EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » why are priests mixed with Libyans in this Medinet Habu scene ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why are priests mixed with Libyans in this Medinet Habu scene ?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

At first I thought these were both foreigners but instead it's Libyans and priests.
There are other scenes at Medinet Habu of these bald headed priests similar to the very top of the top photo there is a row of them not with the Libyans. In other scenes I have seen some also have staffs with a small sign-like thing at the top.
I also saw a scene with Libyans and Scribes similar to the famous scene with Nubian prisoners sitting down and standing above them scribes but the Libyans are not sitting just alternating with the scribes.
What these scenes look like to me is after Egyptian victories they have scribes come around to count people perhaps. Also in the Libyan scene
with the scribes there are chopped off hands
to the right of them, maybe the scribes record how many hands get chopped off? I read elsewhere they did some penis chopping also.
Anyway I'm wondering why these priests are around these Libyan captives.
Another interesting thing is this Libyan seems to be depicted with a blue eye. It's also a color on his garment and a thin sliver at the back of his head along the hair. I'm not sure why that color would be there.

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As in many African religious ritual practice, the Egyptians (priests) were known to conduct execration rituals on captured prisoners of war. These were ritual spells of binding and rendering harmless the foes so they no longer pose a threat to the state. Such rituals may include literal acts of bodily disablement or incapacitation on enemies that are especially considered dangerous or dreaded. The most common of which is the "taking of hands" thus taking away a foe's power. Sometimes the rituals may go even further with castration ensuring that the foe is rendered impotent and infertile no longer being able to produce progeny as well as literally no longer being a full man to pose a danger.

Asar Imhotep can probably back me up on this as I've read of such rituals being done in West Africa with respect to the 'taking of hands' of enemies, and in East Africa certain tribes like the Afar would castrate their foes even present the genitals as a wedding gift to their brides to be.

Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for info
Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be a good opportunity to read the actual texts that accompanies the wall scene. It will tell you exactly what is going on and you don't have to guess.
Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
taking and accounting of enemy hands
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
yes, gruesome
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It gets worse.

-

-

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
This is why I don't romanticize Egypt, chopped off dicks. Never saw that lower pic before but I had read about this
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I never romanticized ancient Egypt but saw it as it was an ancient civilization with many advancements but obviously with issues of its own.

Captured enemies not only were used as slave labor but also a source for eunuchs who guarded harems.

The amputated hands and double castrated (both dicks and balls) organs were kept as trophies by the kings and priests as the most powerful symbols of vanquished enemies.

Then you have examples of purely ritual execration rites such as the examples you pointed out before:

King Tut's footstools
 -
https://64.media.tumblr.com/d9900b4988f8df1859c86c787bdd3192/tumblr_oniw6w7KZb1vu27r3o1_1280.jpg

King Tut's sandals
 -

The purpose of these depictions is so that the nesu (king) may continue to ritually trample and step on the enemies.

Execration as I said is a common ritual practice found in many religions where magical practices are had especially in Africa. It is a widespread practice in West African religions like Vodun (voodoo) and can be seen in a distorted inaccurate form of the Hollywood 'voodoo doll'.

The purpose of execration is not some petty act of vengeance but a way to keep hostile enemies and forces at bay. The Egyptians had a simple dualistic cosmological view of order (Maat) vs. chaos (Isfret). Part of the forces of chaos were enemies especially foreign ones who sought to disrupt the state. It was the duty of the king to practice rituals to suppress hostile forces magically, as well as the priesthood. But even common people may take part. During times of war commoners can make clay images of enemies and then smash and step on them too.

After Queen Amanirenas defeated Augustus Caesar's campaign on her northern borders she marched into Upper Egypt and sacked three cities further humiliating Caesar since he suffered losses at the hands of a woman. Where upon Amanirenas took back the decapitated head of Augustus and buried it under the threshold of her palace entrance so she may continue to trample him.

-

And of course there are the smiting scenes on temple walls.

-

-

-

For decades there was debate that such scenes were fictional portrayals of execration but there is no reason or evidence to suggest such scenes were not only real but scenes of not simply execration but human sacrifice! Since other African cultures the kings ritually sacrificed their enemies as well.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com