EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egypt News » Old Cairo Pics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old Cairo Pics
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. Not one piece of trash on the street in any of those pictures. It's lovely to see what Cairo looks like clean.

Railway station looks the same, but I don't recognize Semiramis Hotel.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
 -

-

-

-

-

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
 -

-

-

-

-

So I hope you enjoyed all the photos. Btw I got more..... but another time!! [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks tigerlily very interesting
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
them are cool. did u notice the pyramids were still covered in sand.it was way before they started digging in it.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
but I don't recognize Semiramis Hotel.

You observed well.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1999/431/tr1.htm

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent collection TL, thank you..

Notice the names on the shops, all foreign. [Smile]
Its a pity all this has gone to the dogs, ever since Nasser decided everything must go in 1956.

The fall of the humble good Egyptians into this chaotic embarassment.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
but I don't recognize Semiramis Hotel.

You observed well.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1999/431/tr1.htm

Yeah I thought that old building had been torn down. I was thinking that when I was looking at your pictures. New Semiramis way too modern.

Another thing that always strikes me when I see the old pictures is the lion statues on Qasr el Nil bridge. How much that area has changed. It looked so small then and the lions looked huge...now the lions seem lost among all the people and traffic on that bridge. It looked so quaint back in the day. Like a nice place to take a walk. Now it's one of the most difficult places to try to walk.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kasr El Nil bridge was rebuilt in the thirties to its present form.

http://egyptedantan.com/egypt.htm

Click on Le Caire then on Zamalek and move on to see the sequence of events throughout those days.

I once added this link on ES, its in French. [Frown]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pics Tiger, thanks for sharing  -
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you, very nice pictures!
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much TL!! [Smile]

I really miss my country! [Frown]

and Dzosser ,I think Abdelnasser did the right think ,but he did it wrong!

So sad! [Frown]

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
All those beautiful buildings were Khedive Ismail's idea of wanting Cairo to be 'Un Petit Paris' he did a wonderful job, foreigners loved Egypt because it was a safe, climatically adjusted and commercially centered spot, let alone its unique riches and friendly natives.
Nasser did in as little as 14 years (1956-1970) what no Zionist could have achieved in a century, and if that particular Zionist, were to systematically dismantle the Egyptian persona.

Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Well, I think he tried and he did good things and bad things ,the international political climate i think !
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
^btw,I think Khedive Ismael if lived today would have wanted Cairo to look like Las Vigas [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Whenever I look at the postcards I am amazed that within the last 70 to 100 years actually nothing really changed and I believe that's why Cairo is so attractive to many - it's like walking the streets of the past.
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
^ did not change!

I think Cairo of today and even people of today has nothing to do woth people of Egypt 100 years ago

Vesuvius
Member # 16853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesuvius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the pictures both Rahala and TL have posted are amazing.

At first I thought how great the place looked, and how wonderful it would have been to walk on those streets.

I noticed all the foreign influence and that made me a little sad, but the place was well kept in those days.

Then I thought, but hang on, I am a woman...How many women are walking in the pictures?

So when you contrast the idylic pictures of the past with todays pictures of over populated, and over polluted Cairo. One good thing has emerged, and that is the role that women play in society, and quite possibly their quality of life.

Posts: 140 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ourluxor
Member # 15101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ourluxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great postcards. Thanks very nuch for allowing us to enjoy them.
Posts: 430 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com