This is topic Ancient Egyptian and east african hair styles. in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005508

Posted by Nefar (Member # 13890) on :

Does anybody have any information or pictures of the hairstyles of ancient Egyptian styles and how they are similar to these?

-
 -

-
 -

iF ANYBODY have some info or pictures tell me please
THank YOu
 -

-

Posted by Yonis (Member # 7684) on :

I think most of them weard wigs.

Both genders seem to have shaved their natural hair.

I know many ofwore wigs but I dont think the majority did.

dont some of these styles look similar to the way ancient egyptians portrayed there hair?

Posted by Djehuti (Member # 6698) on :

^ Ah yes they were wigs and extensions, but exactly what style of wigs were they or how did they look like?

Ancient African styles vs. modern African styles:

-
 -

-
 -

-
 -

-
 -

All of this, by the way, was discussed before as recently as here.

wow fascinating! I always thought most of it was natural. but then again.
This  -
looks kinda similar to this
 -

Im sorry for posting this i didn't know it was already discussed before and I coudnt find anything on the search engine. i know you guys hat that.

^ It's okay. This topic hasn't been discussed much, only a few times. It's only when a topic has been discussed too many times that it becomes annoying to create a thread about it again.

Posted by AFRICA I (Member # 13222) on :

Somali have been converted to Islam hundred years ago, Somali women don't have that kind of hairstyle unlike many East African women.Bear in mind that Somali are among the most devout Muslims in East Africa for hundred years...

^ [Confused] What you say makes no sense. Just because a people are Muslim does not mean that the women no longer wear their traditional hairstyles. It's true that as Muslim women, they wear hijab, but that doesn't mean they entirely stopped styling their hair or the custom of braiding. In fact, I have seen many pictures of Somali women wearing not only their traditional hairstyles but even their traditional pre-Islamic attire on special occasions.

Trust me...their hairstyle has been modified...if you look at Somali from Ogaden...they are more authentic in term of hair style...it's pretty much similar to the Afar:
 -
 -
 -
 -
Muslim cover their heads...but Afar are less conservative than Somali, they kept their African traditions...Beside that Somali are more mixed with Arab Yemeni, so they kind of lost a little bit their African heritage compare to the Afar who are usually darker...

^ Somali women do cover their head, but that doesn't mean there are no special occasions when they don't.

-
 -

You are right but your post doesn't contradict what I said they are the most conservative Muslims and are quick to flee from their African heritage compare to other East Africans...there is a large amount of proofs in ES that you witnessed...Oromo who are muslims, Tigre people don't claim an Arab origin unlike some clans in Somalia:Darod and Issaq who constitute like 40% of all Somalis...Somali have more close relationships with Yemeni than any other group to the point than 2 main clans claim an Arab origin...unlike most muslim East Africans...anyway genetics is there to prove it...They have the highest amount of West Asian genes among cushitic speakers...By the way they are a minority among cushitic speakers, so what we observe with Somali is not common among other cushitic speaking people of East Africa...I don't make any judgment, it's their history...
P.S: Why do you think an Ethiopian who must be Amhara(Yom) view himself as a Black African and Yonis who is a Somali Darod doesn't want to be associate with the Black attribute but is OK with the African attribute...even though 99.9999% of human beings view him as a Black African including Yemeni(Somali are sometime called Enta Himar Aswad: you are a black donkey, that's in Yemen). Ask yourself this question. This is not him, it's cultural, he's not alone...a lot of Somali, elders , young people think like him...that reminds me of some guys in Sudan...How do you reconcile the fact that other native Africans view you as Black and your point of view...That's not Yonis point of view it's the point of view of many Somali, especially the ones from the North: Darod and Issaq who are the only Somalis who claim some Arab ancestry...So what Yonis says it's mainly a Northern Somali point of view....

^ You seem to be confusing Islamization with Arabization. Just because a people convert to Islam does not mean they claim Arab ancestry or adopt Arab culture save those elements prescribed by Islamic practices. There are many Muslims, not just in Africa, but around the world who still maintain their old traditions. The Somalis are no exception.

Google up Darod, Issaq...they constitute like 40% of Somali...please do that, do some research...don't be lazy...Yonis is Darod...

Posted by Macawiis_Bile_Nigiish (Member # 11724) on :

Nefar nice images sister thanks

Djehuti ignore him, of his 375 posts 374 contain the word Somali accompanied by theories on how they think,sleep,internet,walk,dress

their full of his personal emotions and their old and boring

about the Saints myths i think my compatriot makes a strong point regarding these myths when he compares them with other Somali myths;

There are 114 historic mountains scattered in the Doi belt that have religious significance to the Reewiin Society. On the top of each mountain there are burial sites for holy men where annual pilgrimages,syaro are still made by the local people. The names of these holy men are Islamic and Arabic like owul Qasim at the peak of Bur Haybe, next to owul Qasim there is the tomb of Abdulqadir Al-Jilani and not far from those two tombs, there is a cave site for Abka Eden iyo Abbay Haawa(Adam and Eve). About 60 miles Northeast of Bur Haybe there is Bur Gerwiine; there are the tombs of the four holy Ahmeds and holy woman Edeegow known to the local people as Affarta Emed Osobka yaala Abay Edeegow Shanaayti(the four Ahmeds and Edeego that are burried in the Virgin land). It is also striking to find in the interriver region the popular cult of women saints which is alien to the male chauvinists of the world of Islam. In addition to Abay Edeegow of Bur Gerwiine there are the shrines of Imbiyow Hassan Diinow in Abdurug and Dada Ma Siti in Barawa just to mention a few. Evidently the number of the historic mountains is drawn from the 114 Q'uranic surahs(or chapters). The local tradition holds that these mountains migrated from Arabia with their shrines- Ali Jimale Ahmed -Islam in Somali History: Fact and Fiction

Saints migrating to Somalia?...well since there at it, heck they might aswell take their own mountains and shrines with them in the process eh?

LOL at Africa talking shaiyt as usual.lol

First of all Darod and Issaq were pure somalis even though some later muslim clerics tried to make them arabs so to come closer to the prophet. But they were somali patriarchs, you should take these islamists with a grain of salt. For the most time things are based on religious issues, i even hear indonesians and chinese muslims on north east china claim descendants from Yemen, so just to claim relationship to the prophet.

I personnaly don't buy any of this BS since i'm not that religious. But i can trace my ancestry back quite far so i don't discredit it totally like the sub-clan of mine. I can for instance trace names of my paternal lineage atleast untill the 15th century using 40 years as interval betweeen two names (generation). This is something we learn through our grandmother when we are very young, like my grandfathers name his fathers name, his father's father's name etc untill the point it's not known, some can make it to the 14th-13th century.
It can also connect different families, like when we intersect through same ancestral siblings and during which period, very effective. Many of these are written in arabo/somali script, but majority are memorized through grandmothers, and these grandmas always do their duty correctly. [Smile]

quote:
Yonis who is a Somali Darod doesn't want to be associate with the Black attribute but is OK with the African attribute...even though 99.9999% of human beings view him as a Black African including Yemeni(Somali are sometime called Enta Himar Aswad: you are a black donkey, that's in Yemen).
Never heard of "Enta Himar Aswad".
You think i give a damn on what Yemeni call somalis? Who are they, fucking little Eritrea whooped their ass on the two days war where they had to appeal to the Hague court in Europe so to intervine against the "Eritrean agression".

If Somalia as a united force went to war with Yemen i'm quite sure that land would be barren today.
They might feel we owe them since southern Moqdishu somalis flee to their country due to the insecurity and turmoil there, but they know in the future they are gonna be very dependent on the horn when things settles.

Thats why they are already planning to build a bridge between Aden and Djibouti (across the gulf of aden).
Most of the finance will come from Yemen and these oil rich countries, in particular Dubai.

Article relating

quote:
P.S: Why do you think an Ethiopian who must be Amhara(Yom) view himself as a Black African and Yonis who is a Somali Darod doesn't want to be associate with the Black
Why should i identify as "black"? I doubt even Yom himself identifies as "black". Why would he, i see no logic in it? Do you as kikuyu identify as "black" outside this board, I really don't think so? on second thought maybe you would.

quote:
Enta Himar Aswad
Ask any guy from Djibouti who went to Yemen for enough time or lived there. They are very familiar with that term, but I think it's just a teasing...
P.S: I'm not a kikuyu(your obsession with Bantu), I don't view myself as Black within an African context, but I feel Black, view myself as Black and I think it's healthy since 99.999% of the world view me as Black. But I understand that in some cultures including Yonis and maybe others in Horn it is not a well defined identity. Which is quite strange since their lighter neighbors (Yemeni) view them as Black.
I'm not blaming anybody like Rasol, it's part of the culture, and I think your right, but there are few Ethiopians that I know who are more at ease with being viewed as Black compare to Somali. But Yonis is correct, there is also a bunch who don't want to be associated with that term. Maybe it's related to the hue of skin, since many Horners are lighter than the average African. I don't know.

^ You guys are beginning to stray off topic here. And everyone is right about you AFRICA -- you do make generalizations and allegations about African peoples, especially Somalis. The Somali posters in here have already called you out on that. I suggest you quit while you can. [Embarrassed] `

quote:
Originally posted by Macawiis_Bile_Nigiish:

...about the Saints myths i think my compatriot makes a strong point regarding these myths when he compares them with other Somali myths;

There are 114 historic mountains scattered in the Doi belt that have religious significance to the Reewiin Society. On the top of each mountain there are burial sites for holy men where annual pilgrimages,syaro are still made by the local people. The names of these holy men are Islamic and Arabic like owul Qasim at the peak of Bur Haybe, next to owul Qasim there is the tomb of Abdulqadir Al-Jilani and not far from those two tombs, there is a cave site for Abka Eden iyo Abbay Haawa(Adam and Eve). About 60 miles Northeast of Bur Haybe there is Bur Gerwiine; there are the tombs of the four holy Ahmeds and holy woman Edeegow known to the local people as Affarta Emed Osobka yaala Abay Edeegow Shanaayti(the four Ahmeds and Edeego that are burried in the Virgin land). It is also striking to find in the interriver region the popular cult of women saints which is alien to the male chauvinists of the world of Islam. In addition to Abay Edeegow of Bur Gerwiine there are the shrines of Imbiyow Hassan Diinow in Abdurug and Dada Ma Siti in Barawa just to mention a few. Evidently the number of the historic mountains is drawn from the 114 Q'uranic surahs(or chapters). The local tradition holds that these mountains migrated from Arabia with their shrines- Ali Jimale Ahmed -Islam in Somali History: Fact and Fiction

Saints migrating to Somalia?...well since there at it, heck they might aswell take their own mountains and shrines with them in the process eh?

This whole 'Saints' tradition is very much a pre-Islamic African custom. The same practice is found in rural parts of Egypt and Sudan, where the people would make pilgrimages to the gravesites of these saints. There is one graveyard of saints in northern Sudan, where newly married women would make a pilgrimage to the graves, especially of female saints, and sit on them and pray for fertility.

quote:
I suggest you quit while you can.
I can't...Did you google it up?

quote:
This whole 'Saints' tradition is very much a pre-Islamic African custom.
quote:
The names of these holy men are Islamic and Arabic like owul Qasim at the peak of Bur Haybe, next to owul Qasim there is the tomb of Abdulqadir Al-Jilani and not far from those two tombs, there is a cave site for Abka Eden iyo Abbay Haawa(Adam and Eve).
You are confusing us Djehuti with your generalizations.

^ It is not confusing if you know about cultural evolution. Many traditional customs and practices often become synchronized with new or introduced customs and beliefs. Hence many ancient African traditions are synchronized into introduced Christian or Islamic practices and often adopt Christian or Muslim connotations.

What I said is not a generalization but fact, unlike YOU.

Now, are you going to quit with the silliness and get back to the topic of this thread or what? [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Mansa Musa (Member # 6800) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nefar:
I know many ofwore wigs but I dont think the majority did.

dont some of these styles look similar to the way ancient egyptians portrayed there hair?

From what I have seen many Ancient Egyptian skulls have their hair intact, so while they did wear wigs I don't think it was all that customary to favor wearing a wig with a shaven scalp over natural hair.

Does anyone have a source for the Ancient Egyptians preferring wigs OVER natural hair?

The women in those pictures appear to have natural braids and hairstyles to me.

Saying the Ancient Egyptians wore extensions and wigs on occasion and saying it was their custom to shave their head and wear false hair all the time are too very different statements.

^ Most Egyptians shaved their heads clean and wore wigs for several reasons, the main one was hygenal such as lice prevention. Another reason was for comfort-- it feels better to have a shaven head in the hot climate. And another reason is hairstyling convenience-- its easier to change wigs then to spend long periods having your hair dressed.

But other than that there were exceptions of Egyptians keeping their natural hair. Such as the gentleman below.

-

There are even texts describing Egyptians getting their natural hair plaited and dressed.

quote:
Originally posted by Nefar:

wow fascinating! I always thought most of it was natural. but then again.
This  -
looks kinda similar to this
 -

Yes they look similar, but notice the Egyptian women have hair that appears to go past their shoulders. In actuality most Egyptians usually don't have hair that long which is why they either wore wigs or extensions.

And according to Ausar, there are women in rural Egypt who today still wear extensions.

Posted by Yom (Member # 11256) on :

There is perhaps some relation, but it's not that close, given that Ancient Egyptians mainly wore wigs, while wigs are basically unheard of in East Africa (aside from baboon mane wigs worn by some Oromo groups by the warrior class and Oromo-influenced Shewans).

A possible one would be in the hairstyle of children. Ancient Egyptians shaved the head save for a lock of hair on the head. It tended to be on the side and braided, however, while among Ethiopians & Eritreans, it is more commonly at the front and less often braided (braided styles do exist, though; other styles include a mohawk, three tufts of hair w/one in front and one on each side, etc.). Both Semitic and Cushitic highlanders have this style; although most Afars braid their hair and keep it long, I've noticed that some have related styles, but with braids around the side. The Afars with this style seem to be the closest to the ancient Egyptian one. I'm not sure if this is a case of choice, or a subgroup of the Afar.

Statue of Ancient Egyptian youth w/sidelock:

-

Afar girls in Ethiopia:

-

Afar boy with braided lock:

-

Oromo girl w/ braided lock:

-

Sidama boy:

-

Amhara boy:

-

(there are more examples of each style for each ethnic group in the highlands + Afar, but only 8 images per post allowed)

As for long hair & adults, braids are typical. This is the northern Tigrayan style:

-

Ancient Aksumite depiction:

-

BTW, I consider myself Black, but I consider myself Ethiopian first, of course. Dislike for the term among some Horners isn't solely due to variations in skin color. [Roll Eyes]

BTW, here's another image of the same small Afar village (Kesem, Ethiopia) with a child with locks & other children vs. adults w/Afros:

-

The little girl sort of looks like Gallagher with her haircut and reddish-brown (not Henna) hair [Razz]

-

Posted by Marc Washington (Member # 10979) on :

Wow. Those are really lovely pictures. Hair styles in Egypt, as you know, go way back. Here are some below in the red blocks in pictures 4 through 7:

-
http://www.beforebc.de/Made.by.Humankind/StyledHair3000BC/03-10-12-10.html

And here are others in 1, 4, 5, and 9:

-

http://www.beforebc.de/Made.by.Humankind/StyledHair3000BC/03-10-02-01.html

Thanks for sharing yours. I hope you don't mind if I borrow them?

Marc W.

quote:
Yonis:I doubt even Yom himself identifies as "black". Why would he, i see no logic in it?
quote:
Yom:BTW, I consider myself Black, but I consider myself Ethiopian first, of course. Dislike for the term among some Horners isn't solely due to variations in skin color.
On top of not being black, Yonis is also a liar.
By the way Yom, when you say "isn't solely due to variations in skin color." What else might cause the dislike is it the fact that term is associated with broad faced African? Because there was an incident in the States during segregation when few Somali didn't want to sit in the back of the bus because they didn't view themselves as Black. Well at the end, although genuinely surprised, they had to sit in the back.

Posted by alTakruri (Member # 10195) on :

I've read all your opinions but so far haven't seen
any documentation to back up the premise of an
all pervasive wig wearing Egyptian society.

Is this notion based on anything other than the
"travelogue" of a certain Greek "globetrotter?"

The images could be live hair or wigs. Nothing
in the art distinguishes the one from the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
I think most of them weard wigs.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Ah yes they were wigs and extensions,

quote:
Originally posted by Mansa Musa:
From what I have seen many Ancient Egyptian skulls have their hair intact, so while they did wear wigs I don't think it was all that customary to favor wearing a wig with a shaven scalp over natural hair.

Does anyone have a SOURCE
for the Ancient Egyptians preferring wigs OVER natural hair?

The women in those pictures appear to have natural braids and hairstyles to me.

Saying the Ancient Egyptians wore extensions and wigs on occasion and saying it was their custom to shave their head and wear false hair all the time are too very different statements.

quote:
^ Most Egyptians shaved their heads clean and wore wigs ...

But other than that there were exceptions of Egyptians keeping their natural hair.

In actuality most Egyptians usually don't have hair that long which is why they either wore wigs or extensions.

quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
... given that Ancient Egyptians mainly wore wigs, ...

whoops dupe

quote:
Africa:
Because there was an incident in the States during segregation when few Somali didn't want to sit in the back of the bus because they didn't view themselves as Black. Well at the end, although genuinely surprised, they had to sit in the back.

Source please?
There was no significant somali community in the states during the 60's, let alone in the southern states with jim crow laws and such [Big Grin] Now who's a liar?

quote:
alTakruri:
I've read all your opinions but so far haven't seen
any documentation to back up the premise of an
all pervasive wig wearing Egyptian society.

Well maybe not all but atleast the elite wore wigs, also the commoners popularized this practice.

Egyptian wigs
 -

-

quote:
Wigs, which the Egyptians were very fond of, not only allowed for ornate hair decorating, but also helped the ancient Egyptians with cleanliness, protected the (shaved) scalp from the sun and kept the head cool and also prevented that modern-day scourge—head lice, according to Fletcher. She writes, "Our research has turned up the world’s oldest head lice, which bedeviled an Egyptian from Abydos about 5000 years ago."
http://www.touregypt.net/magazine/mag07012001/magf3.htm

We know they wore wigs. Many cultures wore and
wear wigs. Shoot, it's even a booming industry
today. That doesn't mean all Egypt went baldy
and then over domed with a wig.

Hair allows for ornate hair decorating.
Hair protects the natural hair growing scalp from the sun.
Wooly hair permits ventilation and cooler than straight hair.
Why would a wig be cooler than nappy/kinky hair?
African lice are adapted to traverse oval cross sectioned hair.

So why Egypt a baldy nation while the rest of
the continent bearing the same conditions isn't?

I need documentation indicative of Egypt being a
baldy nation preferably from the egyptians themselves.

Notice the art of Egypt's soldiery at the barber's.
They obviously have their natural hair going on.
 -
 -

And this royal lady is having her braids done.
If she was a wiggy why would she sit there when
the wig could be put on a dummy head and braided?
 -

quote:
Source please?
Brava Somali friends...

Posted by Agluza (Member # 14023) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Boy with Plait
Himba, Namibia, Africa (see note at bottom)

Photo from the book Hair in African Art and Culture, Edit by Roy Sieber and Frank Herreman, The Museum for African Art, New York, 2000. Photo dated: Anneliese Scherz, 1940's

-

Royal Child with Plait;
New Kingdom Ancient Egypt

-

NOTE:

The Republic of Namibia is a country in southwestern Africa, on the Atlantic coast. It is bordered by Angola and Zambia to the north, Botswana to the east, and South Africa to the south.

The San are generally assumed to have been the earliest inhabitants of the region. San rock paintings are among the oldest forms of art found on the African continent.

[Mad] AFRICA I, will you please stop with your generalized nonsense and ridiculous claims, and get back to the topic!!

As for Yom, excellent pics illustrating the commonality in Egyptian children's hairstyles with East Africans.  -

The Himba definitely have locked hair similar to ancient Egyptian youths, but the distance seems too great to make any cultural connection by way of transmittance or common inheritance.

^ Perhaps the common origin between them lies in the distant prehistoric past.

quote:

There is perhaps some relation, but it's not that close, given that Ancient Egyptians mainly wore wigs, while wigs are basically unheard of in East Africa...

They maybe unheard of in East Africa, but they are a common cultural item in West Africa! Even Chiek Anta Diop gives excellent examples of wig attire from among his people, the Wolof of Senegal. I have seen several other pictures of various other peoples from West Africa bearing wigs. Many of these wigs are made from plant material and give the wearer the same 'straight haired' look seen in ancient depictions of Egyptians in wig attire.

Does anyone here have any of these pics, either from Diop or some other source?

Posted by Tyrann0saurus (Member # 3735) on :

quote:
quote:

There is perhaps some relation, but it's not that close, given that Ancient Egyptians mainly wore wigs, while wigs are basically unheard of in East Africa...

They maybe unheard of in East Africa, but they are a common cultural item in West Africa! Even Chiek Anta Diop gives excellent examples of wig attire from among his people, the Wolof of Senegal. I have seen several other pictures of various other peoples from West Africa bearing wigs. Many of these wigs are made from plant material and give the wearer the same 'straight haired' look seen in ancient depictions of Egyptians in wig attire.

Does anyone here have any of these pics, either from Diop or some other source?

Maybe wig-wearing is a Saharan custom.

^ My thoughts exactly. Given that these wigs were made of soft organic fibers that are perishable, it's understandable that remains of such items are almost impossible to find.

Posted by Myra Wysinger (Member # 10126) on :

-

Hey, Myra! It seems like we've been missing you a little while.

But as far as this topic goes, do you have any photos of West African wigs-- either those examples from Diop or more recent photos of West African groups sporting wigs, preferably both??

quote:
Hey, Myra! It seems like we've been missing
you a little while.

But as far as this topic goes, do you have any
photos of West African wigs-- either those
examples from Diop or more recent photos of West
African groups sporting wigs, preferably both??

I went on vacation for a month to Los Angeles. Thanks for asking. Good luck in your studies.

I do have some interesting photos of coiffures from Africa. [Smile]

Woman with coiffure in the form of a crest with ornaments and comb.
Igbo, Nigeria, West Africa

-

Two women whose braids have been lengthened to
their ankles through the use of sinew (eefipa)
extensions, Mbalantu of Wambo group, Namibia, Africa (South Africa)

Photo: M.Schettler, 1940's

-

Namibia, southern Africa

Wigs

-

Wow, I didn't know Southern Africans wore wigs too! By the way, those look alot like the Egyptian braided wigs also!

Any examples from Western Africa?

quote:
Any examples from Western Africa?

I couldn't find a wig from West Africa, but I did find a Mali mask, and a doll from Sudan.

Mask: Dogan, Mali

-

Fertility figure/doll: Bagarra, Sudan

-

Reference:

Hair in African Art and Culture, by Roy Sieber, The Museum for African Art - New York (2000)

Posted by Ebony Allen (Member # 12771) on :

The pictures in this thread are lovely. And I love the hairstyles.

Two girls from Tigray, Northern Ethiopia with traditional hairstyles.

-

-

What's striking about Africans, is although they are the most diverse linguistically, physically and culturally, I noticed some commonality in the rasta hairstyle and other hairstyles, whether among the Himba, AE, Afars, Massai, Tutsi, Fulani and some other groups, although they all live in many areas of Africa, would it be possible that it developed thousand years ago in the Sahara where Africans dispersed?

I know of several good examples of traditional West African wigs, including the 'straight hair' looking ones from several books, but I have yet to have them scanned.

Posted by Agluza (Member # 14023) on :

-

NK servant:
 -

^ Wow, Agluza. Where do you get these great comparative photos?

Posted by Alive-(What Box) (Member # 10819) on :

^

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Fertility figure/doll: Bagarra, Sudan

-

Reference:

Hair in African Art and Culture, by Roy Sieber, The Museum for African Art - New York (2000)

Ancient Egyptian fertility doll
 -

Posted by LindaGabriel (Member # 17738) on :

I love these hairstyles, I see a lot of these in an online store that sells hair wigs in Atlanta.

^ Yes, one excellent point that Ausar and others have made to tie the ancient Egyptians to other black Africans is that the natural hair of most Egyptians is actually shorter than many think which is why Egyptians (both men and women alike) wore wigs and/or extensions. And again, the Egyptian hairstyles are no different from those found in other parts of Africa.

Where are the Eurasian hairstyles of Egypt? [Big Grin]

Posted by the lion (Member # 17353) on :

-

Libyan hairstyle

^ Okay, and how are those Eurasian??!

Those Libyan braids still look African, and so do their ostrich feather plumes you fool! [Big Grin]

Here is more well preserved portrait showing how most ancient Libyans looked like.

-

^ The paint is faded but you can still see that the original color is dark brown like the Egyptians i.e. BLACK!

As for their features, they are no different from modern (black) Berbers like the man below.

-

Eurasian?? I highly doubt it!

quote:
[QB] ^ Okay, and how are those Eurasian??!

Those Libyan braids still look African, and so do their ostrich feather plumes you fool! [Big Grin]

Here is more well preserved portrait showing how most ancient Libyans looked like.

-

^ The paint is faded but you can still see that the original color is dark brown like the Egyptians i.e. BLACK!

Actually my post was not a reply to your post
but a general reply to the thread starter, and example of an African hairstyle.
The word "black" as applied to brown skinned people in the context you are using it is meaningless and adopting a stereotyping mentality.

Posted by KING (Member # 9422) on :

the lion

Don't really want to get between you and Djehuti's arguements but I was just wondering, What would you call those brown skinned individuals if Black to you is too strong a term?

Peace

quote:
Originally posted by KING:
the lion

Don't really want to get between you and Djehuti's arguments but I was just wondering, What would you call those brown skinned individuals if Black to you is too strong a term?

Peace

I would call them a brown skinned individual like you did. To call them black is an inaccurate stereotype that betrays the color sense. Many of us have digested this stereotype and think it's correct now, that skin is a source of pride.
I don't know why you assume black is a strong term. Is "green" a strong term?.

the lion

So what you are trying to say is that ALL Africans are Brown skinned indviduals and calling them "Black" is a stereotype?

I assumed that Black was too strong a word for you because you claim it as an stereotype?

Don't forget the people you want to claim as "mixed" called there country "Blacks" KM.T.

Peace

quote:
the lion

So what you are trying to say is that ALL Africans are Brown skinned indviduals and calling them "Black" is a stereotype?

I assumed that Black was too strong a word for you because you claim it as an stereotype?

Don't forget the people you want to claim as "mixed" called there country "Blacks" KM.T.

Peace

If KMT was a word meaning "dark skin" the the Kemites would have referred to the Kushites as KMT.
KMT is a word that refers to a geographical region.
For example the Isonghee who invented the abacus
are not KMT.

Posted by JMT2 (Member # 16951) on :

quote:
Originally posted by the lion:
quote:
the lion

Peace

If KMT was a word meaning "dark skin" the the Kemites would have referred to the Kushites as KMT.
KMT is a word that refers to a geographical region.
For example the Isonghee who invented the abacus
are not KMT.

-

the lion

Who is you to try and change the meaning of the Word KM.T if it means a geographical region, then where is the letters for this?

What people DO know is that KM with the T at the end makes it a feminine and it is plainly BLACKS. The Hyroglphs for KM shows a piece of wood burnt at the end does not Hint at all about geography.

What makes you think you know more about these words then the Kemetians themselves?

Peace

the lion

To make it more clear for you to understand:

Km.t nw.t > equivalent to black people/ the blacks

Km.t yw > equivalent to citizens/black people

Kememou > again black people, an alternative to the above

rm.t.km.t > again citizens/black people

Now after this your really going to have to give up on your "Mixed" Egypt. If you want mix then look no further then Greece. Greece had a little of Africa and Asia.

Peace

quote:
the lion

Who is you to try and change the meaning of the Word KM.T if it means a geographical region, then where is the letters for this?

What people DO know is that KM with the T at the end makes it a feminine and it is plainly BLACKS. The Hyroglphs for KM shows a piece of wood burnt at the end does not Hint at all about geography.

What makes you think you know more about these words then the Kemetians themselves?

Peace

I am going by the fact that the Kemetians used the word in a geographical context rather than a racial context.
If they were using it in racial context the Kushites would be KMT.
It is you who are inserting that.

the lion

Please post the FACTS you claim to be following???

What we Know about KM.T is exactly how I worded it. I did not twist the words to serve my Ideas, I just relayed it to you on how the Kemetians showed it THEMSELVES.

We also know that Ta Seti, a region in "Nubia" was also the first nome of Egypt so again we see Nubians and Egyptians linked together.

Before I go on further I want to know where you get your FACTS from.

Peace

the lion

I will continue showing you how wrong you are on Kemet and Nubia, Nehasy if you can I hope you pick up this book:

The Book of Portals names a KM.t[nwt] composed
of Rt Rmt and Nhhsw inhabiting ancient Egypt and
ancient Sudan respectively, i.e., dwellers all along the
length of the entire Nile Valley known to its author(s).

This book groups Kemetians and Nubians and sudanese as one community as said by the Kemetians themselves. Why would you try and discount what the Kemetians said themselves?

Peace

quote:
[QB] the lion

Please post the FACTS you claim to be following???

What we Know about KM.T is exactly how I worded it.

you do the same hustle Wally does you take the word out of context and isolate it.
Black is a color. Nowhere does Budge indicate that it means Negroid or refers to skin color.
As you have pointed out the Egyptians most often use a medium reddish brown color to depict themsleves. They most often use the color black when depicting Kushites. although not always.

You notice the distinct and obvious difference that Egyptians often used to paint Kushites in scenes with Egyptians. That's the color black.
Is it the race black also? Look at what YOU are saying.
Imagine someone directing a mural project. They would be making some figures black and others brown. Do you think they had no words to describe those two different colors simply because there is no word for brown listed in Budge's dictionary?
Do you think they just used the two colors arbitrarily?
Many of the Egyptians were brown skinned yet they lived in an area which was renowned for it's fertile black soil. If you have ever seen this type of black soil you would realize that it's color is nearly black rather than like their skin tone which is most commonly medium reddish brown.
Open your eyes.
I'm wrong? Thens how me the mdr ntr where people are described in racial terms as per skin color or stop this.

the lion

No Hustle just TRUTH. Please post where you get your FACTS from. You said alot but it amounts to NOTHING just Hot air and special pleeding.

I gave you WORDS from what the Kemetians called themselves as well as people around them said. I have no problem with your POV the only thing is that it's WRONG so I corrected it and you still have not shown me where you get your FACTS from so like I will ask again.....please post where you get your FACTS from. While you ponder this read this to get a little visual of KM.T:

-

Now this shows you the chared wood and the word KM used with it. Now please show me where you get your FACTS from????

Peace

I'm sorry King I don't read French, you win.

Also, please indicate the title and author of this book

the lion

Sigh [Frown]

It's not about winning...It's about sharing ideas and respectfully learning from each other
The French text is from Diop and Erman and Grapow's Wörterbuch der ägyptischen Sprache Worterbuch der aegyptischen Sprache (Expression of Particular Terms).

Peace

quote:
the lion

Sigh [Frown]

It's not about winning...It's about sharing ideas and respectfully learning from each other
The French text is from Diop and Erman and Grapow's Wörterbuch der ägyptischen Sprache Worterbuch der aegyptischen Sprache (Expression of "Particular Terms).

Peace

you continue to fail at putting the word in the context of a text from the mdr ntr that shows racial context. Diop does not prove that the word kmt is associated with skin color and not a black element of Egypt namely the black soil which was pointed out by ancient authors as being different from reddish brown soil in some of the neighboring countries. Just wishful thinking on Diop's and your part that the term means "all people with from medium brown to nearly black skin" .
If that is what it meant then the Kushites would be called KMT and theor would be a separate word for Egypt.
He attempts to cover himself:
"also used to describe themselves as a people as distinguished from all foreign peoples"
-Diop

Was Egypt the "country of black men" Of course not it was only one region in a whole continent of dark skinned people, many darker than the Egyptians themselves. The concept makes no sense.
If Egypt was the "country of black men" what was Kush?
"The country of the even darker?" ???

the lion

All see from you is your opinion and continued special pleeding.

Whether you agree with what KM.T stands for or not is just your opinion. The TRUTH is that was what the Kemetians CALLED THEMSELVES. I am still waiting on where you get your FACTS from. You have failed to provide anything of TRUTH in your posts. All I see is nonsense and whineing.

How do I fail in putting the word in context when I gave you a LIST of Words from the Kemetians and what they called themselves. Please don't tell me about the Black soil garbage that Eurocentric egyptologists came up with from Herodetus who also claimed the Kemetians as being a Black people. It seems you are really like those eurocentric Egyptologists who claim Herodetus was right that it was Black soil, but wrong that the Kemetians were Black people.

Now I will Continue to ask you what FACTS do you get your info from. I keep waiting to read these FACTS that trumps what the Kemetians called themselves and whos words are more reliable then the People themselves.

Peace

the lion

What is so hard to understand??? Their is NO WORD in KM.T for soil. The word for soil or land in Kemetic language is TA so if you want soil it would be KEM TA. Why you bring up this soil nonsense is beyond me all I can say is try something else.

Peace

quote:

Actually my post was not a reply to your post
but a general reply to the thread starter, and example of an African hairstyle.
The word "black" as applied to brown skinned people in the context you are using it is meaningless and adopting a stereotyping mentality.

LOL Yet most people called "black" ARE actually brown in color. It may be a stereotype but at least it makes more sense the nonsense you and your Arabashed brained people of northern Sudan to call obvious black people as "green" or "blue".

-

-

The Egyptian king and the West African girl are both technically brown but obviously are both labeled as 'black' by everyone else in the world except by north Sudanese psychos who are also called 'black' by everyone else. Sorry if that pains you. [Big Grin]

quote:
Yet most people called "black" ARE actually brown in color. It may be a stereotype but at least it makes more sense the nonsense you and your Arabashed brained people of northern Sudan to call obvious black people as "green" or "blue".

-

This guy looks Indian to me, just an opinion

Posted by Doctoris Scientia (Member # 17454) on :

quote:
quote:
Yet most people called "black" ARE actually brown in color. It may be a stereotype but at least it makes more sense the nonsense you and your Arabashed brained people of northern Sudan to call obvious black people as "green" or "blue".

-

This guy looks Indian to me, just an opinion
^what the ****, get out of hear with that noncence. Please post me an Indian who resemble Tut.

Here some Africans that do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26516861@N00/4665912808/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9117951@N08/4644920575/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz77/3275290538/in/set-72157613282226912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz77/3298434456/in/set-72157613282226912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz77/3304048019/in/set-72157613282226912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7334357@N04/4458982332/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypertornado/4208955247/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aprilrinne/3817564821/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/friedaryckaert/4435143791/in/pool-11816495@N00
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotravel/3872872284/in/set-72157622072720463/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotravel/3873012895/in/set-72157622072720463/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotravel/3873794038/in/set-72157622072720463/

I've seen so many damn Africans who more "Indian" then the above guy. You sound so ignorant, and it's obvious that you have an agenda, and have no knowledge of African populations and history.

Indian

http://parentsunderground.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/surgery1.jpg

^ It's obvious the guy (the deranged lion) is delusional. Every sane person can see that the bust of Tut portrays a black man and specifically AFRICAN. Yes there ARE black Indians, but Tut is African NOT Indian or any other Asian.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com