EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Troubadours in Hotels/Pubs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Troubadours in Hotels/Pubs?
Sano
Member # 13248

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, a newbie here. Would appreciate some opinions. I am a vocalist/acoustic guitar player, mainly playing music based on the American singer/songwriter tradition: Don Mclean, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce etc.. Would love to come to Egypt on a working holiday ..maybe perform in Hotels/pubs and spend some life in Egypt. Is there a market for Troubadouring ..or is it mostly bands? Any ideas on how I could go about this? Also, what are the names of some of the big bands in Egypt today, playing European music?

Thanks for any help. Regards from Finland.

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/aani1/acoustic/

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Adam,

I've never heard this term Troubadouring before. Is it like a one man band?

Anyway, I guess you can try these websites for more help:

Emajor - Forum
Bassit Club - Forum
Sawy Centre They have a number of artists who play regularly (bands and solo), but you have to audition and there's a waiting list.

Last year Spectra in Maadi (Restaurant in Cairo) hired a vocalist/acoustic guitar player for one week to play songs on request. Maybe they would be willing to do it again. It was quite fun - everyone had a song list and you wrote your requests on a piece of paper and gave it to the waiter to give to him to play. I've forgotten what his name was but he was also a foreigner and available for hire.

Try these places also because they hold events for foreigners and may be willing to hire you:

Ace Club
Community Services Association
Cairo Rugby Club
British Community Association

It might be a good idea for you to visit Egypt and make face to face contact with the hotels and bars because you don't always get much response from emails.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sano
Member # 13248

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great!! Many thanks for your reply .. very much appreciated!

A one man band is usually someone that uses some kind of Midi, pre-recorded electronic music, to back himself with, as well as play an instrument (usually guitar). A lot of people like the one man band concept because it provides a 'fuller' sound. Personally, I prefer the solo, one man with guitar.

I'll definitely check all these places up, thanks for taking the time to dig all this up for me.

All the best,
Adam

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the clarification and you're welcome for the links.

I listened to some of your music on your website and it sounded good. I agree, solo with guitar has a special sound.

I wish you the best of luck finding work in Cairo [Smile]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com