EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » My letter to the NY Times

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My letter to the NY Times
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this will be published in the NY Times but I responded to their recent article about the King Tut reconstructions:

RE: Long Skull, Narrow Face: Tut Gets New Look

I don’t understand the recent obsession with reconstructing the faces of famous ancient Egyptian persons from the New Kingdom. There are many depictions of King Tutankamun from his early childhood years till his late teens created by artists who had seen him in life but these portraits are not as recognized outside of museums as the Golden Mask. In contrast to earlier time periods in Egypt when most of the depictions of Kings were idealistic, the portraiture of the New Kingdom was realistic and candid. We don’t need a reconstruction of the face of King Tut anymore than we need to reconstruct the face of Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:

I don’t understand the recent obsession with reconstructing the faces of famous ancient Egyptian persons from the New Kingdom.

Thought Writes:

Neo, is it that you REALLY don't understand why they want these reconstructions or were you being sarcastic?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you should really ask the New York Times are:

Were the scientists who did the reconstructions objective in their approach? Were they aware that the CT scan images those of Tut? Why three different reconstructions on one skull? Why is such a big deal made on this recent reconstruction and not so much the previous one (the more African looking one). And why did the scientists model theirs after modern day Egyptians if the populations today are strikingly different from ancient ones?

These are the questions I would ask?

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 14 May 2005).]

Posts: 26296 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Writes:

Neo, is it that you REALLY don't understand why they want these reconstructions or were you being sarcastic?

Hawass clearly wasn't pleased with the very African reconstructions of Nefertiti and Tut so I'd say his involvement in the most recent ones is a reaction to the past results. I'm just pondering why anyone would want to reconstruct the faces of people from the Amarna period at all. That was one period where there is no question what most members of the royal family looked like. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a reconstruction of someone a little less depicted like Smenkare.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
What you should really ask the New York Times are:

[b]Were the scientists who did the reconstructions objective in their approach? Were they aware that the CT scan images those of Tut? Why three different reconstructions on one skull? Why is such a big deal made on this recent reconstruction and not so much the previous one (the more African looking one). And why did the scientists model theirs after modern day Egyptians if the populations today are strikingly different from ancient ones?

These are the questions I would ask?

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 14 May 2005).][/B]

Good questions.

You can write the NY Times too:

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor should only be sent to The Times, and not to other publications. We do not publish open letters or third-party letters.

Letters for publication should be no longer than 150 words, must refer to an article that has appeared within the last seven days, and must include the writer's address and phone numbers. No attachments, please.

We regret we cannot return or acknowledge unpublished letters. Writers of those letters selected for publication will be notified within a week. Letters may be shortened for space requirements.

Send a letter to the editor by e-mailing letters@nytimes.com or faxing (212)556-3622.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hawass clearly wasn't pleased with the very African reconstructions of Nefertiti and Tut so I'd say his involvement in the most recent ones is a reaction to the past results.

Thought Writes:

Hawas has little knowledge of modern biological anthropology and a high profile position. Bad combination.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pimander
Member # 7133

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pimander   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One glance at Hawass' Dept. of Egyptian Antiquities web site shows that it is a closed shop. There is no e-mail address and no discussion board. Ergo, we have a barricaded bureaucrat in a position to seive data and basically dictate what is politically expedient rather than intellectually open, honest and debatable. This reflects upon a draconian situation that has existed in contemporary Egyptian society since at least the time of Augustus Octavian. The recidivist disease is rampant in other places as well. Good luck with The N.Y. Times fellas, but given their track record with "fair and balanced" I wouldn't expect any sudden change of heart from them either.

a bientot
DMc

Posts: 74 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one was well played by Hawass, in terms of timing and tactics. He did what he set out to do.

Unlike his "mystery genetic test" on the "Fletchter" mummy, which only changed perceptions of Hawass own credibility.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not sure if this will be published in the NY Times but I responded to their recent article about the King Tut reconstructions:

RE: Long Skull, Narrow Face: Tut Gets New Look

I don’t understand the recent obsession with reconstructing the faces of famous ancient Egyptian persons from the New Kingdom. There are many depictions of King Tutankamun from his early childhood years till his late teens created by artists who had seen him in life but these portraits are not as recognized outside of museums as the Golden Mask. In contrast to earlier time periods in Egypt when most of the depictions of Kings were idealistic, the portraiture of the New Kingdom was realistic and candid. We don’t need a reconstruction of the face of King Tut anymore than we need to reconstruct the face of Abraham Lincoln.

Yo Neo...what's the email address to NYT?

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe he posted it earlier, unless there is another one:

quote:
Send a letter to the editor by e-mailing letters@nytimes.com

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YuhiVII
Member # 5605

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for YuhiVII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Neo that it probably was a reaction to the previous reconstructions. In my opinion it is Hawass's attempt at a PR coup. For example it was claimed that this has been the "first reconstruction" of Tut. We know that's not true. Secondly if one just looks at the three reconstructions, you will notice they are quite different. How Hawass says that they were exactly the same beats me! The Egyptian version is the most Caucasian-like of all. The prominent nose and square jaws seem out of place. The French version in profile looks strange at best, forced at worst. For instance, how did they determine the skin colour? The American version seems to be the most real and no bets here on who was working "blind".
But you must give it to Hawass for understanding how modern PR works; (esp. over the Internet) what matters is not the substance but the perception. I mean not many people will ask: "How did they end up recontructing a Caucasian face from a supposedly "African skull"?"

[This message has been edited by YuhiVII (edited 14 May 2005).]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

They are using the color of modern Egyptians for the reconstructions. Forensic reconstruction can tell us very little about the bridge of the nose or color of the deceased person. Obviously, they are using the color of northern Egyptians,and not southern Egyptians were Tut-ankh-amun came from.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Obviously, they are using the color of northern Egyptians,and not southern Egyptians were Tut-ankh-amun came from.

Thought Writes:

Does anyone know how many of Tut's ancestors were northern Egyptian?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

We don't know the idenity of Tut-ankh-amun's mother. Some have suggested it was Tiye,and others have said it was Queen Kiya. If its Tiye then Amenhotep III is Tut-ankh-amun's father. If its Kiya then Tut-ankh-amun's father is Akenaten. The same goes if Neferiti is his mother.

Thuya and Yuya were the mother and father of Tiye. Suggestions have been made that Yuya might be of foreign extraction because early anatomist Sir Grafton Smith noticed the peculiarities of features compared to other Egyptians. Thuya was definately an Upper Egyptian.

Let me also add the another problem is identification of the mummies. We are really not sure whose mummies we have. Lots of mummies got swtiched or stolen. Many were destoyed. If you notice that most of the mummy collection that dates to the 18th dyansty are severly damaged.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always amazed me that we have as much material, well ok, corpses, as we do.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by neo*geo:
[B] Hawass clearly wasn't pleased with the very African reconstructions of Nefertiti and Tut so I'd say his involvement in the most recent ones is a reaction to the past results.

I am not either. They made them look very much like African with big blotched nose and lumby lips which are very far from typical Egyptian features.

Does not matter what you or any body says. Egypt is Egyptian, neither African nor Arab.
Full stop.

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 15 May 2005).]

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salama:
Does not matter what you or any body says. Egypt is Egyptian, neither African nor Arab.
Full stop.

What, Egypt is floating in space, and has no historical, cultural, geographical and political ties with other Africans?

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 15 May 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am not either. They made them look very much like African with big blotched nose and lumby lips which are very far from typical Egyptian features.

Full stop.

Tut-ankh-amun came from modern day Luxor. Many modern Luxor Egyptians have those features you call a-typical of modern Egyptians.

Tut-ankh-amun would have looked more like these Saidi children from Luxor than a Bohary Egyptian from the Delta or Cairo. See the following:

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 15 May 2005).]

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[B] Tut-ankh-amun came from modern day Luxor. Many modern Luxor Egyptians have those features you call a-typical of modern Egyptians.

Perhaps not, the Egyptians are known mixers- their features have changed a lot since then . The southern of Egypt population have very much mix married with Africans from the numbian boders down to Somalia.

If you again at the pic.you provided you will see that these kids are of the same race. The kid at the far right hand side, is very Saidi, while the kids to the left are mixed with African ancestery.

Tut, Nuffer-titi and Ra-m-sis all more like the kid at the right side of the pic.

Somalis were brought into Egypt as gifts ( not slaves ) some of them saw their way to the heart of Egyptian pricesses like Noffrit .

No, neither somali nor any other race could ever, ever link with the Egyptian race.
Once more , Egypt is Egyptian, neither African nor Arab regardless of what some of them try to convince us with otherwise.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many times i am going to say it? again,folks could be so hard headed.
The early egyptians for the most part were black africans with negriod features and most up to the early medieval period were unmixed africans.facts are facts,so wishing otherwise would never change it,because it is history.

[This message has been edited by kenndo (edited 15 May 2005).]

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenndo:
[B]How many times i am going to say it? again,folks could be so hard headed.
The early egyptians for the most part were black africans with negriod features and most up to the early medieval period were unmixed africans.facts are facts,so wishing otherwise would never change it,because it is history.

Ha, ha, ha.
Egyptians were never negros. Don't waste your breathe.
If you like us to dye on you, well come nearer.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Ha, ha, ha.
Don't waste your breathe.

Why do say that, are you ineducable?

One thing many of us try to do is present evidence and not just make statements without proof.

For example, many scholars have examined the remains of Southern Egyptians and concluded that they were of tropical African type, and physically resembling other Africans, including East and West Africans.

Here are a couple of examples:

Shomarka Keita:
The Badarian crania have a modal metric phenotype that is clearly 'southern'; most classify into the Nubian, Gaboon, and Kenyan groups NO Badarian cranium in any analysis classified into the EUROPEAN SERIES.
"Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships," 1993

Sir Alan Gardiner -
". Whatever may be said of the northerners, it is safe to
describe the dwellers in Upper Egypt as of essentially African stock,
a character always retained despite alien influences brought to bear
on them from time to time."
(pg. 392; Egypt of the Pharaohs 1966

Do you have evidence to the contrary of the above scholars?

We can provide more [MUCH MORE] evidence if you need it.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 15 May 2005).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
Perhaps not, the Egyptians are known mixers- their features have changed a lot since then . The southern of Egypt population have very much mix married with Africans from the numbian boders down to Somalia.

If you again at the pic.you provided you will see that these kids are of the same race. The kid at the far right hand side, is very Saidi, while the kids to the left are mixed with African ancestery.

Tut, Nuffer-titi and Ra-m-sis all more like the kid at the right side of the pic.

Somalis were brought into Egypt as gifts ( not slaves ) some of them saw their way to the heart of Egyptian pricesses like Noffrit .

No, neither somali nor any other race could ever, ever link with the Egyptian race.
Once more , Egypt is Egyptian, neither African nor Arab regardless of what some of them try to convince us with otherwise.

Actually, they have mixed with nobody. Their African ancestors came into Egypt during the pre-dyanstic times. You ever heard of the Badarian culture?

Somalis never came to Egypt in large numbers during the Dyanstic times.

If we want to get technical about it Cairene Egyptians mixed with imported white slaves,and Sudanese slaves. Your modern Cairene Egyptians probably has more admixture than these Saidi children.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com