EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Protest Videos on Youtube.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Protest Videos on Youtube.
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anybody else see these? If you all have Im interested in hearing some opinions some of you have.

King Tuts Protests

Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone think these protests are effective in changing people's minds?
Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found this comment hillarious, LMAO

"King Tut was white, but 'Kang Tutty Dawg' was a black Nubian pimp-chief. People get the two confused, and the whole Afrocentrist fantasy springs from this confusion."

Btw Is it me or is this man not "white"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt87LHnKRuk

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yeah, hilariously stupid! [Roll Eyes] It was so corny it really wasn't funny which is a shame, since much stuff from racists whites is actually comical.

quote:
Originally posted by markellion:

Does anyone think these protests are effective in changing people's minds?

I don't think so. Again, until the mainstream is made aware of scientific facts, there is always going to be skepticism from there.
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ Yeah, hilariously stupid! It was so corny it really wasn't funny which is a shame, since much stuff from racists whites is actually comical.
Yeah,but it was still funny in a strange way, i actually laugh more at racist stuff like places as stormfront than get pissed of, i find them quite ammusing , when i read what they write there like about somalis i sometimes fall from the chair out of laughter, i don't know why i guess i just never take them seriously uncounciously.
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis2:

"King Tut was white, but 'Kang Tutty Dawg' was a black Nubian pimp-chief. People get the two confused, and the whole Afrocentrist fantasy springs from this confusion."

Racists like to repeat the same stupid things over and over, I've seen that one written at least 5 different times

Another one goes "if Egyptions were black why don't the pyramids have writing saying dead
ni$$er storage"

There are also some people who keep calling white people leapers and cavebeasts over and over [Frown]

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyBoy
Member # 14420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I am new here, and new to the study of African history. I went to Philadelphia this summer to see the King Tut exhibit. The protestors were there the day before my visit. I learned about them through youtube.

Went through the exhibit with little knowledge of ancient Egypt, and left with a little more. I found the protestor's video on youtube the next day. The protests inspired me to seek more knowlegde on AE and Black history in general. I have learned a lot from these forums and other webpages as well as reading many books. The knowledge has inspired me to support black business, promote black unity, and a respect for the culture of all nations.

So the protests were not fruitless. You saved one man from total assimilation and opened his eyes to beautiful things.

Posts: 3 | From: Northeast Coast, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by BabyBoy:
Hello. I am new here, and new to the study of African history. I went to Philadelphia this summer to see the King Tut exhibit. The protestors were there the day before my visit. I learned about them through youtube.

Went through the exhibit with little knowledge of ancient Egypt, and left with a little more. I found the protestor's video on youtube the next day. The protests inspired me to seek more knowlegde on AE and Black history in general. I have learned a lot from these forums and other webpages as well as reading many books. The knowledge has inspired me to support black business, promote black unity, and a respect for the culture of all nations.

So the protests were not fruitless. You saved one man from total assimilation and opened his eyes to beautiful things.

You'll love this website

http://endingstereotypes.org/african_history.html

Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Egyptsearch BabyBoy! [Smile]
may I ask what lead you to this website and how long have you've been coming here?

Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyBoy
Member # 14420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefar and Markellion,

Thanks for the welcome. While doing a search on Herodotus and Ethiopia; a thread on this site came up.

I wondered why Herodotus speaks of Egypt and Ethiopia as neighbors? I thought maybe Sudan was a part of Ethiopia in ancient times. After reading a few threads here, it seems he refers to all Africans who are not Libyans or Egyptians as "Ethiopians."

As you see I have a lot to learn, so I'll be doing more reading than posting.

Posts: 3 | From: Northeast Coast, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethiopia was a ename for all regions of Africa south of Egypt and not the same as the current geographic region called the NATION of Ethiopia. Ethiopia was only geographic in the sense that it meant land of the burnt face people, which were considered to be all populations to the South of Egypt(including Egyptians as well). Based on the limited understanding of African geography in the time of Herodatus, Ethiopia was considered to be all of the rest of the continent of what we now call Africa, even though the exact extent of it was not known.
Posts: 8896 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Libya was the name for the continent in general.
Libya was (confusingly to us) divided into Libya and Aithiopia.

Libya proper was North Africa from Cyrenaica west to the ocean
and from the Mediterranean coast south to start of the desert.
Libya proper was inhabited by peoples with a range of skin
colours all darker than people living on the north shores
of the Mediterranean; i.e. beige to black skinned.

Aithiopia was inner Africa from the desert southward and
upriver from Aswan/Elephantine. Aithiopia was inhabited by
peoples who were mostly darker than the average Libyan;
i.e. red-brown to black skinned.

For maps based on the Greco-Latin accounts see
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005507

Also note that Aithiopia was a generic for where ever very
dark brown skinned people lived. In other words certain
parts of Asia were included in Aithiopia. It takes the context
to know precisely where a particular "Aithiopia" lies, since to
the Greeks, Aithiopia encompassed lands in the south extending
from the rising to the setting of the sun.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BabyBoy,

Hope your question is really innocent. Anyway, the ancient Greeks designated "Aethiopia" to be the lands south of of Upper Egypt and beyond. Modern Ethiopia used to be called "Abyssinia"(Habashat) just as modern Ghana used to be called "Gold Coast".

So the regions Herodotus and other Greeks referred to as "Ethiopia" encompassed the kingdoms of Napata and Meroe directly south of Egypt, which would be the northern part of the country now called Sudan.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any answers? People usually assume that "Aethiops" refers to the "black" people living south of Egypt but I am curious to know why the Greeks did not use the term "melanchroes" to describe such people when they used it to describe the pigmentation of the Egyptians and "Ethiopians"(Kushites).

So the question is: to whom did the term "Aethiops" actually refer? And why did they use a term that has the ambiguous meaning of "burnt face"?

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I am somewhat confused by your questions myself. [Confused]
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
The Greeks used the term "melanchroes"--which means "black coloured" to refer to both the Egyptians and "Ethiopians" so why did they use the term "Aethiops" which translates into "burnt face"--as is claimed--to refer to the "Ethiopians" alone--as id claimed? Why didn't they use terms like "Kushites" , "Nahesi", etc.?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BabyBoy:

Babyboy, welcome to the forum! I'm glad that your eyes are open to the truth about Egypt and its part in African history. I still find the protest to be a not so well introduction to Egypt as being African with posters like "Nefertiti was my sister" or "Tut's Daddy was a Black man"! LOL [Big Grin]
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
The Greeks used the term "melanchroes"--which means "black coloured" to refer to both the Egyptians and "Ethiopians" so why did they use the term "Aethiops" which translates into "burnt face"--as is claimed--to refer to the "Ethiopians" alone--as id claimed? Why didn't they use terms like "Kushites" , "Nahesi", etc.?

Most likely because the Greeks believed that Aethiopia was the closest place to the sun..

"Homer and his Greek contemporaries regarded the Aethiopians as the peoples living closest to the sun by virtue of their perceived proximity to the earth's equator. Their faces were therefore, burnt by the scorching rays of the sun." - Bianchi (2004), from "Daily Life Of The Nubians"

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Actually Greek myth explains how Phaeton, a son of the sun god Helios recieved permission to drive his father's chariot across the sky but lost control of the horses. The chariot came too close to the earth particulary Africa (Libya, Egypt, and Aethiopia). Zeus had to hurl a thunderbolt at Phaeton to stop him from destroying the earth but it was too late for the peoples of Libya, Egypt, and Aethiopia became burnt of skin.

Such was the ancient Greek explanation for the skin color of Africans.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Major correction. The Greeks never limited Aithiop
to continental Africa. The southern Levant was an
Aithiop habitat as were various Asian sub-continent
locations.

Maybe the Greeks used Aithiop instead of their own
word melanchroes because, as Wally laid it down, it's
a corruption of the word ethosh/ethaush from Rn Mdw.
quote:

Originally posted by Wally:

Ethiopia
Catechism: The name Ethiopia comes from the Greek Aithiops or 'burnt faces'.
That's only partially true as well. Actually, it's closing in on being a lie...

This I found purely through serendipity. There are Kemetian/Coptic words for Ethiopia. They are 'Ethosh' and 'Ethaush,' which means 'border, boundary, or frontier' which referred to the lands beyond Kemet's southern borders - the frontier. Borrowing this term from their patrons, the Greeks wrote it as Aithiops, and indeed used it to indicate, initially, all the lands beyond Kemet's southern boundary frontier. Later, it was also used as a euphemism for those peoples who were dark-skinned, both in Africa and in India. It is to be noted that they never used this term to identify the Kememu, for them they used the term 'melanochroes' or simply 'Black.' Out of respect, I imagine...

thenilevalley Forum Index -> Mdu Ntr -> Mdu Ro en Kemet
(clickable link)

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com