EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Working my way back... (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Working my way back...
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
To theGaul

You have not presented, nor is there, evidence the
Fulani people are historic migrants from East Africa
in general and ancient Egypt in particular.

That all people originate from East Africa in very
remote times is a given.

What we do have thus far:

• PMS style rantings of non-black, non-African, just simply a "non" that calls itself "Explorer", aka the "Def" one aside, there is no confirmed origin point to date of Fulani language (Halpulaar/Fulfuulde), and the classification of the "Atlantic branch" in Niger-Congo still SPECULATIVE to this date on whether it needs a new tree or should stand alone. Just as Ijoid, Dogon, and Kru in their current sub-classifications, and Songhai (Djerma/Zarma) in Nilo-Saharan. New classifications have been suggested in the past(by non-Africans), such as "Western South Central Niger-Congo" WSCNC ... [Roll Eyes]

• Along those same lines, the noun classes between the so-called "Atlantic" branch of Niger Congo and the Talodi, Laro, and Heiban of the Kordofanian branch (spoken in PRESENT DAY Sudan/Noba Hills) are shared . This is not the case with any other language under the Niger-Congo tree. Why the commonalities with languages spoken in/near the Noba Hills of Sudan of all places? Curious.

• The certain ma'at head feather and tunic displayed on AE temple walls eerily recall that of those worn by Woodaabi in Niger, to which Diop calls the "peul" type.

• The similarities between AE glyphs/Mdu Ntr provided by Diop, compared to Wolof words, which is related to Halpulaar, has not been proven false, nor has remotely been refuted, and hardly even addressed in this thread.

• The "Fishing God" cave paintings in Tassili, discovered by Budge, et al., and consequesntly discovered on AE temple walls in dynastic Egypt, whether related to present day Fulani or not (though, according to Ba, Fulani were present in Tassili), has not yet been proven a fraud, therefore, an obvious connection and cannot yet be disregarded as "non proto-Fulani".

The above is in addition to the nearly 463 pages of work in De L'origine egyptienne Des Peuls by Fulani scholar Aboubacry Moussa Lam that has yet to be dissected and disseminated in this thread, to which HE directly links Fulani to the Nile Valley, and the multitude of Fulani and Wolof who give credence and belief in this work, even the Heli Yoyo tradition within Fulnai culture itself, to which some attribute to the Nile Valley.

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alain Anselin and Lydia Homburger using linguistics allow us to date the relationship between Egyptians and Peul. The linguistic evidence indicates that by the 12th Dynasty the Peul and Egyptians were in intimate contact.

References:

Alain Anselin, La Question Peul, (Paris: Karthala, 1981) pp.18-19.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King

Never defer to anyone because of their ethnicity.
Birth or adoption into an ethnic group does not
imbue one with all knowledge pertaining to that
group.

I find truth to be subjective and very much pending
on belief. Facts are objective and stand regardless
of any beliefs.

So rather than right or wrong (truthful) we want to
know if a statement is correct or incorrect (factual).

As for Jamtan, one poster used it and another, following
suit, sweared by it. I pointed out that the one poster
misused Jamtan to suit his own idealogy
and after that
I continued to refer to it because the other poster
wanted evidence from so-called Fulani sources.

Since then I've uncovered that the information at
Jamtan is very little original material and overwhelmingly
citations of non-Fulani writers' works. In the case
where those writers are credited I see Jamtan making
available in one handy location a plethora of documents.
On the otherhand where Jamtan does not name a writer,
even when I can find the writer that Jamtan is s taking
their material from, I see it as a direct statement
of the view of the Jamtan owner(s)/staff.

Guidance

quote:
Originally posted by KING:
alTakruri

I defer to you because these are your people, So you know better then most how nomadic is the Fulani people. It am not trying to get people upset over these views, I just would rather read defintive proof of this. My mind can be easily changed when it's dealing with Truth.

Peace

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't make yourself look silly tacking **** eating
grins to statements on serious subject matter, it further
takes away from your credibility.

It's a well known fact that Fulani migration from the
far west of Africa to central and eastern Africa occured
in the last 600 years at most. Only a fool would dispute
that well documented fact.

As for Wolof, I find the semblances it has with Phaoronic
Egyptian language to be indisputably factual. A fact that
calls Greenberg's treeing of African languages into
some serious question.

However I find no, and have not yet seen presented here,
the slightest shred of evidence of mass migration from
historic dynastic Egypt to account for the similarity in
language.

Where in the AE records are the actual names of any
West African ethny purportedly originating in KM.t?

I do find on record that the Romitu disliked non-Tawi
locales and did not want to reside in them much less
permanently migrate enmasse to settle in them. Thus
we have no record of AE migrations or settler colonies.
Colchis being the only exception, accidentily growing
out of a military outpost of soldiers unaccompanied by
women and thus not an intentional pre-planned migration.

quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
quote:
To theGaul

You have not presented, nor is there, evidence the
Fulani people are historic migrants from East Africa
in general and ancient Egypt in particular.

That all people originate from East Africa in very
remote times is a given.

...and you have not presented evidence that the Fulani are NOT historic migrants from eastern Africa or that there is evidence that they were NOT components of the population of ancient Kemet!

Your mistaken leap...from the pan into the fire.
It seems to me, you would have had a greater chance of denying the historical migrations of certain African peoples had you stayed with the Wolof; they exist primarily today in Senegal - rather you've chosen the Fulani who occupy an area in Africa that is practically twice as wide as the United States! The Fulani, all the way from Senegal to Somalia!... [Big Grin]

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I haven't looked much into it but it seems the most
plausible that 'Tekruri' communities of Fulani to the
east of Chad derive mostly from Camerounians who
went on hajj and never returned. Their descendants
would have radiated throughout East Africa and the
Arabian peninsula.

There appears to be nrY DNA evidence in support.
Hassan, Underhill, Cavalli-Sforza, & Ibrahim (2008)

quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
quote:

OK King

The links are fixed now. Jamtan is
the source for 'Teckruri' in Somalia.

How far is it from Eritrea to the
Somali Peninsula? 40 miles maybe?

Guidance

I can imagine a possible presence in Eritrea, as being part of the same dispersal that resulted in the Fula ending up in Sudan, but still for clarity, certain questions come to mind.

The group invoked in the link, what are the specific traits -- grammar & lexical -- that confirm their language to be Fula?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
We have rock art in SE Algeria dating 2KY before
12 dynasty Egypt depicting current Fulani cultural
traits. Nor does intimate contact presuppose derivation.

Nonetheless I am interested in the quote. Could
you please so kindly provide it, thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
Alain Anselin and Lydia Homburger using linguistics allow us to date the relationship between Egyptians and Peul. The linguistic evidence indicates that by the 12th Dynasty the Peul and Egyptians were in intimate contact.

References:

Alain Anselin, La Question Peul, (Paris: Karthala, 1981) pp.18-19.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that didn't read the link when first posted, more evidence from the Tassili area (including Sefar), which apparently included settlements over a period of time, in different areas, not all during the LSA or some distant time before Dynastic Egypt, some of which overlapping pre-DE:

quote:
The true highlight, however, was Sefar. Little is written about the city. Lhote does not provide many details, except a map, showing its extent, as well as the presence of several streets and avenues, tumuli, tombs and something that he calls the “esplanade of the Great Fishing God”. Lhote named the character as he seemed to be carrying fish. But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy”? It was a pose that was used by the Pharaohs to display their mastery over the forces of chaos .
quote:
The “Great Fishing God” of Sefar is thus potential evidence that there is indeed a link between Egypt and the Tassili. Some of the rock paintings also show boats, such as at Sefar and Aouanrhet. These depictions are very similar if not identical to what was discovered by the likes of Toby Wilkinson in similar sites and similar rock paintings in the region between the Nile and the Red Sea. He dated these paintings to the 5th millennium BC, which overlaps with the paintings of the Tassili. Like the Tassili, the desert area where Wilkinson uncovered these paintings was then verdant grassland. Like the Tassili, these Egyptian paintings are a complex mixture of motifs, depicting crocodiles, hippos and boats from the Nile alongside ostriches and giraffes from the savannah, and suffused with cattle imagery and the religious symbolism that would characterize classical Egyptian art . This should by now sound familiar... For Wilkinson, these rock paintings show that pre-Pharaonic Egyptians were not settled flood-plain farmers, but semi-nomadic herders who drove their cattle in between the lush riverbanks and the drier grasslands
quote:
For a “semi-nomadic people”, it is by no means a long stretch of the imagination to argue that they trekked throughout the savannah, from east to west and backwards . And thus, in Pre-dynastic Egypt, Egypt and the Tassili were more than likely “one” . So there is an Egyptian connection, but rather than arguing for a connection around 1200 BC, based on the fake paintings Lhote fell for, the connection can actually be found in predynastic Egypt .
quote:
Both Wilkinson and Zitman argue for a radical reinterpretation of the origins of ancient Egypt. For Wilkinson, the rock paintings in southern Egypt provide proof that it is there that we should look for the “Genesis of the Pharaohs” (the title of his book). For Zitman, the origin of ancient Egypt can be found in a culture and area that stretches into the Tassili, where there is the pose painted on a cliff face in Sefar that would later adorn the front walls of several Egyptian temples . And that cannot be a coincidence. Furthermore, it also coincides with what Lhote wrote: “The most common profile suggested that of Ethiopians, and it was almost certainly from the east that these great waves of pastoralist immigrants came who invaded not only the Tassili but much of the Sahara.”
The fake paintings, according to this, was not done by Lohte, but as a prank on him by one of his team members, for which was revealed and since has been removed.

As for acquiring Lam's book, seems it going to take some overseas connections, time, and money.

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the Egyptian origin of Fulani
A book of Aboubacry Moussa Lam
€ 29.00!
(only 29 Euros in France! That's only $41.11 and Amazon wants what??)

-

Explorers, colonial and Africanist of all persuasions have been much discussed on the Fulani. The strange object was a long walk between Annam and Canada by the most eccentric, the Nile Valley and the Sahara with the most serious. Jewish, Bohemian, the Fulani Lascar ... Its geographic and ethnic origins have a passion for the most credible experts to simple amateurs of exoticism. .

Yet the relationship of filiation established by the enigmatic Fut / Ful and Cham by various Judeo-Christian, was an indication of the Egyptian origin of Fulani.

Using data mainly Egyptology and ethnography, this work confirms, on the basis of consistent and accurate result, the veracity of the theory of Nilotic origin (specifically Egyptian) of the Fulani. It also illuminates a new light the problem of membership of the Pulaar and the relations between both controversial and Fulbe Haal-Pulaar it.

another translated French page on the Fulani origins

http://mauritanie2007.unblog.fr/lorigine-des-peulhs/

The origin of the Fulani people raised against many verses, many scholars of the colonial period they wanted to believe in non-African origin of this people. Thus, for them, Peuls could be causing the white Semites came civilize Africa. There are also fanciful theories, those of: Lelièvre: the Fulani who were descendants of the Gauls' Captain Figeac: Who were the Peuls Pelasgi. M. Delafosse, for whom the Jewish Peuls were Syrians. (Was not the first to think so, you can also cited: Winterbottom, Matthews, Grimal of Guiraudon ..), thesis to be considered as a novel by Tauxier in its book history and M'urs Peuls "Cheikh Anta Diop for the Egyptian origin of the Fulani is no doubt. By their name and totemic Ka Bah and matriarchy, the Peuls show their connection to Egypt. Many Pharaohs would come from the people born of interbreeding with foreigners from the Delta and official contacts of the eighteenth and nineteenth dynasties with foreign (white Semites). Thus, according to him, "the grandfather of Ramses II, Ramses I, was a tank officer descendant of freed foreign Delta ( ') co-opted by Horemheb to succeed him on the throne of Egypt. Seti I, his son, had married a princess of royal blood to legitimize his power and to gain acceptance of the people, associations early in power who played Rameses II legitimacy through his mother 'Sethi I and Ramses II officially represent this type Fulani. The nomadic Fulani of sporadic only a relatively recent phenomenon, dating back to the breakup of the Egyptian Old Kingdom and the breakup of his aristocracy by Cambyses. To return to matriarchy Fulani, it was before the Islamization of the people at the base of the social system, women are central to any affiliation (donation, disease, etc.). As for the former Egyptian inherits not one of his father, but his maternal uncle. If for a long time many researchers viewed this matriarchy as an anomaly, we find from the work of Cheikh Anta Diop and ethnologist Marguerite Dupire, because through the links they forged between the Fulani and the ancient Egyptians.
quote:

"Insofar as the Fulani are of Egyptian origin, they were African sedentary farmers practicing and matriarchy. Following the breakup of the ancient Egyptian society (loss of sovereignty) they had to emigrate rather late with their herds of cattle. By force of circumstances, they would be gone from sedentary life to nomadic life. But while we understand the matriarchy of the first time continues to address social relations, especially since it is probably unfair to talk of an absolute nomadic Fulani. In fact, it is semi-nomadic. "(See: Cheikh Anta Diop: The Cultural Unity of Black Africa.)

Today, despite a strong presence of Islam among the Fulani, there are still confirming affiliation uterine negro membership of the African people.

We can therefore say that the Fulani would be Negroes who are mixed with white elements from abroad, in an Egyptian black population, there is also a linguistic link between the ancient Egyptian and Pulaar: Ankh magazine N ° 12 / 13 tells us: the language of the pharaohs of Egypt is reflected in the titles and names Peuls: Fari, Labbe, Gata. Terminology land of Egypt (= datt State Farm = rmnyt) retains the same meaning in contemporary Pulaar. The hieroglyphic signs y and X d3tt complete up to prove that the Egyptian state was agrarian and urban 'The agricultural implements used by the Fulani (hoe, big and small, ax, fork) also have an Egyptian origin. One could say the same tools of fishing, hunting, pastoral sticks, etc.. ; Clothing is no exception: the clothes and hairstyles in their diversity are among the Fulani before islamization. "

Some proverbs and maxims Peuls:

Ko bi Yumma vi'atma hunukoma lubi Ina - This is the son of your mother tell you that your mouth stinks (only a true friend of your t'avertira defects)

Ina yitere Yaha Yaha do Yida do, so do koi gal Yahata Yida, 'Abad. - The eye goes where it does not, but the foot does not go where it does not, never. (si je ne t'aime pas, I will see you when I meet you, but I do not come with you)

Ber "Wana hôfûru saka Höfe - The heart is not a knee to be bent

Fayia, Fodi, ko Heire fali - fat, thin, no matter at heart?

Gido KB Dattu Yida Yidi, ngasabu its dum yo Dattu vil Yidi ko, ko jidno Yida, 'Let Ayma-loving one who loves what he likes, because if you told him as he leaves what he loves he loves what he loved, and you will hate.

In conclusion the origin of the Fulani is linked to Egypt, they were not white, but black in color, language, and culture.

-

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnic names in the Mdu Ntr

Tutsi
Tutsi "the assembled gods"; "all of them (gods)"

Akan
Akan - the name of a god
Akaniu - a class of gods like Osiris

Fante
Fante - "he of the nose" - a name of Thoth - one of the 42 judges in the Hall of Osiris ("Shante" in modern Egyptian)

Hausa
Hosa - a singing god

Yoruba
Ourbaiu - great of souls, a title of gods or kings
Ouruba - Great God of soul

The permutations of names of such folks as the Wolof or the Fulani are so many, that it requires the effort of those who speak the language, to properly interpret the names -ie, Djoloff, Oulof, etc. and then look for their meanings in Budge's dictionary...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Tutsi

Akan
Akan - the name of a god

Fante
Fante - "he of the nose" - a name of Thoth - one of the 42 judges in the Hall of Osiris ("Shante" in modern Egyptian)

Hausa
Hosa - a singing god

Yoruba

The permutations of names of such folks as the Wolof or the Fulani are so many, that it requires the effort of those who speak the language, to properly interpret the names -ie, Djoloff, Oulof, etc. and then look for their meanings in Budge's dictionary...

Wally were nomes associated with these gods?

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Wally were nomes associated with these gods?

That's a very intriguing question. It appears to me that these gods and the terms relating to them are generic, with the possible exceptions of "Fante" and "Akan" who appear to be associated with Thoth and Osiris;

The nomes represented by these gods were:

Abdu (Abydos) - 8th nome of Upper Egypt - Osiris
Won/Ouon - 15th nome of Upper Egypt - Thoth

Ati - 9th nome of Lower Egypt - Busiris - "Osiris' place"
Djehut - 15th nome of Lower Egypt - Thoth

Osiris is the Ancestor-Father of the Kememou - he was an Anu born in Denderah, UE
Isis is the Ancestor-Mother of the Kememou - she was an Anu born in Denderah, UE
Thoth (Thoout) is the Father of the Mdu Ntr - he was also an Anu

From Amélineau:
quote:

These Anu were agricultural people, raising cattle on a large scale along the Nile, shutting themselves up in walled cities for defensive purposes. To this people we can attribute, without fear of error, the most ancient Egyptian books, The Book of the Dead and the Texts of the Pyramids, consequently, all the myths or religious teachings. I would add almost all the philosophical systems then known and still called Egyptian. They evidently knew the crafts necessary for any civilization and were familiar with the tools those trades required. They knew how to use metals, at least elementary metals. They made the earliest attempts at writing, for the whole Egyptian tradition attributes this art to Thoth, the great Hermes an Anu like Osiris, who is called Onian in Chapter XV of The Book of the Dead and in the Texts of the Pyramids. Certainly the people already knew the principal arts; it left proof of this in the architecture of the tombs at Abydos, especially the tomb of Osiris and in those sepulchers objects have been found bearing unmistakable stamp of their origin, such as carved ivory, or a little head of a Nubian girl found in a tomb near that of Osiris, or the small wooden or ivory receptacles in the form of a feline head--all documents published in the first volumn of my Fouilles d'Abydos.

From the Mdu Ntr

Anu the city of Heliopolis (Coptic; On)
Anu Meh Anu of the north (Heliopolis)
Anu Shemo Anu of the south (Hermonthis/Ermant)
Anu Monti Anu of Hermonthis
Anu Tem the Anu of Tem (Hermonthis)
Anu Re the Anu of Re
Afdu Ikhu the Four Ancestors (of the Anu)
Ugrit Goddess of the Duat of Anu
Djandjané Anu the Anu Court of Judges: Tem; Shu; Tefnut; Osiris; Thoth
Anu n Ptoh the Anu of Ptah (Denderah)
Anu n Nut the Anu of Nut (Denderah)

Denderah

Judging by the sheer number of given titles, the most venerated city of Kemet was not Thebes, but Denderah. After all, this was the city where the Parents (Isis and Osiris) of Kemet Nu were born. (It is also in the same neighborhood as Naqada). Here are some of the titles of this city:
"The birthplace of Isis"
"The Throne of the Queen"
"The perfect throne in the Holy of Holies"
"The place of joy"
"The thrones of Horus"
"The holy temple of Horus"
"The throne of eternity"
"The throne of the drink"
"The birthplace of Nut"
"The Golden House"
"The Sanctuary of Osiris"
"The Sanctuary of Re"
"The city of the knowing of Isis"
"The temple of life"
"The temple of Hathor"
"The eternal house"
"The exalted temple"
"The holy temple of Horus of the Two-Lands"
"The house of knowledge" (per Rekhit)

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Wally thanks for the info.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:

Tutsi

Akan
Akan - the name of a god

Fante

Hausa
Hosa - a singing god

Yoruba

Serer
Serer - "he who fixes the limits of the temples"
King Amenemhet-Serer

Lebou (The Lebou are primarily a fishing community; living on the Cap-Vert peninsula; speak Wolof.)
Lebou - "people who live by the river bank"; ie, fishermen

Benin
Benen - a virile god of copulation & regeneration; a form of Menu
>>>>>>>>> Oba - "Captain, Director"
a) Oba n Benen
b) Oba of Benin

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Since the rock art definitely associated with
Fulani culture is in fact from the LSA any
corespondance with ancient Egypt is precluded.

Harping on one piece from Sefar is disengenius
as that piece is not indicative of Fulani culture
and so bears no relevance to Fulani origins in KM.t

I would remind once again that SE Algeria is not
Egypt. Nothing that was bolded in the post I now
respond to shows a date contemporaneous to Ancient
Egypt nor transposition from the Nile Valley to the
Tassili massif.

The supplied quotes, if anything, tend to show quite
the reverse, that the Tassili preceded Ancient Egypt
and the smiter motif first appeared in Sefar before
later showing up in Egypt.

This is consistent with what we know of the middle
and lower Nile Valley absorbing immigrants from the
drying Green Sahara as well as those moving downstream
from Sudan.

Instead of grasping for straws that make not even
a weak case for demic transfer from the Nile
Valley to SE Algeria (or where ever) in historic
times, please succinctly propose an exact date
and precise place of origin for your Fulani in
Egypt.

Without clarifying date place and route there's
no reason to continue this discussion because no
conclusion can be drawn from "anything goes evidence."

quote:
Originally posted by The Gaul:
For those that didn't read the link when first posted, more evidence from the Tassili area (including Sefar), which apparently included settlements over a period of time, in different areas, not all during the LSA or some distant time before Dynastic Egypt, some of which overlapping pre-DE:

quote:
The true highlight, however, was Sefar. Little is written about the city. Lhote does not provide many details, except a map, showing its extent, as well as the presence of several streets and avenues, tumuli, tombs and something that he calls the “esplanade of the Great Fishing God”. Lhote named the character as he seemed to be carrying fish. But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy”? It was a pose that was used by the Pharaohs to display their mastery over the forces of chaos .
quote:
The “Great Fishing God” of Sefar is thus potential evidence that there is indeed a link between Egypt and the Tassili. Some of the rock paintings also show boats, such as at Sefar and Aouanrhet. These depictions are very similar if not identical to what was discovered by the likes of Toby Wilkinson in similar sites and similar rock paintings in the region between the Nile and the Red Sea. He dated these paintings to the 5th millennium BC, which overlaps with the paintings of the Tassili. Like the Tassili, the desert area where Wilkinson uncovered these paintings was then verdant grassland. Like the Tassili, these Egyptian paintings are a complex mixture of motifs, depicting crocodiles, hippos and boats from the Nile alongside ostriches and giraffes from the savannah, and suffused with cattle imagery and the religious symbolism that would characterize classical Egyptian art . This should by now sound familiar... For Wilkinson, these rock paintings show that pre-Pharaonic Egyptians were not settled flood-plain farmers, but semi-nomadic herders who drove their cattle in between the lush riverbanks and the drier grasslands
quote:
For a “semi-nomadic people”, it is by no means a long stretch of the imagination to argue that they trekked throughout the savannah, from east to west and backwards . And thus, in Pre-dynastic Egypt, Egypt and the Tassili were more than likely “one” . So there is an Egyptian connection, but rather than arguing for a connection around 1200 BC, based on the fake paintings Lhote fell for, the connection can actually be found in predynastic Egypt .
quote:
Both Wilkinson and Zitman argue for a radical reinterpretation of the origins of ancient Egypt. For Wilkinson, the rock paintings in southern Egypt provide proof that it is there that we should look for the “Genesis of the Pharaohs” (the title of his book). For Zitman, the origin of ancient Egypt can be found in a culture and area that stretches into the Tassili, where there is the pose painted on a cliff face in Sefar that would later adorn the front walls of several Egyptian temples . And that cannot be a coincidence. Furthermore, it also coincides with what Lhote wrote: “The most common profile suggested that of Ethiopians, and it was almost certainly from the east that these great waves of pastoralist immigrants came who invaded not only the Tassili but much of the Sahara.”
The fake paintings, according to this, was not done by Lohte, but as a prank on him by one of his team members, for which was revealed and since has been removed.

As for acquiring Lam's book, seems it going to take some overseas connections, time, and money.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Not at all impressive.

Are you merely taking sounds and using Egyptian
phonology to fabricate these ethnies' supposedly
being known to the Romitu?

Where are the in context references to any of these
ethnies as actual peoples living in or in contact with
KM.t?

What you've produced here is little better than
that of those who derive the Ashanti from biblical
Hebrew because:
* Ashan (Smoke) was a town there and
* ti supposedly means 'people of';
thus the Ashanti ran all the way to West Africa from Judah.

quote:

Tutsi

Akan
Akan - the name of a god

Fante

Hausa
Hosa - a singing god

Yoruba

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
"Pour Lydia Homburger,les affinities du pular avec l’egyptien de la XII dynastie seraient etroites. Il faudra sans doute eviter d’en deduire que Peul parle egytien et que cet egyptien est celui de la XII dynastie. "

Alain Anselin, La Question Peule, pg.19.

It was doing the 12th Dynasty that the Fulani were probably in Egypt.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Not at all impressive.

KM.t?

Hebrew because:

Your stubborn intransigence on a point on which you're seriously losing, is baffling yet at the same time is serving to prove our own point:
Let me present you with two concrete, objective facts:

Sen-Sen is a type of breath freshener originally marketed as a "breath perfume" in the late nineteenth century

Now today, if we open Budge's dictionary to page 675 we find the following:
SenSen - to breath
SenSen - to have a bad smell, odor

Now this isn't something fanciful or cobbled together, but real objective truth on the etymology of that product name...

And you dare compare the words from that same dictionary with a cobbled together phrase of "Ashan" + "ti" with a complete word such as "Tutsi" "Tutsi" is a word, just as "cabinet" is a word.

I could have easily expounded on these words and given them in expressions, but you would have more excuses for denial.
The following, while not necessarily found in a scroll, would most certainly have occurred in everyday speech:
Wa Tutsi - "one collection of the gods"

Efante - Eshante - a variation of speech, which we have in Kush, Ekush, Thaosh, Ethaosh

Oba n Benen - was demonstrated, and means "Captain of Benen"; you know, like "Oba n Wos" -"Captain of Wos (Thebes)"

You are far too intelligent of a person to have missed the obviousness of the fact that all of these names were of gods and nobility. None of them were about someone living in a smoking town.

You know this is the same ideology as those previous example excerpts I presented where the commentators would lump the scientific researches of C.A. Diop on Fulani origins in with the writings of a French idiot who maintained that the Fulani were descended from the Gauls; as being fanciful. I mean, doesn't everybody imagine themselves to be descended from the Pharaohs and the 'magical kingdom.' Even the indigenous people, whose ancestors have been there for thousands of years are often ridiculed with their'fanciful' pretensions of descent from Pharaonic Egypt.
The truth is objective, and time and truth are inseparable.
The Fulani once resided in Kemet and the period in which they probably left is being narrowed down to around the 12th dynasty... much thanks to Dr. Winters for pointing this out to us.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Tutsi

Akan
Akan - the name of a god

Fante

Hausa
Hosa - a singing god

Yoruba

Serer
King Amenemhet-Serer

Lebou (The Lebou are primarily a fishing community; living on the Cap-Vert peninsula; speak Wolof.)

Benin
a) Oba n Benen
b) Oba of Benin

Stop making up nonsense, those ethnicities did not exist 2000-5000 years ago, let alone known by the Egyptians. You are constructing a false reality, can't see how any normal person could believe in the pseudo-science you constantly spew here.
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Are you playing a game and keeping points? Get
serious man we're talking history and ethnology
not personal matters of mending your self-esteem.
All your shuck and jive fails to show any current day
West African ethny being either known in Ancient
Egypt or originating in Ancient Egypt.

I don't share your desire, need, or wish to "imagine
themselves to be descended from the Pharaohs and
the 'magical kingdom.'"
I have heritage of my own.

Grandstanding aside, if you even had the thinnest
sliver of primary documentation from an Ancient
Egyptian text naming any West African group you
would have provided it.

Unlike you, I'm not trying to win over followers
to an idealogy. I'm presenting what I know and
so far quite successfully disputing what, until
proven otherwise, enthusiastic wishful thinking
cannot back up with valid documentation.

I await presentation of primary Ancient Egyptian
textual documentation describing contact with or
origination of any of the west or south African
ethnies you imagine.

But in light of your above quoted confession I have
to reassess if I can take you seriously on a scholarly
level when it comes to ethnology anymore since your
motivation is highly suspect.

quote:
quote:
Not at all impressive.

KM.t?

Hebrew because:

Your stubborn intransigence on a point on which you're seriously losing, is baffling yet at the same time is serving to prove our own point:
Let me present you with two concrete, objective facts:

Sen-Sen is a type of breath freshener originally marketed as a "breath perfume" in the late nineteenth century

Now today, if we open Budge's dictionary to page 675 we find the following:
SenSen - to breath
SenSen - to have a bad smell, odor

Now this isn't something fanciful or cobbled together, but real objective truth on the etymology of that product name...

And you dare compare the words from that same dictionary with a cobbled together phrase of "Ashan" + "ti" with a complete word such as "Tutsi" "Tutsi" is a word, just as "cabinet" is a word.

I could have easily expounded on these words and given them in expressions, but you would have more excuses for denial.
The following, while not necessarily found in a scroll, would most certainly have occurred in everyday speech:
Wa Tutsi - "one collection of the gods"

Efante - Eshante - a variation of speech, which we have in Kush, Ekush, Thaosh, Ethaosh

Oba n Benen - was demonstrated, and means "Captain of Benen"; you know, like "Oba n Wos" -"Captain of Wos (Thebes)"

You are far too intelligent of a person to have missed the obviousness of the fact that all of these names were of gods and nobility. None of them were about someone living in a smoking town.

You know this is the same ideology as those previous example excerpts I presented where the commentators would lump the scientific researches of C.A. Diop on Fulani origins in with the writings of a French idiot who maintained that the Fulani were descended from the Gauls; as being fanciful. I mean, doesn't everybody imagine themselves to be descended from the Pharaohs and the 'magical kingdom.' Even the indigenous people, whose ancestors have been there for thousands of years are often ridiculed with their'fanciful' pretensions of descent from Pharaonic Egypt.
The truth is objective, and time and truth are inseparable.
The Fulani once resided in Kemet and the period in which they probably left is being narrowed down to around the 12th dynasty... much thanks to Dr. Winters for pointing this out to us.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
to an idealogy.

Weren't you the one trying to pass off a cracker Jew Rabbi as "black" and even denied cracker Jews are seperatists? What about your magical "Jew gene" that you claim unites the children of Israel be they cracker Jews, Indians or Ethiopians? Don't pretend geat Jew.
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I do understand that Homburger is the basis of
Obenga's Negro-Africaine/Egyptien super-phyla
and am aware of her groundbreaking work proving
Fulfulde was not 'Hamitic' but belonged in a
branch including Wolof and Serer, its closest
relations. Greenberg followed her lead when
he labeled Fulfulde a West Atlantic language.

However here's the translation of the Anselin quote
quote:

For Lydia
(sic, her name is Lilias) Homburger
connections between Pulaar and 12th dynasty
Egyptian are limited.

Without doubt we must avoid deducing that Peuhl
speak Egyptian, especially 12th Dynasty Egyptian.

So, here, Anselin actually counters notions of Fulani in 12th dynasty Egypt.

quote:
"Pour Lydia Homburger,les affinities du pular avec l’egyptien de la XII dynastie seraient etroites. Il faudra sans doute eviter d’en deduire que Peul parle egytien et que cet egyptien est celui de la XII dynastie. "

Alain Anselin, La Question Peule, pg.19.

It was doing the 12th Dynasty that the Fulani were probably in Egypt.

quote:

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
"Il faudra sans doute eviter d’en deduire que Peul parle egytien et que cet egyptien est celui de la XII dynastie. "

"Il faudra sans doute eviter d’en deduire que Peul parle egytien et que cet egyptien est celui de la XII dynastie"

I translated this phrase different:
  • Il faudra* sans doute eviter d'en**

it [will be] necessary without doubt to avoid from it

sans deduire que Peul parle egyptien

without deducing that Peul speak Egyptian

et que cet egyptien est celui

and that this Egyptian is this

de la 12th dynastie.

of the 12th Dynastie.

It [will be] necessary to avoid without doubt from it [the relationship between the Egyptians and Peul] deducing that the Peul spoke Egyptian and that this Egyptian is that of the 12th Dynasty".

*Here faudra probably represents the future tense of falloir , thus I add 'will be'.

**d'en: 'from it', since the earlier sentence was talking about the 12th Dynastie I interpreted 'it' as refering to this Dynasty.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I had native French speaker, who translates as her
profession, do the work for me. So there was no
guess work or awkward unnatural sentence pattern
as results from translator software like BabelFish.

quote:
For Lydia [sic, her name is Lilias] Homburger
Egyptian are limited.

quote:
"Pour Lydia Homburger,
les affinities du pular avec l’egyptien de la XII dynastie
seraient etroites.

Il faudra sans doute eviter d’en deduire que Peul
parle egytien et que cet egyptien est celui de la XII dynastie. "

I invite alternate translations from native French speakers.
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
I had native French speaker, who translates as her
profession, do the work for me. So there was no
guess work or awkward unnatural sentence pattern
as results from translator software like BabelFish.

quote:
For Lydia [sic, her name is Lilias] Homburger
Egyptian are limited.

quote:
"Pour Lydia Homburger,
les affinities du pular avec l’egyptien de la XII dynastie
seraient etroites.

Il faudra sans doute eviter d’en deduire que Peul
parle egytien et que cet egyptien est celui de la XII dynastie. "

I invite alternate translations from native French speakers.

This is not an awkward translation. I am only taking into account what was written in the prior sentence instead of translating the passage in isolation.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
alTakruri wrote:

Are you playing a game and keeping points? Get
serious man we're talking history and ethnology
not personal matters of mending your self-esteem.
All your shuck and jive fails to show any current day
West African ethny being either known in Ancient
Egypt or originating in Ancient Egypt.

I don't share your desire, need, or wish to "imagine
themselves to be descended from the Pharaohs and
the 'magical kingdom.'" I have heritage of my own.

Grandstanding aside, if you even had the thinnest
sliver of primary documentation from an Ancient
Egyptian text naming any West African group you
would have provided it.

to an idealogy. I'm presenting what I know and
so far quite successfully disputing what, until
proven otherwise, enthusiastic wishful thinking
cannot back up with valid documentation.

I await presentation of primary Ancient Egyptian
textual documentation describing contact with or
origination of any of the west or south African
ethnies you imagine.

But in light of your above quoted confession I have
to reassess if I can take you seriously on a scholarly
level when it comes to ethnology anymore since your
motivation is highly suspect.

Well said!
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow People are Making Egypt out to be where all Africans come from.

What is the point of trying to link west Africans to Egypt. I have NEVER heard that the Egyptians knew the West African groups mentioned.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
King asks
quote:
What is the point of trying to link west Africans to Egypt.

to which Wally already confessed
quote:
I mean, doesn't everybody imagine themselves to
be descended from the Pharaohs and the 'magical
kingdom.'

and it pains me to hear that from
the mouth of the mind whose most
work on AEL is so otherwise brilliant.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Since the rock art definitely associated with
Fulani culture is in fact from the LSA any
corespondance with ancient Egypt is precluded.

Harping on one piece from Sefar is disengenius
as that piece is not indicative of Fulani culture
and so bears no relevance to Fulani origins in KM.t

I would remind once again that SE Algeria is not
Egypt. Nothing that was bolded in the post I now
respond to shows a date contemporaneous to Ancient
Egypt nor transposition from the Nile Valley to the
Tassili massif.

The supplied quotes, if anything, tend to show quite
the reverse, that the Tassili preceded Ancient Egypt
and the smiter motif first appeared in Sefar before
later showing up in Egypt.

This is consistent with what we know of the middle
and lower Nile Valley absorbing immigrants from the
drying Green Sahara as well as those moving downstream
from Sudan.

Egypt.

no reason to continue this discussion because no

Basically, you want glyphs in a temple in Abu Simbel that explicity say..."Fulani waz here". Gotcha.

I think it's a bit redundant on your part to conveniently overlook much of what has been posted and simply go in a circle by refuting in the exact same way without providing anything new to back up what you believe, as it is the consensus idea that the true origin of Fulani is not known, and one of the origin points, according to many including Fulani/Wolof/West African scholars, is the Nile Valley.

Secondly, in what I posted about the settlements around the Tassili area, clearly states 5000 BC as an overlapping point with pre-dynastic NV rock art in southern Egypt, and the "smiting of enemies" rock art painting is clearly similar to Dynastic Egypt. Perhaps you missed this?

According to what you believe, you clearly acknowledge the presense of Fulani or proto-Fulani in SE Algeria in the LSA (no exact time given), in concordance to Ba, but then remove them from ALL other contemporary and subsequent art in the area that clearly links to the Nile Valley as a pastoral, semi-nomadic cattle herding people. Where did they go? Did they build a 40 ft. wall and isolate themselves from these other groups that obviously inhabited Tassili? Did they pull a Jesus move and disappear from Tassili in the LSA, only to suddenly re-appear as Fulani in 400 A.D. Morroco?

You know what they say? Beliefs are like....everybody has one. Especially on this topic.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis2:
quote:

Tutsi

Akan
Akan - the name of a god

Fante

Hausa
Hosa - a singing god

Yoruba

Serer
King Amenemhet-Serer

Benin
a) Oba n Benen
b) Oba of Benin

Stop making up nonsense, those ethnicities did not exist 2000-5000 years ago, let alone known by the Egyptians. You are constructing a false reality, can't see how any normal person could believe in the pseudo-science you constantly spew here.
Yonis

As a continental African, you baffle me with this one. Do you honestly think the names Wally has proposed as god names in Mdu Ntr properly means that the coinciding names of MODERN West African ethnies must have been present in AE, with those exact same names ans ethnies in AE?

Just to make sure you understand this, let's clarify.

Zulu does not literally mean "ethnic group currently residing East/Southeast modern day South Africa". Surely you know this? Zulu means literally "Heaven(s)". KwaZulu means "place of heaven" (roughly translated to English). Now, if we happen to find a glyph in Mdu Ntr that also translates into "isiZulu" and also means "Heavens", does it literally mean there was a group in AE dressed in Ox sheaths and leopard head bands?

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:

What is the point of trying to link west Africans to Egypt. I have NEVER heard that the Egyptians knew the West African groups mentioned.

Peace

The point is teaching the truth. What you fail to remember is that the Dynastic Egyptians came from the South and West. The country was divided into nomes so we can assume that Eghypt was probably an Empire and various ethnicities lived in the Empire.

Also, you forget that the people in West Africa came from the East and Northwest. As a result, they had to come from someplace. Many researchers due to the linguistic , archaeological and NTHROPOLOGICAL EVIDENCE HAVE ILLUSTARTED THAT THAT PLACE WAS EGYPT.

You say you have never heard the peoples were related yet you claim you read Diop. This is the thesis of his work: West Africans came from Egypt.

I don't know if you read French, if you did you would see all the evidence linking the Egyptians and Black Africans.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:

Peace

KING

This is not about "all" Africans being linked to Egypt. This is about Fulani being linked to Egypt, and possible demic diffusion of certain traits, such as language, religiosity, and certain other aspects of culture sharing affinites with others in West Africa.

To decide whether this already existed in West Africa and moved into AE, or was transposed from AE to West Africa is another side argument.

This is merely pointing out the affinities as far as other West African groups besides Fulani.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
To theGaul

Did you forget something? Let me repeat.

Egypt.

no reason to continue this discussion
because no

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
To theGaul

Did you forget something? Let me repeat.

Egypt.

no reason to continue this discussion
because no

By the same token, provide some documentation for where Fulani people were between the LSA and 400 A.D.complete with dates, routes, and places if they had NOTHING to do with the Nile Valley.

So far, the date for overlap provided is 5000 BC as shown, but not quoted by you, in my previous posts. Places were Tassili area and the Nile Valley. Your characterization as "anything goes evidence" is your own and nothing but your own.

I also want to get a consensus on the Lidias Homburger quote and will provide on tomorrow.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Yonis

As a continental African, you baffle me with this one. Do you honestly think the names Wally has proposed as god names in Mdu Ntr properly means that the coinciding names of MODERN West African ethnies must have been present in AE, with those exact same names ans ethnies in AE?

Zulu does not literally mean "ethnic group currently residing East/Southeast modern day South Africa". Surely you know this? Zulu means literally "Heaven(s)". KwaZulu means "place of heaven" (roughly translated to English). Now, if we happen to find a glyph in Mdu Ntr that also translates into "isiZulu" and also means "Heavens", does it literally mean there was a group in AE dressed in Ox sheaths and leopard head bands?

Regardles what these names mean, it's highly unlikely they were known to the ancient Egyptians.
First of all most tribes/ethnicities from antiquity don't exist today as an unbroken continuation. You have people ofcourse claiming that they are this and that, like israelites and Assyrians etc, but they don't really exist. The Romans don't exist, the medians don't exist, the lydians don't exist, the hittites don't exist, neither do the cretans, spartans, kemetians, babylonians, israelites, kushites, Sabaens, phoenicians etc etc. The reason is that humans are not static, they migrate, they receive migration (even if it's in a local and regional basis), they get invaded, they invade,they adopt, they evolve, they degenerate, point being that ethnicities constantly emerge and disintegrate. So What is the chance that all these ethnicities of todays West africa existed during antiquity and all of them ( not just some, but ALL)mentioned above, happened to remain intact untill this date? Com'n, that's extremely unlikely. The same applies to languages and words, they are in constant flux.

Secondly, the glyphs of Ancient Egypt are not accuratley read, we don't know the sound of the Egyptic languages and will probably never do so. Egyptologist follow an imperfect model which works when deciphering the meaning of the hieroghlyphs but they have no clue how this sounded. This since Egyptian hieroglyphs doesn't conserve vowels.
Amenhotep for instance was not in reality named Amenhotep, his name was pronounced completly different by ancient Egyptians. These are just guess works, not even that, these are constructs by egyptologists, they have created a template for the conveniency of their work, otherwise they wouldn't progress in their field. They have no clue how the missing vowels sounded. No one alive can speak the Egyptic languages, all the words are guesswork or construct, but the template they use allows the meaning of the hieroghlyps to be understood, that's it.

Which at the end makes the endeavour of placing modern words/ethnicities and their pronounciation next to Mdu-Ntr a complete futile task.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Yonis2 wrote
quote:

You just can't get angry at an idiotic response such as this, instead you have to laugh.
[Big Grin]

Unable to refute, deny, or even to digest information presented - which the individual obviously feels threatened by - it becomes necessary to use the only tactic left - character assassination; "making up nonsense", "constructing a false reality", " can't see how any normal person could believe in the pseudo-science you constantly spew here"

Now here is what this
idiotic response is attempting to get folks to believe:

a) The Mdu Ntr words Tutsi, Akan, Akaniu, Fante, Hosa, Ourbaiu, Ouruba, Serer, Amenemhet(the)Serer, Lebou, Benen, Oba are something which I made up, I fabricated these words, that, or I somehow was able to warp time, went back and induced Budge to include them in his dictionary - to aid in my fabrication...

a1) Any intelligent person would simply open the dictionary, of which I have provided online for those who use this forum,
http://cid-6075ca909f8a8375.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Ancient%20Egypt/Hieroglyphic%20Dictionary

look up the words to confirm and verify the information put in front of them. That is what any normal person would do. Fortunately, the majority of folks here are normal...

Feigned "mis-understanding"
The individual here is more likely pretending to misunderstand something that is quite simple and straightforward rather than merely being "mentally challenged."
anyone can understand the following examples that have been put forward here:

a) the Mdu Ntr word "sensen" which means bad breath is obviously the parent word for the modern day breath freshener "SenSen"

b) the Mdu Ntr word "Baraka" (Ba+Ra+Ka; blessing, gift) is clearly the progenitor of the Islamic; Judaic; Swahili words "Barak, Baraka..."

c) the occurrence of a name, like "Cheikh"(Sheikh) in Cheikh Anta Diop, would infer an Islamic influence in Senegal...and guess what...

But it is in the examples of Kemet where the interpretive brain becomes addled; all common sense and observations being hurled out of the window. The simple and undeniable fact that such Mdu Ntr religious or noble terms such as Tutsi, Akan, Akaniu, Fante, Hosa, Ourbaiu, Ouruba, Serer, Lebou, Benen, Oba are not intelligently processed. The simple fact that "Akan" is the name of a Kememou god and not the name of an ethnic group living in Kemet is a deliberate mis-understanding in order to detract from a simple flow of logic:

a) is it a co-incidence then that there is also an Akan people in West Africa; what other similarities are there between these two cultures; some Akan kings' pre-names were "Amon", the Akan, like the Kememou are matriarchal, don't/didn't the Akan practice mummification? - and more questions and more answers, until the puzzle is complete.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Wally wrote:
a) is it a co-incidence then that there is also an Akan people in West Africa;

Yes, its nothing else than a coincidence actually. Furthermore we don't know if they even had the term "Akan", Egyptian "Kn" could easily have been the syllables "Ahkono","kuna", "Okna" etc, etc. The vowels in your "Akan" are inserted by modern non-Ancient Egyptian scholars for their conviniency at work.
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Wally wrote:
a) is it a co-incidence then that there is also an Akan people in West Africa;

Yes, its nothing else than a coincidence actually. Furthermore we don't know if they even had the term "Akan", Egyptian "Kn" could easily have been the syllables "Ahkono","kuna", "Okna" etc, etc. The vowels in your "Akan" are inserted by modern non-Ancient Egyptian scholars for their conviniency at work.
Yonis

With all due respect, you are simplifying this beyond the scope of reason and scholarship. There is much more to reading hieroglyphs than simply inserting vowels however you see fit. I agree that pronunciations might be different, but thats besides the point.

No one has disputed Diop on what he wrote in his book as Mdu Ntr words that coincide with Wolof. As a matter of fact, it wasn't even him who did a lot of the deciphering. He simply brought out the similarities that coincidentally shocked many who did not know Wolof language. Therefore, how do you explain this?

How do you explain "Atlantic" Niger-Congo languages that still to this day share noun classes with certain Niger-Kordofanian languages spoken in present day Sudan?

Just take the information as it stands and make rational judgements without going to the moon, i.e. if Fulani were present in Tassili, and during that time frame the Nile Valley and the rest of the Sahara were "one" with obvious cultural diffusions/affinities between all areas in between, then it's natural to infer that the origin of Fulani could have been in either place or some point in between.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Yonis

With all due respect, you are simplifying this beyond the scope of reason and scholarship. There is much more to reading hieroglyphs than simply inserting vowels however you see fit. I agree that pronunciations might be different, but thats besides the point.

Do you disagree that Egyptian Hieroglyphs have no vowels which inturn makes us clueless of how their words and everyday conversation sounded like? If no, then how can anyone claim that names of modern people were exactly pronounced as they are by AE's?

quote:
How do you explain "Atlantic" Niger-Congo languages that still to this day share noun classes with certain Niger-Kordofanian languages spoken in present day Sudan?

What does this have to do with my post and the one by wally which i was initially responding to? Egyptic was neither Niger-congo or Niger kordofian so i don't see the relevency.
Btw Darfur (niger kordofian area of sudan) lies west of Sudan, bordering Cameron (niger-congo speaking country) and Chad. So nothing spectacular if their exist lingustic relationship among these speakers.

quote:
Just take the information as it stands and make rational judgements without going to the moon, i.e. if Fulani were present in Tassili, and during that time frame the Nile Valley and the rest of the Sahara were "one" with obvious cultural diffusions/affinities between all areas in between, then it's natural to infer that the origin of Fulani could have been in either place or some point in between.
I haven't said anything about the Fulani, my knowledge of this people is limited, i know nothing about their geographical migrations or their origin. I just know that they don't live in Eritrea numbering 2 million under the ethnic name "Tekruri", and i also know that their is no ethnic group in Somalia that goes by the name "Techruri", that's it.
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Do you disagree that Egyptian Hieroglyphs have no vowels which inturn makes us clueless of how their words and everyday conversation sounded like?

I do not and cannot disagree that they have no vowels, but your simplistic assesment of how vowels are decided on I whole-heartedly disagree with. Perhaps some study in this area is in order.

quote:
What does this got to do with my post and the one by wally which i was initially responding to? Egyptic was neither Niger-congo or Niger kordofian so i don't see the relevency.
Current classifications, largely by Greenberg have already been addressed as many are still specualtive to this date. The point was that since the languages I stated previously, as currently classified, undeniably share noun classes, this can show the movement of the language and/or it's people from one area to another either physically or simply through demic diffusion without severing their links.

quote:
I haven't said anything about the Fulani, my knowledge of this people is limited, i know nothing about their geographical migrations or their origin. I just know that they don't live in Eritrea numbering 2 million under the ethnic name "Tekruri", and i also know that their is no ethnic group in Somalia that goes by the name "Techruri", that's it.
This was simply to show that you also are in no position to make static claims on other groups in West Africa, and definetly not enough to dumb down what was posted in regards to Mdu Ntr god names that, apprently, according to Wally, coincide with current ethnies in West Africa. Just simply take the information without misunderstanding it and make rational judgements.
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Gaul wrote:
This was simply to show that you also are in no position to make static claims on other groups in West Africa, and definetly not enough to dumb down what was posted in regards to Mdu Ntr god names that, apprently, according to Wally, coincide with current ethnies in West Africa. Just simply take the information without misunderstanding it and make rational judgements

If wally want's to relate the modern field/archeological/scientific Egyptic which is a very young language to ethnies with similar names, then fine.
But he simply can't relate these ethnical names to Mdu-Ntr for the simple reason that we don't know the words of Mdu-Ntr in their complete form, even less how they sounded.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Now if you pay careful attention, I will show you how to read the above example, and in a general sense, how to find words in Budge's dictionary:

a) the first thing to note is that the word is present in modern Sahaidic Coptic Egyptian, which means we don't have to guess the proper spelling and pronunciation of the word: touwt, thouwt or its true meaning(s).

b) the value of Budge's dictionary, as opposed to any other, is its sheer comprehensiveness; for starting at the top we have the following permutations of this word - note also that the word's usage is shown by its determinative, either 1) royal image, statue,or mummy 2) a man eating, drinking, speaking, or whatever is done by the mouth 3) the Ntru; gods, ancestors :
quote:

tut, tut, tut, tut, tuti, tutu, tutu, titutu, (caus.) stut, tut(nteru);the assembled gods...and tutsi "all of them"; the letters following "tut" are the door-bolt which is an "s" and the double back-slashes which is the letter "i"...tutsi

The present day Coptic equivalent would be Touwtsi (Toh.oot.see) [Cool]

PS: the 'quail-chick' and the 'rope spiral' are both vowels, both represents "U" or "W" depending on their positions in a word
...we learned in second-grade that the vowels were "a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes w; second grade we learned this...

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Gaul:

Basically, you want glyphs in a temple in Abu Simbel that explicity say..."Fulani waz here". Gotcha.

Indeed, that's the only thing that could lend any straw of legitimacy to your "Fulanis be in AE", and even then, it would still have been too weak to suggest an eastern African origin of the Fula.

quote:

I think it's a bit redundant on your part to conveniently overlook much of what has been posted

...which has mainly been relegated to evasive unintelligible rambling, that never addresses what you cite to begin with.

quote:

and simply go in a circle by refuting in the exact same way without providing anything new

...like there is any justification for doing so, when you are too intellectually paralyzed to take on the tangibles you were already given, that bust your material-free 'Fula-Nile Valley origin' myths which you continue senselessly spam the place with.

quote:

to back up what you believe, as it is the consensus idea that the true origin of Fulani is not known, and one of the origin points, according to many including Fulani/Wolof/West African scholars, is the Nile Valley.

That is not a consensus, it is the cultist idea, propagated by mainly non-Africans, and a few reactionary bourgeois African elements who spent much of their time and/or education in 'western' academia, and hence, approach certain African affairs in a reactionary sort of way, as opposed to the objective and rational manner.

Consensus lies in what tangible evidential material thus far tells all rational and able-minded people, and that evidence thus far, absolutely one-sidedly points to western Africa.

Prove of this fact lies in your total inability to provide a shred of tangible evidence on Fula origins in the Nile Valley, while on the other hand, you seem helpless in addressing considerable *tangible* evidence thrown at you, with regards to the obvious western African origins of this group.

quote:

Secondly, in what I posted about the settlements around the Tassili area, clearly states 5000 BC as an overlapping point with pre-dynastic NV rock art in southern Egypt, and the "smiting of enemies" rock art painting is clearly similar to Dynastic Egypt. Perhaps you missed this?

Indeed, what specific pre-dynastic "smiting of enemies" are you alluding to? Even then, "Smiting of enemies" is supposed to be a uniquely Fula thing or AE for that matter?

You remind me of those Nordicentrist loons who speak of mass demic diffusion of some mystical Nordic "pioneers" into the Nile Valley to lay the foundations of the Dynastic culture there, yet it does not strike dud-heads like these, that such emigrants seem to have no evidence of the material achievement that defines either groups that they supposedly came to characterize -- the AE or Fula respectively -- in their 'original' backyards. The nordicentrist loons are rendered speechless when asked why nordic emigrants' homeland backyard are totally devoid of tangible evidence that characterizes the Nile Valley that they were supposed to have laid the foundations for; likewise, fringe 'western' brainwashed non-African loons are rendered speechless when asked to explain why the Nile Valley lacks tangible evidence of Fula presence in the so-called Fula's original Nile Valley backyard, yet such evidence readily appears in western Africa. Why these mystical emigrants only learn how to do these things when they have arrived their destination, as opposed to first building their backyard as the prototype for what was to come, is something the dud heads never explain.

quote:

According to what you believe, you clearly acknowledge the presense of Fulani or proto-Fulani in SE Algeria in the LSA (no exact time given)

Given that this is pre-history, dating is estimated via procedures like radio carbon-dating, where tangible material like rock art is concerned. That as an issue however, is another smokescreen, because the fact of the matter is, such *tangible* evidence apparently exists in the western Sahara but does NOT in the eastern end, the supposed area of your mystical Fula origins.

Molecular genetics and linguistics simply reaffirm the implications of this tangible western Sahara (western Africa) evidence about the groups that laid the foundations for the contemporary Fula.

quote:

Where did they go? Did they build a 40 ft. wall and isolate themselves from these other groups that obviously inhabited Tassili? Did they pull a Jesus move and disappear from Tassili in the LSA, only to suddenly re-appear as Fulani in 400 A.D. Morroco?

Silly, if the Fula's western Saharan precursors disappeared, you wouldn't be speaking of the Fula in western Africa, now would you; the Rock Art would not display traits that have come to be associated with contemporary Fulas , now would it?

Also, what took place in the Sahara in the mid-early Holocene periods? Where are the Fula mainly found today, where do the Fula reside in western Africa today, and how far have they stretched?

quote:

You know what they say? Beliefs are like....everybody has one. Especially on this topic.

Yeah, but in your case, they are totally cultist gobbledygook,and zero tangible substantiation.

quote:

This is about Fulani being linked to Egypt, and possible demic diffusion of certain traits, such as language, religiosity, and certain other aspects of culture sharing affinites with others in West Africa.

...of which, you produce no tangible evidence, short of cultist smokescreen off-point ramblings.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Akan:

-

There is no "Q" in either Mdu Ntr or in Coptic. This is Budge's way of distinguishing one "K" glyph from another "K" glyph. In the Mdu Ntr, the word is Akan...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Fanti:

-

The Fanti (also spelled Fante) is an Akan ethnic group. Note the Coptic pronounciation above "Fanti"; where "nose" in Coptic is written "Shante" - which is close, very close to the Akan dialect of "Ashante"...also from this Coptic example we know that the vowel between 'f' and 'n' is an 'a' - Fanti...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Oba:

-

This one is pretty straightforward - the extended arm with palm up is in the majority of cases in Coptic represents the letter "O" + ba = Oba

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Benin:

-

Carefully follow the flow of these words, all of which relate to the act of copulation and ending with the god of copulation;

1) benben, bonben, benen

2) bn or ben (either way is ok)

3 benu

4) benben - to copulate, to come, to well up (ie, have an erection)

5) benen or benin (either way is ok)

6) Benen/Benin

7) Benin - this one is more precise in indicating the vowels, even though Budge writes it as "Benni" - this word should probably be read like a clock - bnin, which is consistent with the previous phallic god "Benen." This happens frequently in the Mdu Ntr:

ieA) Dshrt in Mdu Ntr is pronounced Derosh in Coptic and Deret in Wolof, indicating that the proper spelling of the Mdu Ntr word is Derosh...

ieB) Abns in Mdu Ntr, if read like a clock, we get instead abnsun, more closely duplicating the Coptic equivalent of "abswn"...

...in either dialect; Mdu Ntr or Coptic, even "Binin" would be a valid dialect.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Yonis

Regardles what these names mean, it's highly unlikely they were known to the ancient Egyptians.
First of all most tribes/ethnicities from antiquity don't exist today as an unbroken continuation. You have people ofcourse claiming that they are this and that, like israelites and Assyrians etc, but they don't really exist. The Romans don't exist, the medians don't exist, the lydians don't exist, the hittites don't exist, neither do the cretans, spartans, kemetians, babylonians, israelites, kushites, Sabaens, phoenicians etc etc. The reason is that humans are not static, they migrate, they receive migration (even if it's in a local and regional basis), they get invaded, they invade,they adopt, they evolve, they degenerate, point being that ethnicities constantly emerge and disintegrate. So What is the chance that all these ethnicities of todays West africa existed during antiquity and all of them ( not just some, but ALL)mentioned above, happened to remain intact untill this date? Com'n, that's extremely unlikely. The same applies to languages and words, they are in constant flux.

Secondly, the glyphs of Ancient Egypt are not accuratley read, we don't know the sound of the Egyptic languages and will probably never do so. Egyptologist follow an imperfect model which works when deciphering the meaning of the hieroghlyphs but they have no clue how this sounded. This since Egyptian hieroglyphs doesn't conserve vowels.
Amenhotep for instance was not in reality named Amenhotep, his name was pronounced completly different by ancient Egyptians. These are just guess works, not even that, these are constructs by egyptologists, they have created a template for the conveniency of their work, otherwise they wouldn't progress in their field. They have no clue how the missing vowels sounded. No one alive can speak the Egyptic languages, all the words are guesswork or construct, but the template they use allows the meaning of the hieroghlyps to be understood, that's it.

Which at the end makes the endeavour of placing modern words/ethnicities and their pronounciation next to Mdu-Ntr a complete futile task.

Not really. In comparative linguistics you look at the consonants. Consonantal patterns within words remain fairly stable.

Even if you can't pronounce a sign does not neglect its significance as a source of historical data which can also tell us the relationship between speakers of diverse languages.

Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great debate on this thread! The level of knowledge on Egyptsearch is still the highest to be found on the internet....even with the silly trolls.

Good stuff from all sides, guys.

--------------------
Black Roots.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Arabia

-

The Aribi or Arabs

-

...the Hindus are in obvious control of India - "Hntou" in Coptic

-

This god's name is written "Twi", which is the same as "Toui" or "Tui"...another religious term we find in the Akan language of "Twi" itself...

-

The proper vocalic rendering of this word is "Israel" - the "R" letter becomes in this instance its alternative "L"...

All of that which is presented above is pretended to be confusion and/or irrelevant to the Stormfront-attackers on this forum; they have the ability to use a computer, go online and post their messages and at the same time pretend that they can't read or comprehend something as simple as "T.u.t.s.i" - but don't censor these Stormfronters, for they are more valuable to us than they realize. [Wink]

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The AE record is full of ethnonyms. We find reports
on the whereabouts and activites of various ethnies
who fall under one of five major groupings. We do not
have to suppose sounds from words that are not themselves
ethnonyms to discover the myriad of ethnic groups known to
the Ancient Egyptians.

Since the peoples of western and southern Africa that
are being claimed as known by or originating in Ancient
Egypt do have ethnonyms, no less than their same
ethnonym in use as an ethnonym is acceptable as evidence
they were ethnies (not individual neteru or what have you
but whole peoples) in, near, or known to Ancient Egyptians.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com