EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Tyrannohotep's Art Returns (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Tyrannohotep's Art Returns
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrannohotep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Halszkaraptor escuilliei (a very difficult time to spell or pronounce, I know) may have resembled a waterfowl, but it was actually a dromaeosaurid dinosaur (or "raptor") that lived in Asia between 75 and 71 million years ago, during the Late Cretaceous. Its skeletal anatomy suggests that it would have hunted aquatic prey and therefore may have lived a semi-aquatic lifestyle similar to water birds today. In retrospect, I should have added webbing to the dinosaur's feet, but I guess the giant water lilies here give it a comfortable perch from which to catch little fish.

Posts: 4435 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrannohotep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
It's been a while since I last drew one of my sexy female Pharaohs. But it's a subject I'm more than happy to return to, at least once in a while. This one's pose and looks were based on a photo of the quite attractive adult-entertainment model and actress Osa Lovely.

Posts: 4435 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Cleopatra has finished her hot bath and is heading her way out of the royal bathhouse with both her towel and headwrap on. Mostly, I wanted a pretext for drawing Cleo with an African-style headwrap and decided it would make sense if she were drying her hair after a bath.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
One morning in the Late Cretaceous, Tyrannosaurus rex goes sniffing for its breakfast. Scientists have inferred from brain endocasts that T. rex's sense of smell would have been among the keenest of the dinosaurs, a handy trait for rooting out prey deep in the prehistoric woods.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a princess from the Empire of Asanteman, an Akan-speaking kingdom which thrived in what is now the West African country of Ghana between 1670 and 1902. Today, the Asante kingdom's territory is constitutionally protected by the Ghanaian government.

I drew this as a commissioned piece for one of my Instagram followers, who is planning to set up a theme park and resort about Africa's history and cultural heritage sometime in the future. I wish them the best of luck with their undertaking!

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
The Empire of Azhurya, from whence this soldier hails, is another nation in the same world that my original character, Queen Rashekhu of Djakhem, inhabits. Azhurya is located in a desert continent to the distant north of Djakem's jungles, and its culture and look (as you might guess from the name) are based mainly on ancient Assyria, with a few touches of the later Ottoman Empire here and there. The Azhuryans are among the most technologically advanced civilizations of the known world, especially thanks to the gunpowder technology they acquired from the (Chinese-based) Shangzhou Empire to their east. The musket the soldier here carries (modeled on our world's jezail) is a common example of the firearms used by the Azhuryan military.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
On July the 1st in 1863, Union soldiers march to battle across the fields of Gettysburg, accompanied by a herd of war elephants imported from Thailand. The scene depicted here is a fictional "alternative history" scenario, but the King of Thailand (then known as Siam) actually did write Lincoln a letter offering to send war elephants to help with the Union war effort. Unfortunately, Lincoln turned him down. It's even more ironic considering how the elephant became the animal symbolic of Lincoln's Republican party.

This, by the way, was a commissioned piece I did for one of my DeviantArt followers. It was a challenging scene to get right, but you have to admit he gave me a totally radical concept to work with. [Big Grin]

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
With Black History Month now upon us, I figured I'd celebrate by coloring an older drawing of mine which depicts the Egyptians building one of their famous pyramids. While the Pharaoh calls the shots and his workers hull the stones up the rubble ramps, a royal musician cheers everyone up with his drumming and singing. I like to imagine the Egyptians sang or chanted to one another while doing all their heavy labor.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
After experiencing another bout of nostalgia for my pencil-drawing days, I doodled this humble commoner girl from ancient Egypt. As much as the glamour of the Pharaohs and their Queens may allure us, the majority of Egyptians would have lived as rural peasants in villages along the Nile, farming the floodplains to supply food both for themselves and the rest of the country. The woman's dress here is based on one from various Egyptian tomb paintings, which depict a sheath dress that had a strap over the shoulders but left the breasts exposed.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Because I couldn't resist the desire to add some color to that Egyptian girl I drew earlier. Like I said before, she represents the commoner class of ancient Egypt, such as the farmers who would have made up the bulk of the country's population.

-
I sketched out this diagram for use as a reference for reconstructing the face of tyrannosaurids, the family of meat-eating dinosaurs that includes the famous Tyrannosaurus rex and its close relatives. Some of the features portrayed here are speculative (as all paleoart involves artistic speculation to one degree or another), but most of the ones I have labeled can be inferred from fossil data. For example, we now know that most of a tyrannosaurid dinosaur's face would have been covered with a "cracked", scaly texture dotted with little sensory bumps like you see on modern crocodilians. This texture seems to have run all the way to the teeth, which would preclude the existence of lizard- or mammal-like lips. The scales that would have covered the rest of the body appear to have been small and fine for the most part. In addition, the typical tyrannosaurid would have had a lacrimal horn in front of the eye and a post-orbital horn or crest behind it. The snout would have had a bumpy crest on top of it.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is me learning to draw the textures of braided hair. Braids appear to have been a favorite hairstyle in ancient Egypt and Kush, as well as various other cultures throughout the continent of Africa. But I tell you, so far drawing them has proven to be time-consuming and difficult. Maybe I'll speed up and get better with more practice.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I'm practicing braided hair textures some more and I think I'm getting better at it. This one is supposed to depict cornrows, a hairstyle that would have originated in West Africa during ancient times before spreading as far afield as Ethiopia and even across the Mediterranean to classical Greece. I rather like how glossy these came out looking.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Hathor, the Egyptian goddess of love and fertility, is rockin' a cornrowed hairstyle while sauntering by. Drawing and shading braided hair is becoming less tedious and more fun with practice. This time, it was the hands that were the hardest part.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This fierce Vandal warrior is all too eager to paint his ax with the blood of his enemies!

Originating in the south of Scandinavia, the Vandals were one of multiple Germanic peoples who migrated from northern Europe into the crumbling Roman Empire. They would have been driven away from their traditional homelands by the Asian Huns, but soon gained a reputation for barbarism and brutality in their own right during their conflicts with the Romans. Among their infamous achievements were sacking Rome itself in 455 AD and carving out a kingdom of their own along the northwest African coast. This Vandal state would last until a Byzantine force crushed it in 534 AD. Of course, the Vandals were the tribe who gave us the modern words "vandal" and "vandalism".

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is a young woman from an ancient culture known as the Nok, which dominated the northeastern corner of what is now Nigeria in West Africa between 1000 BC and 500 AD. This culture of iron-working farmers is best known for the large number of terracotta sculptures they produced, which depict human subjects with elaborate coiffures and jewelry. It is possible that the Nok culture was ancestral to the Yoruba people who today constitute around 21% of the Nigerian population.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
The TODAY Show recently displayed what they claimed was a "reconstruction" of the Egyptian Queen Nefertiti's face, which portrayed her as resembling a green-eyed Northern European woman with a light tan. Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous too, so here's my own counter-reconstruction of how the senior wife of Pharaoh Akhenaten probably looked.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I had a bit of a bad day elsewhere on the Internet. To chill out and distract myself from online drama for a few moments, I doodled this Allosaurus rearing up in some kind of threat display. I think they're trying to scare intruders away from their territory or something.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I wanted to play with a new set of soft pencils I got at our local Jo-Ann's. These female portraits each represent different "racial" populations across the world: African, Middle Eastern, Aboriginal Australian, Native American, Asian, and European. Regrettably, I was not able to fit in portraits representing the Indian, Melanesian, or Polynesian populations, so it's not a complete exhibition by any means.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my attempt at an Egyptian warrior or huntress in a crouching or squatting pose. I must admit that poses like this are something I need much more practice with. The knees in particular are hard to get right.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
A crocodile of the species Crocodylus suchus warms itself up on the dark silty floodplains along the Nile River in Egypt. Originally thought to belong to the Nile crocodile species (Crocodylus niloticus), the crocodile species venerated and even mummified by the ancient Egyptians are now recognized as their own, separate species that is also found across West and Central Africa today.

I should draw crocodilians much more often, as they are fierce and quite magnificent predators.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Some hunters like to bring dogs with them to help with tracking and chasing down their quarry. This Egyptian huntress, on the other hand, is more of a cat person. A BIG cat person, to be exact.

I drew the lioness on a separate piece of paper from her human counterpart before I combined them into one file using Photoshop. Thank Adobe for the wondrous power of layer masks!

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
An Egyptian huntress crouches in the tall grass of the Nile floodplain with her lioness companion by her side. Besides adding color to my earlier drawing, I wanted to fix the woman's crouching pose by raising her knees a bit.

Linda Fahr
Suspended
Member # 21979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Fahr   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not into dinosaurs, actually, I don't like reptiles.

But, everything else you do I love it....
You are the second person I know that developed their own art style.
It is great....

--------------------
---lnnnnn*

Posts: 198 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
^ Thank you (even if I can't agree with you about dinosaurs or reptiles). [Smile]
Linda Fahr
Suspended
Member # 21979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Fahr   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyrannohotep,

Ok..let's put in that way...
I wouldnd't have a snake, crocodile or a dragon for a pet... [Big Grin]

--------------------
---lnnnnn*

Posts: 198 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Fahr
Suspended
Member # 21979

Rate Member
Tyrannohotep,

I wouldn't have a snake, crocodile or a dragon as a pet [Big Grin]

--------------------
---lnnnnn*

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Fahr:
Tyrannohotep,

I wouldnd't have a snake, crocodile or a dragon for a pet... [Big Grin]

A cousin of mine once owned an Australian bearded dragon. I always thought it was a gorgeous animal. But to each their own. I myself don't care for dogs.
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Our young Egyptian warrior and her lioness companion confront a giant denwen that has terrorized the countryside with its flaming breath.

In ancient Egyptian mythology, the denwen was a fiery, dragon-like serpent attested to as far back as the Old Kingdom. It was capable of destroying even the gods themselves, but could be defeated by the spirit of a dead Pharaoh. We can only hope our heroine and her pet have the same luck against this monster!

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my design for a hypothetical "flag" representing the ancient Egyptian culture and nation (aka Kemet). I chose red, green, and black as the main colors in part because those are the traditional pan-African colors, but also because black in Egyptian culture represented the dark floodplains alongside the Nile river and red the desert beyond. However, since I wanted to have a little gold and blue in my design as well, I made the ankh symbol in the middle light blue with a gold border.

Elite Diasporan
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elite Diasporan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^LOve the above pic...
Posts: 1248 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Elite Diasporan:
^^LOve the above pic...

Thank you.

To be honest, I was a bit unsure about how much gold I needed for the flag design. In my mind, blue and gold are the most quintessentially Egyptian colors. On the other hand, I also wanted to get the point across that ancient Egypt was an African civilization, and the pan-African colors tie in nicely with the Black Land/Red Land dichotomy in the Egyptian worldview.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I wanted to do male counterparts to my Egyptian huntress character and her lioness, so here's a Pharaoh standing with his pet male lion in the tall grass of the Nile floodplains. You have to admit that the king of the African plains would make a logical pet for the King of the Nile.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Rashekhu, the fierce young Queen of Djakhem, is ready to dispatch her enemies from the back of her loyal tyrannosaur Apekhuri!

Queen Rashekhu and Apekhuri are two characters I created for one of my fantasy stories. I've drawn concept art for each of them in the past, so now it was time to do a full illustration featuring them in action together.

You can read an excerpt from their story here.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my stab at a Presidential portrait for Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States of America. I wasn't such a big fan of the recently publicized one with the flowery background, as I thought it looked too quaint and that Obama needed something more imposing and heroic. With this one, I wanted to channel illustrations of the Carthaginian Hannibal crossing the Alps on an elephant, except Obama and his elephant would be crossing the hills of Oahu, Hawaii (near where he was born). The shield Obama is carrying on his left hand is based on Luo designs, since his dad was of Kenyan Luo heritage.

By the way, I know an elephant might seem an ironic choice of mount for a Democratic politician like Obama. On the other hand, donkeys are not nearly as impressive in my opinion (Jesus got away with it because he wanted to make a point about his humbleness).

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Although the Egyptian goddess Bastet (or Bast) is best known for her domestic cat motif, she seems to have begun as a fearsome lion goddess like Sekhmet. Over time, her image softened up so that she became goddess of the home and domesticity (though she still had a protective role against evil spirits). For this portrait of her, I went with a black panther motif in reference to a recent superhero movie I saw (and enjoyed quite a lot).

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is the "colorized" version of my doodle of the Egyptian goddess Bastet. When you colorize pencil art this way in Photoshop (by drawing the colors on a layer with the "Color" blending mode over the original drawing), it makes it look almost like art created using colored pencils.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Two goddesses/divinities of love from ancient Africa, the Egyptian Hathor and the Nigerian Oshun. Will be coloring later...

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
I should have drawn this during Valentine's Day, but the idea kissed me too late. Oh well, better late than never.

These would be two female divinities of love and fertility from African religion and mythology. On the left is the Egyptian Hathor, and on the right is the Yoruba Oshun (from what is now Nigeria). Sometimes I feel guilty for drawing so many more Egyptian or Kushite characters than characters from other regions of Africa, so I wanted to juxtapose an Egyptian with a West African person. Egypt was the first African civilization (as well the first ancient civilization from anywhere in the world) that I ever got into, but you can't ignore the rest of the continent either.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
It may look like a big leopard, but this is my reconstruction of how the earliest lions (Panthera leo) would have looked when their species evolved in Africa during the Pliocene epoch (5.3 to 2.6 million years ago). We know from recent genetic research that, among the big cats, lions are most closely related to leopards (Panthera pardus) and then jaguars (Panthera onca), so it seems reasonable to assume that the first lions would have also inherited a spotted coat from a common ancestor with those other species. Even today, lion cubs have faint leopard-like spots that fade away as they grow up. The scruffy mane on this ancestral lion's neck is only my own artistic speculation, but I wanted to get the point across that this animal was still of the leonine lineage.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This is my artistic reconstruction of the individual known as Cheddar Man, a man who would have hunted and gathered in southwestern Great Britain around 9,100 years ago. Analysis of the genome extracted from his skeletal remains suggests that he would have possessed dark brown skin and dark hair, but also blue eyes like those of modern Northern Europeans (his mitochondrial DNA haplogroup is U5). His ancestors seem to have arrived in Britain via a now-sunken land bridge called Doggerland after the last ice age, and his people would have contributed ~10% of modern British ancestry. Unfortunately, Cheddar Man seems to have died from some sort of violence, with a lesion above his skull's right eye socket showing a sign of bone infection.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
This would be the digitally colored version of my two African love divinities, Hathor and Oshun (from Egyptian and Yoruba religious traditions, respectively).

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
Nefertari, the Egyptian Queen who was the primary wife of Pharaoh Ramses II, admires the view of her kingdom's royal capital from a high veranda.

Queen Nefertari might be hard to recognize from this angle without her distinctive vulture crown on, but surely both the Pharaohs and their consorts must have taken their headdresses off when outside the public view. I've never been a monarch myself, but I bet crowns are never comfortable to wear.

Tyrannohotep
Member # 3735

Rate Member
 -
COLORED VERSION

Nefertari, the Egyptian Queen who was the primary wife of Pharaoh Ramses II, admires the view of her kingdom's royal capital from a high veranda. During the reign of her husband, Egypt's capital would have been located in the city of Per-Ramesu (or Pi-Ramesses), near the modern city of Qantir in northeastern history. In earlier dynasties, the Egyptian capital would have been located further up the Nile in places like Men-Nefer/Memphis (near Cairo) and Waset/Thebes (modern Luxor). It tended to shift location over the country's long history (the same was true of Egypt's southern rival Kush).

Queen Nefertari might be hard to recognize from this angle without her distinctive vulture crown on, but surely both the Pharaohs and their consorts must have taken their headdresses off when outside the public view. I've never been a monarch myself, but I bet crowns are never comfortable to wear.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com