in the Sohag Governorate of Upper Egypt. Referred to by the ancient Greeks as Khemmis or Chemmis (Ancient Greek: Χέμμις) and Panopolis (Ancient Greek: Πανὸς πόλις), it is located on the east bank of the Nile, four miles (6.4 km) to the northeast of Sohag."

Akhmim was known in Ancient Egypt as Ipu, Apu (according to Brugsch the name is related to the nearby village of Kafr Abou) or Khent-min. It was the capital of the ninth (Chemmite) nome of Upper Egypt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhmim

Could A-kem-im = Kem-t?[/b]

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:
the word dSr.t refers to a type of barren land: a land without water and vegetation.

The word Tisha means "bush" and as a region, "the bush" or "countryside."
  • T'sha (ጥሻ) bush, shrub (n.) (Amarigna)
It refers to the Yafo, Dead Sea region of Lower Egypt, which is desert littered with almost nothing other than bushes. You can see it in the photo below...

-
Mosada, Negev Desert, Israel

This photo from Mosada in the Israel Negev Desert shows it does have vegetation -- bushes/shrubbery. Prior to ancient Egyptians farming in the areas surrounding the Dead Sea, all there was were bushes/shrubbery like these shown in the photo.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
The color of the red crown is red because the crown represents the shape of a red grain floret awn. But the name of the red crown has nothing to do with color. The ancient Egyptians did not call it "red crown", Egyptologists do.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com