EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Need help brainstorming for a novel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help brainstorming for a novel
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past few months, I've been working on a historical fantasy novel set in an alternate timeline wherein the ancient Egyptians established a colony on the coast of Greece. The story will be about an Egyptian priestess who grew up in the colony and wants to defend it from annihilation at the hands of a Mycenaean Greek insurgency. Of course, the premise was inspired by certain Greek legends about Egyptians settling in Greece (e.g. the Danaides and the "black doves" of Dodona).

What I want to get a better sense of right now is how the Egyptian colony in my story got set up. I originally envisioned it as being established circa 1900 BC during the Middle Kingdom, but the story itself takes place later in 1600 BC (this is 50 years after the Hyksos seized control of northern Egypt as well as the period when the Mycenaean civilization got started). In this case, the colony's founding would have been motivated by trade, extracting native Greek resources, and maybe monitoring piracy in the Aegean sea.

However, my mom suggested that my Egyptian colonists would instead be refugees from northern Egypt fleeing the Hyksos in 1650 BC. Personally, I don't like that suggestion as I would think any Egyptians fleeing the Hyksos would move further south into Upper Egypt (where they would be guaranteed to be among their own people), and fifty years isn't a lot of time to set up a colony before the story begins in 1600 BC. Plus, I want the Egyptians in the colony to be from various parts of Egypt rather than all northern Egyptian (e.g. the heroine is of Upper Egyptian descent on her mother's side and Lower Egyptian on her father's).

So which scenario would you guys prefer?

A) Egyptians colonizing Greece in 1900 BC, then getting cut off from their mother country in 1650 BC courtesy of the Hyksos, and finally facing extermination by the Mycenaean insurgents.

B) Egyptians fleeing northern Egypt in 1650 BC before being targeted for extermination by the Mycenaeans in 1600 BC.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshaT
Member # 22658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshaT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vibing more with A tbh. The refugee thing has been done before.
Posts: 24 | From: Jamaica | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AshaT:
Vibing more with A tbh. The refugee thing has been done before.

Which stories have you seen recently dealing with the theme of refugees?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

By the way, this is a map of my setting:
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
[QB] Over the past few months, I've been working on a historical fantasy novel set in an alternate timeline wherein the ancient Egyptians established a colony on the coast of Greece.

Bernal and others earlier said the Egyptians colonized Greece based on Herodotus

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=%22egyptians+colonized+greece%22

this book for instance, published in 1783

https://books.google.com/books?id=278rAQAAMAAJ&pg=PP49&dq=%22egyptians+colonized+g

Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshaT
Member # 22658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshaT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's less specific stories and more the concept. Hell, even the Romans were saying their first settlers were refugees from Troy. The 'persecuted people who would really just like a break and hey look here's this special person who'll rep them' is just kind of old to me.
Posts: 24 | From: Jamaica | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

I decided to go with scenario A. I'm currently five chapters and >9.5k into the story, by the way. Also, I reworked my map a bit:

-

The colony has been renamed Per-Pehu, which should mean "House of the North" in ancient Egyptian.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Just wanted to announce that I've finished Ch. 7 of the novel this morning. Overall the manuscript has almost 13,000 words in it. Onto Ch. 8 and beyond!

In the meantime, enjoy this concept art for Itaweret, the Egyptian priestess from Per-Pehu who is the heroine of our story:
 -

And this is her interacting with the main antagonist, King Scylax of Mycenae:
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Chapter 8 complete. Now onto Chapter 9!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Almost done with Chapter 9. In the meantime, enjoy this concept art of Bek, Itaweret's younger brother.
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Chapter 9 is done, and Chapter 10 is already underway!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Chapter 10 is done!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

While I'm working on Chapter 11, please enjoy this concept art of Per-Pehu, my Egyptian colony in Greece:
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Still working on Ch. 11. But I want to share a couple of more concept art pieces, each representing a different culture featured in the novel.

-
This man represents the Pelasgians, who are supposed to be the autochthonous inhabitants of Greece prior to the arrival of the Greeks proper from Asia Minor. For the purposes of my novel, I have chosen to portray them as a race of brown-skinned, blue-eyed hunter-gatherers whose culture has left behind cave paintings and Stonehenge-style megalithic ritual sites. Oh, and these Pelasgians also have a special fondness for making jewelry and artifacts out of silver, which they bury with the bodies of their deceased leaders.

-
Although he doesn't have a name yet, the character is supposed to be the king of Troy on the western coast of Anatolia (now Turkey), and the Egyptian priestess Itaweret is going to request his aid against Scylax of Mycenae. However, the Trojan king is reluctant to get involved in overseas affairs that don't affect his own people. Anyway, his attire is inspired by that of the ancient Hittites, a people who occupied central Anatolia during the Bronze Age. I figured ancient Trojan culture might have been influenced by that of the Hittite Empire.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Finished Chapter 12 today!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Autshumato
Member # 22722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autshumato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you all done now? Beautiful art work!

--------------------
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Posts: 195 | From: Southern Africa(Azania) | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Autshumato:
Are you all done now? Beautiful art work!

It will take a while, but I plan to be done with the first draft halfway through the year. And thanks!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Off-topic, but I wanted to share this anyway:

-

This is a design for an illustrated “waifu pillow” (or dakimakura) starring the female Egyptian Pharaoh Hatshepsut. I did this as a commission for a guy on DeviantArt, and I gotta say it was a pretty appealing subject to draw (for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who knows me [Wink] ).

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Two days ago, I finished the last chapter (Ch. 30) of my novel's first draft. I'll be taking a break for about a week or two, and then onto the revision and polishing!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com