EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Arabic Music Genres

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arabic Music Genres
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested to know the names of different Arabic Music styles (Like in the West we have Pop, Rock, RnB, Blues etc) The only one I can think of as a Style is Shaabi (Equivalent to Pop?). Can anyone else name (and explain) other types and give links to samples.

Shaabi

Shaabi (also spelt "chaabi") is Arabic for "popular" or "of the people". It is basically pop music with Arab, African and western influences.

Arab pop began to develop in Egypt during the mid-1960s with songs that were sometimes humorous or risqué and often had nationalist themes. Favourite singers of the time included Aida al-Shah and Layla Nasmy. This early pop had a mainly middle-class appeal until the early 1970s when Ahmed Adaweyah broke through into the mainstream with a more edgy kind of music that emerged from the poor districts of Cairo and rebelled against respectable society.

The most famous one of this genre that I know is Shaaban Abdel Raheem also known as Shaabola (Eeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh) and who started off as a laundry man (Mikwaagi). He is best known for his politically charged song lyrics dealing with issues such as Israel, Palestine and Iraq/Sadaam. I've read one Egyptian blogger call him the Egyptian 50 Cent [Big Grin]
BBC Report on Shaabola
Someone who doesn't like Shaabola? MaSSSSSrri hehehe
Ya Aam Arabi

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com