EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did Akhenaten ban animal sacrifice? Was Akhenaten vegetarian?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Akhenaten ban animal sacrifice? Was Akhenaten vegetarian?
Kemetic_Kollection
Member # 23390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kemetic_Kollection     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Akhenaten a religious vegan?
Did Akhenaten ban animal sacrifice?
Did he look at it as sinful to aten?

My source.
http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/Donald%20A._MacKenzie_-_Egyptian_Myth_and_Legend.pdf

Akhenaton accounted it sinful to shed blood or to take away the life which Aton gave. No sacrifices were
offered up in his temple; the fruits of the earth alone were laid on the altars. He had already beaten the sword
into a ploughshare. When his allies and his garrison commanders in Syria appealed for troops, he had little
else to send them but a religious poem or a prayer addressed to Aton.

Hard things are often said about Akhenaton. One writer dismisses him as an "æsthetic trifler", others regard
him as "a half−mad king"; but we must recognize that he was a profoundly serious man with a great mission,
a high−souled prophet if an impractical Pharaoh. He preached the gospel of culture and universal
brotherhood, and his message to mankind is the only vital thing which survives to us in Egypt amidst the
relics of the past.

'T is naught
That ages, empires, and religions there
Lie buried in the ravage they have wrought;
For such as he can lend, they borrow not

Glory from those who made the world their prey;
And he is gathered to the kings of thought
Who waged contention with their time's decay,
And of the past are all that cannot pass away.

He remains to us as one of "the inheritors of unfulfilled renown",

Whose names on earth are dark
But whose transmitted effluence cannot die
So long as fire outlives the parent spark. . . .

He believed in the "one and only god", Aton, whose power was manifested in the beneficent sun; the great
deity was Father of all mankind, and provided for their needs and fixed the length of their days. Aton was
revealed in beauty, and his worshippers were required to live beautiful lives the cultured mind abhorred all
that was evil, and sought after "the things which are most excellent"; it shrank from the shedding of blood; it
promoted the idea of universal brotherhood, and conceived of a beautiful world pervaded by universal peace.

The chief source of our knowledge of Akhenaton's religion is his great hymn, one of the finest surviving
versions of which has been found in the tomb of a royal official at Tell−el−Amarna. It was first published by
Bouriant, and has since been edited by Breasted, whose version is the recognized standard for all
translations.

CHAPTER XXVI. The Religious Revolt of the Poet King

EGYPTIAN MYTH AND LEGEND - Page 156

Even the Independent.co is making this claim.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/who-were-the-world-s-very-earliest-vegans-a7668831.html

"Other notable vegan-leaning leaders include the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten who banned animal sacrifice because he thought it was sinful to take away any given life by the Aten god."

Even after reviewing these claims I still ponder over this depiction of Akhenaten allegedly sacrificing a duck.

-

Image Source:
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/544056

So..... As a vegan/vegeterian myself id think it'd be really cool if the great Akhenaten was a vegan too [Smile] but at the moment its just speculation.

I am also aware of the lower class being somewhat vegiterian based off a study done on 45 mummies' teeth enamel and hair analysis.

-

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/egyptians-vegetarian-mummy-study_n_5297691

I post facts like this on my Instagram @KemeticKollection [Smile]

Anyways I hope you guys can give me your thoughts.

Posts: 6 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I was under the impression that the polemic against shedding blood, specifically referred to the blood of men/humans. Animal sacrifice was an integral part to Egyptian priestly rituals. The animal consecrated to the sun deity was the duck or goose and the relief above shows Akhenaten offering up the duck. Though, I guess one can sacrifice without shedding blood if you break the neck of the animal. [Confused]

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com