EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Contemporary Egyptian pop music - whatīs going wrong?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contemporary Egyptian pop music - whatīs going wrong?
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already posted this text in "What's your favorite song in Arabic (Egyptian)?", however I think it needs separate discussion:

Well, I am not big fan of contemporary Egyptian pop-music since most of it (like 95%) tend to be monotonous and uninventive. I am sure that Egyptians are musical nation, but most of Egyptian mainstream pop-music is a s**t. Firstly, lyrics are practically all about love and their dullness is ridicoulous (Ya 7abebi, 2arrab leeya, ana sahraan wa banadeek bla bla bla). Hmmm, I presume that Amr Diab has done about 200 songs in last 20 years (maybe more), how many are not about love? 2,3? El Qods de ardena (of course, "politically correct" theme for support of Palestinians), Afriqia (for championship) and anything else? You can just look at titles of songs and be sure what is the theme, for example those mentioned above: Ba7ibbik Wa7ashtini, Bastannak, Qarrabni leek, Qalby Sahran, Matro7sh Ba3eed, 7abiby wala 3ala balo, etc. etc.

Secondly, alike the lyrics the music is mostly uninventive too. Itīs just a hybrid mix of elements of classical arabic music with some western pop-formulas with rare influences of Latin-Amererican music and flamengo. Musical diversity which we can see in Europe and America (both USA and Latin America) is virtually non-existent in Egypt or any other Middle Eastern Arabic country. There is only one omnipresent and watery pop-music. By contrast, Maghrebi (originally Algerian) Rai music is much more inventive and enjoyable (itīs a mix of Maghrebi folk music with elements of reggae, pop, rap, salsa, r & b, flamengo etc.). I would be glad if Egyptian singers, producents and of course the audience realised it and tried to improve it but if they are satisfied with current situation maleesh da3wa ba2a. I just wonīt listen to their music so much [Wink]

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/723/fe1.htm

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com