EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Osama (the movie)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Osama (the movie)
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it's going to be on the Movie Channel this friday.

Any comments from those who have seen it? Good, bad, not worth watching?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get a chance to watch it and am glad I did. An incredibly sad movie, though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368913/

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

satanmademedoit....I did, I did.....

I have a question about the ending though. I didn't get the part when the mullah came home, and was in the room with Osama and got out some chains???

The lighting was very dark in this part and I couldn't see exactly what he was holding.

Remember the part where he said.."Choose, Choose....what was that all about?

Laura

Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Laura!

Pretty shocking film for me.

Okay,he was telling her to choose which padlock she wanted to be locked up with for the rest of her life..ie..under his control..he was locking them in different rooms.

Sick f..k..he was/is, the end bit with him in the bath made me so mad!

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Thanks for the clarification satanmademedoit.

Do you speak arabic? Just asking because I was wondering how acurate the subtitles were.

I really had such a sick feeling to my stomach for quite some time after watching this film.

[Frown]

Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,made an impact on me too!

I speak a little Arabic. You are right,some of the subtitles did not make sense but the pictures were enough to see the horror that was going on.

Sad thing is,this happens and also to a lesser degree here in Egypt.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie was done in Afghan, not arabi. And since this town is in the north it would be pushtin and the language of the pushtins.

And there was a revolt, demonstration in the north by widowed women and orphaned children. It was on the news and thee first report of the horrors of the Taliban. The Taliban militia that day shot and killed hundreds of women and children in this demonstration. Not that hundreds of widows and orphans turned out for the demonstration, no the taliban had squestered the widows into a district months before hand and there the militia shot them down in their own homes.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PATTAANS -----------PASHTU..... [Mad]
There are two major dialects of Pashto: Western Pashto spoken in Afghanistan and in the capital, Kabul, and Eastern Pashto spoken in northeastern Pakistan. Most speakers of Pashto speak these two dialects. Two other dialects are also distinguished: Southern Pashto, spoken in Baluchistan (western Pakistan and eastern Iran) and in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

The variation in spelling of the language's name (Pashto, Pukhto, etc.)

I PREFER TO BE IT KNOWN AS PASHTU .....

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chimps ..:
PATTAANS -----------PASHTU..... [Mad]
There are two major dialects of Pashto: Western Pashto spoken in Afghanistan and in the capital, Kabul, and Eastern Pashto spoken in northeastern Pakistan. Most speakers of Pashto speak these two dialects. Two other dialects are also distinguished: Southern Pashto, spoken in Baluchistan (western Pakistan and eastern Iran) and in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

The variation in spelling of the language's name (Pashto, Pukhto, etc.)

I PREFER TO BE IT KNOWN AS PASHTU .....

Well I couldn't remember the correct name of the dialect, it wasn't a copy and paste it was from memory.

The people are called pushtins, at least that is how it was worded in a handful of books I had read on the Hazaras.

Sorry to get it mixed up, I have only read so much on Afghanistan.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WASNT GETTING AT YOU OK ,,I KNEW ANY WAY WHAT THEY NORMALY LIKE TO BE KNOWN AS ...TAKE CARE ....CHIMPS.. [Smile] ,take no notice of the angry graemlin ..hope ur well .
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by chimps ..:
WASNT GETTING AT YOU OK ,,I KNEW ANY WAY WHAT THEY NORMALY LIKE TO BE KNOWN AS ...TAKE CARE ....CHIMPS.. [Smile] ,take no notice of the angry graemlin ..hope ur well .

I am having a much better winter, and I hope you and your daughter are happy and healthy too.

I am a huge fan of contemporary Afghan Sufis, I know of one who is a few years older than me, a hunk and basically one of the wisest people I have read about. But for the life of me I can't remember his name, only remember his face.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I see it's going to be on the Movie Channel this friday.

Any comments from those who have seen it? Good, bad, not worth watching?

sad movie, saw it once, don't plan to again...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very difficult movie to watch. Everything I've read or watched out of Afghanistan (not that I've read/seen that much) has been horribly heartbreaking. [Frown]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw two Afghan movies in my life, and then I thought never again.

They are always based on real stories and although I saw them years ago, I still have a heartache remembering the events.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com