EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Tyrannohotep's Art Returns (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Tyrannohotep's Art Returns
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrannohotep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
I colored this sketchbook doodle of a Tyrannosaurus rex portrait with my colored pencils. My reference for the head was a photo of the specimen labeled BHI 3033, better known to the public by its nickname "Stan" (although we don't know for sure what sex it would have been).

Posts: 4302 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrannohotep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
In celebration of October, I've drawn this an Egyptian mummy chick whom I'm nicknaming "Mummique" (it's a mix between "mummy" and the name Monique). I don't have any story planned for her, but I like to imagine that she works as a TV horror host in the tradition of the character Vampira (from Ed Wood's movie Plan 9 from Outer Space).

Posts: 4302 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Remember that Egyptian/Neanderthal dude whose portrait I drew a couple of days ago? Well, these two would be his doting mommy and daddy. I will leave to your imagination how they could have gotten together, but they're from an alternate history where all of humanity stayed within Africa while the Neanderthals got to keep western Eurasia. The Neanderthal dad in this pairing is from one of the Middle Eastern populations, which is why he has tan skin and dark hair instead of the pale skin and red hair of more northerly Neanderthal populations in Europe.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This would be a fictional warrior queen from somewhere in the Congo Basin of Central Africa. Part of the inspiration for the character came from the historically documented Queen Nzinga of Ndongo and Matamba, who lived in what is now Angola and is known for fighting the Portuguese. The wicker shield she's carrying is influenced by those used by warriors from Congolese societies such as the Mangbetu and Zande.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is the colored version of my concept for a Congolese warrior queen. I drew the color scheme of her jewelry and clothing from the flags of two countries in the Congolese region, the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (or D.R.C.). The shield design, on the other hand, is based on the wicker shields used by warriors from Congolese societies such as the Zande/Azande and Mangbetu.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I don't have much to say about this doodle other than that it's an Egyptian woman who's probably of commoner status. It seems that whenever my muse is temporarily on the fritz, Egyptian beauties are one of the subjects I default to. Either that, or it's some kind of dinosaur.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I wasn't originally going to color my last Egyptian portrait, but after taking a second look at her, I thought she was too strikingly beautiful not to color. I think it's something about her eyes that's really alluring.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a speculative portrait of a Triceratops that has ridges on its horns (or rather the keratin covering thereof), much like you would find on the horns of an African antelope. However, I left the tips smooth-sided for better penetration in case a T. rex or some other predator were to attack it.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I drew these two as an exercise in portraying dripping wet hair of different textures. The chick on the left is ancient Egyptian and the one on the right is from the Maya civilization of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a work-in-progress scene which I will color over the weekend. There's a bit of compositional inspiration here from the paleo-artist Doug Henderson, who's known for dinosaur scenes dominated by the foliage rather than the animals themselves.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Tyrannosaurus rex stands at the edge of a glade deep in the rainforest. There's a bit of compositional inspiration here from the paleo-artist Doug Henderson, who's known for dinosaur scenes dominated by the foliage rather than the animals themselves.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Deep in the eastern Egyptian desert, diorite statues of the lion goddess Sekhmet guard an ancient diamond mine.

I'm not actually aware of diamonds ever being found in Egypt. But since the desert hills in the eastern part of the country are made of igneous rock (the kind of rock where diamonds are often found), maybe there are some waiting to be discovered over there?

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Did you know that the oldest recorded variation of the Cinderella fairy tale was set in ancient Egypt? According to a brief account by the Greek historian Strabo, an Egyptian courtesan named Rhodopis had one of her sandals carried off by an eagle, which then dropped it in the Pharaoh's lap. Once the Pharaoh's men identified the sandal as hers, Rhodopis became his wife, and he buried her within the third pyramid at Giza. Of course, over the centuries the story would be embellished into a classic underdog tale, which Walt Disney would adapt into the animated movie we all grew up with.

For my interpretation of Cinderella, I combined influences from her original Egyptian background and the Disney design. Her sandals are supposed to be made of glass like in the Disney version.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
For some reason, the word "elegant" was what came to mind when I was doodling this character in my sketchbook.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my interpretation of Menat, an Egyptian fortune teller who is a recently introduced playable character in the game Street Fighter V. She's the second character from the continent of Africa in the entire game series, the first one being Elena from Kenya. I should probably draw Elena next, especially since her design is in severe need of an overhaul (c'mon, Capcom, are people of African descent really that hard to draw for you guys?).

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I've come down with a nasty case of the flu in the last couple of days, so I colored my earlier drawing "Elegant" to cheer myself up and kill time. I think she came out even prettier here than in the original pencil drawing.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my portrayal of Sundiata Keita, the warrior prince who founded the empire of Mali in West Africa around 1235 AD. He is the namesake protagonist of the Sundiata Epic, a copy of which I have on my bookshelf.

Elite Diasporan
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elite Diasporan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NICE...
Posts: 1147 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Elite Diasporan:
NICE...

Thanks!

-
This young Semang girl hails from the Southeast Asian island of Singapore sometime in its ancient past. The Semang are a "Negrito" people native to the jungles of peninsular Malaysia. They most probably represent the region's aboriginal inhabitants before the coming of the Malays and other "Mongoloid" Southeast Asians, and I'm confident some of them would have crossed the Straits of Johor to colonize Singapore in very early times. Nowadays, most of Singapore's resident population is made up of Chinese, Indian, and Malay people (along with expats from all over the world), but who knows what remains to be found deep in the island's surviving jungles?

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
A jungle huntress stands in front of her house, a temporary shelter made from dead leaves over a framework of branches. Many rainforest-dwelling hunter-gatherer peoples in our own world, such as the Central African Pygmies and the Negritos of Southeast Asia, construct similar shelters for their camps.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I recently went on a trip to the San Diego Zoo, and I thought the Masai giraffes over there were particularly evocative of the Jurassic sauropod dinosaur Brachiosaurus altithorax (the sauropod famously featured in the movie Jurassic Park). Zoos are always great places for inspiring paleo art like this.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is another stab at a pin-up of Sekhmet, the leonine goddess of war in the ancient Egyptian pantheon. This time, I wanted to put more emphasis on her whole lion motif by attaching a lion's mane to her headband. The hieroglyphs in the upper right corner spell out her name in the native Egyptian language.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
It's the month of Halloween, and I felt a voodoo sorceress would fit well into that theme. The skull on her staff is based on that of the Allosaurus, a predatory dinosaur from the Jurassic period.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Ankhesenpepi II was an Egyptian queen of the sixth dynasty (2345-2181 BC) during the Old Kingdom period. She got her start as a consort for the Pharaohs Pepi I and Merenre Nemtyemsaf I, the latter of whom fathered her son Pepi II. When it was time for Pepi II to take the throne in 2278 BC, he was still a little boy, so Ankhesenpepi would have ruled for him as regent until he came of age. A wooden sculpture depicting Ankhesenpepi has recently been unearthed in the area of Saqqara in northern Egypt (near the pyramids of Giza), which is why I did this quick portrait of her.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a map I created in Photoshop to go along with one of my writing projects. It's going to be a prehistoric fantasy with dinosaurs, other prehistoric beasts, and tribal humans at a hunter-gatherer level of subsistence. You could say that it's following the tradition of old caveman movies like One Million Years BC and When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, although there is also a dash of inspiration from more "realistic" prehistoric fiction such as Steven Barnes's Great Sky Woman. The storyline I have planned for it is fundamentally about two sisters, one of whom runs away from their band in pursuit of a new life and the other setting out to bring her back.

I created the textures for the rainforest and savanna terrains on this map myself using photos taken from an aerial point of view.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
The plates on this Stegosaurus ungulatus blaze bright right to reflect its aggravated, defensive mood. I personally like to imagine that Stegosaurus and its cousins could change the color of their plates much as chameleons change their hide color today (it's an idea that evolved from the portrayal of Stegosaurus turning its plates red as a warning display in the old BBC documentary Walking with Dinosaurs).

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is concept art for a character named Muambi, who's from a prehistoric fantasy I plan to write in a few days. She is the priestly matriarch of a clan that has settled beside a river, acting as both a spiritual and political leader for her people. As such, Muambi has devoted herself with ferocious zeal to upholding the clan's traditions and punishing any defiance thereof, but she is nonetheless more than happy to aid the needy and welcome newcomers and outcasts into her society.

-
This dude, whose name is Chingwe, is another planned character from my prehistoric fantasy story. He's the father of the village priestess-chieftain Muambi and the lead hunter of their riverside village. Chingwe also had a son whom he lost in an altercation with some "forest roamers" (i.e. hunter-gatherers who forage and camp in the jungle), and he has held a xenophobic distrust for those people ever since. The scars on his chest would have been inflicted by an attacking dinosaur in another incident.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Neitetis was a daughter of the Egyptian Pharaoh Wahibre Haaibre (589-570 BC) who married the Persian Shah Cambyses II after her father had died in a coup. According to a (probably fictitious) account by the Greek historian Athenaios of Naucratis, Cambyses had apparently bought into a stereotype that Egyptian women were better sexual performers than others and so requested that the Pharaoh Ahmose II send him one of his daughters as a bride. However, Egyptian Pharaohs normally did not give away their own daughters as wives for foreign kings, so Ahmose sent his predecessor's daughter instead. At first Cambyses was a satisfied customer, but once Neitetis disclosed to him that she was the daughter of Wahibre rather than Ahmose, he invaded and conquered Egypt out of fury at being cheated.

I doubt that's how the Persian invasion of Egypt actually got started, but I think it is an amusing bit of fiction nonetheless, and it gave me the opportunity to mix ancient Persian and Egyptian influences in a portrait.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I wanted to draw something for Halloween tonight, and earlier today I saw a (very unfavorable) review of the recent Mummy reboot by the Nostalgia Critic and the Angry Video Game Nerd. It inspired me to do another "re-imagined" version of Ahmanet, the reboot's titular antagonist. This time, I based her look on the beautiful actress Gabrielle Union (a high-school crush of mine), although I've never been that good at capturing exact likenesses of real people.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This couple represents the earliest speakers of the Proto-Semitic language, which would eventually evolve into all the Semitic languages of the Middle East (e.g. Hebrew, Arabic, Phoenician, and Assyrian). Although Proto-Semitic itself most probably emerged in the Middle East around 3800-3500 BC, it is descended from a larger linguistic phylum known as Afrasan (or Afroasiatic) which first emerged in northeastern Africa >13,000 years ago. Which is to say, Proto-Semitic essentially represents another prehistoric migration of African people into the Middle East (before the locals absorbed them and adopted their language). The sheepskin skirts these Proto-Semitic individuals are wearing in my illustration are inspired by Sumerian descriptions of the nomadic Amorites, an early branch of the Semitic peoples.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Recently I had a dream in which I was playing Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, which was supposed to be released on Oct. 19th this year before a last-minute postponing to sometime in "early 2018". Like most people in the Age of Empires fandom, I was unpleasantly shocked and angered by that news. But I am still excited for the game nonetheless, so I let my dream inspire this fan portrayal of the original game's Broad Swordsman unit. Of course, I couldn't resist a little race- and gender-bending, as the original Age was something of a melanin-challenged sausage fest as far as the unit graphics were concerned (though to be fair, all its playable civilizations were from the Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and East Asian regions).

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is an updated design for Takhaet, a character I created for a short story back in early 2016. She was this veteran Egyptian soldier who started her career fighting for the Pharaoh Amenhotep III, but found herself (and her little niece Nebet) at the receiving end of religious persecution by Amenhotep's "heretical" successor Akhenaten. The story, titled "The Battle Roar of Sekhmet", was about her fighting on behalf of both her traditional religious beliefs and her niece. Among all my characters, I would say Takhaet ranks among my personal favorites since she's the one Egyptian warrior chick whose story I actually finished.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I wanted to make some fan art for the Jurassic Park franchise, but with a naturalistic tone like you would see in more serious paleo art. So here's Blue the raptor (from Jurassic World) giving her talons a little cleaning with her tongue. Even movie monsters must have their mundane moments, after all.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This my sketchy portrait of the Grand Vizier Ay, who is a main antagonist in my old short story "The Battle Roar of Sekhmet". However, he is a real personage from ancient Egyptian history rather than a fictional character. Originally a nobleman from Akhmim in southern Egypt, Ay got his government career started under the Pharaoh Amenhotep III and continued under Akhenaten and Tutankhamun. After Tut's early departure to the afterlife, Ay took his place as Pharaoh in 1323 BC, but seems to have been overthrown by the general Horemheb a mere four years later. Horemheb even went so far as to wipe out as much mention of him as possible from Egyptian records, as if trying to completely erase Ay from the annals of history.

In my story (which takes place in 1350 BC, early in the reign of Akhenaten), I portray Ay as a creepy and aging Vizier in charge of persecuting the traditional Egyptian religion on the behalf of Akhenaten's "Atenist" reforms. And I honestly believe Ay was a creepy guy in real life, too. After Tut's death, his widow Ankhesenamun sent a request to the Hittites to send her a prince for a husband, but the groom just happened to die en route and she ended up marrying Ay (her grandpa) anyway. Either he was ravenous for power and prestige, or he had a serious entitlement mentality with regards to women. Maybe both.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Takhaet, my Egyptian warrior character from over a year ago, now possesses a pair of bars strung together to form a vicious swinging weapon. Today, we call them nunchucks.

In all seriousness, nunchucks (or nunchaku) actually originated from the island of Okinawa which lies south of Japan. They started out as an agricultural tool before being modified into a lethal defensive weapon in the martial arts. But the idea of an Egyptian warrior babe wielding nunchucks was too awesome to pass up.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Nefrusheri, my Egyptian warrior princess, brandishes her dual nunchaku (or nunchucks) as a defensive display of intimidation. Because I wanted to continue on with the theme of Egyptian-style nunchucks.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This woman from ancient Egypt has her hair covered with linen cloth to protect it from the sand and dust of the Sahara. It's similar to an African-American do-rag, and there are Egyptian tomb paintings of men wearing similar headwraps while winnowing grain. And given the ancient Egyptian fondness for styling their hair (especially into braids and dreadlocks), they must have felt a similar need to protect and maintain it. We know people throughout Africa and the African Diaspora (e.g. African-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans) wear wraps of cloth around their hair for that purpose, so maybe the Egyptians did as well?

By the way, if you're seeing weird lines in her skin, those are dents in the sketchbook paper from an earlier drawing. Unfortunately, not all sketchbook paper is equally robust.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my interpretation of Amanra, a character from the game Age of Mythology (a mythological spin-off of Age of Empires). She was an agile warrior princess from Kush who became the single-player campaign's leading lady after appearing in its Egyptian act. Looking back, the casting of a strong and attractive African woman as the leading female character in a game was quite remarkable, considering that diverse representation in games wasn't such a hot topic back when AoM came out in 2002. Unfortunately, I have a hunch that certain critics today would overlook that and fixate on the character being textured with an exposed midriff.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I couldn't resist coloring my earlier portrait, which depicts a woman from ancient Egypt wearing a protective wrap of cloth around her hair. I also added some blue stripes to the cloth to make it look, well, more Egyptian-ish.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Beauty standards may change across time and space, but the human desire to meet them never will.

However, some specific insecurities, such as Ramses's here, may be more timeless than others.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a split portrait of the goddess Isis (or Auset) as she would have been seen in the different cultures that venerated her. On the left is the original Egyptian and Kushite portrayal or her, whereas on the right is the version the Greeks and Romans adopted after incorporating Egypt into their empires. In both cases, the goddess would have been represented in the image of her human disciples. It's a bit like how Jesus's appearance in art changes from Middle Eastern to European, African, etc. depending on the culture depicting him.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a quick portrait of a Daspletosaurus torosus that I did while listening to a series of Youtube interviews with paleontologist Thomas Carr (who specializes in tyrannosaurids). Daspletosaurus, which lived between 77 and 74 million years ago in North America, may have been the ancestor of Tyrannosaurus rex as well as the Asian Tarbosaurus bataar. The two species recognized within the Daspletosaurus genus are D. torosus and the later, more recently described D. horneri.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I had this mental image of a woman dressed in red, standing in a field with a spear in hand, and that is what I drew. I wish I had more of a story in mind for this character, but not right now. I will say she came out looking rather South Sudanese to me, though.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This character would be a woman from ancient Egypt who has married into the imperial family of China after a long journey across the Indian Ocean. Her story was inspired by that of Queen Ankhesenamun, who was Pharaoh Tutankhamun's chief wife. After Tut died and his vizier Ay took over, Ankhesenamun's known to have requested a husband from the Hittites of Anatolia, only for the man they sent to die en route. It's likely that Ay and his goons had something to do with that. It makes me think Ankhesenamun really didn't want to be Ay's wife, so what if she fled the country afterwards? For all we know, she could have very well traveled all the way to China and married into the ruling Shang dynasty. Right now, though, her fate remains a mystery of ancient history...

By the way, the characters on the upper right spell "Egyptian" in Chinese.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a sketchbook portrait of my original character Nefrusheri. She was this Egyptian (or pseudo-Egyptian) warrior princess I created for a fantasy story wherein she had to retrieve a magic staff stolen by the Chinese (or pseudo-Chinese). Unfortunately I am still stumped on the plotting process, but I don't want to give up on it since I've given up on way too many projects in the past. Somehow I am going to figure out how to make it work!

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a warrior from one of the ancient Yue peoples, who lived in the subtropical jungles of southern China until the first millennium AD. Chinese sources portrayed them as tattooed savages without knowledge of bronze technology or even bows and arrows, but they seem to have been more than competent at cultivating rice, shipbuilding, ceramics, and working jade. Genetic analyses of their remains suggests an affinity with the Austronesian and Tai-Kadai peoples of Southeast Asia (as shown by high frequencies of the Y-chromosome haplogroup O1), but eventually they would be absorbed into the Chinese empire during the Han dynasty.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a spearman from Irem, a region of eastern Sudan mentioned in ancient Egyptian records during the New Kingdom. Its precise location is unknown (and not much information about it is easily available as far as I can tell), but it seems to have been somewhere further up the Nile from Kush. In the end, however, the Kushite kingdom would expand and annex the territory once designated as Irem.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a late-night sketchbook doodle of a generic dromaeosaurid (or "raptor") in attack mode. I have to say that, although I grew up on the lipped raptors of Jurassic Park, the crocodile-like lipless look for theropods is growing on me. On raptors, it gives them a reptilian edge despite their otherwise avian aspects.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a retro-style Tyrannosaurus rex that I drew while watching the old King Kong movie on a lazy afternoon. To be honest, the dinosaurs in the original Kong impress me far more than the titular gorilla, whom I think looks goofy and cartoonish for the comparison. Of course, the Kong inspiration is also why I added a ruined statue to the scene. I rather like the fantasy juxtaposition of prehistoric life with ancient ruins.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a design for a futuristic Egyptian vehicle, based on their ancient war chariots. I owe a lot of my inspiration here to the "Afrofuturism" movement, which sets out to combine pre-colonial African and Afro-Diasporan cultural influences with futuristic and science-fiction themes. I don't normally do futuristic stuff like this, but this was nonetheless a fun concept to design.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com