EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Woman sees own heart on display

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woman sees own heart on display
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuesday, 4 September 2007, 11:25 GMT 12:25 UK

Woman sees own heart on display

A woman has seen her own heart on display at a medical exhibition.

-
Jennifer looks at her old heart

Jennifer Sutton, 23, from Ringwood, Hampshire, successfully underwent an operation to replace her heart earlier this year.

She had developed a life-threatening condition called restrictive cardiomyopathy in her teens.

Now the original heart, which nearly killed her, has been put on temporary display by the Wellcome Collection in central London.

The exhibition explores the medical and cultural significance of the heart.

Finally I can see this odd looking lump of muscle that has given me so much upset
Jennifer Sutton

Jennifer decided to lend her heart to the Collection after undergoing surgery at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge, in June.

She hopes to help increase public awareness about organ donation - and the disease that could have ended her life.

Emotional experience

She said: "Seeing my heart for the first time is an emotional and surreal experience.

"It caused me so much pain and turmoil when it was inside me. Seeing it sitting here is extremely bizarre and very strange.

"Finally I can see this odd looking lump of muscle that has given me so much upset."

Restrictive cardiomyopathy causes the heart muscle to stiffen so the heart cannot relax normally after contraction.

As the disease progresses, the heart muscle continues to stiffen and eventually contraction is also affected.

The disease eventually causes death and a transplant is the only cure.

Four out of 10 deaths in the UK are from heart and circulatory disease, according to the British Heart Foundation.

On average heart patients wait 103 days for a suitable organ to become available.

Last year 28 patients died while listed for a heart transplant.

The Wellcome exhibition, which runs until 16 September, includes work by artists Leonardo da Vinci and Andy Warhol, and the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6977399.stm

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow.... that must be tough to look at. [Frown]

But seriously how long approximately will she be able to live with a heart transplant herself, anyone knows?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this on the Internet:
http://www.henryford.com/body.cfm?id=4586

How long will I live after a heart transplant?
The lifespan of heart transplant recipients vary widely, depending largely on how sick the patient was before the transplant. Naturally, younger, healthier patients can expect to live longer than patients who are over 65, or who have other problems such as high pressure in the blood vessels of their lungs do.

Heart transplant survival rates at Henry Ford Health System are significantly higher than national norms. About 90 percent of our transplant recipients live for at least one year after transplant. About 75 percent live for at least five years. And about 60 percent live for ten years or longer.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Zapel
Member # 14076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Zapel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh that is sad
I had a friend who had a heart transplant.
He caught a heart condition when he cycled in Jordan for a charity when his wife had cancer and was one day from dying till they found him a heart. he was 30 years old at the time and now it is approaching 10 years! I thought he would live his life like the rest of us now he had a new heart.
Mater Misericordiae hospital in Dublin is filled with wonderful people who saved his life and I thank God for that.

I wish I could remember the disease he caught.
I was through drinking unsterile milk in Jordan and it affected his heart so bad he needed transplant??
The doctors at the Mater had treated this before in Ireland so knew what was wrong with him or he would have probably died in any other hospital.
Dont drink unsterile milk people!

Oh I wish i could remember what it was called?

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how wonderful that your friend is doing good with his new heart.

I would also like to know what the disease is called. Can you let us know? I am absolutely convinced that his illness also damaged other organs; that his body experienced other side effects.

I just stumbled over a website which lists infectious diseases of potential risk for travellers for Sudan - HORRIFYING!!!! [Eek!]

http://www.emro.who.int/sudan/media/pdf/Infectious%20Diseases%20of%20Potential%20Risks%20for%20Travellers%20chapter%205.pdf

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Zapel
Member # 14076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Zapel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he is doing great but reading that maybe it will last for 10 years and he is that now is quite scary.
As far as I remember he got an infection from the milk in Jordan in the desert and it affected his heart. When he returned he was taken straight to the Mater, it took a few weeks of tests and then one brilliant doctor found that it was something to do with the milk and it was something he had seen in Ireland before, quite a rare thing i think, so he went on the list and while his wife was in London having cancer treatment he stayed in the Mater where they lived. Then she was released and stayed with him and he was so close to death that he was given the last rites a few times. His wife was told he would not survive the night and all the family and friends stayed with him and then the call came. A heart from Belgium I think? so that night he had the transplant and they did not think he had much chance as he was dying. he was 30 with a wife with cancer and a 6 year old child. He fought like crazy to survive and he made it. Has been on tablets since that day. ran the London marathon after the heart op for cancer research for his wife and does lots of charity work for heart and cancers. A real fine gentleman.

One day this will come back to me, I mean the name of it?????

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Incredible story indeed. When reading about his and his wife's ordeal it lets me appreciate health even more. He was so young and already needed desperately a new heart. He got lucky because usually there is quite a long waiting list and most of the people don't get a chance like that.

Is his wife okay now btw?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com