EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Not about Egypt... Richard Gere on trail of Balkans genocide fugitive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not about Egypt... Richard Gere on trail of Balkans genocide fugitive
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Gere on trail of Balkans genocide fugitive

By AFP
Middle East Times
Published September 8, 2006

US actor Richard Gere arrived Thursday in Croatia to begin shooting a Hollywood film about the hunt for Radovan Karadzic, the former Bosnian Serb leader and number one Balkans genocide suspect.

Gere will live in a luxury villa in Zagreb while filming Richard Shepard's, Spring Break in Bosnia, in which he plays a journalist trying to seek out the fugitive Karadzic, who is still wanted by international justice.

Filming is due to start Tuesday, with only a few scenes being shot in Croatia and the rest in neighboring Bosnia.

The production company, Scout film, has not revealed who - if anyone - will play Karadzic, who has been on the run since he was charged with genocide in 1995 by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.

The Bosnian Serb leader is accused of ordering the 1995 massacre of 8,000 Muslim men in Srebrenica during Bosnia's 1992-95 war, in the worst single atrocity committed in Europe since World War II. He and his associate Ratko Mladic are believed to be hiding somewhere in either Serbia or the Serb-controlled part of Bosnia.

Shepard's film is based on an article written by Scott Anderson, who covered the war for Esquire magazine.

According to the Croatian press, the screenplay sees Gere's journalist character rapidly run into problems with locals who believe he is spying for the CIA.

The star managed to dodge the dozens of journalists awaiting his arrival at Zagreb airport, and told local reporters outside the villa that he was well, but tired and in need of a rest after his journey. Terrence Howard, who plays a supporting role in the film, also arrived in Zagreb Thursday, where he said he was "very happy to be here" and hoped to play his role with the utmost sincerity.

http://metimes.com/articles/normal.php?StoryID=20060908-064906-1854r

This has angered me for years. Ratko Mladic was in the Australian section of Yugoslavia during the UN troops stay and he was actually given help by UN troops to escape. This has boiled my blood for years.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com