EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Bantus, Berbers, East Africans, Northeast Africans, Sub-Saharan Africans...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bantus, Berbers, East Africans, Northeast Africans, Sub-Saharan Africans...
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed that terms like Bantu, Berber, East Africa, North East Africa, West Africa are now tossed around like 'races'.

These are references to either language groups or regions, not 'races'. Geographical references like East Africa, North East Africa, or West Africa, are regions, and just that.

Physical diversity exists in regions west to east, north to south in Africa. When you hear people here say "East Africa", it is apparent from their comments that, they immediately think of the likes of "Cushitic" speakers, and then associate the rest of the region with the so-called "elongated" Africans. Some single out West Africa, as representative of the "forest Negro", and this no doubt, plays into the fact that various Somalis on this board vainly disassociate themselves from "West Africans", and what they perceive to be "Bantus". Some folks even interchange West Africa, with "Bantu", even though, not all west Africans are Bantu speakers. Likewise, others associate east Africa with Semitic and Cushitic speakers, even though, not all east Africans speak these languages. Same thing with Berbers; people like to associate it with 'race', with no basis whatsoever, even though, it is clearly a reference to a language group.

The level of geographical knowledge expressed from time to time on this board, is astonishing: Since when did the Horn of African countries, like Somalia, become Northeast Africa? Does this then mean, Senegal or Mali are Northwest Africa? I don't know how many times, I've heard people, even those, who claim to be Africans, point to Ethiopia or Somalia as "northeast" Africa. I bet primary school kids can do better!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
I've noticed that terms like Bantu, Berber, East Africa, North East Africa, West Africa are now tossed around like 'races'.

These are references to either language groups or regions, not 'races'. Geographical references like East Africa, North East Africa, or West Africa, are regions, and just that.

Physical diversity exists in regions west to east, north to south in Africa. When you hear people here say "East Africa", it is apparent from their comments that, they immediately think of the likes of "Cushitic" speakers, and then associate the rest of the region with the so-called "elongated" Africans. Some single out West Africa, as representative of the "forest Negro", and this no doubt, plays into the fact that various Somalis on this board vainly disassociate themselves from "West Africans", and what they perceive to be "Bantus". Some folks even interchange West Africa, with "Bantu", even though, not all west Africans are Bantu speakers. Likewise, others associate east Africa with Semitic and Cushitic speakers, even though, not all east Africans speak these languages. Same thing with Berbers; people like to associate it with 'race', with no basis whatsoever, even though, it is clearly a reference to a language group.

The level of geographical knowledge expressed from time to time on this board, is astonishing: Since when did the Horn of African countries, like Somalia, become [b]North
east Africa? Does this then mean, Senegal or Mali are Northwest Africa? I don't know how many times, I've heard people, even those, who claim to be Africans, point to Ethiopia or Somalia as "northeast" Africa. I bet primary school kids can do better!

[/B]

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The level of geographical knowledge expressed from time to time on this board, is astonishing: Since when did the Horn of African countries, like Somalia, become Northeast Africa? Does this then mean, Senegal or Mali are Northwest Africa? I don't know how many times, I've heard people, even those, who claim to be Africans, point to Ethiopia or Somalia as "northeast" Africa. I bet primary school kids can do better!

Supercar, you are indeed correct!

I personally feel it is a hang-over from the colonial days, when Africa was carved up and divided by Europeans, and it was these same Europeans that came up with all these false racial terms and bull****! All these Africans, including Egytpians and Somalians, need to get over it!!

We kind of had the same problem in Asia but it wasn't as bad, probably because physical features in Africa are a lot more diverse.

It's time we stop letting Europeans define us and give up these silly racial and ethnic labels that Europeans gave us!!!

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 10 June 2005).]

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by relaxx:

Relaxx, you should know better than to allow that rubbish you posted, to tell you what is North Africa, and what isn't, especially, if you claim to be an African:

Here is the map of Africa, that even primary school kids can figure out:

Look at those west African countries, like Mali, Niger, etc, and then look at the Horn of Africa. Based on your logic, we might as well say Senegal, Ghana and the like, are Northwest Africa!

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 09 June 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supercar is correct!!

The way the regions of Africa are divided are a matter of semantics!

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Relaxx, you should know better than to allow that rubbish you posted, to tell you what is North Africa, and what isn't, especially, if you claim to be an African:

Here is the map of Africa, that even primary school kids can figure out:

Look at those west African countries, like Mali, Niger, etc, and then look at the Horn of Africa. Based on your logic, we might as well say Senegal, Ghana and the like, are Northwest Africa!

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 09 June 2005).]

Well, the time it took you to find the map above show how much knowledgeable you are, it's very subjective to pinpoint exactly North East Africa. Your map might be correct...or mine...who knows...primary school kids...let's move on my friend.
Relaxx
You like details ...

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, the time it took you to find the map above show how much knowledgeable you are, it's very subjective to pinpoint exactly North East Africa. Your map might be correct...or mine...who knows...primary school kids...let's move on my friend.
Relaxx
You like details ...

Unlike you, I don't spend my entire time on the internet. I have other business in life to take care of, just in case, you are wondering. For new posters like yourself, it isn't the first time, I've pointed out geographically illiterate folks like yourself, nor is it the first time, I have shown the map of Africa specifically for that purpose. Check out the archives. Your wild spins won't help you in any way. There is no, 'your map" ...or "mine is correct" situation here. There is the map of Africa, along with its nation states, and you have been shown to be intellectually bankrupt in your claims. Period!

The last thing we need, is to have innocent young minds exposed to fallacies spewed by the likes of you! On the other hand, I bet most primary schools kids can give you a lesson or two in geography, considering the level of knowledge you express on this subject!

relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
quote:
Unlike you, I don't spend my entire time on the internet. I have other business in life to take care of, just in case, you are wondering. For [b]new posters like yourself, it isn't the first time, I've pointed out geographically illiterate folks like yourself, nor is it the first time, I have shown the map of Africa specifically for that purpose. Check out the archives. Your wild spins won't help you in any way. There is no, 'your map" ...or "mine is correct" situation here. There is the map of Africa, along with its nation states, and you have been shown to be intellectually bankrupt in your claims. Period!

The last thing we need, is to have innocent young minds exposed to fallacies spewed by the likes of you! On the other hand, I bet most primary schools kids can give you a lesson or two in geography, considering the level of knowledge you express on this subject!

[/B]

Thank you...let's move on...
Relaxx

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

Thank you...let's move on...
Relaxx

You are welcome. The topic was opened specifically to address fallacies propagated by your likes.

Jizan
Member # 7861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jizan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt ,Sudan ,Ethiopia ,Eritrea ,Somalia and Djibouti are north east africa.(Libya and Chad maybe they are more in the middle)

[This message has been edited by Jizan (edited 10 June 2005).]

Posts: 191 | From: Europe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jizan
Member # 7861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jizan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://officialsite.com/maps/NorthEast_af.gif

http://www.swicofil.com/images/newnortheastafrica.gif

Posts: 191 | From: Europe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Relaxx has something against North Africa. From most of his post you seem to want to detach North Africa away from Africa. The map you posted is an expample.

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waryaa
Member # 7735

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Waryaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The last thing we need, is to have innocent young minds exposed to fallacies spewed by the likes of you!

Caught on his down pants! Kikikikiki. Ahahahaha. He can only expose the lack of his own knowledge he generally has when it comes to Africans, and particularly the people of Horn of Africa and North Africa. He is susceptible and prone to futile, incoherent arguments; note that.

Posts: 73 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Waryaa:
Caught on his down pants! Kikikikiki. Ahahahaha. He can only expose the lack of his own knowledge he generally has when it comes to Africans, and particularly the people of Horn of Africa and North Africa. He is susceptible and prone to futile, incoherent arguments; note that.

Thank you Mr Benadiir.
Relaxx

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Waryaa:

Frankly, It isn't so much as to teach urine-drained street rats like you, for anyone with two eyes can look at an entire map of the continent, rather than, a copy and paste bullshit of a portion of the entire landmass, and see how mentally deranged you truly are. Rather, I like to expose lowlifes like you. I suppose, Kenya might now be also North Africa, not to mention Cameroon, Senegal, Nigeria, Chad, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Guinea, etc.

Evolution has escaped the likes of Waryaa and relaxx, who claim to be Africans, but in reality are a complete disgrace to such a name. There is no need using reason and logic with your likes, as we can see, it is completely alien to you.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that the way Westerners divide Africa is not only very superficial but is a matter of pure semantics!!!

On the map north is up, south is down, east is right, west is left, so the question is how do you name and divide what countries belong into what regions?!! Who decides where north begins and south ends?? Where does central end and east begin??

Jizz's so-called "Northeast Africa":

Back then, Libya and Egypt were designated as being part of "North Africa", while the other countries: Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, and Djibouti were all designated as part of "East Africa"!

So what about the western part of the continent? There is the region of West Africa and North Africa (the Maghreb), so why isn't there a "Northwest Africa"?

The borders of Mauritania and Mali stretch farther north than Sudan, so why are they considered as being simply "West African" countries and not "Northwest African countries"?!! Heck, why isn't there a "Southwest Africa" or "Southeast Africa"??!!

So you see the non-logic in dividing the continent into these so-named regions! Pig-jizz is just as confused over geography as he is with 'racial' classifications!! LOL

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
The problem is that the way Westerners divide Africa is not only very superficial but is a matter of pure semantics!!!

On the map north is up, south is down, east is right, west is left, so the question is [b]how do you name and divide what countries belong into what regions?!! Who decides where north begins and south ends?? Where does central end and east begin??

I agree with you, on the screwed up Eurocentric division of Africa. For instance, you have the so-called sub-Saharan Africa, which is meant to be separated from the so-called North. Most of those nations you see on that map, are divisions of European imperialism, that African leaders, who were claiming to gain independence, never addressed. As a result, in various spots, you have civil wars and unrest. Consistency is the key here, that is, if one is going to use constructs like west, east, north, and south. Those countries within the same latitudes should be termed in a consistent manner, not in a hypocritical way of saying that, some are in the north, while others aren't.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 10 June 2005).]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again I ask :Who decides where north begins and south ends?? Where does central end and east begin??
quote:
...you have the so-called sub-Saharan Africa, which is meant to be separated from the so-called North.

It is becoming even more ridiculous now that even newer maps have shrunk "Sub-Sahara"!! Did you know that now, because of the silly designation of "Northeast Africa", Ethiopia and Somalia are no longer designated as "Sub-Saharan" countries, even though both of them are way below the Sahara, yet Senegal is still "Sub-Saharan" even though it is directly in the Sahara!!!

What kind of load of B.S. is that?!! LOL It is hilarious, really!

Jizan
Member # 7861

Rate Member
You idiot's Ethiopia and Somolia are sub saharan countries...and they are geographically north east africa.
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Djehuti:
It is becoming even more ridiculous now that even newer maps have shrunk "Sub-Sahara"!! Did you know that now, because of the silly designation of "Northeast Africa", Ethiopia and Somalia are no longer designated as "Sub-Saharan" countries, even though both of them are way below the Sahara, yet Senegal is still "Sub-Saharan" even though it is directly in the Sahara!!!

What kind of load of B.S. is that?!! LOL It is hilarious, really!

Well, lets take a look at examples of the official view of these divisions of Africa:

This is courtesy of the World Bank

According to USAID, this is sub-Saharan Africa, the countries in darker shade, not just the ones in yellow, recieving 'aid':

Source: http://www.usaid.gov/locations/sub-saharan_africa/countries/

According to the UN, these are the sub-Saharan African countries:

Countries within the region
Angola
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros
Congo
Congo DR
Côte d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Kenya
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Niger
Nigeria
Rwanda
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Somalia
South Africa
Swaziland
Tanzania (United Republic of)
Togo
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Source: http://www.unaids.org/EN/Geographical+Area/By+Region/sub-saharan+africa.asp

Derechos: Human rights, tells us that this is sub-Saharan Africa:

Source: http://www.derechos.org/human-rights/afr/

At this point, one should begin to see the point. Now, of course, to me, the whole notion of manipulating 'sub-Sahara' to mean anything other than a mere geographical reference, is one big fraud, and has no real merit. Africans on the Sahara, south of it, above it, or whatever, haven't in the past, nor now, been completely disassociated from one another. History, genealogy, linguistics and politics are all testament to this.

Jizan
Member # 7861

Rate Member
East Africa
South africa(Part), Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana(Part), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, D.R Congo (part), Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt

South East Africa.
South africa(Part), Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana(Part), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, D.R Congo (part), Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya

North East Africa
Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt

Sub Saharan East Africa
South africa(Part), Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana(Part), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, D.R Congo (part), Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan

Non-Sub Saharan East Africa
Egypt

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Jizan:
East Africa
South africa(Part), Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana(Part), Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, D.R Congo (part), Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt

South East Africa.
South africa(Part), Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana(Part), Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, D.R Congo (part), Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya

North East Africa
Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt

Sub Saharan East Africa
South africa(Part), Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana(Part), Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, D.R Congo (part), Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan

Non-Sub Saharan East Africa
Egypt

Does Jizan mean mentally 'unstable'? Just wondering.

A mere look at your posting, shows just how real my reference to your mental state is.

First of all, you don't even have a northwest Africa, much less north Africa. Forget west and southwest Africa?

Secondly, the mere fact that you've put the Horn of Africa countries within the sub-Saharan bracket, tells the informed one, that we are dealing with countries, starting from some sort of a demarcation, which in this case happens to be the Sahara.

This begs the question; precisely from where, do you consider the north, and from where do you consider the south? What are your personal (apparently not official) points of reference, in determining what is north or south, and west or east?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Does Jizan mean mentally 'unstable'? Just wondering.

A mere look at your posting, shows just how real my reference to your mental state is.

First of all, you don't even have a [b]northwest Africa, much less north Africa. Forget west and southwest Africa?
[/B]

LOL pig-jizz is going by nonsensical Eurocentric classifications. Why else does he consider Horn of Africans including Somalis to be mixed-race people. He cannot even define what is "caucasoid" and uses bankrupt terms like "caucasoid features".

It's no surprise that jizz would use bankrupt geographic terms as well.

multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jizan:
You idiot's Ethiopia and Somolia are sub saharan countries...and they are geographically north east africa.

Your the idiot, he never said they are, he is saying what others are saying.

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com