EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Jay-Z and Timbaland are being sued by an Egyptian music firm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jay-Z and Timbaland are being sued by an Egyptian music firm
massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/05092007/364/jay-z-timbaland-sued-big-pimpin.html&e=l_news_dm

Jay-Z and Timbaland sued over Big Pimpin'
(Wednesday September 05, 2007 09:40 AM)

Rap moguls Jay-Z and Timbaland are being sued by an Egyptian music firm, who claim the stars illegally copied a melody from a 1957 song.

Osama Admed Fahmy, who owns the copyright to the song Khosara, Khosara, has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Federal Court, accusing Jay-Z of using the track's melody in his 2000 single Big Pimpin', which appeared on his 1999 album Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter.

This latest lawsuit follows an August decision by a California judge to dismiss another lawsuit by Ahab Joseph Nafal, who claimed Big Pimpin' infringed the copyright of Khosara, Khorasa.

Lawyers for EMI Records argued the 50-year-old track was governed by the 1909 Copyright Act, AllHipHop.com reports.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Big Pimpin'* LOL [Cool]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plUy7Me_fZQ

"....In June of 2000, the largest daily newspaper in Egypt published a story titled “Pimpin’ a Classic,” probing the use of “Khosara Khosara” by Jay-Z. In the Al-Ahram story, the newspaper identifies “Khosara Khosara” as an “extremely famous” tune in its native land...."

http://www.pacbiztimes.com/index.cfm?go2=articles/wk_051305b

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of that incident the year before when Enya almost sued the singer Mario Winans and rapper P. Diddy/Puffy (Sean Combs) because their music featured Enya from her Celtic song, Boudicea. The funny thing was that her song was also featured by popular rap group the Fugees over a decade ago! LOL

Mario Winan's song, I don't Wanna Know

And the Fugees' song, Ready Or Not

Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com