EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Afro Magic..?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afro Magic..?
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Trio Found Guilty of 'Witch' Child Cruelty

Three people have been found guilty of cruelty to an eight-year-old girl they had believed to be a witch.

The girl's aunt, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of four charges of child cruelty.

Another relative, Sita Kisanga, 35, of Hackney, east London, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of three charges of aiding and abetting child cruelty.

Kisanga's brother Sebastian Pinto, 33, of Stoke Newington, London, was found guilty of aiding and abetting cruelty.

The two women were found not guilty of conspiracy to murder. The three were remanded in custody and were warned by Judge Christopher Moss that they faced jail sentences.

The child, now 10, had told the trial that she was to be thrown into a river from a third floor flat.

The cruelty started at the beginning of 2003 when a boy told his mother that the girl had been using witchcraft.

The child was cut with a knife, beaten with a belt and shoe and had chilli peppers rubbed in her eyes to beat the devil out of her during her ordeal at a flat in Hackney, east London.

The orphan was was brought to Britain in 2002 by her 38-year-old aunt from Angola, was beaten until she was made to admit she had been doing witchcraft.

Det Supt Chris Bourlet, head of the Metropolitan Child Abuse Command, said: "This was a distressing case involving a vulnerable child who suffered at the hands of adults who should have cared for and protected her."

Mary Marsh, director of the NSPCC, said: "This is a horrific case, which has exposed beliefs held by some in the African community that can lead to child abuse."

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serpent Wizdom
Member # 7652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serpent Wizdom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what are you trying to say minister Salama???????

I thought I might make you feel a little better by acknowledging this waste of Cyberspace, since no one else seems to be.

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! LMFAO!!!!

Posts: 303 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You musn't forget that so-called "Afro-magic" was practiced by the ancient Egyptians also!!
Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salama:

Trio Found Guilty of 'Witch' Child Cruelty

Three people have been found guilty of cruelty to an eight-year-old girl they had believed to be a witch.

The girl's aunt, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of four charges of child cruelty.

Another relative, Sita Kisanga, 35, of Hackney, east London, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of three charges of aiding and abetting child cruelty.

Kisanga's brother Sebastian Pinto, 33, of Stoke Newington, London, was found guilty of aiding and abetting cruelty.

The two women were found not guilty of conspiracy to murder. The three were remanded in custody and were warned by Judge Christopher Moss that they faced jail sentences.

The child, now 10, had told the trial that she was to be thrown into a river from a third floor flat.

The cruelty started at the beginning of 2003 when a boy told his mother that the girl had been using witchcraft.

The child was cut with a knife, beaten with a belt and shoe and had chilli peppers rubbed in her eyes to beat the devil out of her during her ordeal at a flat in Hackney, east London.

The orphan was was brought to Britain in 2002 by her 38-year-old aunt from Angola, was beaten until she was made to admit she had been doing witchcraft.

Det Supt Chris Bourlet, head of the Metropolitan Child Abuse Command, said: "This was a distressing case involving a vulnerable child who suffered at the hands of adults who should have cared for and protected her."

Mary Marsh, director of the NSPCC, said: "This is a horrific case, which has exposed beliefs held by some in the African community that can lead to child abuse."

Salama,
Are you ready? I'm waiting for your answer...Ready for the truth?...If you can't take it, just let me know...otherwise I would think you fear something...I'm a gentleman, I know you are a lady, I don't want to offend you...But let me know if you don't wish that I express my thoughts....
Relaxx

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

How funny, all of the above remind me with Eddy Murpgy first attempts to be funny, very funny.

More of Afro. magic is soon to continue.

I started, so I will finish.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How funny, all of the above remind me with Eddy Murpgy first attempts to be funny, very funny.

More of Afro. magic is soon to continue.

I started, so I will finish.

Yeah just finish...you got it....Don't worry I'm still around in the forum...
Relaxx

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandon19
Member # 7773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandon19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so are u saying eddie murphy is not funny.my MOTHER WENT ON A DATE WITH HIM LOL.
Posts: 188 | From: canton,ma,united states | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by relaxx:
[B] Yeah just finish...you got it....Don't worry I'm still around in the forum...
Relaxx

Is violence in your gene?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salama, stop demonizing Africans custom of magic.

Not all use of magic is bad! You seem to be too focused on the negative, evil, voodoo stuff but there is more to it than that!

In fact here is more "Afro-magic"!!

Ancient Egyptian Magic

The "magic" of the Egyptians was of two kinds: (1) that which was employed for legitimate purposes and with the idea of benefiting either the living or the dead, and (2) that which was made use of in the furtherance of nefarious plots and schemes and was intended to bring calamities upon those against whom it was directed. In the religious texts and works we see how magic is made to be the handmaiden of religion, and how it appears in certain passages side by side with the most exalted spiritual conceptions; and there can be no doubt that the chief object of magical books and ceremonies was to benefit those who had by some means attained sufficient knowledge to make use of them. But the Egyptians were unfortunate enough not to be understood by many of the strangers who found their way into their country, and as a result wrong and exaggerated ideas of their religion were circulated among the surrounding nations, and the magical ceremonies which were performed at their funerals were represented by the ignorant either as silly acts of superstition or as tricks of the "black" art. But whereas the magic of every other nation of the ancient East was directed entirely against the powers of darkness, and was invented in order to frustrate their fell designs by invoking a class of benevolent beings to their aid, the Egyptians aimed being able to command their gods to work for them, and to compel them to appear at their desire. These great results were to be obtained by the use of certain words which, to be efficacious, must be uttered in a proper tone of voice by a duly qualified man; such words might be written upon some substance, papyrus, precious stones, and the like, and worn on the person, when their effect could be transmitted to any distance. As almost every man, woman, and child in Egypt who could afford it wore some such charm or talisman, it is not to be wondered at that the Egyptians were at a very early period regarded as a nation of magicians and sorcerers. Hebrew, and Greek, and Roman writers referred to them as experts in the occult sciences, and as the possessors of powers which could, according to circumstances, be employed to do either good or harm to man.

Salama, you silly Arab, stop claiming the Ancient Egyptians culture if you are going to demean its true "Afro" customs like magic!

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 09 June 2005).]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Is violence in your gene?

Is ignorance in yours?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
I say again, is ignorance in your genes, Salama?...

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 11 June 2005).]

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Djehuti,

You seem to be the only logical creature among these aliens.

Yes, Egyptians priests well supreme in magic-they were able to turn the stick into a snake, but we did not have BLACK magic, no, no, no.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Execration magic was no different than what you call ''black magic'' You made a clay model of your enemy and modled it and broke it. Plus you made wax figures of people and burnt it to inflict damage on the person.

Ancient Egyptians had alot of pratices that modern Egyptians would be ashmed of. You ever heard of the Cannibal Hymn of Unas where Unas brags about eating the insides of a fallen enemy.

Early dyanstic Egyptians even had human sacrifice.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
COBRA
Member # 7318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for COBRA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Execration magic was no different than what you call ''black magic'' You made a clay model of your enemy and modled it and broke it. Plus you made wax figures of people and burnt it to inflict damage on the person.

Ancient Egyptians had alot of pratices that modern Egyptians would be ashmed of. You ever heard of the Cannibal Hymn of Unas where Unas brags about eating the insides of a fallen enemy.

INTERATING....YOU HAD TO STOP THERE DIDN'T YOU.

MAN GO INTO DETAIL. I GOT MY SHIASA READY.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:

Yes, in the Holywood movies.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:

Yes, in the Holywood movies.

Nope, according to recent archaeological finds human sacrifice was praticed by early dyanstic Egyptians. You might want to read the following article:

Early Egyptians sacrificed humans

Simultaneous burials

By John Noble Wilford
NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

April 7, 2004

When ancient Egypt was on the threshold of greatness about 5,000 years ago, the rulers were already wielding fateful powers over life and death and obsessing over their own afterlife. The haunting evidence has lain buried for ages in the parched sands of Abydos, resting place of the earliest Pharaohs known to history.

In excavations over the last two years, archaeologists have recovered that evidence: the remains of human sacrifices.

The practice of human sacrificial burials in Egypt, presumably to coincide with the Pharaoh's own funeral, had long been suspected but never substantiated. Now it has been for the first time. David O'Connor of New York University's Institute of Fine Arts said the discovery was "dramatic proof of the great increase in the prestige and power of both kings and the elite" as early as the first dynasty of the Egyptian civilization, beginning about 2950 B.C.

"This was a critical period of transition, when what had been a relatively small-scale civilization before took a gigantic leap under the ruler Aha," said O'Connor, director of the excavations. "The idea that a king had become so important that you dispatch people to go with him into the afterlife reflected changes in royal power and in religious practice and thinking."

The discovery team, organized by NYU, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania, found six graves next to the ruins of a mortuary ritual site dedicated to the departed Aha, the first Pharaoh of the first dynasty, and not far from his tomb. Five of the graves have been excavated, yielding skeletons of court officials, servants and artisans that appear to have been sacrificed to meet the king's needs in the afterlife.

The researchers said this was the first definite archaeological evidence of such human sacrifices. Similar graves previously found closer to Aha's tomb and the more than 200 others associated with Aha's successor, Djer, are now thought to be almost certainly sacrificial burials as well, O'Connor said.

The findings were described in recent interviews with O'Connor and other members of the expedition.

Simultaneous burials
The construction of the graves, the archaeologists said, was the principal clue to the fate of their occupants. A careful study of the graves associated with Djer indicated that they were all contiguous and had been covered with uninterrupted wooden roofing. The excavators said the burials thus had to have been made at the same time.

Although the graves at the Aha site were separate, their wooden roofs were covered by a continuous mud plaster layer applied at about the same time that the adjacent mortuary ritual structure was erected. "This makes a strong case," O'Connor said, "that all these people died and were put in the graves at the same time."

The graves appeared to have been plundered in antiquity, but the looters were not thorough. They left jars with the royal seals of Aha, remnants of ceramics and jewelry of ivory and imported lapis lazuli.

"I can't describe how exciting that was," said Laurel Bestock, an NYU archaeologist on the dig. "Some of the burials were not just servants of no account but very, very rich people whose names and titles were inscribed on some possessions."

One grave held the bones of donkeys. "The king would need transportation in the afterlife," suggested Matthew Adams, a Penn archaeologist who was the expedition's associate director.

Embarrassing
Emily Teeter, an Egyptologist at the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago who had no role in the research, said the findings "really tell us a lot about the social structure and the belief systems of the early Egyptians."

But the discoveries, Teeter added, "are embarrassing for Egyptologists, who like to stress how relatively humane the ancient Egyptians were."

Egyptologists said the recent excavations by O'Connor's team were rewriting the history of the first dynasty, which ruled almost two centuries. They also added to the growing reputation of Abydos as a lode of archaeological riches only now being systematically explored.

At Abydos, 300 miles south of Cairo, British archaeologists led by William Flinders Petrie in the 1890s were among the first to reconnoiter the ruins, including Aha's tomb. Petrie suspected that the many subsidiary graves were sacrificial burials, but found no persuasive proof, and so he turned his attention to more inviting sites. The simple tombs and mud-brick ruins lacked the grandeur of the later temples and palaces, the pyramids at Giza or the huge tombs in the Valley of the Kings.

In recent years, though, German archaeologists have re-examined the royal tombs at Abydos and found, among other things, evidence of early forms of hieroglyphs from about 3200 B.C. If that date is correct, this would seem to show an earlier Egyptian writing than anything previously known, putting its origins at about the same time as that of the Mesopotamian cuneiform.

Four years ago, O'Connor's group reported finding the buried remains of 14 wooden boats, 5,000-year-old vessels that were part of royal funerary practices related to a Pharaoh's eternal journey in the afterlife. Nearby, the archaeologists also uncovered ruins of walled enclosures surrounding small chapels, which appeared to have been erected in the lifetime of a Pharaoh and used for rituals venerating him.

"No one was prepared for the surprising discovery of the enclosures," Teeter said.

Of the two ritual enclosures recently uncovered, O'Connor said, one was positively identified as belonging to Aha, the successor, perhaps son, of the famous king Narmer of predynastic Egypt. Aha's seal and name, written in the image of a falcon, a symbol of royalty, were found in the ruins. The six subsidiary graves were close by.

O'Connor said the research so far suggested that such human sacrifices in Egypt were a rare custom. No evidence has been found of the practice before Aha, and it apparently ceased before the end of the first dynasty, even though concepts of the afterlife remained virtually unchanged.

Here are some more links about human sacrifice in ancient Egypt:

http://www.nyu.edu/nyutoday/archives/17/11/PageOneStories/archaelogy.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040407/news_1c7egypt.html

http://www.cronaca.com/archives/003419.html

http://www.ancient-egypt.org/glossary/human_sacr.html

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 12 June 2005).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMFO Ausar, Salama is squirming because she caught herself in quite a predicament!! She claims ancient Egyptian culture, yet she chastises so-called "Afro-magic"!! But ancient Egyptian culture is African also and even has the exact same practices!!!

Salama, give it up! You are just a frustrated Arab, stop claiming Egyptian culture if you don't like African culture, because baby they are one and the same!!

The "magic" of the Egyptians was of two kinds: (1) that which was employed for legitimate purposes and with the idea of benefiting either the living or the dead, and (2) that which was made use of in the furtherance of nefarious plots and schemes and was intended to bring calamities upon those against whom it was directed.

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 12 June 2005).]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Ausar, how about you give us more info about Afro, I mean Egypto magic..

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member

I read a rather interesting book entitled Mechanics of Ancient Egyptian Magic by Robert Rither. In this book he breaks down different methods used in ancient Kemetian[Egyptian] magical pratices from encicling,spitting,licking ,and etc..

You might want to check out this book if you can.

SAOC 54.
The Mechanics of Ancient Egyptian Magical Practice. (Third Printing, 1997)
R. K. Ritner.

To date, no comprehensive treatment of Egyptian magic has focused on the practice of the magician. Both general studies and textual publications have emphasized instead the religious elements in the contents of recited spells, while the accompanying instructions, with their vignettes and lists of materials, instruments, and ritual actions, remained uninvestigated. This study represents the first critical examination of such "magical techniques," revealing their widespread appearance and pivotal significance for all Egyptian "religious" practices from the earliest periods through the Coptic era, influencing as well the Greco-Egyptian magical papyri. The author also discusses the "pagan-Egyptian " influence on Old and New Testament practices and in the lives of the Coptic Desert Fathers. The third edition is a reprinting of the second, which included minor corrections from the original edition.

This volume is a significant revisionist approach to ancient Egyptian magic . As a result of a methodical analysis of both the textual and archaeological records, Ritner concludes that the boundaries between ancient Egyptian magic , religion, and medicine were not as strictly observed as modern commentators believe. Furthermore, he categorically denies the frequent attempts of moderns to define ancient Egyptian magic as a phenomenon dealing with the supernatural, practiced primarily for nefarious purposes sub rosa by individuals outside of the religious mainstream. Ritner's engaging prose style and felicitous exegesis of even the most arcane material make for easy reading. But more important still, the content of the work ensures that it will become a vital reference tool for all engaged in any aspect of ancient Egyptian religion. [From a review by R. S. Bianchi in Journal of the American Oriental Society 114 (1994) 513-14].

* ISBN 0-918986-75-3 (paperback)
* Published 1993

http://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/DEPT/PUB/CATALOG/SAOC54.html

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
according to recent archaeological finds human sacrifice was praticed by early dyanstic Egyptians.

Again, this is just like the ritual sacrifice practiced in other African societies! The sacrificial victims are usually enemies, often prisoners of war or threat to the state. A couple of sources I've read described how the victims were killed and said that the most common weapon used in the ritual was a pear-shaped mace which would deliver a deathblow to the victim's head!! Sound familar? This same pear-shaped mace is seen in the Narmer Palette and is found in many of the elite pre-dynastic graves. Other times the victims would be killed using a type of sickle similar to the kind used for agricultural purpose of cutting wheat. Perhaps this second method reflects an agricultural ritual using spilled blood for fertility? Many Egyptian soldiers carry the sickle as part of their arsenal as well and would use it to chop off the hands of their enemies. According to the sources I've read they collected the hands as trophies. I've noticed that other peoples in Africa practice this exact same custom of collecting the enemies' hands. I truly believe there is a significant spiritual belief in the reason for this custom, similar to the collecting of heads (head-hunting) in some Asian cultures or the collecting of scalps in Native American cultures. The custom may be a way of taking power away from the enemy in his afterlife and/or a way of increasing one's own spiritual power.

quote:
..You ever heard of the Cannibal Hymn of Unas where Unas brags about eating the insides of a fallen enemy.

I have heard of this but only as a rumor! Could you tell us more about this? Does it have to do with the cult of the baboon god of ferocity, Babi?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

AE soliders would cut off the hands of fallen enemies in battle to keep a census record. I am not certain if any had a symbolic or ritualistic meaning. I have heard that captives of war were often killed infront of deities. This has not been conclusively proven.

The example of native American scalping is something that Europeans actually introduced to Native Americans. Not an authenic pratice of their own.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
The example of native American scalping is something that Europeans actually introduced to Native Americans. Not an authenic pratice of their own.

Not so. Many Native Americans believe taking the scalp of an enemy takes away their power to haunt them as ghosts, however only worthy adversaries were considered a spiritual threat and were scalped. Despite many white settlers' exaggerated accounts, not many white men were actually scalped! Also, it was the other way around-- white settlers adopted scalping from the Native Americans. They did not understand it's religious or spiritual purpose and just thought it was a custom of savagery, so they themselves used it as such against the Native Americans! Not surprisingly

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Ausar, what are your thoughts on the use of the pear-shaped mace for sacrifice?

Interestingly, Diop's theory was right as usual, when he interpreted the pallete depiction of Narmer smitting his Delta foe with his mace, as being some kind of ritual sacrifice honoring the gods for his victory.

quote:

I find the execration rites to be the most interesting of all! To think, this stereotypical 'Voodoo' custom is widespread not only in "Sub-Sahara" but was also practiced by the ancient Egyptians!!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

This execration ritual was actually documented in the Old Testament in Jeremiah. He makes a flask out of clay,says some incantations,and then smashes it to inflict damge upon his enemies.

mshauri
Member # 7966

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for mshauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by COBRA:
[B]yo ladies, FORGET ABOUT WHITE MEN.

SOMALI MEN IS WERE ITS AT.

You are joking?!!

It's utterly-stupendous how MUCH energy you put into hate and the likes of it !!!
What's wrong with Somali people Salama ?
I wonder how you would feel if people talked about ARABS or more specificly Women..?
oohhhhhh- but that's a whole new can of worms baby :-)
I feel SALAMA-or better yet SALOMI girl has some serious identity issues..
I bet if you actually stopped and looked within yourself-deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep down past all that bottled hate you would sense that what you write is quite shamefull..
I imagine you hiding behind your WHITE boyfriend to gain some sense of false social exceptance, and at the same time leaving your own self wortth behind you..
I'm not saying that there is something wrong with dating outside your ethnicity,.. It's just your words, your attitude is truly mis guided..
I DONT HATE YOU SALOMI GIRL- TRULY I DONT HAVE THE ENERGY TO HATE :-) I JUST SENSE THAT MAYBE YOU HATE YOURSELF.....
HERE I DEDICATE MY POEM TO YOU TONIGHT-THOUGH I DID NOT WRITE FOR YOU,BUT FOR THE LIKES OF YOU.....

Satori

Your doing it again(thinking),those thoughts will take you away.
Now sleeping in time(narcosis)then roam the grave inside.
Your denial is great(wiseacre)based all your dreams on lie's.
The master is love(forgiveness),walks the earth in peace.
The fool is the one (talking)timorous painter of doom.
well,if you embrace(simplicity)you'll witness our world of sham.
well, lets join our hearts(forever)to quote the essence of peace.
our society which throes(ascetic)it's ferule we'll ash,touche.
So,lets set our trist(our sedition)the tempest we'll chase away.
At first we will seem(esoteric)though truth in life wont die.
lead your own path to(rightousness) sharing our dreams in life.
well,lets live our own(visions)the sapient soul to be.
Our quest never ends(endless)death is no end at all.
A trice would be bliss(your foolish)slowly you'll find the keys.
Never fill to the brim(just enough)the media who kills,you fall.

Mshauri

Copyright ©2005 Mshauri

Posts: 39 | From: berkeley | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Egyptian-magic"!!

Ancient Egyptian Magic

The "magic" of the Egyptians was of two kinds: (1) that which was employed for legitimate purposes and with the idea of benefiting either the living or the dead, and (2) that which was made use of in the furtherance of nefarious plots and schemes and was intended to bring calamities upon those against whom it was directed. In the religious texts and works we see how magic is made to be the handmaiden of religion, and how it appears in certain passages side by side with the most exalted spiritual conceptions; and there can be no doubt that the chief object of magical books and ceremonies was to benefit those who had by some means attained sufficient knowledge to make use of them. But the Egyptians were unfortunate enough not to be understood by many of the strangers who found their way into their country, and as a result wrong and exaggerated ideas of their religion were circulated among the surrounding nations, and the magical ceremonies which were performed at their funerals were represented by the ignorant either as silly acts of superstition or as tricks of the "black" art. But whereas the magic of every other nation of the ancient East was directed entirely against the powers of darkness, and was invented in order to frustrate their fell designs by invoking a class of benevolent beings to their aid, the Egyptians aimed being able to command their gods to work for them, and to compel them to appear at their desire. These great results were to be obtained by the use of certain words which, to be efficacious, must be uttered in a proper tone of voice by a duly qualified man; such words might be written upon some substance, papyrus, precious stones, and the like, and worn on the person, when their effect could be transmitted to any distance. As almost every man, woman, and child in Egypt who could afford it wore some such charm or talisman, it is not to be wondered at that the Egyptians were at a very early period regarded as a nation of magicians and sorcerers. Hebrew, and Greek, and Roman writers referred to them as experts in the occult sciences, and as the possessors of powers which could, according to circumstances, be employed to do either good or harm to man.

Salama, you silly Arab, stop claiming the Ancient Egyptians culture if you are going to demean its true "Afro" customs like magic!  -

quote:

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
bump..

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

'Magical figurines were thought to be more effective if they incorporated something from the intended victim, such as hair, nail-clippings or bodily fluids.

Curses

Though magic was mainly used to protect or heal, the Egyptian state also practised destructive magic. The names of foreign enemies and Egyptian traitors were inscribed on clay pots, tablets, or figurines of bound prisoners. These objects were then burned, broken, or buried in cemeteries in the belief that this would weaken or destroy the enemy.

In major temples, priests and priestesses performed a ceremony to curse enemies of the divine order, such as the chaos serpent Apophis - who was eternally at war with the creator sun god. Images of Apophis were drawn on papyrus or modelled in wax, and these images were spat on, trampled, stabbed and burned. Anything that remained was dissolved in buckets of urine. The fiercest gods and goddesses of the Egyptian pantheon were summoned to fight with, and destroy, every part of Apophis, including his soul (ba) and his heka. Human enemies of the kings of Egypt could also be cursed during this ceremony.

'This kind of magic was turned against King Ramesses III by a group of priests, courtiers and harem ladies. These conspirators got hold of a book of destructive magic from the royal library, and used it to make potions, written spells and wax figurines with which to harm the king and his bodyguards. Magical figurines were thought to be more effective if they incorporated something from the intended victim, such as hair, nail-clippings or bodily fluids. The treacherous harem ladies would have been able to obtain such substances but the plot seems to have failed. The conspirators were tried for sorcery and condemned to death.

Protection

Angry deities, jealous ghosts, and foreign demons and sorcerers were thought to cause misfortunes such as illness, accidents, poverty and infertility. Magic provided a defence system against these ills for individuals throughout their lives.

Stamping, shouting, and making a loud noise with rattles, drums and tambourines were all thought to drive hostile forces away from vulnerable women, such as those who were pregnant or about to give birth, and from children - also a group at risk, liable to die from childhood diseases.

Supernatural fighters, such as the lion-dwarf Bes and the hippopotamus goddess Taweret, were represented on furniture and household items. Their job was to protect the home, especially at night when the forces of chaos were felt to be at their most powerful.

Bes and Taweret also feature in amuletic jewellery. Egyptians of all classes wore protective amulets, which could take the form of powerful deities or animals, or use royal names and symbols. Other amulets were designed to magically endow the wearer with desirable qualities, such as long life, prosperity and good health. [Source]

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^A perfect addition to this thread. [Smile]

Magic and its practice is a very fascinating aspect of Egyptian culture, however we hardly hear anything about it in mainstream academia!

I wonder why. [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com