EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » BBC and Netflix make Trojan War movie with an African Achilles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BBC and Netflix make Trojan War movie with an African Achilles
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBC and Netflix team up for new take on the Iliad

-
quote:
"Troy: Fall of a City," as its title suggests, narrates the epic through the eyes of the Trojans - particularly King Priam, played by David Threlfall (of 'Noah' and 'Shameless' fame) and Queen Hecuba, portrayed by Frances O'Connor ('Cleverman', 'The Missing', 'A.I.', 'Mansfield Park').

Louis Hunter and Bella Dayne play Paris and Helen in this retelling of the Homeric tale that BBC drama boss Piers Wenger pledged "will be like nothing broadcast before: a 3,000-year-old tale crafted on a huge scale."

The series is already considered one of the most anticipated for the 2018 TV season, but casting has already sparked a certain amount of controversy, given that the role of Achilles will be played by David Gyasi, a 37-year old actor from the UK.

The son of an immigrant from Ghana, Gyasi gained praise for his work in films such as 'Interstellar' and 'Cloud Atlas', but some purists consider him a wrong choice to play the 'fair-haired' hero.

Furthermore, the role of Patroclus will be played by the South African actor Lemogang Tsipa, while Zeus will be portrayed by the British-Nigerian actor Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Hotel Rwanda).

Personally, I think the majority of actors in any film set in ancient Greece should have a dark-haired, tan-skinned Mediterranean look, since that's how I believe the majority of ancient Greeks looked. That said, migration between Africa and Greece must have taken place even in ancient times since they're each a short boat trip across the Mediterranean from one another. So while Africans in ancient Greece would have probably constituted a distinct minority of the population, their presence isn't completely improbable in my opinion.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will check out.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very nice that they are using Black actors to play the role of hero that the Greek described as Ethiopians in their history books.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lion
Banned
Member # 22807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lion   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
BBC and Netflix team up for new take on the Iliad

-
quote:
"Troy: Fall of a City," as its title suggests, narrates the epic through the eyes of the Trojans - particularly King Priam, played by David Threlfall (of 'Noah' and 'Shameless' fame) and Queen Hecuba, portrayed by Frances O'Connor ('Cleverman', 'The Missing', 'A.I.', 'Mansfield Park').

Louis Hunter and Bella Dayne play Paris and Helen in this retelling of the Homeric tale that BBC drama boss Piers Wenger pledged "will be like nothing broadcast before: a 3,000-year-old tale crafted on a huge scale."

The series is already considered one of the most anticipated for the 2018 TV season, but casting has already sparked a certain amount of controversy, given that the role of Achilles will be played by David Gyasi, a 37-year old actor from the UK.

The son of an immigrant from Ghana, Gyasi gained praise for his work in films such as 'Interstellar' and 'Cloud Atlas', but some purists consider him a wrong choice to play the 'fair-haired' hero.

Furthermore, the role of Patroclus will be played by the South African actor Lemogang Tsipa, while Zeus will be portrayed by the British-Nigerian actor Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Hotel Rwanda).

Personally, I think the majority of actors in any film set in ancient Greece should have a dark-haired, tan-skinned Mediterranean look, since that's how I believe the majority of ancient Greeks looked. That said, migration between Africa and Greece must have taken place even in ancient times since they're each a short boat trip across the Mediterranean from one another. So while Africans in ancient Greece would have probably constituted a distinct minority of the population, their presence isn't completely improbable in my opinion.
"Mediterranean look", now only lacked olive skin. Because he did not mention the migration to this place of whites, to the origin of these "tan."
Posts: 47 | From: Brazil | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't they just put Memnon king of Ethiopia in the movie?

That is because they don't want to put a whole black army in the movie.

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:

I'd like to see Memnon and his "Ethiopian" (probably Kushite) army in a Troy reenactment too!

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Shades Of Memnon author Greg Walker(Brother G)speaks to a group of youth involved with the Dzert Club, an organization that sends kids to Africa free yearly. Brother G goes into the background of his award winning historical adventure series. A great video for educators and those interested in african history

https://youtu.be/ZlboeRirEd8

Massive Egyptian Stone Statues - The Colossi of Memnon - Lost Ancient Civilizations

The Colossi of Memnon each way 720 Tons, and were carved from one piece of Quartzite stone (1000 Tons estimated prior to being cut and carved). Even more interesting, is that they originate from a stone quarry in modern day Cairo, Egypt - 420 miles (675 km) away.

https://youtu.be/ECAfKEp7j5U

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
quote:

I'd like to see Memnon and his "Ethiopian" (probably Kushite) army in a Troy reenactment too!
His army was Black. He was Ethiopian and. That army most likely indeed was Cushitic.

As a child I had a very horrible experience with a history teacher.

We (the students) were looking at this history-movie about the Horse of Trojan. And that teacher looked at me with hate in his eyes. I never understood why, until later in life when I started to read about history.

That same man (teacher) did horrible things to me, like giving me low-grades on purpose, although my work was excellent.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com