EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » hmmmmmmm what's this???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hmmmmmmm what's this???
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAs this been here all along?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No and it looks different to the other boards!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 9314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooooo, new section!

Salam

Posts: 127 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I used to listen to too much arabic music, but then I went back to bluegrass, hahaha.
So here is a test for aficianados of musique arabique:
Ever listen to any "Milhelm Barakat?"
Keef?

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is new. I thought music was haram?
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it may be haram, especially for fundamentalists. However, I think this is not the Al-Qaida chat forum, last I checked.
It is good to remember that there are many non-moslem Egypt-lovers, mostly foreigners, who frequent this forum.
I've been through the islam vs. music stuff, and maybe "newcomer" will pop in with some hadiths for you.
Tamaly Ma'ak!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:

Oh yes, Egypt is the hot bed of hell in the Middle East.

95% of Arabic films are made in Egypt, and about half the music.

Khadija Egypt is waiting to be saved by you and to stamp out all Music and films.

You must save Egypt! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Egyptian music, Nancy Ajram
Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karena:

My ex [Frown]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My twin [Big Grin]
Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
I believe it may be haram, especially for fundamentalists. However, I think this is not the Al-Qaida chat forum, last I checked.
It is good to remember that there are many non-moslem Egypt-lovers, mostly foreigners, who frequent this forum.
I've been through the islam vs. music stuff, and maybe "newcomer" will pop in with some hadiths for you.
Tamaly Ma'ak!

If you read my post I am sure you see that I have a lot to say about a lot of issues, but, I never claim to know everything. In fact, like I always said I am new to Islam. So if I ask a question, like I did here, I would think that some people would clarify some points, that I may be misunderstanding.

I can say that your post did offer me some clarification.

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:

Oh yes, Egypt is the hot bed of hell in the Middle East.

95% of Arabic films are made in Egypt, and about half the music.

Khadija Egypt is waiting to be saved by you and to stamp out all Music and films.

You must save Egypt! [Big Grin]

Agian, just a question. Being an accomplished saxophonist, it would be very hard for me to stamp out anyone's music. FYI I was teaching my children music for pleasure, and to satisfy the art/music credit of their ciriculm, but I gave it up, because, i thought it was un Islamic, along with dancing.

Like I said, I talk what I know, or I dont talk, I ask.

sara7a ra7a
Member # 10232

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara7a ra7a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asalaam 3alaykom we ra7matullah we barakatu

Inshaa Allah this finds you in the best of Health and Iman.

In regards to this topic my understanding is it is haram to listen to music/songs that contain any sexually, bad language or otherwise disgusting material. It is a bit extreme to rule out music altogether and Allah knows what is in your hearts..He knows what you conceal..what is your intentions.

Allah yesallemeku

--------------------
===========Sana===========
Allah yesallemeku

Posts: 45 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Where is newcomer? I really avoid posting specific religious stuff, because I have a hard enough time figuring it out for myself, in terms of researching the fine points and asking scholars their opinions. I wouldn't want to mislead anyone by stating something that isn't correct.
I believe some of the argument about music comes from the concept that it "moves the heart." Thus away from piety? Or towards something else? (Just think of the young people fainting for Michael Jackson, back in the day.)
Of course there is a general opinion that modern music "makes people want to do the haram with another one." But Pharoah Sanders never really did that to me.... So much arabic music is love songs, you can see why someone might think that if they come from an arab country. They seem not to have the depth of weird music the west/white do, i.e. songs about a leaf blower, trains, or the supermarket.
I have always joked about the influence of arabic songs on me, because I don't understand enough arabic to be moved in that way. "Bahebak moot" will never have the same power to me as "Baby I love you soo much, I need you with me now." Okay, I shouldn't say never, but you get my drift.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Khadija, what did you mean about satisfying curriculum requirements? Are you homeschooling?
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Khadija, what did you mean about satisfying curriculum requirements? Are you homeschooling?

yes. more than one year now
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Agian, just a question. Being an accomplished saxophonist, it would be very hard for me to stamp out anyone's music. FYI I was teaching my children music for pleasure, and to satisfy the art/music credit of their ciriculm, but I gave it up, because, i thought it was un Islamic, along with dancing.

Like I said, I talk what I know, or I dont talk, I ask.

There was a thread on the religion board about whether it was haram or not....I will try to find it for you.

I personally listen to music all the time. I wouldn't listen to something that I feel is unIslamic or immoral.

Here's an interesting analysis on Islamonline.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544202

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remmeber there was a thread about this...and Dalia made some interesting point.

And I agree with this person, it really depends on what type of music you listen to.

I admit I was a bit extreme and hard on this...cos for me, [Roll Eyes] growing up where i did grow up....music are/is ladies half naked dancing, or men sinigin with naked ladies dancing inthe background.

Then in the 70s-80-90s whenever there was this thing about subliminal music... [Eek!]

As with everything in Islam moderation is the best way, listening to too much, wasting your time, missing your prayers and other duties then that is not good
Sufis, go ttoo extreme with their music, and start to spin around etc.

The thing that someone, or dalia mentioned, was that the there was only one hadith mentioning it not being good, and that werent classified as very strong.

However, i think men listening to women is haram, not vice versa [Roll Eyes]

wa Asalaam 3alaykom we ra7matullah we barakatu

quote:
Originally posted by sara7a ra7a:
Asalaam 3alaykom we ra7matullah we barakatu

Inshaa Allah this finds you in the best of Health and Iman.

In regards to this topic my understanding is it is haram to listen to music/songs that contain any sexually, bad language or otherwise disgusting material. It is a bit extreme to rule out music altogether and Allah knows what is in your hearts..He knows what you conceal..what is your intentions.

Allah yesallemeku

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWesternDebt2Islam aka Ki$$ aka K:
I remmeber there was a thread about this..

Islamic Wedding
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where is newcomer?

Nice to be missed...sorry I didn't notice this posting sooner.

From my memory, the previous discussion focussed more on men listening to women's voices when they beautified them to read the Qur'an or to sing, rather than on the issue of music in general.

I don't have time just now to hunt out evidence for you at the moment, but basically my understanding is that the Islamic scholars have various opinions on music from it being generally haram, with a couple of specific exceptions, to it being allowed as long as it is in moderation and the content and nature was not contradictory to Islamic principles.

I don't know of any evidence that forbids music as such; the rulings are therefore based on deductions from the Hadith that refer to it. There are Hadith that describe the Prophet (peace be upon him) blocking his ears when he heard music, in particular to wind and string instruments. Some scholars therefore say that only the duff (which is described as being like a large tambourine without the bells) is allowed. However, there are descriptions of A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) and her friends singing and dancing and the Prophet allowing it because it was Eid despite Abu Bakr’s objection. It is also permitted for women to watch men dancing (presumably to music, although I’m not 100% sure on that), as evidenced by A’ishah watching the warriors dancing with the Prophet. Women are also permitted to sing and dance at weddings to the (although some scholars say it should not be in a sexually provocative way and only to the duff).

Basically I feel that if anyone is interested in knowing what the rulings are you can find lots of information on the internet, from all the different points of view, and you need to research it for yourself and find the opinion that gives the best evidence to support its arguments. That way you will have firm ground to support which ever position you decide to take and won’t be able to be accused of making your own rulings based on limited knowledge.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
From my memory, the previous discussion focussed more on men listening to women's voices when they beautified them to read the Qur'an or to sing, rather than on the issue of music in general.

No, that was a different one. The one in the above link contains quite a bit of debate about music itself.

If I remember correctly, Khadija, I posted a few links there of the effect of music on children.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My twin [Big Grin]

Frustrating [Frown]

Don't talk to me again.

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Khadija,
I am HSing too, that's why I asked. I teach all the subjects, and I have to be the janitor and cafeteria lady too. Hahaha.
We wanted a more aggressive academic curriculum, but wanted to avoid the snottiness of the private schools around here. What a relief, and what a joy to be doing it this way.
Happy schooling!

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone who posted information to help me understand the question about music. I am really happy to see how everyone had something positive to contibute. I appreciate this because it just reinertate (sp)my faith because, muslim or not, most every post was a direction to help me to understand more about Islam, in respects to music. For this, I am truly grateful. I see, even through different opinions, most everyone honestly understood my sincerity about wanting to learn.

thank you

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Khadija,
I am HSing too, that's why I asked. I teach all the subjects, and I have to be the janitor and cafeteria lady too. Hahaha.
We wanted a more aggressive academic curriculum, but wanted to avoid the snottiness of the private schools around here. What a relief, and what a joy to be doing it this way.
Happy schooling!

Public schools in baltimore city were really bad, and i could not afford private at all. Now here in Alabama, there are no muslims schools, so i just kept with Home school. It's not easy, i would rather have them in muslim school.

Yeah, I agree with you on being the teacher,cook,nurse, janitor....LOL

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Nancy Ajram is Lebanese.
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nancy Ajram is Lebanese. [/QB]
She sings in Egyptian style as well... [Wink]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

"She sings in Egyptian style as well..."

[Wink]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
quote:
Nancy Ajram is Lebanese.

She sings in Egyptian style as well... [Wink] [/QB]
And thats how you sell albums.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com