EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Are the "Tropico" games erasing black people from the Caribbean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are the "Tropico" games erasing black people from the Caribbean?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a series of computer games in the city-building genre calling Tropico, wherein you play as the dictatorial leader (or "El Presidente") of a small island in the Caribbean. At least, the games are almost all supposed to be set in the Caribbean. However, I've noticed that the predominant cultural flavor in each game is based more on Spanish-speaking Latin America, and almost all the characters appear to be of Spanish or "mestizo" descent like stereotypical Hispanics rather than Afro-Caribbeans. Later games do allow you to choose a black ethnicity for your in-game "Presidente" avatar (the other choices being Asian, European, and standard Hispanic), but that seems to be it as far as Afro-Caribbean representation goes.

Don't you think this is a bit strange for games set in the Caribbean? Are the developers more comfortable populating their game world with Hispanic rather than Afro-Caribbean characters for some reason?

Find more about the series here.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com