EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » PRECIOUS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PRECIOUS
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRECIOUS

I have never seen Mo’Nique like this! I know her as a comedian, not some foulmouthed violent derelict. She should win an Oscar, her performance is beyond what we should expect from any actress. There is no holding back; we get the full scope of human failure and suffering. Her long monologue toward the end at social services about the start of the abuse of her child is a masterpiece. The why and the how. It sounds like an improvisation, like many other scenes in this movie, which makes it all very believable. The actors are not only acting but are showing their real persons as well. Mariah Carey playing Miss Weiss and wanting to now what race Precious thinks she is. Yet my only complaint is that so much disaster has to strike in one place. Like a Greek tragedy, very cathartic. Makes me happy with the little disfunctionalities around me, in my life. They do not make bad movies anymore but seldom tell a story straight. Today it’s all very experimental which I like and loath as experiments sometimes covers weak storylines. But not in this case, where we are offered a lot to think about. Precious looking at herself in the mirror but looking at a white girl, her reference of beauty, is shocking. Strange tenderness between mother and daughter when the mother complains of hunger, forces Precious to cook and then insist she eat the food as well. This was her twisted way of nurturing, her twisted way of showing love. Later we see her tossing a baby to the floor, because they cut her welfare cheque. We are shown a part of America which we seldom hear about and always makes me wonder how such an unjust society, which does not care about its poor and needy, can bring any justice to anyone outside the US.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched her in Phat Girlz last night!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
We are shown a part of America which we seldom hear about and always makes me wonder how such an unjust society, which does not care about its poor and needy, can bring any justice to anyone outside the US.

I have firsthand experience inside this "system" in New York City. If it is a subject that interests you you can look for this book:

Rachel and Her Children

It is an expose on homelessness/poverty in the New York City welfare system in the 1980's.

But, I agree totally with what you said in your quote here. America is, sadly, a country that does not take care of it's own. They are too busy trying to "take care" of everyone else.

I haven't seen the movie Precious yet, but I plan to.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:

But, I agree totally with what you said in your quote here. America is, sadly, a country that does not take care of it's own. They are too busy trying to "take care" of everyone else.

You are completely right. America is more worried about what's happening outside of the fence than inside.

I've seen so much poverty in certain parts in Alabama and Georgia I never thought to see. I always believed that America was a rich country where everyone lives good and a land of the golden opportunity for anyone. But that's not the case.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Michael Moore in Capitalism, a love story, Americans believe they can be rich one day, so they do not oppose the system. In Precious we see Precious having dreams of riches and success, of being famous. This is how they keep the people in check. Oprah mentioned once that they let you become rich, they let you keep the money, but you cannot use the money to attack the system, to try to change the system. This she learned from the trial after she announced not to be eating beef anymore, because of the unnatural practices as feeding cows dead cows.
Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capitalism - A Love Story is another movie I have on my must see list.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched this movie and it made me and my daughter cry.she was pregnant by her dad and he had been raping her since almost birth. it was so sad.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by TigerLily:
I watched her in Phat Girlz last night!! [Big Grin]

http://www.altfg.com/Stars/p/precious-mo-nique.JPG

[The other side of Mo'nique]

I know her only from Moesha where she is all gentle, womanly sweetness with huge fake eyelashes and dignified dresses that skim over her bulges. In Precious she lets it all hang out, she is a mess, she is real. There are so many details to remember. Her mother, now quiet and caring is asked about how she carried on in her day. What did she do to make Mo'Nique become like that. Then there is this fleeting suggestion that Precious also had to service her mother who woke from a sweet, wet dream.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
i watched this movie and it made me and my daughter cry.she was pregnant by her dad and he had been raping her since almost birth. it was so sad.

Dear, you seem to cry a lot. Is it PMS? You were a bit harsh to me but I have forgiven you because you cry a lot because you have PMS.
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Dear, you seem to cry a lot. Is it PMS? You were a bit harsh to me but I have forgiven you because you cry a lot because you have PMS.
what do u mean i was harsh to u?and no i do not have pms. i am just very emotional when it comes to kids gettin abused and women as well.
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
quote:
quote:

what do u mean i was harsh to u?and no i do not have pms. i am just very emotional when it comes to kids gettin abused and women as well.
But you cried over 2012 as well, buckets if I recall. What was the abuse there? You are like Oprah in the beginning, bawling at every turn.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com