EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » New pyramid discovered in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New pyramid discovered in Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New pyramid discovered in Egypt

afrol News, 4 June - Egyptian archaeologists have discovered missing sections of the so-called Sphinx Road and the bottom part of an unknown pyramid in Sakkara area some 30 kilometres south of Cairo. The Sakkara area hosts Egypt's oldest pyramids.

In a press release, the Egyptian Supreme Council for Antiquities (SCA) today announced the discovery of the bottom part of a pyramid, which was believed to belong to King Menkauhor - from 2444 BC to 2436 BC - of the Fifth Dynasty.

Sakkara is the main section of the great necropolis belonging to the city of Memphis; the Old Kingdom capital. Most of the kings of the Memphis-based 1st dynasty as well as those of the 2nd dynasty are buried in this section of the capital's necropolis. It is a place that has been of constant interest to Egyptologists.

SCA chief Zahi Hawwas says the discovery is among the most important made in the Sakkara area lately, and emphasises on the discovered sections of the Sphinx Road. The road was mentioned in some ancient Greek manuscripts, according Mr Hawwas.

According to him, it is believed that the discovered parts of the road are connected to the passage leading to Anubis Temples of the jackal-headed god associated with mummification and the afterlife in Egyptian mythology.

Three major discoveries have recently been made at Sakkara, according to the Council, including a prime minister's tomb, a queen's pyramid, and the tomb of the son of a dynasty-founding king. "Each discovery has a fascinating story, with many adventures for the archaeologists as they revealed the secrets of the past," Mr Hawwas said.

Sakkara is best known for the Step Pyramid, the oldest known of Egypt's 97 pyramids. It was built for King Djoser of the 3rd Dynasty by the architect and genius Imhotep, who designed it and its surrounding complex to be as grand as it was; unique and revolutionary. In addition to the newly discovered and the Djoser pyramid, there are another 16 pyramids on the site.

http://www.afrol.com/articles/29209

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sakkara is amazing yes and hope I can have a chance to see it as it takes time to open the public those new discoveries.

And Zahi again [Big Grin] I still wonder about the Cleobatra's tomb [Big Grin]

Thanks for the post Tiger [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to this story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSL0586656020080605?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh tiger saqquara is my favourite historical sight in the whole world.
i'm so sad for it , it's my wallpaper on my phone [Big Grin]

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/2815695
Ausarian
Member # 13266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausarian   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

missing sections of the so-called Sphinx Road and the bottom part of an unknown pyramid

Yes, these would be major recoveries.

Good news for the Sphinx Road, but now, any *real* restoration effort on the way for putting the Sphinx bits together on the main statue? One can only hope.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never visted this area before.
I hope to next time im traveling.
I love to visit the pyramids.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com